Character bios

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

Ignatz' profile just soft confirmed that enemies have elemental weaknesses.

Does it? I assumed by "elemental damage" it just refers to the side-effects elements have, like ice freezing enemies, wind launching enemies into the air, etc.

I could imagine Demonic Beasts and the like potentially having elemental weaknesses, but it'd be kinda weird and arbitrary if generic enemy soldier classes had them, like archers being weak to ice or swordmasters being weak to fire.

1 minute ago, Anomalocaris said:

Does it? I assumed by "elemental damage" it just refers to the side-effects elements have, like ice freezing enemies, wind launching enemies into the air, etc.

I could imagine Demonic Beasts and the like potentially having elemental weaknesses, but it'd be kinda weird and arbitrary if generic enemy soldier classes had them, like archers being weak to ice or swordmasters being weak to fire.

The problem with that is that the elements don't necessarily seem to do the same thing per character. IE: Dimitri's lightning knocks foes away and spreads, while Hilda's drags them in. They're both cc, but they're distinctly opposite cc.

And on an individual level, it makes sense for say, flying enemies to be weak to wind, draconic enemies and potentially armors to be weak to lightning, horses and wolves to be weak to fire, and demonic beasts to be weak to light.

10 hours ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

The paint mechanic really sounds a lot like Dimitri's lightning mechanic. Just more colorful.

Edit:

Ignatz' profile just soft confirmed that enemies have elemental weaknesses.

Elements have done damage  before without elemental weaknesses being a thing

Just now, Fabulously Olivier said:

Sure they have. But why is there a distinction at all if that distinction isn't meaningful?

If I were to take a guess with the limited knowledge we have on how the game works; either elements and their damage could scale with a specific stat (likely Luck if this were the case), or they're impacted by specific weapon attributes or skills and wouldn't be effected by generic damage increases

2 minutes ago, Vexal said:

If I were to take a guess with the limited knowledge we have on how the game works; either elements and their damage could scale with a specific stat (likely Luck if this were the case), or they're impacted by specific weapon attributes or skills and wouldn't be effected by generic damage increases

That's certainly a possibility, but it still isn't a great justification for a character having multiple elements, and it would make multi-element characters strictly worse than those focused on one element (after all, only having to devote one weapon mod to fire is better than devoting three to fire, wind, and ice).

Huh, she's promoted. Given that the main change is afterglow buff (and thus range), this probably just means Priest / Bishop share the same overall combat strings (as seen comparing Linhardt and Marianne in footage).

Snowball rain being dependent on chaining hits is... reasonable enough (especially given that they're in close proximity to her).

That could just be because they're last, to showcase more movesets and class promotions.

But in that case, Leonie really should be a Bow Knight. She has the quivers. She is more strongly associated with the class than anyone else. And ending the trailer (and likely character profiles) on cavalier Leonie really is anticlimactic.

So the main site gave a rundown of the stories for each of the houses.

"Align with Edelgard as her army conquers areas of Fódlan to flush out dark forces and rebuild a more just society."

"Ally with Dimitri as he navigates a messy succession in the Holy Kingdom of Faerghus and fends off the encroaching Adrestian Empire."

"Join with Claude to build a strong foundation as the Leicester Alliance fends off the Almyran army."

Seems like Almyra might get upgraded from the non entity it was in TH. 

Interesting and informative update! 

All three have a sort of underlying theme of "build the interior while defending from external/existential threats" going on. 

Scarlet Blaze feels most like its Three Houses counterpart Crimson Flower in terms of hint/synopsis given. I'm not sure what to make of that, but I'm curious as to what the changes will be. I will say that I sort of feel like we'll get more Agarthan lore and information in this route compared to the other two. I think that this route may address Fodlan's deep lore while Verdant Wildfire addresses Fodlan's relationship with its neighbors and Azure Gleam addresses Fodlan's immediate problems. Or not, I don't really know. 

VW's (funny, I never noticed the initials for both of Claude's routes are the same) has an Almyran invasion, something that clearly didn't happen in Three Houses, and I'm curious as to why it's happening here. What changed to make Almyra okay with invading? What does Byleth have to do with that, if anything at all? Will we see Claude's parents in this route?

Azure Gleam's "messy succession" is both the most worrying and most intriguing to me, as there are a few routes I think it can take (although I'm pretty sure they'll go with the path of least resistance and the story will feel similar to Azure Moon). My first thought for the "messy succession" was the question "who or what would make a succession messy?" The Kingdom has a very clear pecking order in terms of rulership - you have the Royal Family, and the child with the Crest is the Heir. King Lambert was the second son, not unlike Sylvain, and Dimitri does mention that his uncle Rufus is his regent for the time. Could Rufus, a previously unseen character, have decided to take over the Kingdom since he's been effectively ruling it for years, causing a "messy succession?" Maybe the uncle has a child, and the uncle wants to put that child on the throne...or maybe multiple children, since he's apparently a womanizer. This child or children (and Rufus himself) could account for a new character(s) in the Blue Lions route that we haven't seen, compared to the Black Eagles being seen with Monica and Count Bergliez potentially playing a part while the Goldeen Deer have Holst and the Mysterious Almyran. 

