A question on Count Varley (Bernadetta's Dad)

Well since we know that Hilda's Brother Holst and pretty sure that Caspar's Dad Count Bergliez will appear in this game. One other unseen NPC that many those who played Three Houses who wanted to see was Count Varley, Bernadetta's father. Of course the reason was to get the chance to strike Count Varley down and make him pay for abusing his daughter in which he is the main reason why she is so incredibly anxious. If the Count does appear then my guess would be that it would happen in one of 3 ways.

A. Nintendo & KT plays up Count Varley's abusive ways and easily making him one of the more malicious villians in 3 Hopes. In other words play Count Varley as an unrepetent abusive classist bigot who at first gets away with his deeds due to his noble status in the Empire. But it would make things sweeter once you do get to take him down.

B. Turns out that Count Varley is actually more stern & strict than outright abusive. While many games will at first be confused and in some cases disappointed. However someone will bring up how in the Japanese version of 3 Houses, Barnadetta was raised to be a "Yamato Nadeshiko" which is a Japanese term for "Ideal Wife". But since most Americans would not be familiar with the term, the localization made Count Varley a lot more abusive to make Bernadetta's anxiety seem more understandable. After all there is a reason why Count Varley only got a House Arrest in 3 Houses.

C. A bit of both of the above. Namely Count Varley seems to be a stern but otherwise normal & rational person at first. But later on in the game, perhaps after secretly making a deal with TWSITD and getting more power in the Empire. Then Count Varley drops any pretense of decency then becomes much more openly villainous as a result.

Personally I'm thinking A but maybe C if the game is going to be generous to the Empire. (Though to be fair it could potentially differ depending on which route you go to.) So what do you folks think?

I'm gonna go with option D.  Count Varley is a rather strict but otherwise rational person, until he's alone with his daughter.  Then he lets his inner monster out.  Would make for a hell of a reveal, if done right.

I once thought of ways to write him as a boss. From what little characterization we have of him, it seems he's not sadistic, but rather uncaring and emotionally detached, given from the fact that he gives up on the abuse and instead just ignoring her after realizing she wasn't going to turn out to be the bargaining chip he hoped for. The only potential route for redeeming qualities, IMO, would be in response to Bernadetta's death, and realizing too late that his family is more than just a tool to manipulate for his own ends.

Although, that's just how I would write it, and I prefer humanized villains with plausible motives. Realistically speaking, I think A is how it's going to go down, but I would prefer B, because I think "evil father" is just too static for a minor villain.

He already did get a bit of redemption/justification in the DLC for Three Houses, during Yuri and Bernadetta's A support:

Spoiler
  • Yuri: Because I want you to look at it objectively. I was hired to kill you. Your father protected you from me, a filthy assassin. He was looking out for you. You're lucky to have a father who cares for you enough to do that.
  • Bernadetta: Father... protected me? He... protected me...

Personally, I hope he doesn't show up in Three Hopes. I'm already not really a fan of Bernadetta's because of how inconsistently she's presented, and I suspect that a more prominent Count Varley would only end up making that worse.

Yeah I'd be really worried at this point that any further Count Varley inclusion would continue that weird path of trying to redeem him, and there's few things I want to see less. The snippet lenticular posted is my least favourite text in all of Three Houses.

1 hour ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

Yeah I'd be really worried at this point that any further Count Varley inclusion would continue that weird path of trying to redeem him, and there's few things I want to see less. The snippet lenticular posted is my least favourite text in all of Three Houses.

Yup I seen that line as a massive cop out.

If the Count appears (and that's probably a big if) I imagine he'll just be a generic captain with a name slapped on. I can't see the devs investing much time into developing him and fleshing out a plot thread given how many characters with heavy billing the game will have to juggle.

(Warning: The Following is a long post.)  

Oh to be honest I have came up with all sorts of story ideas regarding Count Varley. One example would be that Count Varley learns of how Lysithea became such a magical prodigy due to how her family once got a special visit from "certain men" from the Empire during her youth. In which this gets Count Varley intrigued to see if this research could make Bernadetta more useful by improving her crest abilities. Needless to say this gets Lysithea rather concerned and Edelgard rather infuriated.

