Your Gaming Bucket List

Was having a chat with a streamer the other night, and he mentioned having a "bucket list" of games he hopes to play one day. This was mostly built with the intent of categorizing games that he most wants to fit in between larger streaming projects. But I think this concept can apply to a lot of us, for a lot of reasons. Games you haven't played because you just haven't found the time, or it's not available on a system you own, or maybe you're just one of those completionist types who has to play every gosh darned entry of franchise leading up to the one you know you'll love. Whatever the case may be, what would your Bucket List look like? There are dozens, perhaps hundreds of games out there that I fully intend to play some day. But at this moment, I think these are the ones I'd be the most upset about not experiencing if I found myself in hell tomorrow morning.

• Metal Wolf Chaos: Probably the entry with the least good reasons to be here. I was first exposed to this game on a protonjon stream, possibly a decade ago. He turned me on to a lot of bizarre adventures like Deadly Premonition, which I finally got to last year. I now possess a copy of Metal Wolf Chaos XD, just waiting on my shelf. Why haven't I dived in yet? I truly don't know. Maybe I just want everything to be perfect. I need my heart to be ready. Maybe I want to reward myself with this FromSoftware goodness when I've advanced somewhere in my life or career. But I promise I WILL play this game.
  • Silent Hill 2: I grew up with a fascination of the Resident Evil series. After so many years on the internet, I am of course well aware of Silent Hill 2 and its reputation as one of the best survival horror games of all time. But that reputation always  tasted of snobbiness. It was never "this is why Silent Hill 2 is great" but rather "this is why Silent Hill 2 is so much BETTER than other horror games". Why can't we all like what we like? And anyway I didn't much care for silent hill 1 growing up. I revisited it last year, as an adult, and I'm willing to give its sequel a shot. 
  • Fire Emblem: Thracia 776: I've seen a lot of streams of thracia in my day. Mostly of the super long back half maps where the player resets after a bullshit death. But even though I've seen only the worst in this game, it still looks kind of interesting to me? I'm in the middle of a playthrough of FE4 at the moment, so that I can get the full juxtaposition of moving on to Thracia once I'm ready to play it. They are such incredibly different games.
  • Fire Emblem: Super Thracia: I don't especially care for Kaizo ROM hacks. I do like challenging games, but at some point you got to wonder if the meticulous effort that goes into crafting frame tight platforming challenges can't also be spent on genuinely fun levels? I think I'd have a different reaction to a Kaizo Fire Emblem hack though. When Fire Emblem is difficult, it often becomes much more hilarious and interesting. I've heard complaints that the hack isn't really playtested well, but if it was playtested for difficulty, would it even deserve the coveted title of "Thracia"? As for why I haven't played it yet, see the above entry. I think fully appreciating Super Thracia's weirdness requires a thorough lived experience of the original. I promise I'll finish Thracia, but I don't think I can realistically promise I'd beat Super Thracia. That's a huge question mark with the things I've seen.
  • Nier Automata: You ever have that game that all of your friends have recommended you play - to the point where it feels like you're being condescended to? How do YOU know what trash I would love? Well I've heard enough about this one to admit that it probably deserves a spot on this list. I probably haven't played it because those same people stress that I'll have to play it many times to get the most out of it. And I'm very picky about when I should start large gaming projects like that. I rented the first Nier when it came out and didn't like it. Hearing that it has become an Avant Garde franchise in the years since is one of the more bizarre aspects of gaming media I wouldn't have expected from 2010. It's up there with things like : A) Legend of Zelda...Warriors game?, B) Final Fantasy 7 remake...that isn't trash?, C) Bioshock hasn't been relevant in almost TEN years?
  • Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic 2 I played the first one on a whim a couple years back and had a blast. Among older western RPGs it's got easy to grasp mechanics, satisfying role playing moments, and it was the rare moment of my adult life where I was genuinely invested in a Star Wars anything. The sequel has an even grander reputation among enthusiasts, so I owe it to myself to try it some time. 

Allow me to throw in my own two cents regarding this topic. 

• Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn: Currently on a Path of Radiance playthrough and I'm liking that game so far, so I'd like to get Radiant Dawn as well so I can experience both games in the Tellius Duology. Main problem is that Radiant Dawn is also a fair bit pricey (not as bad as PoR, but still expensive), so I'm trying to find I good price for this game, however hard that may be. 
  • Fire Emblem: Awakening: This is the game in the series that revitalized the entire series and allowed more Fire Emblem games to come out afterwards, so I'd like to play through the FE title that saved the series from dying out. 
  • Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia: It's a remake of Fire Emblem: Gaiden and it got released to the West this time around. Plus, I hear it's got full-voice acting for the game too, and that alone sells the game for me. 
  • Metroid Prime 1-3: Out of the titles I've mentioned, this is the only one where I actually own all the games at the current moment that I'm posting this reply (1 and 2: Echoes on GameCube, 3: Corruption on Wii). I've only gotten about an hour into Metroid Prime 1, but I like it so far because its one of the most unique and fun FPS-style games I've ever played. Though I have been more interested in beating some of the more current games that I've bought, so this series is currently in the backlog. Maybe if the rumored remaster of 1 (and by extent, 2 and 3) comes out, then I could probably get back into the series quicker. Nonetheless, it is a series that I'd like to complete before Metroid Prime 4 comes out on the Switch. 
  • Paper Mario: Color Splash (Yes, THAT game...): Count me among the group of people who are too stubborn to ignore a bad game simply because they like the rest of the games in that series too much to pass up even one title (Except Sticker Star, that game just sucks). Asides from being one of the only Wii U titles that Nintendo hasn't ported over to the Switch, it's also a Paper Mario game that I never got to play when it originally released. It may not be as bad as Sticker Star, or not as great as The Origami King (imo) and the rest from what I've seen, but just like Mario & Luigi, it's a series of games that I love to the point where I'd like to have played every title that was made (at least when it comes to the Mario RPGs anyways). 
2 hours ago, Zapp Branniglenn said:

The only thing waiting for any of us is eternal damnation. Happy? Bucket List pls. 

Depends on your personal beliefs and religious alignment, really (not saying that you're eternally doomed from completing the games on your bucket list and that I'm guaranteed immunity btw). I for one would love to have video games in heaven, because we wouldn't even need a bucket list in the first place. My main concern is that if there are indeed video games in heaven, then could we carry over all our progress in all the games we've played, and could we also bring up all the consoles/systems and games we paid for on Earth? 

But let's not deviate too far from the main topic here, which is what people's gaming bucket lists are. That's what this thread should be focusing on. Not a touchy topic like religion in the General Gaming forum.

Edited by CyberZord

Although this list is rather shortsighted...

Judgment and Lost Judgment: Lost Judgment was free for a weekend, and I got to take a look at RGG's most recent game! I made good progress through it and adored my first delve into the Dragon Engine's combat, and the story has been great. I really, really want to come back and finish the game after properly purchasing it, and going through Judgment sounds great as well; I hope to be able to speedrun the Legend difficulty on it at some point. I also would like to see New York Hot Dog and Coffee in HD!

Bloodborne: This game looks so neat. I really wanna play it at some point. Same with Demon's Souls' PS5 remake, but that's a little less urgent for me despite how pretty the latter is.

Ryu Ga Gotoku: Ishin!: Another RGG game I really hope to play! This game seems like it's absolutely incredible: The style of combat is unique amongst RGG's games, the story seems like it is superb, and the bosses look neat-o. Pls localize this game, RGG! Thanks, love ya.

Fates: Conquest: This game is apparently FE's crown jewel for gameplay, so it would be nice to experience it at some point.

Trails in the Sky SC, Trails from Zero and Trails of Cold Steel I: I hope to at least play one game from each sub-series of the Trails series, just to see what it's like across its history; we'll see if it happens, but I do want to end up finishing Sky FC, maaayybe do Sky SC, then proceed from there. Probably won't play Sky 3rd, but maybe I'll end up liking SC. I guess Kuro also exists, but that's getting localized in 2065.

...Which is also probably when I'll finish Sky FC, so maybe it'll work out.

As an aside, I hope to eventually play AI: The Somnium Files although I know nothing about it, as well as finishing Xenoblade Chronicles 2, then playing 3 at some point. Like a Dragon 2 is also absolutely on my watchlist once it releases.

I feel like I am forgetting some games, but meh, I'll add 'em later if I remember.

they're... a lot

Xenogears and the Xenosaga Trilogy
Every Valkyrie Profile game
The whole Metal Gear Solid series
The whole Megami Tensei, Shin Megami Tensei and Persona series
Every FF game I haven't played (i've only played FFI, VI, VII, X and XV)

i'm positive i haven't listed many more, but these are enough for now

Whenever I find myself interested in a game, I tend to go ahead and give them a shot sooner than later. I'm also very erratic when it comes to getting interested in games. I don't often find myself having a massive backlog. I work through two or three games that have piqued my interest, and then I replay stuff while I look for something else. I could count games that haven't come out yet, but it's a safe bet that I'll play Mario XCOM when it does come out. I don't think it's what this thread is supposed to be about.

With all that in mind, the one that comes to mind is Heavy Rain. I've had a long history with this game. First I genuinely thought it was great when I was 13 years old. Then I grew up and I've since been laughing at it and its plethora of massive failures. It's so wrong on so many levels, it may just be The Room of videogames. Only instead of being the innocently incompetent product of a strange man's (perhaps misguided) passion, it's a morally bankrupt, plothole-filled, pretentious, unintentionally hilarious shitshow spearheaded by a man who has gone on record saying "in my games, all women are whores."