My most wildcard guess for Azure Gleam is that Edelgard is outed as Dimitri's (step)sister (or maybe she remembers on her own) and she uses that to justify an invasion into the Kingdom. From there, it's a split between Imperial and Kingdom factions. I don't think that will be the case, but that's why it's a wildcard guess.

Still, I think the most likely scenario is that Cornelia and her allies are causing problems for everything else. 

This also makes me think that we'll be seeing at least one of the Lords team up with each other on certain routes: 

Azure Gleam - I think the Claude & Dimitri back-to-back scene was from this route. Edelgard's invasion pressures the Alliance as well; we see that constantly in Three Houses. It's sense for Claude to finally join Dimitri in fending off the Empire. (If so, and recruiting is still a thing, then this may be my favorite route of the seven between the two games total.)

Scarlet Blaze - I think this is the route that Edelgard and Dimitri team up on. We see a scene with Edelgard rushing to attack someone while Dimitri is in the background in the second trailer. They're clearly not enemies, which would be hard to do on Dimitri's route, given that she's probably leading an invasion. 

Golden Wildfire - This is the trickiest of them all. I think the scenes where Dimitri attacks Claude, Edelgard greets Claude, and Claude interrupts Dimitri and Edelgard from attacking each other are all from this route. (Or maybe the third is from a Golden Route?) I think Almyra's open warfare is going to cause Claude to seek out his peers for an alliance.

It's also interesting that Shez and Co were on a mission to "fell the Ashen Demon." That's very intriguing. Who paid for this mission? Was this a routine thing, or an organized strike by darker forces?

Overall, I think that this update means that a demo is coming soon, maybe even this Friday! That stinks though, since it probably means that there's no Church of Seiros* trailer, unless the two are one and the same. (It's possible, but I'm not sure how likely.) So much information, yet so many questions left remaining...I can't wait! 

*I won't say that they won't be in the game just yet, but since Shez is a student, a focus on the faculty may be less likely. They may be bonus/post-game characters. And honestly, I'd be okay with that, so long as they're in the game and have supports. 

2 minutes ago, Use the Falchion said:

Interesting and informative update! 

All three have a sort of underlying theme of "build the interior while defending from external/existential threats" going on. 

Scarlet Blaze feels most like its Three Houses counterpart Crimson Flower in terms of hint/synopsis given. I'm not sure what to make of that, but I'm curious as to what the changes will be. I will say that I sort of feel like we'll get more Agarthan lore and information in this route compared to the other two. I think that this route may address Fodlan's deep lore while Verdant Wildfire addresses Fodlan's relationship with its neighbors and Azure Gleam addresses Fodlan's immediate problems. Or not, I don't really know. 

VW's (funny, I never noticed the initials for both of Claude's routes are the same) has an Almyran invasion, something that clearly didn't happen in Three Houses, and I'm curious as to why it's happening here. What changed to make Almyra okay with invading? What does Byleth have to do with that, if anything at all? Will we see Claude's parents in this route?

Azure Gleam's "messy succession" is both the most worrying and most intriguing to me, as there are a few routes I think it can take (although I'm pretty sure they'll go with the path of least resistance and the story will feel similar to Azure Moon). My first thought for the "messy succession" was the question "who or what would make a succession messy?" The Kingdom has a very clear pecking order in terms of rulership - you have the Royal Family, and the child with the Crest is the Heir. King Lambert was the second son, not unlike Sylvain, and Dimitri does mention that his uncle Rufus is his regent for the time. Could Rufus, a previously unseen character, have decided to take over the Kingdom since he's been effectively ruling it for years, causing a "messy succession?" Maybe the uncle has a child, and the uncle wants to put that child on the throne...or maybe multiple children, since he's apparently a womanizer. This child or children (and Rufus himself) could account for a new character(s) in the Blue Lions route that we haven't seen, compared to the Black Eagles being seen with Monica and Count Bergliez potentially playing a part while the Goldeen Deer have Holst and the Mysterious Almyran. 

My most wildcard guess for Azure Gleam is that Edelgard is outed as Dimitri's (step)sister (or maybe she remembers on her own) and she uses that to justify an invasion into the Kingdom. From there, it's a split between Imperial and Kingdom factions. I don't think that will be the case, but that's why it's a wildcard guess.

