Mythic Hero Battle - Medeus: Earth-Dragon King

Xenomata

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FRabuHLWQAIkC0a?format=png&name=orig

The original Final Boss of all of the Archanea games, Medeus the Shadow Dragon renders any attempts at using skills like Poison Strike and Savage Blow meaningless, makes it very hard for enemies to damage him, and Assured Rebirth greatly reduces incoming damage with two different conditions added together (one with a Dragon Wall effect and another by checking for nearby Dragon or Staff allies) and guarantees him a follow-up attack if his Res is higher, which you are very unlikely to match. Watch out when attacking him with allies with the Canto effect, as Canto Control is also in effect around him.

This is a map where magic is king and you are the dirt: pretty much every enemy is either a Manakete, Fafnir, or Cleric. There is no need to save the maidens on this map, so go all out and bring down Dohlr once and for all!

Abyssal Map
q0Ek6CIl.jpg?1

[abyssal unit stats go here]

Edited by Xenomata

I feel like any run that didn't involve Marth and Tiki would have been meaningless, so how to build the rest of the team...

I feel like it's kind of obvious what everyone was doing. Marth was the driving force of everything, Tiki took hits from the Clerics to absorb their effects without Marth getting inflicted at unideal times (especially where the Flash cleric was involved), and Walhart inflicted his own Flash on the enemies to let Marth safely initiate on the ones he couldn't take out in a single hit, especially Medeus himself.
I don't know if Azura specifically needed to be used, but I'm sure as heck not going back in to find out.

Valentine Lucina can tank Mediuth forever once both the Flash and Fatal Smoke enemies are killed. They can try all they want to stop Save cheese, but their efforts are still easy to get around, especially when there aren't any units with armor-effective weapons this time.

3 hours ago, Xenomata said:

and Assured Rebirth reduces incoming damage twice (once with a Dragon Wall effect and another by checking for nearby Dragon or Staff allies)

Only once. The contributions from both factors are added together and applied as a single instance of damage reduction.

@Xenomata Nice clear, Marth spent a lot of time at barely any health but he still fought on. Walhart is such a helpful unit to have around, letting you chip Medeus without eating his massive Glacies in return.

@Yggi Strong showing from Jamke, you might not have saved all the  healers, but he did tell one of them to "get out of here" as if he was saving her instead. And he brought down Medeus in the end surprisingly easy too, nice clear!

6 hours ago, Xenomata said:

Medeus the Shadow Dragon renders any attempts at using skills like Poison Strike and Savage Blow meaningless

I beg to differ.

When I saw how much damage reduction this guy was going to have basically no matter what I knew I had do do something kinda cheesy to make it work. Luckily the enemy doesn't get the chance to activate things like En Garde when you do a one turn clear, so chipping him down with Savage Blow worked wonders. Brought Legendary Edelgard as the guest this time, and since she could take out three enemies by herself it gave Tana the rare chance to do a special activation line since I didn't need Galeforce on her. Overall not as hard as I thought it would be, though Medeus is the sort of unit that is so bulky he makes the clear tricky all by himself.

@Xenomata Nice Brave Marth. His whole gimmick with buffs is quite funny.

@Yggi Jamke destroys most things, to be fair. Somewhat related, but the other day I was thinking about best units to use Spd/Def Tempo on, and Jamke came to mind.

@BoaFerox I see the Tanas are joined by Edel this time, who probably couldn't resist destroying yet another dragon. I wish I had a LEdel, I would've used her on this map for sure.

@Sasori @Alexmender @Diovani Bressan @Landmaster

I guess this team is the dragonkillers. Kinda.

11 hours ago, Xenomata said:

There is no need to save the maidens on this map

Good. They where a total pain.

I thought I was well prepared for this map. Two dragon slaying units and two null c disrupt for those annoying healers (The melancholy one especially needs to take a hike), but things turned out to be much more of a challenge then I thought. Lugh surprised me in making such a big dents in the different dragons while Roy and the other orphans did their usual tanky role. I din't mind cheesing Medeus since he's so obnoxiously designed. If he's not fighting fair then I don't have to either.

@BoaFerox: Ah yeah its hard to be anti poison damage if you can't get to activate the skill first. That was a nice clear. Odd to see Edelgard carrying just a normal brave axe, but it worked.

@SatsumaFSoysoy.Wonderfull thumbnail as always.  Llucina got quite the glowup with her refine. She did great getting rid of all those mages and healers. Lmarth took down Medeus like he was nothing too.

@Landmaster @Diovani Bressan @MagicCanonBalls

I saved the maidens! ...But why are they still shooting at me?

You'd think I'd bring Leanne to this magicfest, but due to real life things sucking up my energy for the day I was too lazy to change the team, and I really wanted to try out Larum's shiny new (thematically appropriate!) Spd/Def Tempo. I'll probably do another clear with Leanne when I'm not feeling so drained.

