Jump to content
CyberZord

What First-Party 3DS games are worth buying in 2022?

Recommended Posts

So, I've become nostalgic for the Nintendo 3DS and its game library as of recent, and wish to get a good chunk of 3DS games on my shelf again (used to own a 3DS and a good bunch of games in the past, but I lost my old system and games). I recently bought a 2DS (don't judge me) and am now deciding on which first-party 3DS games are worth buying.

I know it's 2022 and the Nintendo Switch has basically replaced the 3DS since 2017, but the 3DS always held a special place in my heart for being a fun handheld system that alleviated my boredom from 2011-2017. Plus, I'm the kind of guy who likes to hold onto older game systems in order to play some games that can only be played on that particular system. 

Only first-party 3DS games are what I'm really looking for, since I don't really care much for the third-party titles that have been released for the system. As long as it's Nintendo, I'd say it counts (but hey, if there's a really, REALLY good third-party 3DS game you can think of, I'll at least consider it if you do mention one). 

I won't list which games I fully intend to buy, as I'd like to see a few recommendations or opinions beforehand. Though I will list a good few games that I'm on the fence about.

First-Party 3DS games I'm on the fence with (Updated)Pokémon Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire, Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon, Pokémon Mystery Dungeon Gates to Infinity, Metroid: Samus Returns, Mario Party: The Top 100, The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds, Mario and Sonic at the London 2012 and Rio 2016 Olympic games 3DS versions (Own the console versions on Wii and Wii U respectively), Fire Emblem Fates: Revelation (It's more of a third DLC route, but I figured that I'd still include it) and WarioWare Gold.

Feel free to recommend any first-party 3DS games that come to mind, as I'm wondering which games are worth the buy in 2022, and which ones aren't really worth it.

Edited by CyberZord

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, CyberZord said:

Pokémon Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire

For what my crummy opinion of 3DS Pokemon is worth I think this is the best of that era.

4 hours ago, CyberZord said:

Pokémon Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon

Personally I had a bad time playing this and wouldn't recommend if you have played S/M. The main campaign doesn't alter enough to be enjoyable and some of the stuff they added just looked too tedious to me when I got to the postgame.

If you haven't I'd say there's a bit more to consider as you haven't played S/M so you don't have that very close overlap for the first three islands in your mind.

4 hours ago, CyberZord said:

Metroid: Samus Returns

I'm hoping for a sale myself as I'm curious about this game now after playing Dread.

4 hours ago, CyberZord said:

Tomodachi Life

Kind of a fluffly, weird title at times but getting to the memey moments this game delivers can take some time as you're having to figure out what gets Miis to respond as you want.

Admittedly I didn't play this much so I don't have a deep opinion.

4 hours ago, CyberZord said:

Paper Mario Sticker Star, Mario Sports Superstars, Mario Party: The Top 100, Mario and Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games, Mario and Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games and WarioWare Gold.

No opinion on, haven't touched.

Admittedly a pretty large chunk of my 3DS library is FE and Pokemon, but outside of that I'll mention the LoZ titles that got on 3DS, OoT and MM's remakes and A Link Between Worlds, the former two for their historical significance and the latter because I find it to be the most fun 2D Zelda title. As for outside Ninty, I'll say Shantae and the Pirate's Curse plays very well on it but if you want the series on one console look to the Switch. But for me, the JRPG I should mention is Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology (it's an exclusive). It's from Atlus, but I enjoyed the gameplay, the setting (despite it's very limited scope) and the music (Yoko Shimomura's work tends to do that.). I'd say look at some footage first and decide from there, I didn't recall there being a demo but if there is try that.

As for a title I wouldn't recommend, I'd say Codename STEAM. I just find the margins super tight in it to the detriment of the player, but then again I found it for €10 so it wasn't much of a hit for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oof, 3DS collecting in 2022? Even before the eshop shutdown was announced, prices for systems and game carts had skyrocketed thanks to scalpers. 

