Fire Emblem Heroes - Mythic Hero (Medeus: Earth-Dragon King)

Florete

Inheritable Canto Control. Watch it be locked to infantry, just cuz.

En Garde will probably be pretty desirable when it's not stuck on a defense mythic. Although that combined with his B skill could make him exceptionally difficult to remove.

Hmm, while to me Medeus is just another random old man villain, grey is the only colour worth a damn in this set so it's a no brainer to try on the free round. The only non-grey hero of value is Idunn but even then it'd be half for the Florete.

Huh, so that latest Lost Lore actually was a sign of things to come.

As cool as it is to finally see Mr. OG Final Boss himself get his due, Medeus isn't going to be a must have for me (in other words, I'm definitely not sparking on this banner). I do appreciate more based Daisuke Izuka art, though.

5 minutes ago, Florete said:

Inheritable Canto Control. Watch it be locked to infantry, just cuz.

At minimum, it'll very likely be off limits to cavs and fliers. I could see armors being allowed to get it, but Canto Control being infantry locked is definitely just as (if not more) plausible

I'm going to copypaste what I just finished writing elsewhere on seeing this news.:

As a Mythic... none of FEH's Legendary/Mythic/Ascended titles make perfect sense in the long run. However, Medeus as a Shadow Dragon, as in (New) Mystery instead of an Earth Dragon as in FE1/3B2/11, makes more sense for the Mythic title. As Earth Dragons are a common tribe of dragonkind, and SD Medeus is stronger than the impotent ED Medeus. A Shadow Dragon for all intents and purposes seems to be an Earth Dragon, whose power level has increased to Super Saiyan Blue Monkey Memeable >9000 Chuunibyou-Named Hyper Titanic Buster Dragon God.

I rather pity Medeus. Dude is tragic in principle, he was the only Earth Dragon to side with Naga, and didn't betray her will until humans attacked his innocent Manakete-tized people. Yet the games never gave him the chance to be portrayed as such, he barely has any screentime at all across four games. TMS#FE was 100% accurate in leaving him as an afterthought. When Medeus puts in for reservations at a restaurant, he arrives and finds a snake-haired goddess has taken his table, the staff didn't bother writing down his name properly.

-So yeah, Medeus is dull in practice. Though, I do experience a slight joy seeing him added to FEH.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

The original Final Boss is here, eh...?

Atk/Res -6 and Follow-Up Denial on the foe for his weapons in-combat effects isn't the most new thing. En Garde is certainly new however... that could make dealing with numerous threats even harder now that that effect exists to make chipping them down impossible. Seriously, where is the effect that removes all bonuses currently granted to the enemy...
Assured Rebirth coming with an automatic follow-up and two different forms of damage reduction, one in Dragon Wall the other dependent on nearby Staff and Dragon allies, all based on a Res comparison will certainly make taking him down even harder than ever...

Guess this is why the Falchion exists, eh? Elimine can also stop En Garde from being triggered if her Res is stacked high enough, but her element does not align with Medeus so it'd come at a score cost.

Also Mikoto's Prf Refine has been given form in Canto Control.

The rest of the banner:

• Altina, Mirabilis, and Flavia on red. One Mythic who is somewhat outdated by now, one who is a dancer and has value in that alone, and one... whatever Flavia is. I honestly forgot and can't be asked to look it up, I just remember she has Red Feud.
  • Legendary Julia, Legendary Dimitri, and Ascended Idunn from blue. LegJulia might be able to take down Medeus in one hit if her Atk and Res together can break through all of his effects, LegDimitri is generally just a good unit, and Idunn is a good Near Save unit who can still give a Floret if not gotten yet. Not really anything for me here personally...
  • Hel, Thorr, and Otter make up green. Hel is... what is Hel? I don't really think about her anymore... Thorr is strong and has a solid Prf passive, and Otter... I dunno, but unlike Hel I generally just don't think about him much. Can't really speak about the quality of Green on this banner.
  • Anything I have to say about Colorless is null by the fact that Medeus is colorless. LegMicaiah is good, Elimine is solid support.

So... Medeus is dark? Looks like having Brave Marth on my Light team will pay off...

Medeus, eh? Idgaf about the guy, but it's cool for his fans. 

His stats are: 40/44/18/38/43. Very min-maxed, but suceptible to NFU and Deadeye effects. 

The +6 Atk/Res he gives himself and his allies is an issue on Panic Manor weeks, but it can be abused by Atk/Res Unity users.

En Garde is very interesting. It can let you put the Bolt Trap in positions where normally you'd end up almost killing all your units by the splash damage, but now that's only going to be a worry for the attacker. Bolt Tower immunity is also a very nice perk to avoid getting Vantage swept (although that's pretty rare nowadays). 

