Youngest characters?

yip9

Who are the youngest playable characters in the Fire Emblem series, male and female, respectively?  Please do not mention playable mamkutes, or other playable characters who are actually ancient, despite their youthful appearance.

The children characters from Fates, they are all less then 1 year old. Even if the hyperbolic time chamber shenanigans where believable it doesn’t change the face that it has only been like week(s) after their birth.

For the child's age, I'm pretty sure it's Percy, Midori, and Kana from Fates. 

Alm and his villager buddies in Echoes may count, since they're all kids in that one prologue mission, but they soon grow up, so I'm not sure it really counts. 

For Manaketes, I think it's Fae, but I can't be too sure on that one. Nah is technically younger, but Fae is developmentally still a toddler or a young child, so I'd say she's "younger" in that regard. 

19 minutes ago, Use the Falchion said:

For Manaketes, I think it's Fae, but I can't be too sure on that one. Nah is technically younger, but Fae is developmentally still a toddler or a young child, so I'd say she's "younger" in that regard. 

This one is a stretch as in one of Nah’s event square event she explicitly states “Mother said I should act my age… I might as well practice drooling in front of a mirror”

Adding another Joke answer to this it would be all the villager kids from the prologue of Echoes Shadows of Valnetia, where they are all 8-9ish

For a more serious answer I will start with the youngest character(s) (or what seem like the youngest characters) from each game, although there are very few sources for character ages in a lot of games, so I will do my best to source what information I have on their ages.

Maria (FE1 and Shadow Dragon) - Age ??? No real source, she just looks like the youngest character, and the few canon sources for these characters from this game are all too old to be in this competition.

Delthea (Gaiden and Echoes) - Age 13 Echoes internal data.

Yumina and Yubello (Mystery of the Emblem and New Mystery of the Emblem) - Age 13/14 Or Age 12? these twin brother and sister are stated to be 13-14 from an ingame quote from one of the random houses in chapter 1, and the uncertainty in the quote does call its accuracy into some question. The novelization sets them at age 12, although one could argue it is a less canon source

Corple (Genealogy of the Holy War) - Age 10? This source is rather sketchy, but that is the age of Corple in Kaga's dream scenario of Genealogy of the Holy War generation 2.

Sara (Thracia 776) - Age 12 From an official Nintendo of Japan site on Thracia 776.

Lugh and Ray (Binding Blade) Age 13-ish These two are twin brothers, and in Lugh's supports with Elen he states he is two years younger than Roy, who is officially age 15.

Nino (Blazing Blade) Age 14  She say she is this age in her support with Canas

Ewan/Amelia/Ross (Sacred Stones) - Age ??? There is very little information on the canon ages of Sacred Stones characters, although one of the three trainee units is very clearly the youngest. Personally I think Ewan looks like the youngest, but it is hard to tell.

Rolf (Path of Radiance) Age 12? - The closest we get to a source for this is from art books, which claim they designed him with an apparent age of 12 in Path of Radiance, and 15 in Radiant Dawn. Note he is a standard Human/Beorc, so apparant age isn't as sketchy as a Dragon (or in Tellius canon, Laguz or Branded characters)

Sanaki (Radiant Dawn) Age 13 This is stated ingame in Part 1-7

Ricken/Donnel (Awakening)-  Age ??? They seem to be the youngest of the Shepard, which would make them younger than Lissa's age of 15 in act one, but nothing really definitive. Personally, it looks like Ricken is younger, but it is clearly one of these two

Kana (Fates) - Age ??? Another game with very little canon information on character ages, but they blatantly look like the youngest characters in Fates, even looking younger than miss "technically an adult"

Cyril (Three Houses) - Age 14 I forget where they revealed all the Three Houses character's canon ages, but they did.

Edited by Eltosian Kadath
typo, added slight detail to awakening

10 minutes ago, ciphertul said:

This one is a stretch as in one of Nah’s event square event she explicitly states “Mother said I should act my age… I might as well practice drooling in front of a mirror”

The translation I'm getting from the FE wiki says "'Act my age' Mother says. I may as well practice drooling in the mirror!"

And I think this honestly affirms my speculation. 