Kirby Planet Robobot and Zelda: Link Between Worlds Are S tier of their respective franchises in my book, and I'd be willing to say they're the two best 3DS games period - not accounting for taste since we, y'know, we can't account for taste. Can't think of a single thing wrong or disappointing about them.

If I were making a top 5 3DS games list, I imagine it would also include Kid Icarus Uprising, Metroid Samus Returns, and Radiant Historia Perfect Chronology. Kid Icarus asks a lot from the player with its control scheme, but the game is a blast. It's got incredibly charming writing, phenomenonal music, highly replayable levels, I think they knocked it out of the park. Metroid may feel like just a prototype of Dread at this point, but I'm a fan of Metroid 2 and think it's approach as a remake is pretty unique and special. I have the same opinion of Fire Emblem Echoes come to think of it. Radiant Historia's 3DS remake I actually haven't played, but I think the DS original is a contender for best RPG of the 21st century. The 3DS remake adds some bonus story content and full voice acting, so I don't see how they could go wrong there. You actually just missed it but there was a huge eshop sale of Atlus published games a couple weeks back. That would have been the ideal time to jump on Radiant Historia.

10 hours ago, CyberZord said:

Paper Mario Sticker Star (I know of its reputation, but I have still taken it into consideration for purchasing),

Even so, it feels morally incorrect to simply ignore somebody's interest in that game. It's not even "the worst in the series", it's the worst Nintendo game released in the years I've been alive. Its npcs are lifeless pun dispensers, its battle system is mechanically pointless, the puzzle solutions are so obtuse and poorly thought out that I'm convinced nobody has ever finished the game without a guide. I don't even think it looks or sounds nice for 3DS standards. I don't care what price you find this one in, it's never worth your time to check it out. I've done 10$ bargain bin dives on Hey Pikmin and Chibi Robo Ziplash, those are at functional.

Edited by Zapp Branniglenn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I recommend getting those Fire Emblem games on the Nintendo 3DS especially Echoes: Shadows of Valentia as well. And other first party Nintendo 3DS games you should get is Super Mario 3D Land, Star Fox 64 3D, and Kid Icarus Uprising as well.

Also for Virtual Console games, I recommend The Mysterious Murasame Castle since the only Western release that The Mysterious Murasame Castle is in the Nintendo 3DS as of right now. And it is a sister game to The Legend of Zelda since it was released at the same year as Zelda 1 was.

Edited by King Marth 64

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Zapp Branniglenn said:

the puzzle solutions are so obtuse and poorly thought out that I'm convinced nobody has ever finished the game without a guide. 

I kind of did, I only resorted to looking up info on gameFAQs when I was  filling out the museum. But if he wants an quality Mario RPG, than most of the Mario & Luigi games would easily qualify; which isn't that hard, given how bland Sticker Star is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Dayni said:

Personally I had a bad time playing this and wouldn't recommend if you have played S/M. The main campaign doesn't alter enough to be enjoyable and some of the stuff they added just looked too tedious to me when I got to the postgame.

If you haven't I'd say there's a bit more to consider as you haven't played S/M so you don't have that very close overlap for the first three islands in your mind.

@Dayni (Note: I'm using spoiler boxes for everyone I reply to in this reply just so that I can make this long reply a bit shorter. There's no actual spoilers in the boxes that have hidden content)

Spoiler

I never played the original Sun/Moon when it initially released, and the same goes for the Ultra versions of both games. I'm more so debating whether I buy Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire or Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon (or maybe even buy both if it's truly worth it). I already plan to buy Pokémon X out of both X/Y, since Pokémon X/Y was the first set of Pokémon games that got me into the series to begin with, and Pokémon Y was the very first Pokémon game I played (I prefer the legendary in X over Y's despite Y being the version I originally played, which is why I plan to get X this time around). I never buy both versions of the mainline Pokémon games, since there's a very little amount of differences outside of some different Pokémon and a different legendary to obtain. Also, I have no plan to go back and buy Pokémon games before X/Y, since the main series has basically always had the same style of gameplay up until Legends: Arceus came out.