One other idea I had was that the TWSITD will play up their villainous ways so much it would get Edelgard to seriously consider dealing with them a lot sooner. One example would be that Lord Arrundel would have Count Varley released from House Arrest to be the new leader of the Western Church as he leads the church in a campaign of "Adrestian Supremacy". But when Count Varley announces to Edelgard his new position as Western Church leader he gloats on how he was also sent by Lord Arrundel to make sure that Edelgard and her friends remain loyal to the Empire's cause. Then Count Varley coldly adds in that if Edelgard & her friends may seem disloyal then Lord Arrundel could send his men to treat Edelgard's friends to some experiments, starting his own daughter Bernadetta. Needless to say this enrages Edelgard and was going to immediately strike him down until Count Varley points out that if anything were to happen to him than the experiments shall begin. Since Edelgard knows all too well how TWSITD is good at making people "disappear" she highly reluctantly relents.

There is also another story idea I have that will differ on the route, namely a mission where our heroes get to save Bernadetta from her father's clutches as Count Varley is working with TWSITD. Namely the differences shall be...

Verdant Wind/Golden Deer- Ferdinand conspires with Lorenz to get Bernadetta to safety within the Alliance in which Count Varley's forces try to take her but you must fight them off.

Crimson Flower/Black Eagles- Bernadetta has been taken and held prisoner at the Varley estate for experiments but our heroes were able to save Bernadetta just in time.

Azure Moon/Blue Lions- Bernadetta has been taken and held prisoner at the Varley estate but by the time they find Count Varley our heroes were too late. In which thanks to TWSITD's experiments Bernadetta was mutated as her body is still mostly human but half of her face and left arm look like Indech the Immovable. Naturally our heroes are horrified to see this as Count Varley believes that Bernadetta has become a useful weapon as a controllable demonic beast. Count Varley also gloats that due to his crest connection with Bernadetta if they kill him than they would kill Bernadetta as well. However certain folks like Linhardt and Hanneman would be eager to call Count Varley out on his bluff. Anyways after you defeat Count Varley, Bernadetta will be out of commission for some time but the Church will find a way to get Bernie to recover

Also later on during the Remire Village Incident, Solon gloats how he was going to (or did) the experiments on Bernadetta. In the Non-AM routes this gets our heroes to be determined to make sure that he doesn't get that chance. However in Azure Moon this gives our heroes all the more reason to want Solon dead (especially most of the Black Eagles, Alois & Yuri).

Would this seem too "overly evil" to you? Perhaps but one other idea I have would be early in the game there is a subplot where Count Varley is sent from the Empire to the Church of Seiros on a mission of diplomacy. How this visit will go will depend on which route you choose namely...

Blue Lions- Count Varley will spend a good portion of time gloating on how the Kingdom has become a pathetic shell of itself and on how its only a matter of time until the Empire can take the land back. In which it would get to the point where Count Varley would give Dimitri a borderline Arl Howe rant on how pathetic the Kingdom has become. While Count Varley notes how Annette is not "overly mousy" like his "insufferably pathetic" daughter but is still a overcompensating little runt. (As Count Varley notes that apparently Annette doesn't get enough beatings from her father as he is a firm believer in using fear to instill discipline like what he does to his own daughter.) Now as for Ashe, Count Varley finds it absurd that anyone would take in a thieving little urchin in which he goes into graphic detail over what he would've done if Ashe tried to rob the Varley house. Then Dedue stands in and calmly demands Count Varley to behave in which the Count scolds Dimitri on not keeping his slave in line. While Dimitri immediately points out on how Dedue is no slave but a trusted ally in which Count Varley points out on how his people wanted to wipe out those "Duscur Savages" after a certain tragedy occurred. Count Varley then recalls on how said tragedy took the life of Glenn, Felix's older brother, and on how stupid the Kingdom was for giving a boy such a job regardless of his skills. While Count Varley is aware of how Sylvain does have a crest which gives him some value in life but tells him that he should use that Heroes Relic to wipe out those Sreng Savages in which Sylvain tells him he has no intention to. Now as for Ingrid, Count Varley recounts on how pathetic her family has become they barely qualify as nobility. This gets Dimitri to call Count Varley out on his atrocious grasp of diplomacy, but then Count Varley counters with how he is only here for diplomacy towards the Church and not the Kingdom. However as for Mercedes, Count Varley becomes very interested in her as since she is a crest-baring maiden who is such an exquisitely feminine woman that someone would easily make a fortune selling her as he admires and slightly envies her merchant stepfather. While this creeps Mercedes out Dimitri rushes to her defense while pointing out how Mercedes is a person and not merchandise. But then Count Varley gloats on how he has heard that Mercedes was formerly from the Empire so any money from her should go to the Empire. In which this gets Count Varley to taunt Dimitri by asking if he was going to buy Mercedes but then is doubtful that the Kingdom could afford someone like her. Sylvain then teasingly recalls how Bernadetta does have a mother and wonders how Lady Varley would feel about Count Varley admiring the merchandise which gives Count Varley an excuse to take his leave.