Nah is the "first" half-manakete on Ylisse, and has a growth rate more akin to a human at this point. (She also doesn't have a high view of her parents, which is partially why her comment is there.) Manaketes seem to have a slower developmental time as a whole, but I think an average of one "human" year of development for every one hundred years is a solid translation given what we know. So yeah, if Nah was going to act her age in accordance to a Manakete, which is what she thinks Nowi is talking about, she'd still be a baby. Hence, drooling in the mirror. Nowi really just means for Nah to act like a child/teenager, so be more carefree, but Nah has trouble doing so. 

Edited by Use the Falchion

26 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Cyril (Three Houses) - Age 14 I forget where they revealed all the Three Houses character's canon ages, but they did.

All characters ages are viewable in the roster menu iirc.

2 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

I could have sworn it was pre-release material.

Here’s a random character profile screenshot I found on SF.

7ghkqaa.jpg

Age is in the top left, and I’m pretty sure it’s there for all characters.

Which does confirm Cyril as the youngest character in that game. Flayn might look young too, but her age is “???” because plot stuff.

31 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Aren’t those all technically adults? 😄 They all mention being “small boned” or “I’m an adult but people don’t believe it”

The only "older than they look" character I remember is Elise, who is explicitly (and early on) told to act her age. 

Kana is explicitly a child, to the point that they don't have any "real" romances outside of Selkie IIRC. (Or at least the Western translation cut them out because they found it THAT uncomfortable.)

Midori is the "oldest" of the youngest, but she's still a kid, since she's shown worrying about playing in the forest with others. She does mention in her B-Support with Corrin that she's "already, like, fully grown up," but her mannerisms and the story of the support chain tell a different story. That's also the only support so far where I've read that she mentions that, so take that as you will. (Corrin and Azura's parent supports can tend to be a tad different at times.)

Percy...well, Percy acts like a younger kid and his paralogue is all about his immaturity IIRC, so I usually chalk him up to being on the younger side. 

So if I had to put ages on them, I'd say Kana is 8-9 while Percy and Midori are 10-12 - old enough to be "more mature," and know about romance, but young enough to still be immature as a whole. That still puts them as being kids and on the younger side of things in terms of playable child units in FE. (Not counting Heroes.) 

Edited by Use the Falchion

41 minutes ago, Use the Falchion said:

The only "older than they look" character I remember is Elise, who is explicitly (and early on) told to act her age. 

I think they all have at least one of such dialogue. Not always as meme worthy as ''technically an adult'' but always the game(or more likely the poor localisation team) wanting to have it both ways. Characters who look and act like children but who are also ''safe'' to romance.

2 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Lugh and Ray (Binding Blade) Age 13-ish These two are twin brothers, and in Lugh's supports with Elen he states he is two years younger than Roy, who is officially age 15.

Meanwhile Chad is probably 14. He's clearly still a kid but also the twin's ''big brother''. 

2 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Rolf (Path of Radiance) Age 12? - The closest we get to a source for this is from art books, which claim they designed him with an apparent age of 12 in Path of Radiance, and 15 in Radiant Dawn. Note he is a standard Human/Beorc, so apparant age isn't as sketchy as a Dragon (or in Tellius canon, Laguz or Branded characters)

I think Tormod's also in that general age range. Though the artbook isn't always as reliable. Doesn't it say that the big, grey haired Mordecai was designed with the age of 24? 

33 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Doesn't it say that the big, grey haired Mordecai was designed with the age of 24? 

For the Laguz, the designed age is meant to be "looking like a Beorc of X age", not that he's only 24 years old.

4 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I know but he doesn't look like a Beorc of 24, but one at least twenty years older than that. 

Is it the beard? Because honestly he gives me the same vibes as characters like Wade and Lot. Bulky but still 20's young.

His hair is more light blue than gray.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

52 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Is it the beard? Because honestly he gives me the same vibes as characters like Wade and Lot. Bulky but still 20's young.

His hair is more light blue than gray.

Maybe the facial markings are giving the illusion of wrinkles? I dunno, he comes across as closer to "FE6 Bartre" than "FE7 Bartre". But that's pretty subjective.

With regards to Genealogy, for Gen 1 it has to be Dew who is the youngest. The not-canon manga put him at 13, which seems feasible. Although when Oifey in Gen 1 says he is 14, it does seem slightly odd he doesn't fight when Dew does. Isn't Oifey is the only first-generation age we have set in stone?