Now on one hand, OR/AS is a remake of an older Pokémon game made in the style of X/Y, so it could potentially feel like a reskin of X/Y with a the same location and Pokémon from the original Ruby and Sapphire games. Then again, I did buy Brilliant Diamond, which was a remake of Pokémon Diamond, so a remake isn't completely off the table. On the other hand, US/UM are ultra versions of Sun/Moon, and its a completely new Pokémon game that isn't based off an older game, so not only is there new content added from the original games, it also contains new Pokémon for Gen 7. Though that doesn't mean that the game doesn't have its faults too. From what I've heard, US/UM are pretty hand-holdy among a few other faults, so I suppose it's down to what I'd prefer: a remake or an Ultra-version of the Gen 7 games. 

16 hours ago, Zapp Branniglenn said:

Oof, 3DS collecting in 2022? Even before the eshop shutdown was announced, prices for systems and game carts had skyrocketed thanks to scalpers. 

(Regarding Paper Mario: SS) Even so, it feels morally incorrect to simply ignore somebody's interest in that game. It's not even "the worst in the series", it's the worst Nintendo game released in the years I've been alive. Its npcs are lifeless pun dispensers, its battle system is mechanically pointless, the puzzle solutions are so obtuse and poorly thought out that I'm convinced nobody has ever finished the game without a guide. I don't even think it looks or sounds nice for 3DS standards. I don't care what price you find this one in, it's never worth your time to check it out.

@Zapp Branniglenn 

Spoiler

Actually, 3DS games aren't really that bad in price, at least not compared to the GameCube games (though if we give it another decade, it'll probably reach some insane prices, so it's better that I get the games now rather than later). From what I've seen on eBay specifically, games like Super Mario 3D Land, Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon, and New Super Mario Bros. 2 all sell for rather cheap at around $10-20. Even some of the more pricey 3DS games still only sell for $40 New, which is the usual MSRP price for brand new 3DS games (though to be fair, those $40 3DS games I mentioned are usually the "World Edition" versions, which are basically the same as a regular US copy, but with a slightly different insert. Now for the original US copies, those sell for more than the World Edition ones for some reason, which is why I'll probably be getting the World Editions depending on the price for each version). Though that's just what I've seen from my searches on eBay, as it could be different on other websites like Amazon or GameStop. 

So in regards to Paper Mario: Sticker Star... Yes, I can agree that it's a truly terrible entry for both Paper Mario and Nintendo games in general. But just because it's a bad game doesn't mean I wish to never play it. Plus, you're talking to the guy that spent $255 on Path of Radiance just so he could play it on the original system. It's not much of a stretch to say that I'd be willing to suffer through Sticker Star because of my love for the Paper Mario Series.

15 hours ago, King Marth 64 said:

I recommend getting those Fire Emblem games on the Nintendo 3DS especially Echoes: Shadows of Valentia as well. And other first party Nintendo 3DS games you should get is Super Mario 3D Land, Star Fox 64 3D, and Kid Icarus Uprising as well.

Also for Virtual Console games, I recommend The Mysterious Murasame Castle since the only Western release that The Mysterious Murasame Castle is in the Nintendo 3DS as of right now. And it is a sister game to The Legend of Zelda since it was released at the same year as Zelda 1 was.

@King Marth 64 

Spoiler

Oh yeah, all the 3DS Fire Emblems are easy buys for me. Awakening because it both revitalized Fire Emblem and made it very popular in the US. Fates because I need a game that'll give a multiple routes fix like Three Houses (though I'm not sure about Revelation, because it kind of ruins Birthright and Conquest). Echoes: Shadows of Valentia simply because I hear that it's got full-voice acting like Three Houses, and that alone sells the game for me. Super Mario 3D Land is also an easy buy because it was actually my first 3DS game that I played back when I first bought a 3DS when it first launched all the way back in 2011. I'm not too big on Star Fox because I'm not a fan of its gameplay, and Kid Icarus Uprising will probably end up in my: "Maybe" section for first-party 3DS games. Not that I'm completely against buying KIU, but there are other first-party 3DS games that I'm prioritizing when it comes to purchasing, so it'll most likely end up being on the latter end of my list. 

