Will Metroid Prime 1-3 and the Wii U Zelda remasters come to the Switch?

PostZordem

So, I've recently heard rumors that the Metroid Prime games will be coming to Switch this year before Metroid Prime 4 is released sometime in the future. I already have all the Metroid Prime games so far (unless you include that one DS game: Metroid Prime: Hunters) so there really doesn't seem like much of a point in getting a remaster of Prime 1 (and by extent, 2 and 3). Though I was curious regardless, so once I heard that there could potentially be a port/remaster of Metroid Prime 1 in particular (2 and 3 were also mentioned, but 1's the one that I hear will be the first to get a remaster so far), I was rather interested in seeing if it could actually happen. Now, if it does come out on Switch and turns out to be a solid remaster (and not like Luigi's Mansion for 3DS), then I might just buy it and sell the original game and 2 + 3 if those get Switch ports too. Though if there's no real use in buying the remaster or it doesn't actually come out, then I'll probably just hold onto the games instead. After all, there's just rumors so far, but they've been popping up a lot as of recent, so I have to wonder if there's an inkling of truth in them. 

Now as for the Wii U Zelda remasters of Wind Waker and Twilight Princess, these two games are also being rumored to be ported to the Switch. To be honest, I kind of don't see it happening since Nintendo rarely ports a remaster (excluding Super Mario All Stars, which was ported from the SNES to the Wii for Mario's 25th anniversary). Though people have been saying that it might happen because there's been a Zelda game released every year for the Switch since 2017, and since Breath of the Wild 2 is being pushed back to 2023, Wind Waker + Twilight Princess could potentially be ported to fill in the gap for 2022. Though if it does happen to be true, I'm not sure if it would be worth buying the Switch versions when I already own both of the Wii U remasters outside of the additional portability. 

To be honest, I would like to have these rumors turn out to be true just like Super Mario 3D All Stars. It would make sense for the Metroid Prime Trilogy to be ported to Switch in preparation for Metroid Prime 4's release (Nintendo could just re-release the Wii Metroid Prime Trilogy but with some modified controls to fit the Switch or add some Pro controller compatibility) and having Wind Waker + Twilight Princess on a better selling system could sell well enough for Nintendo to do it.

Though what does everyone else think about these rumors? Is there a chance that the Switch will get ports of these games? Or are the rumors merely just that: rumors?

EDIT: If you'd rather discuss games that Nintendo themselves confirmed are coming out, then check out the topic I posted where I talk about Metroid Prime 4 and Breath of the Wild 2: Let's talk about Metroid Prime 4 and Breath of the Wild 2

Edited by CyberZord

20 minutes ago, CyberZord said:

After all, there's just rumors so far, but they've been popping up a lot as of recent, so I have to wonder if there's an inkling of truth in them. 

The Prime Trilogy and the Wii U zelda remasters have probably been rumored for the switch every year since Mario Kart 8 Deluxe released in 2017. If it hasn't happened yet, one wonders if it ever will. I think I distinctly remember Prime Trilogy HD being thrown in with the (correct) leak of Mario + Rabbids before E3 2017, so that's why everybody has been so sure of it coming. A lot of nintendo rumors bank on the low stakes game of "if we keep predicting it, it will eventually be right", and this has worked out with how often Wii U games got ported. But let's say they're all announced tomorrow and releasing this year. You're still down a bunch of money rebuying games you already own. What's wrong with the versions you've got? Come to think of it, I was waist deep into a replay of Twilight Princess when its HD remaster was announced. I didn't care because my gamecube copy was still great, and unlike Windwaker I didn't see any changes they could potentially make to improve it. 

The prime games probably won't run any better on Switch. I've heard nothing but bad things regarding the Switch's attempts at pointer controls, it just doesn't match the Wii's sensor bar in terms of accuracy, and that's a big deal for a shooter. You didn't mention which versions of the prime games you own, but if it's already the Wii trilogy, or the Wii U VC version of the trilogy with better load times, then you've got the good version. As for the Zelda games, you're looking at an HD game being brought to another HD system. That is zero potential for an upgrade in visual fidelity, unless they accidentally fix Wind Waker's color pallet to look like the original. All that's left is the portability of the system, but if you happen to be contending with Joycon Drift at that moment then portability becomes moot. 

