Stat blessed and stat screwed.

FailWood

Playing Blazing Sword again, and have gotten gotten one character extremely blessed in one stat, and another character extremely screwed in one stat.

Dorcas here is +8 in Speed compared to his average, and Lowen is -6 in Strength compared to his average.  Neither have received any stat boosters, and both reached level 20 before being promoted.

What are some stat extremes you've had before that don't involve stat boosters or early promoting (+5 or -5 at the minimum)?

IMG_20220508_215709472.jpg

IMG_20220508_215634495.jpg

Yeah, I can never seem to get a good Lowen either. I remember in my last FE7 run, Kent had single digit strength for the longest time. Could double anything, but would never kill, so we'd have to clean up that mess he left behind from that enemy phase. I harped on this a lot back when it happened, but I had an abysmal Ferdinand in my first Maddening run of Three Houses. He starts with 8 speed at level 1, and had 12 speed when he reached level 21. He went UP to 14 as a result of his paladin promotion, and only two of those twenty level ups were as a cavalier, so that's 18 level ups with 50% speed growth, and two levels with 40%. His strength was also similarly poor, I think ending at around 25 - not high enough to kill most targets with Swift Strikes. In that same run, my Petra ended at level 40-ish having just 17 Dex, giving her a lot of trouble hitting stuff with axes. My jaw hit the floor when I finally looked up her Dex growth which is 50%. So that's just ten out of forty level ups where she got Dex.

These Three Houses examples really floor me because, unless you're one of the Faculty units, there's a failsafe in place to ensure you get minimum two stat ups on level up. Statistically, you are far more likely to have higher stats than the mathematical average. Having below average stats on a unit is exceedingly rare the longer you're leveling them up. GBA Fire Emblem has a similar failsafe, though it activates less frequently. If I remember the mechanics correctly, whenever you get an empty level up (no stat increases), the game will reroll to ensure you get at least 1 stat point. And if the reroll produces another empty level up, it'll do it again three times total before giving up and just giving you the empty level. Footage of an empty level up in these games is exceedingly rare because of this.

As for an example of a stat blessed unit, I remember ending up with a L'arachel who capped every stat naturally except HP and Defense. That was pretty neat. 

When ever bless/cursed stated characters comes up

AM-JKLWfHdY11vJkpfgRxq5Z-38_GLGewiT_yXqB

This poor Flroina that I forced all the way to level 12, despite never gaining strength, and thus having less strength than her No-Lyn mode base strength.

AM-JKLVCJtCOTyFEFqT6vaUUgCgDgalspvTJZzFT'.

Then there is the Deke that got ~ +5 on his Res average on the FE6 Ironman Succession game. There have probably been plenty of others, but these were two that came to mind.

By contrast, I have had the pleasure of having an outrageously blessed Lowen. Quoth my play and rank thread:

"His stats at level 14 promoted are supposed to be:

53 HP, 17 strength, 15 skill, 17 speed, 18 luck, 21 defense, 10 resistance.

My Lowen's stats are:

51 HP, 20 strength, 16 skill, 21 speed, 19 luck, 21 defense, 12 resistance."

11 hours ago, Zapp Branniglenn said:

Yeah, I can never seem to get a good Lowen either. I remember in my last FE7 run, Kent had single digit strength for the longest time. Could double anything, but would never kill, so we'd have to clean up that mess he left behind from that enemy phase. I harped on this a lot back when it happened, but I had an abysmal Ferdinand in my first Maddening run of Three Houses. He starts with 8 speed at level 1, and had 12 speed when he reached level 21. He went UP to 14 as a result of his paladin promotion, and only two of those twenty level ups were as a cavalier, so that's 18 level ups with 50% speed growth, and two levels with 40%. His strength was also similarly poor, I think ending at around 25 - not high enough to kill most targets with Swift Strikes. In that same run, my Petra ended at level 40-ish having just 17 Dex, giving her a lot of trouble hitting stuff with axes. My jaw hit the floor when I finally looked up her Dex growth which is 50%. So that's just ten out of forty level ups where she got Dex.

These Three Houses examples really floor me because, unless you're one of the Faculty units, there's a failsafe in place to ensure you get minimum two stat ups on level up. Statistically, you are far more likely to have higher stats than the mathematical average. Having below average stats on a unit is exceedingly rare the longer you're leveling them up. GBA Fire Emblem has a similar failsafe, though it activates less frequently. If I remember the mechanics correctly, whenever you get an empty level up (no stat increases), the game will reroll to ensure you get at least 1 stat point. And if the reroll produces another empty level up, it'll do it again three times total before giving up and just giving you the empty level. Footage of an empty level up in these games is exceedingly rare because of this.

As for an example of a stat blessed unit, I remember ending up with a L'arachel who capped every stat naturally except HP and Defense. That was pretty neat. 

Yeouch.

Anyways, I've gone on record saying this before, but I had a Kaze who had 8 strength at level 14 in my Birthright Lunatic run. Of course, I dropped him like a hot potato, because he was pretty much worthless at that point, as even mages - the enemy type he's meant to counter - weren't that scared of him.

Edited by Shadow Mir

4 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

This poor Flroina that I forced all the way to level 12, despite never gaining strength, and thus having less strength than her No-Lyn mode base strength.

She's -4 Strength compared to her average.

I forgot to take pics when I noticed these, but in the same playthrough, my Eliwood had capped Defense at level 15 promoted, which is +8 compared to his average, and had a Lyn who was level 18 promoted and had 10 Resistance, which is -5 compared to her average.

12 hours ago, Zapp Branniglenn said:

These Three Houses examples really floor me because, unless you're one of the Faculty units, there's a failsafe in place to ensure you get minimum two stat ups on level up.

Wait, is that actually a thing?

23 minutes ago, FailWood said:

At least until you reach the stat caps(highly unlikely).

I don’t really pay much attention to average stats but I had some wildly different Sains during Blazing Blade runs.

24 minutes ago, FailWood said:

Yeah, it is!

Byleth, all the Students, Flayn, and Cyril all get a minimum of 2 stats on level up.  Because they're all 'growth units', I would hazard the guess?

Just now, ciphertul said:

At least until you reach the stat caps(highly unlikely).

I don’t really pay much attention to average stats but I had some wildly different Sains during Blazing Blade runs.

No kidding on the caps.  Why did they make the caps so high?  Some characters even go above 100! (Dedue's, Gilbert's, and Balthus' Hp are all over 100.  I get that they're supposed to be tanks, but still, 100+ in a stat is stupidly high when you're lucky to get to ~50s by endgame)

26 minutes ago, Ouzyxol said:

No kidding on the caps.  Why did they make the caps so high?  Some characters even go above 100! (Dedue's, Gilbert's, and Balthus' Hp are all over 100.  I get that they're supposed to be tanks, but still, 100+ in a stat is stupidly high when you're lucky to get to ~50s by endgame)

In my entire play time of three houses I have reached a single stat cap (Marianne capped her Hp (68) at level 48 with heavy investment). They are insane.

3 hours ago, ciphertul said:

I only pay attention to them in FE games before the 3DS era.