13 hours ago, Armchair General said:

if he wants an quality Mario RPG, than most of the Mario & Luigi games would easily qualify; which isn't that hard, given how bland Sticker Star is.

@Armchair General 

Spoiler

I was wondering when somebody was going to mention the Mario & Luigi games. Every entry in that series is in my: "easy buy" list for first-party 3DS games, and that includes both Dream Team and Paper Jam (Y'know, that awkward crossover-ish game that was more Mario & Luigi than Paper Mario?) plus the remakes of Superstar Saga and Bowser's Inside Story. Partners in Time is on my Wii U virtual console, so I've already got that game covered there.

 Alright, that's enough typing for this reply, as it's gone on for far, far too long. Apologies to anyone who may have gotten lost in my big wall of text (Holy crap, it's just like a Fog of War chapter, I thought it was never going to end!)

Edited by CyberZord

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, CyberZord said:

I never played the original Sun/Moon when it initially released, and the same goes for the Ultra versions of both games. I'm more so debating whether I buy Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire or Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon (or maybe even buy both if it's truly worth it). I already plan to buy Pokémon X out of both X/Y, since Pokémon X/Y was the first set of Pokémon games that got me into the series to begin with, and Pokémon Y was the very first Pokémon game I played (I prefer the legendary in X over Y's despite Y being the version I originally played, which is why I plan to get X this time around). I never buy both versions of the mainline Pokémon games, since there's a very little amount of differences outside of some different Pokémon and a different legendary to obtain. Also, I have no plan to go back and buy Pokémon games before X/Y, since the main series has basically always had the same style of gameplay up until Legends: Arceus came out.

Now on one hand, OR/AS is a remake of an older Pokémon game made in the style of X/Y, so it could potentially feel like a reskin of X/Y with a the same location and Pokémon from the original Ruby and Sapphire games. Then again, I did buy Brilliant Diamond, which was a remake of Pokémon Diamond, so a remake isn't completely off the table. On the other hand, US/UM are ultra versions of Sun/Moon, and its a completely new Pokémon game that isn't based off an older game, so not only is there new content added from the original games, it also contains new Pokémon for Gen 7. Though that doesn't mean that the game doesn't have its faults too. From what I've heard, US/UM are pretty hand-holdy among a few other faults, so I suppose it's down to what I'd prefer: a remake or an Ultra-version of the Gen 7 games. 

I get only wanting one of the versions, never was trying to argue that and I wouldn't do it myself. Personally I like the DS era of Pokemon the best (my top three's BW2, HGSS and Plat), but it's your call to make.

For me, ORAS does have a different feel as a region aesthetically alongside some additions that are very nice compared to X/Y (DexNav was a fantastic addition for trying to hunt specific Pokemon, the soaring  and the contests came into the remake unscathed (Compared to BDSP's......)). I've said already I was not fond of playing Alola titles due to that slowing in pace, but if you're going to pick one on challenge USUM's probably more solid overall (though ORAS has a nasty surprise in the champion fight that I wasn't ready for despite playing the GBA games).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Re: Sticker Star, I never made it past the first world, and I have no desire to go back to it. I can't recommend it, even as someone in love with TTYD.

Kid Icarus Uprising is a great one, as @Zapp Branniglenn said. Awesome dialogue, character designs, and customization options. The controls are tricky to get down, but I found them intuitive.

Seconding his recommendation for A Link Between Worlds. An excellent top-down Zelda experience with an open structure, and some neat new characters.

As for Sun/Moon versus the Ultra versions, the former were more original, and had a better story (IMO). The latter have a bunch more content to their names. I could see a case for going for either one, if you're new to Gen VII.