3 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I know but he doesn't look like a Beorc of 24, but one at least twenty years older than that. 

SMH at Bastian designed to be 24. Sure, people IRL age and cultivate their appearances differently, but Bastian should be in his thirties at the least. And how are Tibarn, Ulki, and Janaff all "30"? The Eyes and Ears being the same I can get, but not the King.

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

With regards to Genealogy, for Gen 1 it has to be Dew who is the youngest. The not-canon manga put him at 13, which seems feasible. Although when Oifey in Gen 1 says he is 14, it does seem slightly odd he doesn't fight when Dew does. Isn't Oifey is the only first-generation age we have set in stone?

I recall Azelle having the official age of 18 and Tailtiu of 16. I also know Erinys is younger than Azelle. I recall finding it curious since Azelle's portait is so smol compared to hers. 

• 2 weeks later...

Everyone who posted, thank you very much.  Initially, Rolf, Mist, Dew, and Midoriko came to mind.  I am glad to be educated.

Since Fire Emblem If's children characters royally screw with logic and time, I have changed my opinion in favour of Corple, because dream scenarios are fascinating, and Sara, because before I took Nono to waifu, Thracia 776 was my favourite in the series.  I have great memories of Sara toasting Manfroy in the final encounter.

Special thanks to ciphertul, Eltosian Kadath, and Use the Falchion.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/27/2022 at 2:03 PM, ciphertul said:

The children characters from Fates, they are all less then 1 year old. Even if the hyperbolic time chamber shenanigans where believable it doesn’t change the face that it has only been like week(s) after their birth.

If we're taking that route, Lucina has a negative age at the start of Awakening XD though by the time she's playable she's legally older than a Fates kid.

On 4/27/2022 at 12:46 PM, Interdimensional Observer said:

SMH at Bastian designed to be 24. Sure, people IRL age and cultivate their appearances differently, but Bastian should be in his thirties at the least. And how are Tibarn, Ulki, and Janaff all "30"? The Eyes and Ears being the same I can get, but not the King.

Bastian is implied to be in the same general age range as Lucia and Geoffrey, and none of them are much older than Elincia. Given that, I don't see how he could be in his thirties in PoR.

Tibarn, Ulki, and Janaff are all canonically within 5 years of each other (a bit over 100, if memory serves?).

Mordecai I'm less certain about, but I would assume he's younger than Ranulf, who certainly doesn't look past his "thirties" (if he were a beorc) to me. I think facial hair sometimes gives characters an older appearance.

9 hours ago, Jotari said:

If we're taking that route, Lucina has a negative age at the start of Awakening XD though by the time she's playable she's legally older than a Fates kid.

While that is true, I was count them when the become playable.

9 hours ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

Bastian is implied to be in the same general age range as Lucia and Geoffrey, and none of them are much older than Elincia. Given that, I don't see how he could be in his thirties in PoR.

Does he look like his twenties to you?

Bastian.jpgbastian_en.png

I always got the impression he looked older than that. I mean, I don't see a lot of people IRL, so maybe some guys could pull that off at such an age from the few I've seen opting for a vaguely "Shakespearean" look for lack of a better descriptor. But it seems sorta doubtful to me, or at least like it'd be a safer bet to assume older. Both he and Sephiran are described as political masterminds to some degree, but only one can I see as actually "young in the age parameters of politics". That, and maybe it has something to do with his Renning association, like I sorta expect a devoted retainer of that middle-aged man to be a little older.

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Does he look like his twenties to you?

Honestly, yes? Or at least, there's no evidence he isn't. No signs of balding, no wrinkles, no greying hair, no weathering. What about his design makes you so confident he's 30+?

Plenty of political masterminds / tacticians are young, particularly in anime-inspired games. Bastian's no younger than Claude.

I admit I associate Bastian much more strongly with Lucia/Geoffrey than I do with Renning. And to me, Bastian feels like their compatriot, not some older guy looking down on them. I wouldn't peg him as more than five years older than them, and certainly not more than ten.

2 hours ago, ciphertul said:

While that is true, I was count them when the become playable.

Well a lot of the Awakening cast aren't born when they become playable. Probably. Lucina is just the one we have some certainty of. But like, Cynthia and Morgan, they're births are almost certainly after the time frame of the game.