Still, I think the most likely scenario is that Cornelia and her allies are causing problems for everything else. 

This also makes me think that we'll be seeing at least one of the Lords team up with each other on certain routes: 

Azure Gleam - I think the Claude & Dimitri back-to-back scene was from this route. Edelgard's invasion pressures the Alliance as well; we see that constantly in Three Houses. It's sense for Claude to finally join Dimitri in fending off the Empire. (If so, and recruiting is still a thing, then this may be my favorite route of the seven between the two games total.)

Scarlet Blaze - I think this is the route that Edelgard and Dimitri team up on. We see a scene with Edelgard rushing to attack someone while Dimitri is in the background in the second trailer. They're clearly not enemies, which would be hard to do on Dimitri's route, given that she's probably leading an invasion. 

Golden Wildfire - This is the trickiest of them all. I think the scenes where Dimitri attacks Claude, Edelgard greets Claude, and Claude interrupts Dimitri and Edelgard from attacking each other are all from this route. (Or maybe the third is from a Golden Route?) I think Almyra's open warfare is going to cause Claude to seek out his peers for an alliance.

It's also interesting that Shez and Co were on a mission to "fell the Ashen Demon." That's very intriguing. Who paid for this mission? Was this a routine thing, or an organized strike by darker forces?

Overall, I think that this update means that a demo is coming soon, maybe even this Friday! That stinks though, since it probably means that there's no Church of Seiros* trailer, unless the two are one and the same. (It's possible, but I'm not sure how likely.) So much information, yet so many questions left remaining...I can't wait! 

*I won't say that they won't be in the game just yet, but since Shez is a student, a focus on the faculty may be less likely. They may be bonus/post-game characters. And honestly, I'd be okay with that, so long as they're in the game and have supports. 

2 house alliances would actually be great. While it isn't a Golden Route, and some players may feel disappointed at not being able to make teams with characters from all three, it does solve the fundamental issue of Three Houses that recruiting leaves one with no one of significance to fight.

No Church/Wolves would certainly be disappointing, as having a Warriors game where your whole roster is set and frontloaded (your house) would be pretty disappointing from a reward standpoint.

25 minutes ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

2 house alliances would actually be great. While it isn't a Golden Route, and some players may feel disappointed at not being able to make teams with characters from all three, it does solve the fundamental issue of Three Houses that recruiting leaves one with no one of significance to fight.

It's also entirely possible that the Golden Deer is a Golden Route in the same way Revelation is. Maybe it's a route meant to be played last where all potential playable characters team up to stop an invasion, echoing Nemesis. Maybe that's why the Goldeen Deer have some units who seem to be in higher classes, because the difficulty will be higher from the start. Or not. I'm just spitballing at this point lol. 

27 minutes ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

No Church/Wolves would certainly be disappointing, as having a Warriors game where your whole roster is set and frontloaded (your house) would be pretty disappointing from a reward standpoint.

Agreed. Even from a Fire Emblem standpoint, starting the game with every character is something of a downer at times IMO. There's fun to be had in meeting members you'll recruit later, or seeing new characters and recruiting them. It's a pleasant surprise. 

17 minutes ago, Use the Falchion said:

It's also entirely possible that the Golden Deer is a Golden Route in the same way Revelation is. Maybe it's a route meant to be played last where all potential playable characters team up to stop an invasion, echoing Nemesis. Maybe that's why the Goldeen Deer have some units who seem to be in higher classes, because the difficulty will be higher from the start. Or not. I'm just spitballing at this point lol. 

Agreed. Even from a Fire Emblem standpoint, starting the game with every character is something of a downer at times IMO. There's fun to be had in meeting members you'll recruit later, or seeing new characters and recruiting them. It's a pleasant surprise. 

I really, realllllllly don't think they'd select any one house route as a Golden Route, because that is punishing to fans of other Houses who are effectively now less valid, as well as to GD fans who don't want a Golden Route.

If there is a Golden Route, it's probably either a DLC thing, or an optional branch in every route's story. All Stars had branches with multiple endings, so it's doable.

Edited by Fabulously Olivier

The confirmation of what the routes will be about has solidified my choice, Golden Wildfire first, Azure Gleem second, Scarlet Blaze last. 

The mention of "messy succession" in the kingdom makes me wonder if Rufus, Dimitri`s uncle, will be involved somehow, since he is the only other royal of Fhaergus we know of. Unless he got some bastard children roaming around. 

I feel like the messy succession will more so involve Cornelia and her framing Dimitri for Rufus' murder rather than anything to do with a bastard child. It could be the case that with Shez, Dedue never had to replace Dimitri and fake his death to save him and instead Dimitri and a force of crown loyalists are fighting against Cornelia and imperial rule in Faerghus.