As the Virtual Console goes, if you like 2D platformers, I would recommend Super Mario Land 2 and the Wario Land games. SML2 and SML3: WL are fairly simple life-based platforming games with varied power-ups, with an emphasis on coin collecting. WL2 and 3 change up the formula by removing the lives, and instead of powerups, Wario changes form based on enemy encounters (i.e. getting set on fire, getting crushed). And they have lots of Treasures to collect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In terms of 1st party 3DS recommendations I haven't seen listed yet in this thread, Pushmo, Dillon's Rolling Western, and Dillon's Rolling Western: The Last Ranger are titles I've personally played and highly enjoyed. Pushmo I defeated at least 95% of the puzzles, and the Dillon's Rolling Western games I completed 100%, except for the 2nd game's Item List and Bestiary. The games I listed are pretty cheap ($9-$15) since they're download only titles, but you get a lot of content and playtime out of them. I haven't played Pushmo's sequels or Dillon's Dead Heat Breakers, so I can't give an accurate recommendation on them.

Pushmo is a simplistic yet fun puzzle game where you push and pull blocks to climb up block stacks and reach the goal. The game is forgiving in that it lets you skip story/post-story puzzles if you spend too long on a puzzle due to not knowing how to solve it. You can also rewind time if you mess up a jump or reset the whole puzzle so you don't get soft-locked. Some of the later block stacks are modeled after animals and even classic Nintendo characters like Mario, Donkey Kong, and Link. You can even make your own puzzles and get a QR code for them to let others try them out.

The Dillon's Rolling Western games are a hybrid of tower defense and action. The basic goal of the game is to protect the town's livestock from getting eaten by rock monsters (a.k.a. Grocks). The game require a lot of strategizing, micro-managing, and quick thinking/decision making. I'll admit, the games have a somewhat steep learning curve and the game series definitely isn't for everyone, due to how overwhelming the Grock raids can get. But if you're looking for a challenging and unique gameplay experience that'll test your reflexes, brains, and decision-making skills, I highly recommend it. If you want to stick with just one of the Dillon's Rolling Western games, I'd recommend the 2nd game: Dillon's Rolling Western: The Last Ranger.

Also, if you want more details and information about the Dillon's Rolling Western games, there's these two threads you can refer to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Dayni said:

I get only wanting one of the versions, never was trying to argue that and I wouldn't do it myself. Personally I like the DS era of Pokemon the best (my top three's BW2, HGSS and Plat), but it's your call to make.

For me, ORAS does have a different feel as a region aesthetically alongside some additions that are very nice compared to X/Y (DexNav was a fantastic addition for trying to hunt specific Pokemon, the soaring  and the contests came into the remake unscathed (Compared to BDSP's......)). I've said already I was not fond of playing Alola titles due to that slowing in pace, but if you're going to pick one on challenge USUM's probably more solid overall (though ORAS has a nasty surprise in the champion fight that I wasn't ready for despite playing the GBA games).

@Dayni I never figured that you were arguing about which version to get. I was simply just saying that to state my opinion on the matter when it comes to buying one version or the other. From what I hear, the DS era is one of the better eras of Pokémon, and I can see why. I just don't really care much for the 2D style that the older games had, and I'd rather limit my Pokémon games to 3DS to Switch. That way I won't feel too burnt out with the series once Scarlet/Violet comes out, which is another Switch title that I'm looking forward to, particularly given that I liked Pokémon Sword/Shield and Gen 8 in general.  Thanks for respecting my decision regarding the older games pre-X/Y. 

Man, both OR/AS and US/UM sound like solid titles to have for the 3DS/2DS. It's going to be a tough decision regarding which one I buy (though I suppose I could always take the easy way out and buy both). I have no doubt that OR/AS is a better remake than BD/SP, especially in regards to the content that was added or carried over. As for US/UM, I like the region that's in it, and the new Pokémon in that game seem pretty great too. I don't really care too much for challenge when it comes to Pokémon, since the games never really feel too hard overall, though take that with a grain of salt because I've only ever beaten Sword, only played a portion of Y, and am about halfway through beating Brilliant Diamond (can't believe the player's rival in this game was actually smart enough to choose the starter with type advantage over the player's. Well played, Barry, well played)

40 minutes ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Re: Sticker Star, I never made it past the first world, and I have no desire to go back to it. I can't recommend it, even as someone in love with TTYD.

