Character bios

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, I'm guessing Annette most likely tonight, followed by Sylvain on Tuesday night, and then Ingrid the following night.

Then it'll be curious to see if they immediately follow up with another trailer or wait a week.

8 minutes ago, Sentinel07 said:

So, I'm guessing Annette most likely tonight, followed by Sylvain on Tuesday night, and then Ingrid the following night.

Then it'll be curious to see if they immediately follow up with another trailer or wait a week.

I'm going to say they are absolutely doing weekly trailers. If they wanted to, they could have stalled further by separating character profiles and moveset profiles, but they aren't.

Edit:

Plus, if trailers were biweekly, they wouldn't even be done revealing students until 2 weeks before release.

Edited by Fabulously Olivier

26 minutes ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

I'm going to say they are absolutely doing weekly trailers. If they wanted to, they could have stalled further by separating character profiles and moveset profiles, but they aren't.

That is true.

The old stalling images from Feb/Mar are honestly now consolidated with the profiles / skill and class descriptions, so I'd be shocked if we didn't get Friday trailers.

And if we're anticipating a demo, 2 weeks is cutting it a bit thin.

I'm absolutely anticipating a demo. But with Age of Calamity, the game had a mere 2 month announement to release cycle (compared to this one's 4.5 month) with a demo halfway. And that demo got datamined for characters. They'll probably want to reveal all/most base roster characters before the demo.

Two big things here:

- it's quite probable that the wind imbued magic orbs (green and have the wind blade visual effect) Annette casts before her not-musou not-Excalibur (three converging tornadoes) charge attack are as a result of her self buff.

- I think the music notes are the visual cue for the buff being in effect. I don't think it appears in her musous (assuming the Bolt Axe is a musou - second for Mage or otherwise - and also the particles near her during the musou not-Excalibur [tall cinematic tornado] appear a bit too spherical), but they seem to be able to persist through her charge attacks (see her not-Bolganone).

Quite a cute reference to her large pool of rally skills - I guess I should just call this the Rally buff then, lol

She also has a crest of Dominic appear in her casting circles, which is an added touch compared with base 3H.

Speculation:

- I'm not sure if her allies would also have music notes on them if they are in her personal Rally zone or not. I'd at least expect some sort of HUD indicator to identify what buff is in effect however...

- would the Rally buff be on timer, or deactivated on taking damage / using musou / some other arbitrary condition? The music notes seem to disappear as her not-Excalibur charge attack finishes.

- If she's able to use her Rally personal outside of Mage, it begs the question: are C1s character and class dependent (e.g. you can't get Felix to have flash step on Brawler), or would they be just character dependent (in which case it very well could be input with ZR or a similar Unique Action input)?

- critical... rate? The choice of wording (at least in English translation, but DeepL and Google both call クリティカル率 "critical rate") does feel like it's suggesting the WPG may not quite return in the way we're used to (if at all)...

I am liking the move towards passive/random effects (crit rate, element procs, rallies, Pirate Warriors 3 pair up system) in general because it lets you focus on the action rather than micromanaging additional gauges, or it frees up actions to add in new mechanics.

Also, I won't miss the WPG. All it really did was interrupt combat with cutscenes of death, and turn combat into "spam strong V if advantage, strong IV then strong V if neutral."

3 hours ago, Sentinel07 said:

Glad they're keeping Annette's support niche from Three Houses and Heroes.

It's impressive how hard they're focusing on character related details. 

@ the "preferred classes" thing, from the Japanese wording it sounds like there might be some sort of system that makes characters better/worse at some classes, perhaps as a replacement for skill prowess? It could be nothing and just that these characters will naturally do well in these classes because of their stats or whatnot, but guess we'll have to wait for more information about the mechanics.

1 hour ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

FYI on the topic of demos, Touken Ranbu Musou just got its English demo today, 1 week before release. So actually, 1-2 weeks beforehand is entirely within the realm of possibility for Koei (cough Summer Game Fest direct demo drop cough).

That would also give Nintendo enough time to release a trailer for all three houses + one more batch of characters. (Church/Ashen Wolves/a few OCs in order to stretch until the Direct.) And 18 days before launch...not what I'd like personally, but as you say, it's entirely within the realm of possibility. 

1 hour ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

@ the "preferred classes" thing, from the Japanese wording it sounds like there might be some sort of system that makes characters better/worse at some classes, perhaps as a replacement for skill prowess? It could be nothing and just that these characters will naturally do well in these classes because of their stats or whatnot, but guess we'll have to wait for more information about the mechanics.

I think its going to work akin to SW5 or the Dynasty Warriors. Technically everyone can wield any class/weapon but if its not your prefered one you'll miss out on the better combos from that particular moveset. 

A pretty straightforward, yet still quite potent personal skill here.

Given the cav mobility + already solid range on the lance moveset, buffing its damage output and range (I think this is indicated by the lance effects turning vermilion as opposed to the orange it starts out with) will only serve to make him an excellent all around unit (and if weapons can have that sort of buff-per-100 kills effect, this will make Sylvain snowball hard). Dashing mashed-C1 meta? /s

I suspect that the powered up state is time dependent, since after C5 the lance still has a vermilion glow; and it might be my eyes, but the orange at the beginning of Sylvain's section looks a touch more intense than just after his dash forward musou...?

