How do you think Sacred/Relic weapons will work in this game?

How will weapons work?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. How will weapons work?

• All sacred/relic weapons are bound to one character (like in FEW)
    • All sacred/relic weapons can be used only by characters with their crest
    • Sacred/relic weapons (except Byleth/Shez/lords) can be wielded by anyone, with penalties (like in 3H)
  2. 2. How will crest stones be earned?

• Via mission rewards
    • Via dlc bonuses
    • Other
    • Not at all

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/23/2022 at 10:50 PM

Personally, I'm thinking that sacred/relic weapons will be freely usable, with penalties for not having the matching crest or crest stone. Sacred Weapons could not offer their healing and other bonuses without the crest. Hero Relics could degenerate health over time (like Vengeance in FEW1) and not offer their combat art without the crest. I think Crest Stones will be mission rewards.

My reasoning is simple. It's the best implementation for the flexible class system they're going for.

Honestly I feel like Relics will follow FEW Prf rules (though DoT for incompatible wielders would be accurate, given that a) there's no current indication you can change weapon, b) the upkeep required - i.e. maximal vulnerary stacking + healbot support would be incredibly detracting from the mission, and possibly c. newcomers will go 'why did my unit die after 2 minutes?', I think the negatives outweigh the positives here).

Sacred Weapons I think generally should be as per FE3H, though I'd feel like they'd keep Labraunda Edelgard locked despite there being no other reason to otherwise. Maybe for gameplay / 'balance' purposes the renewal effect on sacred weapons requires other conditions (as Olivier mentioned, or possibly lock it behind weapon rank if that is a thing)? I'd be inclined

Crest Stones I'd need to see if there's story relevance for them, but otherwise yes mission rewards (probably more for side missions though).

I'm assuming that the Heroes' Relics will be permanently assigned to certain characters.As for  the sacred ones, it'll be hard to say, given how anyone can use them; but they might wind up just giving an character and completely different moveset like they did in Hyrule Warriors.