As for Sun/Moon versus the Ultra versions, the former were more original, and had a better story (IMO). The latter have a bunch more content to their names. I could see a case for going for either one, if you're new to Gen VII.

As the Virtual Console goes, if you like 2D platformers, I would recommend Super Mario Land 2 and the Wario Land games. SML2 and SML3: WL are fairly simple life-based platforming games with varied power-ups, with an emphasis on coin collecting. WL2 and 3 change up the formula by removing the lives, and instead of powerups, Wario changes form based on enemy encounters (i.e. getting set on fire, getting crushed). And they have lots of Treasures to collect.

@Shanty Pete's 1st Mate Ah, man... Now you're giving me second, second thoughts on Sticker Star. TTYD's my second favorite Paper Mario right behind SPM. PM64 was a great way to start off the series, and TOK was surprisingly good despite coming after Sticker Star and Color Splash (at least to me). As for Color Splash, I never bought it, so I'm not sure about it outside of the general consensus that it's slightly better than Sticker Star. I used to own SS myself, but lost it one day and no longer have it. I'm conflicted over it, because part of me WANTS to own all the Paper Mario games and have the bragging rights to say that I both own them all and have beaten them all. Plus, I'm kind of not satisfied with the fact that I never beat it and still haven't. Though on the other hand, the story's just about as basic as the mainline games, there's practically no unique characters at all asides from Kersti, the sticker system is... well... everyone already knows about that, and the puzzles can be pretty ridiculous to the point where guides are usually required. The farthest I got in the game last time was around World 2 or 3, but just like you, I also gave up on the game simply because of how dull it was. I don't know, there's still a lingering feeling from the past that wishes to see this game through to the end, no matter how bad it may be, so as long as that still remains and I'm not 100% against owning Sticker Star, it will remain on the list of games that I'm on the fence with.

Wait, hold up. So you're telling me that S/M has a different story compared to US/UM? I thought that US/UM were simply better versions of S/M with more content in it. 

Virtual Console games are definitely important right now, especially since the Wii U and 3DS eshops will be closing down soon, just like the original Wii shop channel did a while ago. I love the Wario Land series, so the VC versions of SML2-WL3 are easy buys for me. I'll have to give a good look at more of the VC games considering that they won't be available once the 3DS eshop closes down. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, CyberZord said:

Man, both OR/AS and US/UM sound like solid titles to have for the 3DS/2DS. It's going to be a tough decision regarding which one I buy (though I suppose I could always take the easy way out and buy both). I have no doubt that OR/AS is a better remake than BD/SP, especially in regards to the content that was added or carried over. As for US/UM, I like the region that's in it, and the new Pokémon in that game seem pretty great too. I don't really care too much for challenge when it comes to Pokémon, since the games never really feel too hard overall, though take that with a grain of salt because I've only ever beaten Sword, only played a portion of Y, and am about halfway through beating Brilliant Diamond (can't believe the player's rival in this game was actually smart enough to choose the starter with type advantage over the player's. Well played, Barry, well played)

I'll leave that decision to you.

As for the rival picking your weakness, that's been going on since Gen 5 (where you got two rivals picking the other starters) and since Gen 7 there's only been the one rival and they're picking to advantage the player. And BDSP is funny in that the decision to combine Friendship and Affection together just fucked the game's difficulty in the late game from what I've seen. Personally if I'm ever playing it I'm getting the game modded.

5 hours ago, CyberZord said:

Wait, hold up. So you're telling me that S/M has a different story compared to US/UM? I thought that US/UM were simply better versions of S/M with more content in it. 

There's some alterations but it doesn't change much early on. When the evil team plot does get going it is fairly different (and when it comes to the main villain I'd argue worse), with other changes most frequently in that part of the game.

