Character Trailers (Current: Leicester Alliance)

Questions of a Polling Nature  

22 members have voted

1. 1. You, me, Golden Deer, we could be great together...

• Claude
    • Lorenz
    • Hilda
    • Raphael
    • Lysithea
    • Ignatz
    • Marianne
    • Leonie
  2. 2. Favourite Eagle personal skill?

• Ablaze Status Attacks (Edelgard)
    • Detonatable Dark Spikes (Hubert)
    • Elemental Music Orbs (Dorothea)
    • On-Hit Attack Speed+ (Ferdinand)
    • Icy Enclosing Zone (Bernadetta)
    • Range/Might+ Charge Attacks (Caspar)
    • Wind Dodge Attack (Petra)
    • Wind Satellite Orbs (Linhardt)
  3. 3. Three Realms. Three Fates. Your Story...

• Scarlet Blaze (Empire)
    • Azure Gleam (Kingdom)
    • Golden Wildfire (Alliance)
    • (...surely they're hiding another route somewhere...?)
  4. 4. Favourite Deer personal skill?

• Shredded Status Attacks (Claude)
    • Rose Petal Gauge (Lorenz)
    • Thunder Attraction Charging (Hilda)
    • Chargeable Normal Attacks (Raphael)
    • Heartseeker / Knockback Explosions (Lysithea)
    • Knockback Elemental Paint (Ignatz)
    • Hit+ Snowball Rain (Marianne)
    • Standard Combination Pursuit (Leonie)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/10/2022 at 02:00 PM

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Updated the polls as well, sorry I didn't save the old one's results, oops. (IIRC Annette / Felix / Mercedes were the top three, and no-one was keen to use Ingrid).

Most of these designs feel kinda safe?  Bernie's topknot looking like this is... not quite what I would've expected, but it does lend to designs being closer to 1180 than 1185 (mainly out of the topknot being more of a rush job for Bernie's hair). Petra definitely a solid winner here.

I'll come back with trailer / music thoughts once I've had time to comb through it all.

Characters to the side for a moment, can we acknowledge just how awesome the music is? 😄

I love that, more similar to Age of Calamity, it won't just be all rock, but will also feature music more fitting with Three Houses style.

Okay, thoughts on the trailers:

It looks like every house will have its own little theme/leitmotif again, or at least there will be different versions of Edge of Dawn. I like this!

Fanart artists are truly a different breed. They accurate assumed and extrapolated Bernie's design and hairstyle based off of sprites that weren't really in focus and context clues. That's incredible. 

Monica doesn't show up, which isn't surprising but it is a little disappointing. Granted, I'd be upset of Monaica and/or Count Bergliez showed up here and we got the mysterious Almyran in the GD trailer, and the Blue Lions had no newly announced characters. To be honest, I'm still a little worried about that. Right now, the BE (no split confirmed) have two presumed NPCs and one confirmable character to their name in the assumed Count Bergliez, Randolph, and Monica. The GD have two presumed NPCs to their name in Holst and Judith. The Blue Lions can't even assume Rodrigue anymore due to Felix's outfit looking similar and the lighting from the extending hand and Felix's cutscene being similar. But I'm getting off-track and distracted. 

The voiced over dialogue is interesting. I'm not sure how to feel about it just yet. It's probably used from another part of the game, but it also makes me feel like there may be canon or developer-pushed pairings. That's not a problem, since nearly every FE game has a pairing or two like that. I'm worried that Warriors will make that exclusively the case, and that's something I really don't want. I'm not a fan of Ingrid/Sylvain at all, and so any pairing of them annoys me. THAT BEING SAID, I'm happy Bernie and Dorothea may have more dialogue! 

Onto the designs themselves: 

Edelgard - Already covered 

Hubert - Already covered

Dorothea - I like her design, but she falls into the category of "consistently good," so it's hard to feel strongly one way or another

Ferdinand - He feels like a true middle-ground between his Three Houses designs, and the hair length really suits him. 

Bernadetta - Mostly talked about above, but I agree with others  - this design wouldn't really work if it was for anyone OTHER than Bernie. 