Golden Deer- Count Varley will spend a good portion of this finding it pathetic how the Leicester Alliance is now being led by an "Almyran Savage". (While adding in on how its one thing that the Church has a little Almyran Savage doing chores but to have one of them run a land in Fodlan?) Count Varley sends his sympatheties to Lorenz for having to follow a "conniving schemer" like Claude in which Lorenz happily agreed to. However when Count Varley adds in that it must be shameful to have to be led by an Almyran Savage this gets Lorenz to be reluctant to answer. Now as Count Varley approaches Ignatz he is aware that merchants straddle the line between commoner & noble... barely. In which Ignatz tries to mention on how while he is here in Garreg Mach to be a knight his passion is to be an artist in which he points out how paintings can be quite valuable. While Count Varley does note that its true that paintings can be valuable but often enough the artist will have to die first. While this slightly scares Ignatz he tries to remain positive and even offered to help Bernadetta in her artwork in which Count Varley denies this offer glaring at Ignatz in the process & scaring him off. Now Count Varley gets repulsed as he was starting to smell Raphael nearby as Raph casually points out that he was working earlier. This gets Count Varley to wonder how would the Officers Academy even accept a smelly oafish buffoon like this. Then he looks at Leonie puzzled wondering who is this young boy. In which Leonie points out that she is a girl and that she is the #1 student of Jeralt the Blade Breaker in which Count Varley hardly finds that grizzled drunkard impressive offending Leonie more so. But then Count Varley asks Lysithea on how he has heard of the stories about how she became such a prodigy and is rather intrigued by them which gets Lysithea a bit concerned. Then Count Varley tells Hilda that she should be more appreciative of her brother Holst's efforts to keep those Almyran Savages out of Fodlan otherwise they would either kill her or take turns having their way with her. Now as for Marianne, Count Varley gets irritated very quickly over how shy and quiet she is and was getting ready to backhand slap her for reminding him way too much of his own daughter. But rest assured Hilda will have absolutely none of that as she gladly tells Count Varley that if he ever does anything to her dear friend Marianne in which this gives Count Varley an excuse to take his leave. Oh yes and Lorenz does assure Claude that while he may not've got along with him before but it was due to who should lead the Leicester Alliance and has nothing to do with Claude's ethnic background. Meanwhile later on as Linhardt is concerned about Marianne she tells Lin and Bernadetta why in which Bernadetta gives Marianne a tearful apolegetic hug in which Marianne graciously accepts. However Linhardt insists to Edelgard that something must be done about that Count Varley in which Edelgard does agree. But when Lysithea tells Edelgard about how her encounter with Count Varley went gives Edelgard even more of a reason to need to do something about the Count.