There's also the postgame episode that USUM added, which replaced a quest that was in S/M.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't got back the the 3DS games, but I am thinking about getting Radiant Historia, yes. While I haven't played, other Atlus players have also recommended Devil Survivor, and they might be worth checking. Keep in mind, however, that physical copies of anything from Atlus are ridiculously expensive, so I would prioritise getting virtual copies from the eShop.

To be honest, I wouldn't really bother with FE Awakening. The gameplay was either brain-dead easy or flat out unwinnable (especially the first 2-3 chapters), and I wasn't really impressed with the story either - it was too black-and-white for my taste and had very little worldbuilding. Conquest had much better gameplay - if you are happy to ignore the story (or alternately, read my LP which is a hilarious pro-US WW2 story in Conquest gameplay lol), that might be worth playing.

As for the Zelda remakes, it depends on whether you played the games themselves before and and want to revisit. The story hasn't changed at all, btw. Not sure about Link Between Worlds.

For Hyrule Warriors, some people have brought up performance issues like framerate, and in my case specifically, I noticed that there were reduced number of mooks that appeared at any one time even though there are actually dozens. It shouldn't affect single-player mode all that much, but YMMV. Some have also noted, Pokemon Sun and Moon being laggy on older versions, though they also noted that the performance on New 2/3DS aren't better enough to justify buying them. (Mine was the old 2DS.)

Edited by henrymidfields

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I recommend The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds and Metroid: Samus Returns. The former for being a faithful yet modernized followup to one of the most classic Zelda titles, the latter for being Samus' return to form with a remake of one of her most oft-overlooked entries that revamps the mechanics and layout.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, henrymidfields said:

To be honest, I wouldn't really bother with FE Awakening. The gameplay was either brain-dead easy or flat out unwinnable (especially the first 2-3 chapters), and I wasn't really impressed with the story either - it was too black-and-white for my taste and had very little worldbuilding. Conquest had much better gameplay - if you are happy to ignore the story (or alternately, read my LP which is a hilarious pro-US WW2 story in Conquest gameplay lol), that might be worth playing.

As for the Zelda remakes, it depends on whether you played the games themselves before and and want to revisit. The story hasn't changed at all, btw. Not sure about Link Between Worlds.

For Hyrule Warriors, some people have brought up performance issues like framerate, and in my case specifically, I noticed that there were reduced number of mooks that appeared at any one time even though there are actually dozens. It shouldn't affect single-player mode all that much, but YMMV.

My curiosity's been peaked enough with Awakening to where I'd like to have at least one playthrough with the game. Considering that I liked Birthright, I'll probably have some fun with Awakening. My initial thoughts on Conquest were rather negative, but I plan to give it a second chance and hopefully appreciate it for what it is the next time around (A WW2 story in Conquest? Well, sounds better than whatever Conquest was trying to do with its story).

I have played Ocarina of Time & Majora's Mask before, both on N64 (through Virtual Console) and 3DS. Like Wind Waker and Twilight Princess' remasters on Wii U, I liked the 3DS remasters of OoT and MM, and prefer them over the originals. May get the "3D" versions again because I love me a good Zelda remaster. 

As for Hyrule Warriors, I'd probably just get the Definitive Edition on Switch at this point. I used to have the original Wii U version before the 3DS port came out, but I never really cared enough to buy the 3DS version. I've seen a bit of the 3DS version, and it's not a port I'd really consider purchasing. Besides, the Switch version has every thing the Wii U and 3DS versions had and then some, so it's easily the best option when it comes to buying Hyrule Warriors nowadays. 

9 hours ago, Lord_Brand said:

I recommend The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds and Metroid: Samus Returns. The former for being a faithful yet modernized followup to one of the most classic Zelda titles, the latter for being Samus' return to form with a remake of one of her most oft-overlooked entries that revamps the mechanics and layout.

I always considered The Legend of Zelda: A Link to The Past to be one of the weaker entries in the series (unpopular opinion, I know), and considering that A Link Between Worlds is essentially a remake of that game but with some new additions, I can't say that it would be a game I'm just dying to buy. 