29 minutes ago, Zapp Branniglenn said:

But let's say they're all announced tomorrow and releasing this year. You're still down a bunch of money rebuying games you already own. What's wrong with the versions you've got? Come to think of it, I was waist deep into a replay of Twilight Princess when its HD remaster was announced. I didn't care because my gamecube copy was still great, and unlike Windwaker I didn't see any changes they could potentially make to improve it. 

The prime games probably won't run any better on Switch. I've heard nothing but bad things regarding the Switch's attempts at pointer controls, it just doesn't match the Wii's sensor bar in terms of accuracy, and that's a big deal for a shooter. You didn't mention which versions of the prime games you own, but if it's already the Wii trilogy, or the Wii U VC version of the trilogy with better load times, then you've got the good version. As for the Zelda games, you're looking at an HD game being brought to another HD system. That is zero potential for an upgrade in visual fidelity, unless they accidentally fix Wind Waker's color pallet to look like the original. All that's left is the portability of the system, but if you happen to be contending with Joycon Drift at that moment then portability becomes moot. 

You make some really great points in regards to MP 1-3 and the Wii U Zelda remasters. I've actually played every version of Twilight Princess, whether it be GameCube (my preferred version over the Wii one when it comes to the original), Wii or Wii U. I mainly bought the Wii U remaster of TP because it added a good few improvements like putting the map on the gamepad (which was a more convenient than having to pause the game every time you're in a dungeon and need to figure out where you are exactly), making parts like hunting for those small white bugs that you need to grab in order to return the world to normal easier (AKA the mandatory Wolf Link parts that happen during Link's adventure to the first 3 dungeons for fused shadow pieces), and adding in an extra dungeon of sorts which can only be accessed with a Wolf Link + Midna amiibo. As for Wind Waker, I never played the original GameCube release, and only played the Wii U remaster, so I have a bit of an attachment to the Wii U version. Plus, the Gamepad features I mentioned before along with a special sail that makes traveling the seas easier makes the remaster my preferred version to play Wind Waker on. I think I'll just hold onto the Wii U remasters of Wind Waker and Twilight Princess because even if there is a Switch port, I doubt that it would change anything asides from removing the convenient gamepad features that the HD remasters have, which would actually be more of an inconvenience if anything (plus, I need a few of the remaining actual good Wii U games to hold onto that haven't been put onto the Switch already). Besides, as I mentioned in my original post, Nintendo's not really known for re-releasing remasters, especially the Zelda ones, so I doubt that this one could even make it to the Switch anyways. 

Yeah I probably should've mentioned which versions of the Prime games that I own... I own Metroid Prime 1 and Metroid Prime 2: Echoes on the GameCube (oh no, does that mean I own the crappier versions of the games when I could've gotten the entire trilogy on the Wii? nOoOoOoOo!), and Metroid Prime 3: Corruption's only available on the Wii anyways. I got the original GameCube versions of MP1 and MP2 because I simply love the GameCube controller and would rather have it on that system than point the Wii remote at a screen for 3 games straight. I may have a bit of an odd preference by choosing the GameCube versions of 1 and 2, but that's just how I'd prefer to play the trilogy to be honest. Now as for pointer controls, I completely agree with you there. Even when Nintendo ported Super Mario Galaxy to the Switch, pointing to the screen with a Switch controller just isn't as great as the way it originally worked on the Wii.

Now I did mention a Pro Controller compatibility option for those who own Switch pro controllers. I feel that it would be pretty easy to implement with MP1 and MP2 given how those two games originally worked with the GameCube's controller (heck, you could probably implement a buttons only option like Skyward Sword HD did by mapping the buttons to a set of Joy Con controllers too). As for MP3, it could probably just work the same way by using MP1 + MP2's hypothetical Switch controls (Imagine playing MP3 with MP1 and MP2's GameCube controls with a GameCube controller. It would basically work like that for a MP3 Switch port but with a reliance on button controls + the control sticks for aiming and shooting). 

Now unlike the Wii U remasters of TP and WW, I actually can see a MP Trilogy Switch port happening, considering that it would be a great time to re-introduce the Metroid Prime games to people before releasing the 4th title in the series. I feel that if Nintendo implements a more buttons only style for controls instead of the Wii's controls in Metroid Prime Trilogy, the Switch port wouldn't control too bad. In fact, it may look a bit sharper and run even better than the Wii version did. Now if the Metroid Prime Trilogy truly did come to the Switch, I'm on the fence over whether I'd really end up buying it. It all depends on how the port would end up: either running the three games great with solid button controls and preferably a new coat of paint, or end up being a 1-1 port of the Metroid Prime Trilogy with nothing else added to differentiate the two. 