Black Eagles- Initially Count Varley's criticisms were relatively mild such as how Linhardt is a talented student with a lack of work ethic but then talks about how the Black Eagles should maintain the pride of the Empire. While Count Varley was initially bothered by Dorothea's presense as a Commoner in which Dorothea says that she is proudly from the Mittelfrank Opera Company and looks up to Manuela Casagrande. However this does not impress Count Varley as he recalls all the rumors about how Manuela was basically "a washed up has-been who drank and whored her way to the top" while pointing out how common it is for Commoners to try to con or whore their way to success. However what really bothers Count Varley is that he scolds Edelgard for treating Petra as some sort of equal in her class and is disgusted by this as Edelgard has no intentions on stopping that. Now Count Varley gets a little nostalgic over how years ago the Empire once treated Brigid as basically a slave plantation as one of his happier childhood memories was when his father would take him to see which "uppity Brigid savage" is getting sent to the Gallows this time. Caspar is horrified by what the Empire has done in the past in which Ferdinand reluctantly admits that it is true but a lot of the Empire's more... unsavory practices were outlawed. But nevertheless Count Varley insists to Petra that despite what absurd ideas Edelgard places in her head that she and her kind are nothing more than Imperial property. But things get really nasty when Count Varley discovers that Bernadetta was trying to sneak her way out of the classroom. The now seething Count asks if Bernadetta was trying to sneak her way out in which she very nervously said no then he horrifies the rest of the class by backhand slapping her face knocking her down and stomped on her while accusing Bernadetta of being a terrible liar. In which Count Varley uses this as a teachable moment on how children must be well discplined and forced Bernadetta to openly agree with him while obviously being terrified in the process. Then Count Varley coldly tells Bernadetta that she must not be an embarassment to the family otherwise "heads will roll". However this gets an enraged Caspar to call him "Count Jerkface" and demand answers over why he would treat Bernadetta this horribly. But Count Varley has trouble recalling who is this loud child in which when he gets reminded about who Caspar is then finds it pathetic that a runt would defend another runt. Dorothea also has some choice words to say to the count as she proudly calls herself to be Bernadetta's commoner friend and claims that she would never allow a monster like the Count to hurt Bernadetta ever again. Once again Count Varley is unfazed as he tells Dorothea that she should be fortunate that they are in Garreg Mach because if this scene occured in the Empire she would get thrown in the dungeons and would get passed around by the inmates there. Edelgard also steps in asking Count Varley to give her a reason why she shouldn't have him arrested for such a flagrant display of abuse. But Count Varley confidently points out that since Edelgard is not Empress yet she does not have the authority to make such a call. While Edelgard points out how she doubts that the Church would be okay with him striking one of their students. However Count Varley remains confident that he is far too necessary to be sent away and even if they did then the true ruler of the Empire Lord Arrundel would step in and asks Edelgard if she wants her "dear" uncle involved. While this does get Edelgard to relent a bit but after when he leaves she assures her classmates that once she assumes the throne Count Varley will be among the first to be dealt with.

While I'm not sure about this scene for all 3 routes but at least in Black Eagles we get a scene where Flayn openly tells Seteth that he and Rhea should not have a meeting with Count Varley. In which Flayn tells Seteth about how much of a horrible man Count Varley is to everyone especially his own daughter Bernadetta in which Count Varley threatens Flayn to keep her mouth shut otherwise he'll teach her some manners. Rest assured Seteth will have absolutely none of this as he assures Count Varley that his diplomatic immunity can be revoked if he is not careful. Rhea does back up Seteth but since she wants to maintain some relationship with the Empire she gives Count Varley a chance to agree to keep things civil to hopefully prevent anymore trouble. While Count Varley gloats how he would be far too important to arrest in which while Rhea would normally be concerned over such a deed but openly wonders how the Empire would feel about this if it happened to him? In which this gets Count Varley a moment to think and suddenly be a bit more willing to behave So what do you folks think?

I doubt we'll see the good count appear since by the time of the war Edelgard already swept him off the board. And most dialogue implies she did so with great use so he'd not be a threat anyway.

20 minutes ago, Pokejedservo said:

So what do you folks think?

I could see Varley holding Bernadetta prisoner....because its Varley. Abusing Bernadetta is just what he does. But I'd see him being more aligned with the church than with the Slitherers. Despite being used by the Slitherers in the insurrection of the seven he seems mostly a Church fellow. His family is supposed to control Imperial relations to the church and he's a political enemy of Edelgard, implying that unlike Bergliez and Linhardt's dad he'd have sided with Rhea over Edelgard. 

So I'd see him more likely leading a pro Church insurrection against Edelgard, seizing Varley castle and holding Bernadetta hostage. 

Twas fun reading your take of Varley interacting with Bernie's friend. Really just makes him seem like the worst. 

20 hours ago, Pokejedservo said:

B. Turns out that Count Varley is actually more stern & strict than outright abusive. While many games will at first be confused and in some cases disappointed. However someone will bring up how in the Japanese version of 3 Houses, Barnadetta was raised to be a "Yamato Nadeshiko" which is a Japanese term for "Ideal Wife". But since most Americans would not be familiar with the term, the localization made Count Varley a lot more abusive to make Bernadetta's anxiety seem more understandable. After all there is a reason why Count Varley only got a House Arrest in 3 Houses.