Anyway, I'll get to the point. After so many years watching videos of it, plus the one time I got to play it for a little while at a friend's house, at some point I'd like to properly play Heavy Rain myself and see just how hard I can break it. Unfortunately, there is a big problem: I refuse to give Cagey Davey a cent of my money, and I'm not interested enough to purge the internet in search of a pirated copy. So unless they accidentally set the game's price to like 10 cents on a Steam sale, I'll probably never play it. Too bad.

Ah, bucket lists. How I hate them so. Not what's on the list, I just hate the fact that I have a list in the first place.

I find myself playing a lot of different games and slowly making progress in each of them, jumping from one to the other. Is that a bad strategy? Should I dedicate time to one game and finish it before I move on to the next? Yes and yes, I absolutely should. However, I am a fickle minded creature (and a completionist... to an extent), and I wanna play everything (or maybe games don't grab my attention like they used to, or maybe I don't have the time that I used to, I dunno). So while this is still technically a bucket list, this is more of an "in-progress" list. Anyway:

• Final Fantasy VIII - I legitimately haven't touched this game in over a year. I've completed Disc 1, but I haven't come back to it. I don't really know why since I actually liked it. Maybe one day...
  • The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles - I've made it through 4 episodes so far, but haven't touched my Switch in a couple months in favor of playing other games on my PC.
  • Metroid Dread - Same reason as GAA, I'd rather play games I have on PC for now. I also had the issue of jumping between this game and GAA.
  • Final Fantasy X (and X-2, I guess) - I was able to nab this on sale not too long ago, and I recently jumped into it. Of course, since I tend to hop from game to game, this one is probably gonna take me a while.
  • Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night - Again, I got this on sale, and I love Castlevania, so this is right up my alley. Compared to the other games on this list, I don't think this one would take me all that long to beat. Unfortunately, achievements aren't unlocking for it right now on Steam, and I don't know how long it'll be before it's fixed. I'd like to be able to get those while playing this game, but that hasn't really stopped me.
  • Hitman Trilogy (not the OG, the newer ones) - You might be seeing a trend here; I got this on sale yesterday, and I've avoided most things about these games so I could have the chance to play it for myself someday, and that day was!... well, yesterday. There's also loads of stuff to do, so I'll be chipping away at this one for a good long time, probably.

(Dis)Honorable Mentions: The games I've completed, but still have things I wanna do

• Halo: The Master Chief Collection - I've finished all the campaigns, but I'm working on tackling the (doable) achievements.
  • Final Fantasy XV - I still have one post-game dungeon to complete, not to mention I still haven't completed the ability charts and gotten the party to the max level, so I'd like to try and get those done before I put this one to rest.

I'd also love to give Final Fantasy XVI a shot when that comes out, but I don't have a PS5, so rip

23 hours ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

My answer depends on whether there are video games in heaven.

"Video games in heaven" would only make sense if there were gamers in Heaven. The best God can offer us is Purgatory, with a Limbo DLC for those who pre-order.

Anyway, I'll say:

Super Paper Mario. I've had this game for years, but haven't touched it. Which is a shame, since I've heard very good things about it.

Paper Mario: The Origami King. A more divisive one, and one that I've half-beaten. But I really want to go back amd give it a fair shake.

Zero Time Dilemma. I really enjoyed the other Zero Escape titles, but this one slipped through my grasp. Now I can't even find it on the eShop.

Bravely Default. I enjoyed the demo, and this game has my favorite soundtrack of any game I haven't played yet. I should get on that last part.

Ace Attorney Investigations 2. The only one not to make it to the West. And, I've heard, a solid step up from Investigations 1, which I already enjoyed.

Celeste 2. A browser-based sequel to the PICO-8 original. I tried it, and utterly failed at controls, but now that I have a PC-compatible controller, maybe I can git gud?

Earthbound. Another title with high regard, and one I have free access to thanks to SNES online. Not sure if I should play Mother 1 first, though.

Metroid Prime. Another game I've had a long time, but only made token progress into. Should give it another try.

20 hours ago, Benice said:

As an aside, I hope to eventually play AI: The Somnium Files although I know nothing about it

Definitely recommend it. It felt like the intersect of the Zero Escape games with some Ace Attorney sensibilities, plus some other funky elements thrown in. Does it all work, no, but it's still a great story with commanding vocal performances. A word of caution - the Switch version had some lag issues, at least for me, so if you have a more powerful system to buy it for, that may be preferable.

On 5/10/2022 at 11:50 PM, Zapp Branniglenn said:

The only thing waiting for any of us is eternal damnation.

Precisely. Repent now, the Lord wants you well.

3 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

"Video games in heaven" would only make sense if there were gamers in Heaven. The best God can offer us is Purgatory, with a Limbo DLC for those who pre-order.

Kinda hard to blame him when I look at Conquest tbh.