9 hours ago, Zapp Branniglenn said:

The prime games probably won't run any better on Switch. I've heard nothing but bad things regarding the Switch's attempts at pointer controls, it just doesn't match the Wii's sensor bar in terms of accuracy, and that's a big deal for a shooter.

The reason for that is the Switch joy-cons don't have an IR pointer so they have to rely on the gyro for pointer controls, and the gyro is slower, less precise, and loses calibration over time due to the lack of a reference point. At this rate, I really don't know why Nintendo doesn't make some kind of IR pointer add-on that can attach to the joy-cons. They made a bongos add-on.

Anyway, I could see the Wii U Zelda remakes get ported to Switch, as there wouldn't really be any complications there. That said, they would almost-certainly just be ports with nothing added to them, but I'm sure they'll charge full price anyway since they somehow felt comfortable charging full price for Skyward Sword HD and locking a gameplay feature behind a $25 amiibo on top of that.

15 hours ago, CyberZord said:

So, I've recently heard rumors that the Metroid Prime games will be coming to Switch this year before Metroid Prime 4 is released sometime in the future. I already have all the Metroid Prime games so far (unless you include that one DS game: Metroid Prime: Hunters) but I haven't gotten too far into MP1 yet, and I haven't even gotten into MP2 and MP3 because I like to play the series in chronological order. So, once I heard that there could potentially be a port/remaster of Metroid Prime 1 in particular (2 and 3 were also mentioned, but 1's the one that I hear will be the first to be getting a remaster so far), I decided to halt my progress on MP1 just so I wouldn't have to play through the first game all over again if it did come out on the Switch. Now, if it does come out on Switch and turns out to be a solid remaster (and not like Luigi's Mansion for 3DS), then I might just buy it and sell the original game and 2 + 3 if those get Switch ports too. Though if there's no real use in buying the remaster or it doesn't actually come out, then I'll probably just hold onto the games instead. After all, there's just rumors so far, but they've been popping up a lot as of recent, so I have to wonder if there's an inkling of truth in them. 

This comes across as exceedingly silly. Maybe I could see the argument if a re-release were already announced. But right now, it's nothing more than a rumor. If you own the game, and want to play it, then why not play it? Even if a re-release comes out, you don't have to buy it. I'd go as far as saying that, since you already own the games, you're not the target audience for such a re-release.

7 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

This comes across as exceedingly silly. Maybe I could see the argument if a re-release were already announced. But right now, it's nothing more than a rumor. If you own the game, and want to play it, then why not play it? Even if a re-release comes out, you don't have to buy it. I'd go as far as saying that, since you already own the games, you're not the target audience for such a re-release.

Fair enough, I will admit that I do sound a bit foolish now that I really think about it (Hold on a minute, I'm getting some Deja Vu, didn't we do something like this in another thread I created?). I played and beat both Sunshine and Galaxy long before 3D All Stars was a thing (my point here being that I played the OG versions of those games before coming across their Switch ports, and I beat both games in the Switch version as well).  I don't even think that the Metroid Prime games are too particularly long, so beating them wouldn't really take too much of my time. Curses, @Shanty Pete's 1st Mate, you've foiled me again with your wise words of wisdom.

Now if a re-release does happen to come out, I'm not sure if I'd actually buy it. On one hand, if they add some great improvements upon the originals like the Zelda remasters did with their original games (Skyward Sword HD being a bit of an exception to this), it could be up for consideration. On the other hand, if it turns out to just be a straight 1-1 port with very little enhancements made like Super Mario 3D All Stars or the Wii version of Super Mario All Stars, then I'll probably just pass it up (though in 3D All Stars' case, I did end up buying it anyways because I'm a sucker for those classic 3D Mario games and there was a limited release window for the game during Mario's 35th Anniversary). 