They've actually already kind of leaned this way. Playing Three Houses normally one of the most noticeable things he did was almost kill a random peasant boy for daring to make friends with Bernadetta which caused a lot of guilt on Bernadetta's part and a larger feeling of isolation. But the DLC added context as to why he actually did that. It wasn't out of classism or general malice, it was because that random peasant was actually an assassin that was legitimately planning on killing her. I actually made a thread about it not long after the DLC came out, but I was a bit too flippant with the title and it got locked almost immediately.

EDIT: I see I'm not the first one to bring up Yuri's support. I'll mention though that in addition to that support they also softened him by editing out one of his most abusive acts, literally tying Bernadetta to a chair for hours. I'm pretty sure a line like that was edited out in one of the updates.

If I had my own personal way as to how to depict him, I'd rip off Randall Tarly from A Song of Ice and Fire. Yeah, he's an abrasive abusive dickwad, but he's actually a competent individual who you'd be glad to have as an ally in a tight spot.

Edited by Jotari

19 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I could see Varley holding Bernadetta prisoner....because its Varley. Abusing Bernadetta is just what he does. But I'd see him being more aligned with the church than with the Slitherers. Despite being used by the Slitherers in the insurrection of the seven he seems mostly a Church fellow. His family is supposed to control Imperial relations to the church and he's a political enemy of Edelgard, implying that unlike Bergliez and Linhardt's dad he'd have sided with Rhea over Edelgard. 

So I'd see him more likely leading a pro Church insurrection against Edelgard, seizing Varley castle and holding Bernadetta hostage. 

Twas fun reading your take of Varley interacting with Bernie's friend. Really just makes him seem like the worst. 

Thank you though while I admit I can see what you mean there, however one of my plot ideas is that Count Varley gets promoted to be the new lead of the Western Church. Since I figured that since he is known for desiring nothing more than power & wealth that he would probably prefer to lead a church organization than to be the follower of one.

Though as for the Yuri & Bernadetta Support A well... I'll just simply mention what I said in this video here at...

"This support chain is a slightly unique case of translation & localization conflict.

In the Japanese version Support A does make a bit more sense. Since in the Japanese version Count Varley was more of a really strict father who wanted his daughter to be more of a Yamato Nadeshiko namely to be an old fashioned "Perfect Wife".

However in the English version, Count Varley was given a darker depiction by being a monstrous abuser who would force Bernadetta to live in fear to make her more submissive. (To the point where one of his offenses actually got removed via a DLC update during one of Bernie's supports with Byleth.) So in the English version it more looks like Yuri may've told Bernadetta a little white lie/half-truth to make her feel a bit better. (Perhaps Bernadetta's Uncle hired Yuri to go after Count Varley but sadly the plan failed. Especially considering on how in Bernadetta's supports with Alois, her uncle was the only member of her family who was genuinely kind to her.) Which is why many of us think that the only reason why Count Varley would save Bernadetta is because he still needs her alive."

And some of the other commenters made some interesting points like "does Yuri know about how abusive Count Varley is to Bernadetta over the years?" and things like that.

IMO the "Yuri x Bernadetta" support conversation would've worked if Bernie spun it around on Yuri:

Spoiler
  • Yuri: Because I want you to look at it objectively. I was hired to kill you. Your father protected you from me, a filthy assassin. He was looking out for you. You're lucky to have a father who cares for you enough to do that.
  • Bernadetta: Father... protected me? He... protected me... ha... ha ha ha!
  • Yuri: W-what's gotten into you?
  • Bernadetta: Don't you get it? It's all a big joke! What my father did to me... I would've welcomed death, if it meant getting away from him. From his judgement. From his control! From his hatred-filled eyes!
  • Yuri: Bernadetta, how can you say that?
  • Bernadetta: Father didn't save me for a love of me. It was for his image, his bloodline. You, the person who was there to kill me, had more love for me in his heart than my own father!
  • Yuri: That... that's horrid! How can you laugh at something so dreadful?
  • Bernadetta: I... I have to laugh! If I don't laugh - i-if it's not some big joke, with Bernie as the punchline - then the only thing I can do is... c-c-...CRYYY! *sniff* Oh, Father... why?

Something like that.

