Lyn hard mode chapter 10 confusion

Barren

Okay so I was following a guide by @FionordeQuester and during turns 3-4, it was instructed to move Florina down 2 and left 2 respectively. But by turn 5 she still can’t reach the northern fortress and if she moves further in, a cavalier spawns and she gets ganged up onto death. My question: is there a way to alter his directions to make it to the northern fortress or am I just better off completing the chapter in my own way? I followed his guide faithfully up until this point.

Edited by Barren

You would be better off completing the chapter your own way. Keep in mind that the guide's Florina could have different stats than yours, so the guide's strategy may fail for you.  And, you should be developing your Fire Emblem skills. Another reason why you shouldn't use guides is because its more satisfying to create your own strategies. 

If you are doing a ranked run, you do not want to block the reinforcements. You need them for experience. 

Lyn hard mode is easy enough to do without a guide. I completed the game as an 8 year old, though my runs were un-ranked.  

While you are right in a sense that doing my own thing would be a bit more fulfilling, I went by the guide because I thought it was interesting to see that things will go in a certain sequence based on your positioning. I thought the whole time everything that happens is random but apparently pending on your actions the game automatically generates the results despite the odds visibly presented. Almost like as if it was fixed in a way not counting normal mode’s tutorial.

I was more curious as to why the guide feels like there was an error or was it something I did wrong on my part. Either way I’ll finish it at some point and do Hector hard mode on my own with the silver gem in tact. 

Edited by Barren

While it's true that FE7 has a fixed RNG seed which should mean that doing exactly the same thing leads to the same results, you have to be very careful about this if you're trying to mimic someone else. This is because it's not just battle actions that move the RNG forward, it's also every time you force the game to create a movement arrow. And since you do this just by moving the cursor around when selecting a place to move, it's extremely easy to do by accident.

To illustrate what I mean, look at the following picture:

image.png.f39d4e91baa89fb6fa25abea83354605.png

I just grabbed this off of Google. Now, it's possible to create this movement arrow non-randomly, e.g. by selecting Marcus, then moving the cursor 3 units left then 5 units down. But I could also create it randomly, by moving the cursor through some squares he wasn't allowed to move (e.g. the river), forcing the game to draw a new path when I reach a "blue" square in his movement range. And furthermore, let's say after moving the cursor here, I change my mind. I move the cursor 1 square left then 1 square up, so that he'll move to the square diagonally adjacent to the one I was initially choosing. Since I suddenly jumped to a new location instead of drawing from scratch, the game will draw a new path for me... randomly choosing which of several paths it could draw, and advancing the RNG.

You can use deliberately force lots of drawn paths like this to advance the RNG, which is useful for RNG abusing for good levelups or fishing for crits when starting a map (or just when loading a save state). But you're also likely to do it by accident now and then unless you take great care not to.

Also, if memory serves (it's been a while, so I might be wrong about this last part), any characters who move in a non-straight line during a cutscene also advance the RNG in this manner, as the game randomly chooses their path. So whether you skip the cutscene or not matters.

That is very interesting. I guess it is easy to mess up even when you’re not trying to. It’s just fascinating that how you move with the directional arrows somehow influences the RNG. But I’ll definitely keep that in mind going forward. Thanks for the info.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
On 5/17/2022 at 1:25 AM, FionordeQuester said:

Hey friend!  Sorry I didn't see your message a month ago—did you get everything figured out?

I haven’t touched it in a while. Been busy with something else. But no I haven’t, next chance I get I will try it again

On 4/13/2022 at 6:08 PM, MadBoar said:

You would be better off completing the chapter your own way. Keep in mind that the guide's Florina could have different stats than yours, so the guide's strategy may fail for you.  And, you should be developing your Fire Emblem skills. Another reason why you shouldn't use guides is because its more satisfying to create your own strategies. 

I can agree with that

I kept a gamefaqs walkthrough open on my iPad when I played it, but only to see what objectives there were and to see when and from where any unpleasant surprises would be comin from