Known/Guesstimated Ages of Fire Emblem characters?

indigoasis

I enjoy looking into the background information of fictional characters more than I reasonably should (Jonathan Joestar's primal zodiac sign is the T-Rex), but stuff like who a particular character is related to or their age at a given point in a game/story is fascinating to discover. For instance, Leif and Roy were 15 (I think) at the beginning of their respective adventures, making them the youngest Lords in the series, whereas Sigurd is the oldest Lord in the series at... well, he's in his 20s.

But that's the thing. We can make a rough estimate on Sigurd's age, but not a well-educated guess. Three Houses was kind in that most of the characters have their ages listed in their bios, and for the characters whose ages are unlisted, it's not too hard to figure out how old they really are based on in-game information (for example, Byleth's age isn't listed, but it's easy to figure out that they're 20 to 21 years old at the beginning of TH based on the years in Jeralt's journal/Sitri's grave and the year the game takes place in). It should also be mentioned that Shadows of Valentia had the playable characters' exact ages in the code.

But that leaves almost everyone else in the dark, as far as I know. How old would you say some of the characters in the series are?

Aren't Lyn, Hector, and Eliwood stated to be about 17/18 in the English version? I remember there being a thing where Lyn was 15 in the Japanese version, so they aged her up in the English release. 

I have no idea for Ephraim or Eirika, but I always sort of felt like they were 16 for some reason. Hopefully someone can correct me on that. 

Just doing the lords and their immediate family since that's all I have time for. 

Ike is 17 in PoR and 20 in RD. Mist is 15 and 18.

Chrom is supposedly roughly 19 pre-timeskip and 21 post-timeskip. I think this comes from some concept art showing Emmeryn, Chrom, and Lissa as kids, and then working backwards using that to see how long Emmeryn had been Exalt. Lissa is 15 pre-timeskip and 17 post-timeskip. 

Lucina is roughly the same age as her father, and she's the second-oldest of the children after the jump back (Laurent is now the eldest since he was dropped farther back in the past than everyone else), so I'd put her anywhere between 18-23. I'd say Lucina's other siblings are about 15 or so, with Cynthia maybe being a tad older than Kjelle, Inigo, or Brady.

I personally put Robin at 17 pre-timeskip and 19 post-timeskip, but that's just me. Morgan is 13 in my head. 

Corrin is also about that age range. Xander and Ryoma (and probably Camilla) are in their mid-twenties. Hinoka is early twenties, I'd say no older than 22. Leo and Takumi are probably around 17, and Sakura is about 16 with Elise being 15-16 or so. Corrin needs to have been taken before Azura, but Azura needs to have been taken right around when Elise was born. Sakura was born by then since she still feels guilt over Corrin's kidnapping. Corrin was old enough to show signs of leadership and be close to Hinoka, but young enough to have everything erased by the trauma and probably some magic as well. So, I'd put Corrin at about 20, with Azura at 21-22. (A year or so older than Corrin.) 

(Shiro is 18-19 in my head, and Siegbert is about 14-15.)

Alm, Celica, Claude, Dimitri, and Edelgard all have canonical ages. 

Alfonse and Sharena are hard to guess, but I head-canon Alfonse as about 19 and Sharena at about 15-16. 

Serenes Forest has a rather solid page about character ages you can find below, although I think it was made before New Mystery came out...

https://serenesforest.net/general/character-ages/

Below are some translations from the art books for Path of Radiance, and Radiant Dawn which included the "apparent ages" that the artists had for the characters, which is a good guesstimate for age of the Beorc cast at least

https://kantopia.wordpress.com/2016/08/01/fire-emblem-por-all-character-ages-tellius-recollection/

https://kantopia.wordpress.com/2016/11/29/fire-emblem-rd-all-character-ages-tellius-recollection-vol-2/

The character ages of all Fire Emblem Echoes characters was in the internal data for each of the characters, and can be looked up rather easily, like here on the Serenes Forest main site

https://serenesforest.net/fire-emblem-echoes-shadows-valentia/characters/

Its easy to find all of the ages of Three Houses characters, as the game tells you them. Their start of game ages are listed here on the main site

https://serenesforest.net/three-houses/characters/

Not much information on Fates character ages (barring Elise "Technically being an adult", whatever that means...)