Anyway, one idea I had for CF was for Count Varley and Duke Aegir to initiate a coup (counter-coup? counter-counter-coup?) in the Empire. Basically, the first couple chapters would be hunting them down, so that Edelgard solidifies her hold on the Empire. I don't necessarily see this as happening, but it could be neat for him to be a thorn in Edelgard's (and the other heroes') sides.

Very interesting ideas here Shanty Pete's 1st Mate, I also would like to add in that in their A Support heavily implies that Bernadetta's uncle was the one who wanted her wiped out. Yet in Bernie & Alois' supports it was revealed that Bernie's Uncle was the one person who was actually nice to Bernie. So I figure it would be either...

A. We take Yuri's word at face value and the tragic plot twist was that the one relative Bernie thought was nice actually wanted her dead just for the sake of power. Fortunately for Yuri, Bernadetta didn't make the connection since she was too busy being shocked at the idea that her father showed her some basic human decency.

B. Bernie's uncle actually wanted Yuri to kill Count Varley due to the Count's wicked & abusive ways. But once Count Varley caught wind of Yuri's plans the only reason why he didn't kill Yuri was because he figured out who sent him to begin with. In which this was the real reason why Bernie's uncle is dead now due to "mysterious circumstances". In which Yuri tells Bernie a little white lie to cover up the fact that he was indirectly the reason why her uncle got killed.

Heck I even once considered the idea of a support of Alois & Yuri that eventually leads to Alois calling Yuri out on this since according to Bernadetta , Alois reminds her of her dear late uncle. Oh yes and as for the Story idea of Count Varley visiting Garreg Mach one might ask what about the non-students? Well assuming that exploring the Monasteryis still a thing then the others would react to the Count's presence in which depending on the route the lines might slightly differ. I will give a few examples...

Constance (in the sun): Count Varley recognized me just earlier today as I was from House Nuvelle. He pondered who was more unfortunate, me or my late family, can't say I blame him.

Hapi: Okay seriously what is up with this Count Jerk, when he saw me with Coco earlier he called me some "filthy savage", what is wrong with this guy?

Balthus: Say pal, I've been hearing stories about this Count Varley, none of them any good. You probably shouldn't bring this up with Yuri, from what I've heard its a bit of a bad history there.
[Crimson Flower]
Balthus: Say uh... Pal? How is little Miss Bernie doing?
*You explain that she is really terrified with a bruised face*
Balthus: Shhh! Not so loud Pal! *sigh* Sorry I didn't want Yuri to overhear, but still... poor kid...

Yuri: Count Varley huh? Well there is a name that I hoped I never had to hear again. But I guess my past is catching up to me. Eh sorry lets just there is some bad blood and lets leave it at that alright friend? I just hope Bernadetta is okay...
[Crimson Flower]
Yuri: By the way... how is Bernadetta?
*You tell him that Bernie is bruised and terrified.*
Yuri: Of course she is... *sigh* Oh Bernie... *under his breath* if only I finished the job then, if only...
*You ask if Yuri was saying something*
Yuri: What? Oh... oh no its nothing friend, nothing...

Shamir: Please, don't talk to me, I'm having a rather lousy day. Why you ask? Heh, oh nothing I just love it when an arrogant misogynist racist lectures me about what is proper. Remind me again why this cretin has to be our "Special Guest" from the Empire again? Hmm?

Catherine: I've heard all sorts of bad stories about this Count Varley guy but seriously what is wrong with him? I had to explain to the creep that I am a born & raised resident from Fodlan and not some foreign "savage", I'm not a foreigner I just happened to have a good tan.

Jeralt: There have been many stories about this Count Varley and his shady history of malice and hatred towards anyone "beneath" him. But since he is such a prominent noble within the Empire it makes him untouchable and he knows it so watch out for this guy. 
[Crimson Flower]
Jeralt: By the way, we should keep an eye out on Alois. He is being really on edge considering how Count Varley mistreats his daughter. Don't get me wrong I don't blame Alois, but still lets make sure he doesn't do anything we all would regret.

Alois: *sigh* I've heard stories about how Bernadetta is horribly mistreated at her home but I didn't realize how true it was until now. While poor Bernadetta is locked up in her room again, I should really find a way to cheer her up.
[Crimson Flower]
Alois: Grrr... I just saw poor Bernadetta's bruised face earlier and... and... unforgivable! UNFORGIVABLE! How can any man dare to treat his precious daughter in such a way?! I ought to give that vile excuse of a man a piece of my mind and my fist!
*You try to calm him down and warn him about picking a fight with a prominent noble making a diplomatic visit*
Alois: Do you think I give a damn about that fiend's social status?! *sigh* My apologies, I know what you are saying but still something must be done about this.