As for this clear, it was painfully obvious that Larum was going to be the one killing Medeus, since no one else on the team could so much as scratch him without Flashing Blade 4. The other dragons on the map were less blessed, Silvia mowing through most of them like her usual murder-hurricane self. Puddle handled the two annoying starting enemies no problem, but tapered off as the map went on. Merrybilis tanking shenanigans would've been nice, but she's unfortunately more weighted towards Def than Res, so she once again ran full support.

Addendum: Leanne made tanking the map easier for sure, but the hoops I went through to make her able to tank Medeus himself prevented me from getting at his healers, so I ended up killing him with Larum anyway. Oh well.

Edited by Some Jerk

@BoaFerox You are a genius. I was very curious how you would pull off a one turn clear, but you did it.

@Some Jerk Wish I had Deadeye or Lethality. Good thing Azura killed the green mage in one hit. He actually did a lot of damage to my team, so I had to get rid of him quickly.

I couldn't do it with Team Macedon! Medeus just wouldn't take damage, no matter what I did. I legitimately can't think of a way to beat it with those units. Good thing I have the cheating unit!

The fact that I was able to beat this on my first try in Infernal with my usual team says a lot.  I'll revisit this if I ever get Atk/Def Lull on Leon.

Legendary Marth is not only super fitting for this battle, but he's actually really good at it. He and Legendary Julia blew up dragons while Duo Lyn sniped things. Duo Peony danced and not being slowed down by terrain was nice.

@GuiltyLove Triangle Attack + Legendary Marth is a deadly combo in this map. Very satisfying to see L!Marth doing x4 attack to Medeus.

@Sasori Watching them gang up on Medues is pretty hilarious. 

@Yggi Jamke is a force of terror, but Seliph tank things that I thought he wouldn't survive.

@Some JerkSo many close calls here.

I tried to use Yuri + D!Chrom team but Yuri dmg fell short by few points, so I dumped 300 orbs on the Duel Skill banner but didn't even get one focus unit. But silver lining is I get to use Hapi which has been neglected in my AR team lately. Her C skill was Savage Blow so I just left it blank.

Spoiler

You know what would have been great? If IS would have given me some kind of Melee Elise at this point.

Ignore the Negative Orbs

After a day of being able to get through most of this map but just getting totally walled by Medeus at the end, I was very tempted to replace Mirabilis with a cheating unit. But I gave it a few more goes, changed some Skills, gave Elise a needed extra boon, and made some questionable fodder decisions before finally making something happen here.

The Savage Blow stacking may look pointless on the surface, but I need to have that chip damage on Medeus to keep his harem from attacking us on the first turn. The Clerics were easily the worst part about this map, someone at IS should be fired for making Clerics this annoyingly tanky.

@BoaFerox - Edelgard was a perfect choice for this map with how easily she eliminates dragons. Abusing the chip damage on turn one makes this battle just that much easier.

@SatsumaFSoysoy - L!Lucina is so good that it doesn't even matter if she's one of the one that can't kill Dragons. Besides, that role is best left for Marth anyway. Perfect for him to be the one to get the final kill on Medeus. I see you also picked up Forma Kris. My usual build is a tank one, so I grabbed a Player Phase build for her Forma.

@Sasori - The orphans and Roy were pretty good here, actually. They were a lot more resilient against all of those annoying Clerics than I thought they'd be. No shame in turtling Medeus, mans has way too much bulk.

@Some Jerk - I'm beyond impressed that Larum was able to tear through Medeus without having to eliminate all of his maidens first. The Clerics not being able to scratch even the most offensive of Silvias is also incredibly amusing. I'd kill for Lethality on HS!Elise.

@GuiltyLove - A team of cheating units. But this map is so annoying, it can't be helped. L!Marth gets a free pass, anyway, since he is the Medeus slayer.

Proud of your Whitewings for pulling it off, too. I was worried on that enemy phase where Catria and Thea would have to EP the two Manaketes but color advantage paid off. The kill on Medeus was impressive, too. I forget how much free damage Catria gets sometimes. Congrats!!

Time for another Mythic Hero Battle. I have to say... He is very bulky in this map!

@BoaFerox Nice use of Edelgard to and Summer Tana. Her Guidance+ allowing Edelgard to warp and still be solo was very useful. Good use of Savage Blow to lower Medeus's HP too.

@SatsumaFSoysoy This is a nice blue hair team. First time seeing this map with Reinforcements, and it can be quite crowded... But that was not a problems for the Hero-King, his Royal Knight and his Future descendant... And Azura too.

@Sasori Nice weapon choice for Chad, allowing to help Roy in dealing with that many dragons. Very smart of you for slowly attacking Medeus with your ranged units, so they could charge their specials (nice that he doesynt have Guard). It's funny how Lugh's special quote in the end was "I will not run anymore", considering he was running away from Medeus for the last 3-4 turns. lol

@Some Jerk I can see Spd/Def Tempo was added to Larum's toys... That's pretty nice. No need to worry with Guard anymore. And that was a very creative way to deal with Medeus in the end. Cool that you left the 4 maidens alive in the end... But you still have to kill them to end the map. lol

@GuiltyLove Oh nice! Two clears! Both Marths destroyed the entire dragon's clan with their Falchions, while in a different timeline Macedon was able to end the war without the help of the Hero-King. Well done!