Interesting to see we're getting more of Almyra. Makes me curious now to see who that obvious relation of Claude is.

I'm interested to see how Edelgard's route turns out though. It feels like, out of all the routes, it may end up the most retconny to what we get in the main game.

I wonder how they'll end up depicting Almyra. Due to being more Asian inspired you can't exactly recolor the usual Fodlandian mooks and call it a day. I guess their officers will lean towards Wyvren riders and horse archers, but their standard infantry also must look rather unique.

One problem Almyran focused stages might have is the lack of characters. If you're the empire then you get to fight the Lion students and vice versa, but with Almyra as an enemy you might be stuck fighting a lot of generics. That always makes stages kinda boring. 

The original game just used recycled Fodlan mooks for the Almyran grunts, so I don't think they'll do much different here. They might darken their skintones to look more like Cyril and Claude's, at least, like they did with the Duscur.

Edited by Anomalocaris

Every faction in Three Houses had some colour pallet associated with them and Almyrans had the same dark green pallet that Cryil, Shamir and I think Hapi had so I presume they'll just use that for them and give them darker skin tones like how they gave the Agarthans purple skin and the Duscurians you fight in Dedue's paralogue dark skin. I'm sure they already have tbh, but I never checked what the Almyrans looked liked on maps where they were (also most of them are wyvern riders or cavaliers and so you can't really see any skin)

EDIT:
Also not sure if anyone has seen but on the US website for Three Hopes, there is a download demo option. Not sure if this implies we're getting a demo soon but just said I'd point it out.

https://www.nintendo.com/store/products/fire-emblem-warriors-three-hopes-switch/

Edited by Azz

5 hours ago, Metal Flash said:

The confirmation of what the routes will be about has solidified my choice, Golden Wildfire first, Azure Gleem second, Scarlet Blaze last. 

The mention of "messy succession" in the kingdom makes me wonder if Rufus, Dimitri`s uncle, will be involved somehow, since he is the only other royal of Fhaergus we know of. Unless he got some bastard children roaming around. 

5 hours ago, Azz said:

I feel like the messy succession will more so involve Cornelia and her framing Dimitri for Rufus' murder rather than anything to do with a bastard child. It could be the case that with Shez, Dedue never had to replace Dimitri and fake his death to save him and instead Dimitri and a force of crown loyalists are fighting against Cornelia and imperial rule in Faerghus.

Interesting to see we're getting more of Almyra. Makes me curious now to see who that obvious relation of Claude is.

I'm interested to see how Edelgard's route turns out though. It feels like, out of all the routes, it may end up the most retconny to what we get in the main game.

Agreed with Azz that the messy succession is more likely about Cornelia's coup. Still, it could be interesting if Rufus is involved beyond Dimitri being framed for his murder. It seems that Rufus was content to be regent and dally with women and probably not too interested in actual governance (as evidenced by the instability in the Kingdom shown during Sylvain's and Felix's paralogues), but he may still have enjoyed the status with being "His Majesty." Maybe Cornelia tempts Rufus as Dimitri comes of age and the sun sets on his regency into betraying his nephew. That would actually not contradict the original Three Houses, just that Cornelia tempted and lured Rufus before ultimately betraying and murdering him to pin it on Dimitri.

In Crimson Flower, Dimitri does mention to Rhea that should he die at Tailtean (Chapter 17 battlefield) the Blaiddyd bloodline would live on. I always thought that implied Dimitri has cousins through Rufus (rather than his own children).

Edited by FashionEmblem

9 hours ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

Also, this is the first confirmation of character swapping (not that there was much doubt). And there's slick new UI to display side objectives with their timers.

Which image on the microsite are these shown? If it's this one this doesn't seem to tell us anything new from before (the timer indicator was already present with the pre-Mercenary Amazon.jp teaser images iirc).

Definitely going GW first with the synopses as mentioned; I may actually go SB second and AG third.

On the note of 'no recruitment', do we think that we might actually get staggered roster introductions even within each house? (noting from Mysterious Mercenary that on the map with Issue Orders, Edelgard / Shez / Bernadetta were there in both cases, but the 4th slot was Hubert once, and Monica the other time)

Also can someone remind me if that shield icon next to the allied Monk in the image I linked above has been seen before?

3 hours ago, Azz said:

EDIT:
Also not sure if anyone has seen but on the US website for Three Hopes, there is a download demo option. Not sure if this implies we're getting a demo soon but just said I'd point it out.

https://www.nintendo.com/store/products/fire-emblem-warriors-three-hopes-switch/

Nice find man! Maybe we'll get one soon after friday's trailer(?). Trying to download it right now gives you an error, so I assume it wasn't meant to be unlocked so soon.