And things like that.

9 hours ago, Pokejedservo said:

Heck I even once considered the idea of a support of Alois & Yuri that eventually leads to Alois calling Yuri out on this since according to Bernadetta , Alois reminds her of her dear late uncle. Oh yes and as for the Story idea of Count Varley visiting Garreg Mach one might ask what about the non-students? Well assuming that exploring the Monasteryis still a thing then the others would react to the Count's presence in which depending on the route the lines might slightly differ. I will give a few examples...

I like these ideas. When you say "Crimson Flower", do you mean pre-skip Black Eagles? Since Count Varley isn't on Edelgard's sidd post-skip.

I'm not sure about lines alluding to him being physically abusive while visiting in person. I think he'd be more careful about that soemrt of thing. He could still be a terrifying and oppressive presence for her, just by showing up. Maybe have Bernadetta go completely mute in the Monastery that month.

• 1 month later...

Ah yes I too have been playing the 3 Hopes Demo and while I am amused about the idea of Edelgard setting Count Varley up as an easy target for assassinations however it has not happened yet. In Azure Gleam, Gilbert points out that he has heard about Count Varley's teachings and has heard nothing good about them as we figured. So in other words there is a good chance we can still fight him.

'However while TWSITD did get outed earlier in 3 Hopes they all retreated and were not destroyed so there is a very good chance they will pop up again. I have a theory that TWSITD would use Count Varley as a pawn to get back in the Palace and guarentee his safety (while making him the new Archbishop of Fodlan). Here is an idea I have...

One day as Ferdinand was visiting his father in the dungeon, Ferdinand ran to Edelgard and Hubert upset that his father just died as he was suddenly coughing up blood for a few moments then keeled over. But while Edelgard initially tried to sympathize and Ferdinand was willing to listen until ne noticed Hubert. Then Ferdinand was practically at Hubert's throat demanding answers if he finished off his father. In which Edelgard tries to calm Ferdinand down and insist that Hubert was not Duke Aegir's killer as she did not give him any sort of orders like that. In which Hubert calmly added in that Prisoners would not get their bread & water until about an hour later so even if he did try to poison Duke Aegir today he would not've had the chance to. Edelgard then tried to promise Ferdinand that they will try to get to the bottom of this. Moments later Dorothea tries to show her sympathy to Ferdinand as she has just heard what happened. In which Ferdinand confides to Dorothea that the last word his father said to him was "Grey" but what does that mean? Ferdinand deeply ponders this for a few moments then he gets an idea in which he asks Dorothea if today is the day when Count Varley visits the palace in which Dorothea confirms. Then Ferdinand rushes off to find Count Varley with his assistant Cleric by his side and demands an audience with the Count.

Count Varley initially tries to acy sympathetic as the news about the former Duke Aegir's demise spread rather quickly. But Ferdinand was having none of it as he demands some answers. Then Ferdie tells the Count that his father's last word was "Grey" which puzzled him at first. But then Ferdinand recalled on how one of his last conversations with his father was on how Duke Aegir recalled that shortly before Edelgard and her siblings were sent away he had a little chat with Count Greigore Varney but was having trouble recalling what they were talking about. In which Ferdinand found this to be very suspicious but Count Varley smugly considers all of this to be merely circumstantial. In which Greigore's Assistant Cleric them chimed in that there is all sorts of speculation that can be done here. After all the only one who has with the former Duke lately was Ferdinand himself so how do we know he didn't kill his own father? Needless to say Ferdinand was shocked & enraged over such an idea then Count Varley pointed out how Ferdinand felt that his father dishonored his family so maybe this is some misguided attempt to restore that honor. Then the Assistant Cleric pointed out that maybe Edelgard got her demented follower Hubert to do the deed. In which Ferdinand stated on how Edelgard denies this and even pointed out Hubert's alibi. Then the Count & his assistant laughed at Ferdinand for being so gullible & naive. In which the Assistant told Ferdinand that many Poisons are far from instantaneous and that the former Duke could've been poisoned at any time before today. This gave Ferdinand some pause then Count Varley gloated to Ferdinand on how Duke Aegir was such a gullible toady. In which while the former Duke was soft to his family he would basically do anything to enrich his house. Then Count Varley taunted Ferdinand on how he must've so missed his dear daddy's massive hoard of blood money so much in which Ferdinand angrily struck him down for that. Unfortunately this causes Count Varley to feign surprise as he orders the guards to capture Ferdinand and have him locked up on the charge of assaulting the Minister of the Southern Church. (In which the Count's assistant cleric pointed out how he and his fellow clerics were witness to such an act.) But Ferdinand was not going to play along so he fought off the guards so he can escape the palace in which he did. Then Count Varley ordered the guards to take down that treacherous fugitive Ferdinand immediately.

