Working on a new Project

TorchicEX

Hello everyone, I have frequented the forums every once in a while and long ago I attempted to make a FE rom hack of my own but back then the method of trying to do it had gone way over my head. Now being quite a bit older and not as dense (but still dense) I am tackling it once again and I started with making the sprites for the characters. Not sure if I wish to go with a simple story where there is only one new character in say Sacred Stones or Blazing Blade or go the whole mile with making an entire cast. But for now at the very least here is my portrait sheet for the main character. He may look a bit familiar for anyone who has played the Ys Series. It isn't him but I always loved the design so thought I would try to make something like it here. There is a bit of work I still want to do on it but I would like to hear people's thoughts on it. It is Roy's face with the removal of the headband, lowering the hairline and to extend it a bit to make up for the lack of a headband and making the hair a bit darker like Raven's. Speaking of Raven, I also took his leather collar and put it in here as well because I wasn't sure if I wanted to have that much skin showing. Otherwise it was all custom made.

CoreyPortraitSheet_v3.png

• 3 weeks later...
12 hours ago, KKAfterbrun said:

hmm.. it's not bad, but it might have too many colors as if I recall its a max of 16.

you also might do a bit more shading under the hair above the eyes.

Roger that, I think I can manage that without taking away too much of the design and I can add in a bit more shading. To be honest I was planning to try to redo the hair to be less like roy and be a bit more original but hair was always a tough one for me here. Handling pixels with it is a lot harder than drawing. Thank you very much for the input.

• 4 weeks later...

Okay I have done some more work on them, any thoughts? I believe I was able to keep it to 16 colours per file. I should mention that I have plans to shade more under the girls hair and probably mess with it more for it to look smoother...but as I have mentioned in the past, hair is definitely not my forte with pixels. I also realized that I forgot the blinking animation for the red haired boy. There is something that bothers me about the blinking but I can't quite put my finger on it so if anyone has any input on that as well, please let me know.

FinaPortraitSheet_v4.png

CoreyPortraitSheet_v4.png

• 2 weeks later...

Shading is better. a quick tip I can give you for hair is to zoom in as close as you can in whatever program you use and add darker or lighter spots in a similar curve that the part of the hair you're working on. go a pixel or two at a time until you feel it works.