Spell elements

Nope, nope, nope. It didn't really do anything, because mages are generally not very common, either on the player's side or the enemy's. Second, mages generally have high resistance, meaning that other than having one tank magic, there's little purpose to one when the bonuses/penalties wouldn't change anything.

11 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

Nope, nope, nope. It didn't really do anything, because mages are generally not very common, either on the player's side or the enemy's. Second, mages generally have high resistance, meaning that other than having one tank magic, there's little purpose to one when the bonuses/penalties wouldn't change anything.

What if every character had their own elemental resistance/vulnerability?

1 minute ago, Armchair General said:

What if every character had their own elemental resistance/vulnerability?

Or have consumable potions you can buy that grant massive resistance against a single element - more than a pure water raises your res stat. Or heck, instead of buying them, bring back the obscure alchemist class from Fates who can spend his turn dispensing that sort of potion - and it replaces the concept of rallying an adjacent ally's stats. 

I'd say it depends. The Tellius games were kind of neat, in that they gave each magic type effectiveness against certain foes. Mages weren't exactly strong in either game, but it did make the types feel a bit more distinct. If the next game is willing to create substantial distinctions between the magic types, without introducing a hierarchy (cough FE4), then I'd be interested in it. Could be cool to see it linked to the worldbuilding, too - maybe only the "Flame Tribe" can use Fire spells, while the keepers of Wind magic live in a city in the clouds. Jugdral kind of did this (Silesse = Wind, Velthomer = Fire, Friege = Thunder), albeit not super strictly.

i've always loved the Trinity of Magic, so of course i'd love them to bring it back
i agree it doesn't do much when it comes to gameplay depth or balance, but who cares, it's cool IMHO

I really like the magic traingle, so yes please bring it back.

In my own FE D&D system I made the types of magic distinct by giving them certain abilities. Light magic debuffs the opponent's hit and avoid (blind special condition) and gives access to staves. Dark magic grants activated skills like sol and Luna (Nosferatu and Luna tomes). Anima magic has minor effectiveness (MTx2 instead of x3) against affinities; Wind is strong against fliers, fire is strong against beasts (incl horses and pegasi, excl wyverns), and thunder is strong against wyverns, dragons and heavy armor. And then there is the triangle, giving advantage to your rolls, giving dark magic actually a good chance to hit anima users.

That said, I didn't hate the way magic worked in 3H either. But I did miss the triangles.

As all separate ranks? No, magic types have traditionally not been deep enough to warrant separate ranks. I wouldn't go further than GBA splitting, and even then I think there's an argument to group light and dark together under one "spirit magic" category. 3H's reason/faith split is also fine if you like staffs being grouped with something offensive.

Fleshing out the individual elements I'd be down for, but I'm not a fan of blanket effective damage.

22 hours ago, X-Naut said:

As all separate ranks? No, magic types have traditionally not been deep enough to warrant separate ranks. I wouldn't go further than GBA splitting, and even then I think there's an argument to group light and dark together under one "spirit magic" category. 3H's reason/faith split is also fine if you like staffs being grouped with something offensive.

Fleshing out the individual elements I'd be down for, but I'm not a fan of blanket effective damage.

On the spirit magic thing, that term would not really cover it. From the lore of multiple (not all) titles, it's anima that is the spirit magic (nature spirits). Light magic comes from faith, or the gods. Dark magic comes from science.

9 hours ago, whase said:

On the spirit magic thing, that term would not really cover it. From the lore of multiple (not all) titles, it's anima that is the spirit magic (nature spirits). Light magic comes from faith, or the gods. Dark magic comes from science.

When I said "spirit" I meant in the context of the human spirit, as faith and scientific reasoning are both extensions of the mind. Maybe a different word could be used but I don't have one in mind. My point stands though.