I really like Horror games

♠Soul♠

I can't say I played a ton of them, but I've done my fair share of Horror games. I've beaten all the Outlast games, SOMA, Lust For Darkness, Close to the Sun (feels like a Horror game to me) and played a couple of others (but haven't beaten), such as Those Who Remain, Alien and Slender: The Arrival. I'm not so much into stuff like Resident Evil (I am interested in 7 & 8, though), since apparently I've been told Survival Horror is my alley.

My favourite Horror games are Outlast and SOMA. Both really good experiences, and not just for the atmosphere, but also because they have really engaging plots, once you dig them up. I also really enjoyed Close to the Sun, even though it's not as hardcore as the others. It can easily be anyone's first "Horror" game experience. And no, I didn't really play the Amnesia games, but I do know the first one is constantly mentioned by Horror fans.

Soma_FrictionalGames.0.jpg

BhSnPCi.png

I don't like when people try to downplay or discredit Horror games when they're supposedly "not scary", and it's usually by people who don't immerse into the full experience, playing at 2pm with 5 of their friends while making unfunny jokes and failing to grasp the point.

Edited by ♠Soul♠

It's kind of old but I'm a huge fan of the first Dead Space. I think the environment - a large ship built for mining operations - is absolutely fantastic. A lot of Resident Evil is pretty campy, so if that's not what you're looking for in a horror game, you might want to pass it up. However, I think RE 4 and 5 are both great games, since I'm ok with camp.

I wouldn't consider most Resident Evil games to be horror, mostly just action games with spooky enemies. 7 and 8 and OG 1-3 seem like you could call them horror but I haven't played those

Silent Hill is really good, though personally I was never really scared by silent hill 2-4, I think making a horror game actually scary if it's not first person is really difficult, at least for me personally.

Silent Hill 2 and 3 are great. They just have that atmosphere of horror even if they look bad today. I do wish for them to return. I agree that RE really don’t feel like horror anymore.

18 hours ago, Original Johan Liebert said:

It's kind of old but I'm a huge fan of the first Dead Space. I think the environment - a large ship built for mining operations - is absolutely fantastic.

yeh I also really like Dead Space, but I only played about two chapters at best. Didn't know if it'd be considered a "Horror" game, so I didn't list it. I will beat it, someday.

17 hours ago, MuteMousou said:

I wouldn't consider most Resident Evil games to be horror, mostly just action games with spooky enemies. 7 and 8 and OG 1-3 seem like you could call them horror but I haven't played those

That's what I like about RE7 & 8, they feel like Horror games (if they weren't). I also like the setting a lot better.

Edited by ♠Soul♠

• 2 weeks later...

As someone who's played through every mainline Resident Evil game plus the Revelations titles, I can definitely say that a few of the games in the series totally give off some horror vibes. I never played the original versions of Resident Evil 1-3, but I have played the remakes of each. Resident Evil 1 Remake has some horror elements to it, but not so much for RE2 or RE3 Remake, since they play more like Resident Evil 4 with the third person perspective. Resident Evil 4, 5, 6, and Revelations 1 + 2 are more action than horror (especially 5 and 6). Resident Evil 7 is a lot stronger on the horror elements, and the first person perspective especially helps with that. Resident Evil 8: Village tones down the horror aspect quite a bit from 7, apparently because 7 was too spooky for some players, so RE8 takes some inspiration from RE4 and has some similar locations in it, such as the castle and village. There was only one really scary part of 8 that got to me, and that was (Spoilers):

Spoiler

After you defeat Lady Dimitrescu in the Castle, you then have to take down the creepy doll girl in her own Mansion. This is the only part of the game that really had much of a horror element to it, as the game messes with Ethan's head in regards to his dead wife, Mia while you're in the basement of the Mansion (at least, I think it was a basement). The section ends after you get a working fuse for the elevator and evade a very terrifying creature that can instantly kill you. The best part is that you can't use your weapons during this part so all you can do is run away and try not to die before going back up the elevator. After that terrifying part ends, you end up killing the doll girl and the game continues onto the next part of the map. The game loses its horror aspect after the Mansion segment, which sort of sucks, because that was the spookiest Resident Evil has ever been for me, period. Doesn't help that late in the game you get to be Chris Redfield himself as you raid the Village guns-blazing (reminds me of the old RE5+6 days).

Outside of RE1, RE7 and a little bit of RE8, the series itself has never really felt like much of a horror game.

Outlast 1 and 2 are excellent games in the horror genre, as you have no weapons to fight against the psychos trying to kill you, and all you really can do is run away and avoid them.

I haven't played much of the Amnesia games myself either, so I'm with you there regarding that. As for Dead Space, I was figuring that I'd wait until the remake comes out to try it, since I never got to play the original 2008 release back in the day. 

The only horror game that I've started playing recently is Observer: System Redux, which I believe is a psychological horror game, which starts off a little slow, but the investigative part of the game has me interested in solving the game's mysteries.

If you want another horror game to delve into, I strongly recommend Layers of Fear 1 and 2. While I haven't played LoF2 myself, I can say that the first game is a fantastic horror video game to play, and it WILL mess with your head. The game involves a painter trying to create the perfect art piece, with each individual chapter split up into finding different art materials and slowly adding more and more to the painting as the game goes on. Eventually, depending on how you played through the game, you can get one of three endings: a ? ending, a bad ending, and a neutral ending. I don't want to spoil you on anything in regards to the ending I marked with a "?" symbol, because it's a bit of a surprise. All I can say is that since you're a big fan of horror games, you should definitely give Layers of Fear a shot.