I have seen it referenced that Chrom is canonically 19 at game start, and Lissa 15, although I am currently too lazy to look up a source for that.

16 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Serenes Forest has a rather solid page about character ages you can find below, although I think it was made before New Mystery came out...

https://serenesforest.net/general/character-ages/

Below are some translations from the art books for Path of Radiance, and Radiant Dawn which included the "apparent ages" that the artists had for the characters, which is a good guesstimate for age of the Beorc cast at least

https://kantopia.wordpress.com/2016/08/01/fire-emblem-por-all-character-ages-tellius-recollection/

https://kantopia.wordpress.com/2016/11/29/fire-emblem-rd-all-character-ages-tellius-recollection-vol-2/

The character ages of all Fire Emblem Echoes characters was in the internal data for each of the characters, and can be looked up rather easily, like here on the Serenes Forest main site

https://serenesforest.net/fire-emblem-echoes-shadows-valentia/characters/

Its easy to find all of the ages of Three Houses characters, as the game tells you them. Their start of game ages are listed here on the main site

https://serenesforest.net/three-houses/characters/

Not much information on Fates character ages (barring Elise "Technically being an adult", whatever that means...)

I have seen it referenced that Chrom is canonically 19 at game start, and Lissa 15, although I am currently too lazy to look up a source for that.

Oh, this is sweet, thanks!

10 hours ago, Jotari said:

According to Awakening's supports, Severa is the same age as Gregor XD

she's just trying to sweet talk him into taking her shopping 😉

Fates

I've always guessed Corrin to be 18 and scaled the other siblings from there. Its a very neutral age for a very neutral character. Certain flexibility is required with Corrin. He must be old enough to marry most adults, but not so old as to make pairings with the younger characters unacceptable. Thus 18 is kind of a compromise age fitting for an avatar character. The two also don't really appear very adult-like in their appearance or personality. Azura being slightly older than Corrin makes her 19.

If Corrin is 18 then the younger brothers must be below this age. Both of them resemble teenagers far more than they do adults so that fits. Takumi especially is kind of a child with his mental state not being all that mature, so I picture him as a bit younger than Leo. For Leo I guess he's 17 which would make Takumi 16.

I'd put Xander at 28. He seems the oldest by a good margin and one of the rare characters who actually seems capable of being a father without any deeprealm nonsense. Ryoma strikes me as younger than Xander. I'd put him  at 27.

Camilla has some uh....mature features so I certainly put her as older than Hinoka. Probably her 24 to Hinoka's 22.

Sakura seems the only Hoshidan who's older than her counterpart. More a kid than a teenager but not that young either. I'd put her on 14 and Elise is probably 12 at best. 

Siegbert is based around the typical Marth archetype so he's likely around 18 years old. Shiro must be in that range too, but perhaps slightly older due to his size. 

We know Forrest is Siegbert's younger cousin so he's still a teenager. That said he doesn't seem that young so I assume he's 15. Kiragi on the other hand is more of a shota boy so I'd say he's 13, maybe 14 at best. 

Both physically and mentally Kana's clearly the youngest of the entire roster by a good margin. He seems young even among the other kids so I guess he'd be about 10 years old. 

Awakening

In Awakening I always assumed that the first gen are all(barring the obvious exceptions like Ricken and Lissa) young adults in the 20-25 range while the second gens are teenagers in the 15-20 range, aside from Morgan who's clearly younger than that, and Laurent who due to time travel shenanigans is a little older than that. 

Edited by Etrurian emperor

2 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I'd put her on 14 and Elise is probably 12 at best. 