Assured Rebirth is like Dragon Wall+++. It gives the usual Res based dmg reduction, a guaranteed follow-up if Medeus has more res than his opponent and an extra 20% dmg reduction if he's paired with a dragon or a healer (nice reference to the last chapter of Mystery of the Emblem). 

Canto Control being inheritable seems like it'd cause a lot of pain at first glance, but I'm not sure it'll be used at it's full potential. The C-slot isn't as free as it used to be a couple years ago. Armors want Saves, Infantry likes Time's Pulse a lot. Fliers have Reins/Holds and Cavs like to run Menaces to swing matchups or Smokes to disrupt foes. This skill can cause a lot of issues for Galeforce and H&R strategies on AR-O, so there's that. I think Gatekeeper would be a great user of the skill to maximize his disruptive abilities, but he and any other Canto Control user is going to need smart positioning and Save support to perform their role properly. 

Edit: Typo on Medeus Def stat.

Edited by Alexmender

How the hell does Mediuth count as infantry?

Anyways, it's nice that they let us see his stats straight-away. He's got 40/44/18/38/43, so he doesn't get to cheat like Ascended Idunn and get trainee/villager status.

Getting 60% damage reduction with fairly easy conditions is pretty cool, but he's on the same season as Ulir, who can probably just Deadeye him dead.

En Garde is a pretty nice effect for blocking friendly damage from Bolt Trap or Thjalfi. Presumably, it won't block Hrist's effect for strategies that involve traps with staff units.

His sprite and weapon animation look pretty amazing, though I can't not see his head in dragon form being tilted slightly to his left (even though his teeth show that he isn't) due to how the spikes on his chin look.

My Micaiah is only +1, so merges will be appreciated. Elimine is +10, but I don't have a +Res copy of her yet, so it would be nice if I could get one. Not sure how many pulls I'll try for on this banner.

Of the other colors, green is pretty good for me since I still need merges for Hel (and Otr, I guess), and Thorr has Flow Guard, which is decent fodder. Blue only has Idunn that interests me, and red has nothing I need.

Edited by Ice Dragon

I'm more interested in the C skill than the unit itself, but I'd want it on a unit who does something similar like Riev or Loki, but I'm not sure they can survive being within 4 spaces of a Canto unit.

Its about time, though I'm surprised Medeus wasn't armored or even flying given the movement types of Earth/Shadow Dragons in past games.

29 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

How the hell does Mediuth count as infantry?

Funfact, in FE3, Earth Dragons had low MOV and similar restrictions to Armored units, whilst Shadow Dragons were flying units that didn't take effect damage from arrows.

Edited by Emperor Hardin

And the usual translation notes:

Mediuth's epithet, "Earth-Dragon King", is "地竜族の王" (chiryū-zoku no ō), "King of the Earth Dragon Tribe".

Shadow Breath is "暗黒地竜のブレス" (ankoku chiryū no buresu), "Breath of the Dark Earth Dragon". "暗黒地竜" (ankoku chiryū), "Dark Earth Dragon", is a combination of his two class names, "地竜" (chiryū), "Earth Dragon", from Shadow Dragon and "暗黒竜" (ankoku-ryū), "Dark Dragon" (lit. "darkness dragon"), from Mystery of the Emblem. "暗黒竜" is also in the Japanese title of FE1 and FE11, "暗黒竜と光の剣" (ankoku-ryū to hikari no ken), localized as "Shadow Dragon & the Blade of Light" and fan-translated as "Dragon of Darkness and the Sword of Light" prior to Shadow Dragon's localized release, though I personally like the translation "Dark Dragon and Falchion Sword" based on the line "At first there are Dark Dragon, Falcion [sic] Sword, and Fire Emblem".

En Garde is "戦闘外ダメージ無効" (sentō-gai damēji mukō), "Out-of-Combat Damage Nullified". Another extremely literal status effect name.

Assured Rebirth is "我が復活は成った" (wa ga fukkatsu wa natta), "My resurrection is complete". This is the first line of his combat dialogue in the final chapter of Mystery of the Emblem, which originally read "ワガ・・フッカツハ・・ナッタ" (wa ga... fukkatsu wa... natta).

Canto Control is "再移動制限" (sai-idō seigen), "Canto Restraint". "再移動" (sai-idō), "Move Again", is the name of Canto effect in Japanese. (In Japanese, "Canto" is the name of the herons' sing skill in both Tellius games. In English, the sing skill was only named "Canto" in Path of Radiance and was renamed "Galldrar" in Radiant Dawn with the name "Canto" being moved to the skill currently known as "Canto".) The status effect Canto Control has the same name as the skill Canto Control in both English and Japanese.