Meanwhile moments later Edelgard immediately demanded some answers from Count Varley over Ferdinand's sudden disappearance. Then Count Varley tried to tell Edelgard that he was trying to console Ferdinand since he and his father were old friends but Ferdinand was being rather angry and wildly irrational. In which Count Varley's assistant cleric pointed out how Ferdinand has become paranoid and blamed Edelgard & Hubert and even wondered if they would try to frame him for it. But then Count Varley claims that he reluctantly couldn't let Ferdinand plot against Edelgard so he had to stop him but that poor lad Ferdinand took it as treachery and struck him down. So according to Count Varley and his assistant, Ferdinand fled the scene to evade capture. In which a rather unimpressed Edelgard requests that Count Varley and his assistant speak with her at the Throne room. Moments later we see the two at the Throne Room with Edelgard looking very cross at the throne. In which Edelgard sternly warns the Count that she is not gullible and will not be deceived so easily. While Count Varley initially appeared surprised and asked what is the meaning of this. In which Edelgard tells the Count that she spoke with Dorothea on how he confided to her on how the last word Ferdinand heard from his father was "Grey". Which leads to this little exchange...

Count Varley: Yes, I've heard that was supposedly the late former Duke's last word, a bit of an odd choice for last words wouldn't you say?

Edelgard: Oh I don't think its that strange, Count Greigore Von Varley.

In which Edelgard demands some answers from Count Varley. In which the Count smugly tells Edelgard to make sure she doesn't imprison the wrong man, again. Edelgard is now shocked and uneasy about the implications here as Count Varley taunts Edelgard on how she doesn't know as much about what goes on in the Empire as she thinks. Then Count Varley brags on how there will be a new order in the Empire in which he will one day be the Archbishop of Fodlan and thanks Edelgard for such a golden opportunity. Now a rather fuming Edelgard warns the Count of being a bit too presumptuous as Hubert draws near by Edelgard's side. Now Count Varley's Assistant Cleric has a sinister little laugh about how Edelgard must've felt quite secure over how she foiled Lord Arrundel's places in which there will indeed be a new rule, or perhaps an old one. Then Edelgard notices on how Count Varley's assistant sounds so familiar in which the cleric reveals himself to be... Solon in disguise! (In which Hubert tries to strike down Solon but Solon's magic was able to overpower Hubert's easily and knocks him out.) This shocks Edelgard as she asks how long has Count Varley been conspiring with them in which Solon answers that Count Varley has always been loyal to their cause. Then Solon tells Edelgard that her "dear uncle" has new plans to make his comeback into Fodlan such as letting Lady Rhea reunite with an old "Nemesis" of hers then tells Edelgard that she should be more loyal to their plans. While of course Edelgard has no intention to but Count Varley tells Edelgard that Solon has his minions all around the palace and could snatch her friends at any time. In which Count Varley tells Solon how he is rather intrigued by Solon's crest experiments and they could start using her friends as research, starting with his own daughter Bernadetta. Now Edelgard is shocked that Count Varley would have his own daughter be subjected to Solon's cruel experiments. In which Count Varley thinks that this could make that "mousy little runt" daughter of his finally useful and wonders whether to begin the experiments right away anyways. While Solon admires the Count's exuberance but tells him that they should save the idea for later to help maintain Edelgard's continued loyalty. Now count Varley smugly tells Edelgard that she and Hubert should keep this little meeting a secret to help make sure that nothing "unfortunate" happens to her friends. In which Edelgard rather reluctantly lets Greigore and Solon on their merry way a rather enraged Edelgard assures Hubert that she will not let them get away with this.

So what do you folks think?