Allow me to expand upon your "you don't have to buy a re-release" point. When a remaster comes out, it's generally targeted towards people who never played the original game. It doesn't matter as much for those who already own the original unless the remaster adds enough changes and upgrades to justify a purchase of the same game with a new coat of paint. Though in the case of a remake (such as RE1/RE2 Remake or any Pokémon remake not called Brilliant Diamond/Shining Pearl), then I'd say its more justifiable because the remake changes far more from the original game than what a remaster would do. It really depends on what Nintendo would do with a potential port of Metroid Prime 1 (or its sequels).

Edited by CyberZord

Well, it's up to you either way. Not trying to make you feel like you "should" play Metroid Prime on GameCube. I have the game myself, but I never made it far in myself. But if you already have the game and want to play it... well, why not?

45 minutes ago, CyberZord said:

Allow me to expand upon your "you don't have to buy a re-release" point. When a remaster comes out, it's generally targeted towards people who never played the original game. It doesn't matter as much for those who already own the original unless the remaster adds enough changes and upgrades to justify a purchase of the same game with a new coat of paint. Though in the case of a remake (such as RE1/RE2 Remake or any Pokémon remake not called Brilliant Diamond/Shining Pearl), then I'd say its more justifiable because the remake changes far more from the original game than what a remaster would do. It really depends on what Nintendo would do with a potential port of Metroid Prime 1 (or its sequels).

To backtrack a bit, I'd say there are two target audiences when it comes to ports/remasters/remakes. The first group are those who never played the original, due to some form of inaccessibility. I've never had an N64, so I got Ocarina of Time 3D for a way to play that game. Likewise, all Fire Emblem remakes thus far have been of seriously dated games, inaccessible outside of Japan.

The second group are "superfans" of the series, who already played the originals, but will buy any rerelease or remake. Sounds like what you did for Mario 3D All-Stars (not saying that in a judgey way - it's your money, not mine). There can be value in having a game simly for completeness' sake, or for playing it on the most "modern" system. I didn't do that for 3D All-Stars (I already have Galaxy and Sunshine, plus 64 on DS), but there have been plenty of cases where I've bought Game Boy games I already owned on the 3DS Virtual Console. If only because their presentation on 3DS XL is so much better than trying to play them on my Game Boy Advance.

23 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Well, it's up to you either way. Not trying to make you feel like you "should" play Metroid Prime on GameCube. I have the game myself, but I never made it far in myself. But if you already have the game and want to play it... well, why not?

To backtrack a bit, I'd say there are two target audiences when it comes to ports/remasters/remakes. The first group are those who never played the original, due to some form of inaccessibility. 

The second group are "superfans" of the series, who already played the originals, but will buy any rerelease or remake. Sounds like what you did for Mario 3D All-Stars (not saying that in a judgey way - it's your money, not mine).

Hmm... Metroid Prime's in a bit of an odd spot for me. I'm currently more keen on beating some more recent titles like Pokémon (Not So) Brilliant Diamond, Kirby and the Forgotten Land, Pokémon Legends: Arceus, and Xenoblade Chronicles 2 among other games. So, Metroid Prime will probably remain on the backlog until further notice for now. 

I'm guilty as charged when it comes to being a "superfan", at least with the Mario and Zelda series. For Zelda, I've bought every "HD" and "3D" remaster released for the Wii U and 3DS respectively. Plus, I got Skyward Sword HD on Switch. With the exception of Wind Waker, every Zelda remaster that I bought was of a Zelda title that I've already played and owned previously. It's worse for me with Mario, though. All the ports/remasters I'm guilty of buying relating to Mario will be put in the spoiler box below because I list off quite a few games in it.

Spoiler

I bought 3D All Stars, New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe, Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga DX, Mario & Luigi Bowser's Inside Story DX, Mario Party: The Top 100, and Mario Party Superstars (they remastered some boards and minigames from previous titles in the series, so I'd say it counts as a remaster along with: The Top 100) despite having played the original versions of all these games. 

I'm not going to lie, I'd love to see the Metroid Prime games come to Switch, even if it's just so that I could own them on a more modern system. Now I've already gone over why I can see it happening and what I'd like to see out of it, so I won't repeat myself here. 

Edited by CyberZord

18 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

The second group are "superfans" of the series, who already played the originals, but will buy any rerelease or remake. Sounds like what you did for Mario 3D All-Stars (not saying that in a judgey way - it's your money, not mine). There can be value in having a game simly for completeness' sake, or for playing it on the most "modern" system

*sweats in a dozen ports/remakes/remasters of original Final Fantasy 1*