4 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

My Micaiah is only +1, so merges will be appreciated. Elimine is +10, but I don't have a +Res copy of her yet, so it would be nice if I could get one. Not sure how many pulls I'll try for on this banner.

Of the other colors, green is pretty good for me since I still need merges for Hel (and Otr, I guess), and Thorr has Flow Guard, which is decent fodder. Blue only has Idunn that interests me, and red has nothing I need.

I have pretty much the same thoughts for the summons, although it's more that I don't have most of the units. My CYL Marianne is +10 so I'm free to start summoning again.

So Medeus is here as an anti to a bunch of stuff, like how Elimine is in her season in a way. It was a gamble whether people would have their Bolt Tower in lane 3 or 4, and even then putting the catapult in a meaningful spot can hurt your team comp unless you were running a cav line, but those team aren't as week to bolt tower as other comps. And he blocks the savage blow spam strat that people sometimes do.

I knew they were going to powercreep Makoto soon enough, but I didn't think it would be a whole inheritable skill. It's going to suck not being able to use NY!Fafnir as freely. The obnoxious thing are those high threat range teams that you want some turn-one, safety fence initiative against.

Medeus! Love to see him finally get in, and alongside two other colorless units I'd like. Hopefully I can grab one of them.

Only units now missing from my top 5 picks for this year are Athos and Nergal.

I'll go for the spark, but I'm considering skipping red. 
Dimitri is a merge project on blue and I'd like to get Idunn.
Thor is my merge project on green and Otr is the one Mythic I'm missing. If I pull Otr, I may start skipping green also.
Elimine is my merge project on colorless, I'd like one of Medeus for his future bonus weeks and Micaiah could be a future merge project if I get her.

Dimitri is currently at +7 and ideally I'd like to get him to +10 tomorrow. He's my target for sparking, but if things go unexpectedly well and I pull 3 of him, I'll se who to spark then.

Ah, ok. I like tanky dragons, but I'm not invested in the character enough to care that much. At least canto's finally being put in its place. Also, as much as I'd like to try to summon Otr, I'm saving up orbs for the fallen banner, and, barring that, Axe Valor. (Plus, I already have Thorr and Hel, so it's better for me to wait until Otr's sharing with, say, Thrasir.) Medius is fine, but I'd be risking summoning Miciah, so this is a fairly easy banner to skip.

Medeus feels like Seiros but better. Canto Control is kind of meh in my opinion. Canto Control on defense can make it easier for offense to choose when to use Canto on their nukes and Galeforcers, since there are times you do not want Canto to trigger right away. For me personally for example, I use a Galeforce team and Canto does not really help me much because it triggers way too early, when I actually needed it more later instead to move away from the last enemy that I could not kill or block.

25 minutes ago, XRay said:

Medeus feels like Seiros but better. Canto Control is kind of meh in my opinion. Canto Control on defense can make it easier for offense to choose when to use Canto on their nukes and Galeforcers, since there are times you do not want Canto to trigger right away. For me personally for example, I use a Galeforce team and Canto does not really help me much because it triggers way too early, when I actually needed it more later instead to move away from the last enemy that I could not kill or block.

I don't think it gives you back a proper Canto later.

5 minutes ago, Othin said:

That's my guess. Since melee still gets Canto 1, I think it acts as Canto being expended for the ranged units.

Also, does En Garde prevents damage from skills like Fury and Pushes? Can Medeus run Fury 7 without taking damage from it at all?

1 hour ago, Othin said:

1 hour ago, Rinco said:

That's my guess. Since melee still gets Canto 1, I think it acts as Canto being expended for the ranged units.

Canto Control's effect specifically says it activates after Canto activates, so yes, it does expend Canto for the turn.

1 hour ago, Rinco said:

Also, does En Garde prevents damage from skills like Fury and Pushes? Can Medeus run Fury 7 without taking damage from it at all?

Yes. There is nothing to imply that it shouldn't work on a unit's own skills.

EDIT: Looks like Mediuth's introduction page is up. I really like his damaged art. He looks like a proper badass final boss.

medius_earth-dragon_king_slide04.png

Edited by Ice Dragon

It's about time Medeus was added to Heroes. Now I'm wondering who else from Marth's games they could add as a Mythic, or a Legendary. With Marth, Caeda, and Tiki all present, and now Medeus, feels like Anri is the last big one left for that special category.

4 hours ago, Othin said:

I see. In that case, I guess it still would not really affect me much since my Leif:Destined Scion will still trigger Canto too early most of the time, but it is going to affect players who use Reginn and units like her quite a bit more negatively that just hits and leaves.