@Landmaster It was very rude of them to put a row of trenches in front of your Elises. But that didn't stop you from getting into action as fast as you could! In the end, the Earth-Dragon King lost to a bucket and a snow globe.

@Landmaster I also struggled with killing Medeus at the end without Marth's help. It can't believe Medeus could take so much damage and come out unscathed. I'm very impressed that Elise could double the green mage because he was quite fast on EP. Congratulations on doing this without Duo Corrin! I'm not going to touch this map again for a while 😛 How did you get negative orbs?

@Diovani Bressan I usually want to clear maps with the Macedon units, but originally I lost my patience due to Medeus' bulk. I just decided to make it easier with the Marth team. Very impressive one-turn clear as always. You seem to have many good units for these 😛  

@Diovani Bressan - So you got Forma Baby Marth. I didn't think your Baby Marth needed any more Skills. Especially since he nuked Medeus with Brashperation. That was pretty impressive~

@GuiltyLove - Palm Staff is only there to outspeed the Green Mage. Still wouldn't have gotten it if I hadn't ascended her Spd stat, too. The main reason I decided against Ninjorrin is because she'd hardly help with the trench problem. And the negative Orbs was because of a refund. You'll go negative if the Orbs have been spent.

5 hours ago, Landmaster said:

@Diovani Bressan - So you got Forma Baby Marth. I didn't think your Baby Marth needed any more Skills. Especially since he nuked Medeus with Brashperation. That was pretty impressive~

It was an easy way to get Marth new skills without having the fodder a bunch of 5* units.

I got him Ninja Katana+ (which was used in the video), Rally Spd/Def+ (which goes well with Nowi's Atk/Res Menace and Rally Atk/Res+ on Arena), Ruptured Sky, Distant Pressure (so no need for Brave Mar-Mar to get hurt), Frenzy and Atk/Spd Menace.

Edited by Diovani Bressan

On 4/29/2022 at 5:36 AM, Sasori said:

@SatsumaFSoysoy.Wonderfull thumbnail as always.  Llucina got quite the glowup with her refine. She did great getting rid of all those mages and healers. Lmarth took down Medeus like he was nothing too.

It was what he was meant to do.

Back to Roy instead of a babysitter I see. His damage output was a bit disappointing here, but he was good as a tank so that the orphans could do their job. I wonder when LRoy's remix is. 

On 5/1/2022 at 4:35 AM, Landmaster said:

@SatsumaFSoysoy - L!Lucina is so good that it doesn't even matter if she's one of the one that can't kill Dragons. Besides, that role is best left for Marth anyway. Perfect for him to be the one to get the final kill on Medeus. I see you also picked up Forma Kris. My usual build is a tank one, so I grabbed a Player Phase build for her Forma.

I grabbed Ninja Naginata but mostly went for EP skills since I didn't have good fodder for my Kris at all.

Savage Blow isn't cheese, it's strategy. But yeah, I thought this might be rough for you, what will all the trenches, high Res enemies and Medeus himself. Pretty hard to kite him on this map. You really need some Lethality and Trace in your life. 

On 5/1/2022 at 6:00 AM, Diovani Bressan said:

@SatsumaFSoysoy This is a nice blue hair team. First time seeing this map with Reinforcements, and it can be quite crowded... But that was not a problems for the Hero-King, his Royal Knight and his Future descendant... And Azura too.

For all we know, maybe Marth descended from Azura. Either way, she was there to kill Medeus with her song.

Lol, guess Medeus is destined to just lose to Marth no matter what he looks like.

@Some Jerk That got quite hairy near the end, with all those clerics still alive and Medeus baring down. Luckily this team is strong Res wise. Honestly thought Larum was going to roll up with the Dragonslasher, but I guess Courtly Fan is more flexible.

Time for some late replies
@MagicCanonBalls And it really is Hapi's dream map. A lot of dragons she can one shot..and a medeus that she could't. He really can take a beating.

@Landmaster: This map seemed to be tailor made against Elise. Not only does everyone have a truckload of res, but they even got trenches. Still did't stop them though. I see I wasn't the only one with the dragonslaying daggers.

Also I did't know you could have negative orbs. You learn something new every day XD.

My team actually performed worse against the clerics then I thought they would. Them not being on horses this time around made it harder for Raigh to deal with them.

@Diovani Bressan I was quite pleased with that crit quote too. Though it would have been better if I made Lugh deal the finishing blow. Ah well.

And nice clear. Marth is a very good Medeus killer, but having mini Marth kill him seems a lot more challenging to pull off.

On 5/4/2022 at 3:45 AM, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

. I wonder when LRoy's remix is. 

Not soon enough. Poor LRoy has been powercrept in every single way and is really waiting on that refine. I also wonder when he's just gonna get anything new since even a alt has been years.

• 2 months later...