So he has a built in Fury builder? Still not enough for me to play him, can’t wait to beat him up in it. Cavalier will probably have a lot of forward movement but good luck with turning.

14 hours ago, Use the Falchion said:

That would also give Nintendo enough time to release a trailer for all three houses + one more batch of characters. (Church/Ashen Wolves/a few OCs in order to stretch until the Direct.) And 18 days before launch...not what I'd like personally, but as you say, it's entirely within the realm of possibility. 

Well, look at it this way. The longer the wait till the demo, the better our roster is likely to be. More time for more trailers.

Also, weird that they changed Sylvain's personal to work like Sophia's from Persona 5 Strikers. This actually seems like it should have been Byleth's personal.

5 hours ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

Well, look at it this way. The longer the wait till the demo, the better our roster is likely to be. More time for more trailers.

Also, weird that they changed Sylvain's personal to work like Sophia's from Persona 5 Strikers. This actually seems like it should have been Byleth's personal.

Nah. It works great on Sylvain especially with his specific classes and weapon of choice.

Okay, so here's an interesting topic I've had some discussion on. Why is Felix specifically showcased in an Advanced Class (Swordmaster) while everyone else is a lower-tier class?

Is he a pre-promote? Does he become playable late in the BL story? Or is it just a coincidence and he's just like everyone else.

13 minutes ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

Okay, so here's an interesting topic I've had some discussion on. Why is Felix specifically showcased in an Advanced Class (Swordmaster) while everyone else is a lower-tier class?

Is he a pre-promote? Does he become playable late in the BL story? Or is it just a coincidence and he's just like everyone else.

Does Mercenary have the same stance in game as Swordmaster? My poor memory tells me they don't.

One would think by past FE convention that Myrmidon -> Swordmaster and Mercenary -> Hero, but of course 3H has them as Myrm (Beginner) -> Merc (Intermediate) -> SM or Hero (both Advanced).
Unless they're pushing for Mortal Savant as the promoted SM, and Hero as the promoted Merc...

Not sure how Savant would particularly deviate from SM in terms of core moveset unless there's magic enhanced range of attacks on certain moves, I guess...

2 minutes ago, tipperthescales said:

Does Mercenary have the same stance in game as Swordmaster? My poor memory tells me they don't.

One would think by past FE convention that Myrmidon -> Swordmaster and Mercenary -> Hero, but of course 3H has them as Myrm (Beginner) -> Merc (Intermediate) -> SM or Hero (both Advanced).
Unless they're pushing for Mortal Savant as the promoted SM, and Hero as the promoted Merc...

Not sure how Savant would particularly deviate from SM in terms of core moveset unless there's magic enhanced range of attacks on certain moves, I guess...

I'm actually of the mind that the 3H class trees would be incredibly awkward for a musou game, because everyone would be reverse funneled through few movesets before switching to their canon ones.

I actually think the class structure is going to be more traditional, with requirements for the lower end classes basically non-existent.

Mercenary -> Hero

Myrmidon -> Swordmaster

Soldier -> Halberdier... just getting, they'll screw me over again

Thief -> Assassin

Mage -> Warlock

Priest -> Bishop

Archer -> Sniper

Armor Knight -> Fortress Knight

Brawler -> Grappler

Brigand -> Berserker

Fighter -> Warrior

Cavalier -> Paladin

Axe Knight -> Great Knight

Nomad -> Bow Knight

Troubadour -> Holy Knight

Something -> Dark Knight

3 hours ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

Maybe they try to incorporate the plotpoint where Felix defects to Cornelia? There's unused data about Felix and Annette being enemies in Cornelia's map. Going by the dialogue Felix is angry Dimitri caused his dad to die, while Annette tries to protect her mother. 

In that case Felix could spend the first few chapters as an enemy and by the time he rejoins everyone is already in their advanced class stage. 

Edited by Etrurian emperor

RE: Felix in Swordmaster: don't think about it too hard. Either they just wanted to showcase that class for him or it's on the same level as the others in this game.

Though, I'm all for them simplifying the class structure in this game. While I'm not sure it would be as problematic here, Three Houses' completely open-ended class system was one of its major design flaws.

26 minutes ago, Florete said:

RE: Felix in Swordmaster: don't think about it too hard. Either they just wanted to showcase that class for him or it's on the same level as the others in this game.

Though, I'm all for them simplifying the class structure in this game. While I'm not sure it would be as problematic here, Three Houses' completely open-ended class system was one of its major design flaws.

The reason it would be a big, big problem here, even worse than 3H, is imagine this. Everyone starts as a Myrmidon, Fighter, Soldier, or Monk. Just 4 starting movesets. Or worse, one or two starting movesets in Noble/Commoner (nevermind that I couldn't imagine them giving them movesets unless they promote to Lord -> Great Lord and Merchant -> Apothecary or something). That makes a terrible first impression. Whereas with a more simplified, traditional system, everyone starts in their preferred moveset. Much better first impression.