I don't think she's that young. In her support with Azura, it's more or less stated that Elise was born around the time Azura was kidnapped. Which wasn't that long after Corrin was, which happened fifteen years before the start of the game. So Elise is 15 at the most. Perhaps a bit younger... but I doubt it'd be as low as 12.

14 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

I don't think she's that young. In her support with Azura, it's more or less stated that Elise was born around the time Azura was kidnapped. Which wasn't that long after Corrin was, which happened fifteen years before the start of the game. So Elise is 15 at the most. Perhaps a bit younger... but I doubt it'd be as low as 12.

Where does it give the specific time frame as to when Corrin was kidnapped? I checked the prologue chapters when this thread was first posted and Mikoto only says a long time ago.

Edited by Jotari

Its not on the official age list posted above but I could swear that Azelle was confirmed to be 18 and Tailtiu as 16.

The age difference between Blume and Tailtiu is probably pretty steep. Blume already looks like an old man in his late fifties and given that Reptor is pretty elderly it wouldn't be strange if Blume was in his 30's during gen 1. The big age difference and not growing up together might also induce a certain emotional distance required when torturing your sister to death.

With Julius being younger than Seliph he's probably 15 or 16 years old. Given they're a couple Ishtar should be around that general age but probably a little older. Ishtar seems older and more mature than the 16 year old Tailtiu so I'd guess she's 17 or 18 years old. 

7 hours ago, Jotari said:

Where does it give the specific time frame as to when Corrin was kidnapped? I checked the prologue chapters when this thread was first posted and Mikoto only says a long time ago.

It's in the artbook.

On that subject, since Hinoka mentions being seven when she began training with the naginata, which was a consequence of Corrin being kidnapped, then she's more or less 22 in Fates.

4 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Its not on the official age list posted above but I could swear that Azelle was confirmed to be 18 and Tailtiu as 16.

The age difference between Blume and Tailtiu is probably pretty steep. Blume already looks like an old man in his late fifties and given that Reptor is pretty elderly it wouldn't be strange if Blume was in his 30's during gen 1. The big age difference and not growing up together might also induce a certain emotional distance required when torturing your sister to death.

With Julius being younger than Seliph he's probably 15 or 16 years old. Given they're a couple Ishtar should be around that general age but probably a little older. Ishtar seems older and more mature than the 16 year old Tailtiu so I'd guess she's 17 or 18 years old. 

Kaga states a few ages here:

https://serenesforest.net/general/designers-notes/holy-war/shouzou-kagas-comments/

However, who knows how much validity it has, since they seem to just be drafts of story ideas.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

With Elise at 15, I'd wager that Sakura is 16, Takumi is 17, and Leo is roughly the same age as Corrin at 18 (albeit a tad younger, of course).

Speaking of Fates, I'd definitely like to know Reina's age since she's one of the older characters in the roster. I think she might be in her 30s?

10 hours ago, indigoasis said:

With Elise at 15, I'd wager that Sakura is 16, Takumi is 17, and Leo is roughly the same age as Corrin at 18 (albeit a tad younger, of course).

Speaking of Fates, I'd definitely like to know Reina's age since she's one of the older characters in the roster. I think she might be in her 30s?

As I disappointingly found out when I tried to pair her with Ryoma, she is infertile if not paired with Corrin and his wonder genes. Hence Reina must logically be in her 50s.

Edited by Jotari

Gordin is probably one of the few ''technically an adult'' characters where he genuinely is a real adult rather than the localisation team having to slip a shotacon past the censors. He's mostly depicted as a peer of the twenty-something Able, Cain and Draug, and him being a very effective big brother shows some maturity on his part. His discomfort of looking so small is also something that shows up in his personality rather than being something he just has to insist to the player to make romancing him acceptable. So all in all gordin's probably really in his twenties. 

Chad is probably 14 since he's seen as just a kid while also being the ''big brother'' of the 13 year old twins. 