As for Metroid: Samus Returns, I can appreciate the fact that Nintendo decided to not let the true sequel to the original Metroid be forgotten to time and gave it a remake. Though I can't help but wonder if the game will just feel like a precursor to Metroid Dread. 

Edited by CyberZord

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, CyberZord said:

I always considered The Legend of Zelda: A Link to The Past to be one of the weaker entries in the series (unpopular opinion, I know), and considering that A Link Between Worlds is essentially a remake of that game but with some new additions, I can't say that it would be a game I'm just dying to buy. 

As for Metroid: Samus Returns, I can appreciate the fact that Nintendo decided to not let the true sequel to the original Metroid be forgotten to time and gave it a remake. Though I can't help but wonder if the game will just feel like a precursor to Metroid Dread. 

I'll acknowledge that ALttP is rather simplistic compared to, say, Ocean's Heart, but I still have fond memories of it and played through it a while back. What are some of ALttP's shortcomings, in your opinion?

Metroid Dread does build off of Samus Returns' gameplay. Same developers, I believe. That said, I liked Returns' gameplay and have thus far enjoyed how Dread plays. Much tighter and more responsive than Super Metroid's rather floaty controls.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Lord_Brand said:

What are some of ALttP's shortcomings, in your opinion?

Metroid Dread does build off of Samus Returns' gameplay. Same developers, I believe. That said, I liked Returns' gameplay and have thus far enjoyed how Dread plays. Much tighter and more responsive than Super Metroid's rather floaty controls.

I never really liked the gameplay and style of the older Zelda games pre-Ocarina of Time. Plus, the game has that top-down perspective which I also can't say that I like. Also, navigating through the world(s) in ALttP was a bit of a pain. I can say that ALBW seems to be a major improvement upon the game it's based on, but my main issue with it is that it's still ALttP at its core. Though if it were a 2D Mario, Metroid, or Kirby game, I'd happily play through those. Probably down to a mixture of gameplay and how appealing the 2D perspective is within the particular game.

You're right about the developers for Samus Returns being the same ones who developed Metroid Dread. That would explain the similarities that I've seen (though to be fair, most if not all of the 2D Metroid games have a similar gameplay style). Metroid Dread's the only 2D Metroid game that I've played, so I'll have to check out the other 2D titles within the series when I get the chance.

Edited by CyberZord

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, CyberZord said:

(A WW2 story in Conquest? Well, sounds better than whatever Conquest was trying to do with its story).

I haven't exactly finished it, but it's in my signature.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've gotten a good amount of 3DS games for my 2DS since posting this topic, so I figured I'd let everyone here know what games have taken a spot on my shelf among my GameCube, Wii/Wii U, Switch, and Xbox (not the original one) games. 

3DS games I now own: Super Mario 3D Land, New Super Mario Bros. 2, Mario Party Island Tour, Mario Party Star Rush, Mario Kart 7, Every Mario and Luigi game released on the 3DS, including the remakes of Superstar Saga and Bowser's Inside Story (RIP Partners in Time, at least you're on my Wii U virtual console), Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon (Or Luigi's Mansion 2 if you live in Japan), Paper Mario: Sticker Star (Please don't kill me guys), Pokémon X, Fire Emblem: Awakening, Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright + Conquest (Not the special edition of Fates, I chose to buy them individually), Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia, and Tomodachi Life.

I'll be updating the list of games I'm on the fence with list in my original post since I've either bought a game on that list or had a change of opinion. 

I'll add a list of games I'm leaning towards buying in this reply. I'd like to see what the people of Serenes Forest think of the games I list below (Though Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon has already been covered pretty well, so that one doesn't need much more of an explanation).

First-Party 3DS games I'm leaning towards buying: Mario Sports Superstars (it's already got Tennis Open and Golf: World Tour in it, so it seems like a great bundle of sports games included + Horse racing for some reason), Kirby: Triple Deluxe, Kirby Planet Robobot, Pokemon Ultra Sun/Moon, TLoZ: Ocarina of Time 3D and Majora's Mask 3D.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...