Lekain isn't particularly grey but he's definitely in his 60's. He was already at the top of the Begnion pyramid during the Serenes massacre so he must have had a pretty long career even back then. His gloating over the blood pact's effect on Kilvas might mean that was involved with the previous king of Kilvas, which would be significant since Naesalla probably isn't particularly young. 

19 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Lekain isn't particularly grey but he's definitely in his 60's. He was already at the top of the Begnion pyramid during the Serenes massacre so he must have had a pretty long career even back then. His gloating over the blood pact's effect on Kilvas might mean that was involved with the previous king of Kilvas, which would be significant since Naesalla probably isn't particularly young. 

That depends on how the senators gain their positions. They could be hereditary, as they're known as "Dukes of ____". Though Sephiran managed to get his Senatorial position by just randomly showing up one day and being a super good babysitter, which I assume isn't the standard method of election. Though even then Sephiran is duke of somewhere (actually two places, I think, due to a translation error or just bad continuity), so maybe he had a fake identity as a noble or an entire noble family had just coincidentally been wiped out or something.

Point being, if Lekain gained his position through inheritance and not through meritocracy then he could be as young as in his 40s if he was in his 20s during the Serenes Massacre. Though from the look of him 60s certainly isn't a bad estimate. He has the look of someone who's old, but aged well (I'm...not...gay for Lekain; am I? *shudder*). Though if Lekain is in his 60s then Hezul must be in like his late 70s or 80s, as he looks a generation older. Course maybe he is similar in age to Lekain and just looks much older due to not being cut out for the stress that comes with being a duplicitous politician.

20 minutes ago, Jotari said:

That depends on how the senators gain their positions. They could be hereditary, as they're known as "Dukes of ____". Though Sephiran managed to get his Senatorial position by just randomly showing up one day and being a super good babysitter, which I assume isn't the standard method of election. Though even then Sephiran is duke of somewhere (actually two places, I think, due to a translation error or just bad continuity), so maybe he had a fake identity as a noble or an entire noble family had just coincidentally been wiped out or something.

I always found Sephiran's identity a very unfortunate plot hole. Begnion is depicted as a nation with a downright suicidal classist mentality and that not even self preservation will make the senate waver on promoting only their own class. They're even willing to completely self destruct their own military just to ensure the plebs don't get anything. Even before Valtome showed how this would work in practice you already had the likes of Ulki, Shinon and Ashnard stating that Begnion would always insist on appointing nitwits as their general to uphold the armies blood purity. 

So for this very same Begnion to then appoint a random hobo as senator and then chancellor just sounds weird. Or that they don't aggressively scour any fake bloodline Sephiran showed them, and expose him to remove him from his position. 

27 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Point being, if Lekain gained his position through inheritance and not through meritocracy then he could be as young as in his 40s if he was in his 20s during the Serenes Massacre. Though from the look of him 60s certainly isn't a bad estimate. He has the look of someone who's old, but aged well (I'm...not...gay for Lekain; am I? *shudder*). Though if Lekain is in his 60s then Hezul must be in like his late 70s or 80s, as he looks a generation older. Course maybe he is similar in age to Lekain and just looks much older due to not being cut out for the stress that comes with being a duplicitous politician.

Hezul's certainly a good decade older than Lekain. I could see him already being a big shot senator when Lekain and Oliver were still rookies. 

6 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I always found Sephiran's identity a very unfortunate plot hole. Begnion is depicted as a nation with a downright suicidal classist mentality and that not even self preservation will make the senate waver on promoting only their own class. They're even willing to completely self destruct their own military just to ensure the plebs don't get anything. Even before Valtome showed how this would work in practice you already had the likes of Ulki, Shinon and Ashnard stating that Begnion would always insist on appointing nitwits as their general to uphold the armies blood purity. 

So for this very same Begnion to then appoint a random hobo as senator and then chancellor just sounds weird. Or that they don't aggressively scour any fake bloodline Sephiran showed them, and expose him to remove him from his position. 

The game just didn't stress the massive cultural importance Begnion places on babysitting and male modeling!