Caspar - Our boy Caspar went from having one of the biggest glow-ups in Three Houses to having one of the most hilarious glow-downs in Three Hopes. This design is awful to me, and I love it because of that. THAT BEING SAID, the scratched armor and scar on his face fit perfectly with his character. 

Petra - I'm not a fan of the head covering, but I like the braids. I think it's three braids, but someone please correct me if I'm wrong!

Linhardt - The best of the new designs because the ponytail works for him far better than it does in his other designs. 

I love how Caspar went "If Felix can have an extra sword, I can have extra gloves!"

Kinda disappointed by the lack of Monica and Jeritza. It was expected, but the lack of confirmation on the latter hurts me lmao.

4 minutes ago, Sbuscoz said:

I love how Caspar went "If Felix can have an extra sword, I can have extra gloves!"

Kinda disappointed by the lack of Monica and Jeritza. It was expected, but the lack of confirmation on the latter hurts me lmao.

I hear you. I really want to play Jeritza. But I can also see why they'd hold back on revealing him in a trailer, because spoilers abound.

19 minutes ago, Use the Falchion said:

Monica doesn't show up, which isn't surprising but it is a little disappointing. Granted, I'd be upset of Monaica and/or Count Bergliez showed up here and we got the mysterious Almyran in the GD trailer, and the Blue Lions had no newly announced characters. To be honest, I'm still a little worried about that. Right now, the BE (no split confirmed) have two presumed NPCs and one confirmable character to their name in the assumed Count Bergliez, Randolph, and Monica. The GD have two presumed NPCs to their name in Holst and Judith. The Blue Lions can't even assume Rodrigue anymore due to Felix's outfit looking similar and the lighting from the extending hand and Felix's cutscene being similar. But I'm getting off-track and distracted. 

Maybe Gilbert would be their equivalent to count Bergliez and Holst? 

Just now, Fabulously Olivier said:

There's also Rodrigue, Gwendal, and Margrave Gautier as major power players for the Kingdom.

Gwendel's more of a retainer than a player in his own right. Seeing Sylvain's dad would be interesting, especially if he's the jackass that Miklan's disinheritance implies he is. 

Is it just me or do some of their voices sound a bit off/diffrent in this trailer. Like Edelgard when she says her imperial forces line and Ferdinand when he says his signature line both sounded a little off to me at first.

Not a fan of Bernie's new hairstyle at all. Caspar I am mixed on liking or disliking.  Doretha and Petra I like probably the most for students so far other maybe the hair net thing Petra has.  Lindhart and Ferdinand  are simple changes I have no issue with. I do like Edelgard and Huberts new design alot too.

Edited by vikingsfan92

Just now, vikingsfan92 said:

Is it just me or do some of their voices sound a bit off/diffrent in this trailer. Like Edelgard when she says her imperial forces line and Ferdinand when he says his signature line both sounded a little off to me at first.

Not a fan of Bernie's new hairstyle at all. Caspar I am mixed on liking or disliking.  Doretha and Petra I like 0robably theost for students so far other maybe the hair net thing Petra has.  Lindhart and Ferdinand  are simple changes I have no issue with. I do like Edelgard and Huberts new design alot too.

Can we get a confirmation that Ferdinand is still voiced by Billy Kametz after his stage 4 cancer diagnosis?

Just now, Fabulously Olivier said:

Can we get a confirmation that Ferdinand is still voiced by Billy Kametz after his stage 4 cancer diagnosis?

I think it did sound like him after that but I don't know what it is sounded a bit off. I think it is probably how the trailer was set up more than a voice acting change or anything. But I do think it is possible that Billy sounds slightly diffrent now a days with cancer treatments but I do think three hopes was likely recorded a while a go so he probably was fine for this particular project.

One of the most significant aspects of the trailer is the revelation that we won't be having an attack of the clones.

Bernie doesn't seem to play as Ashe which implies Ignatz also won't
Petra doesn't play like Felix
Linhardt doesn't play like Mercedes
Etcetera

Its a good sign. It also implies the budget for this game is pretty decent.

Monica not appearing here is a good sign in my opinion. It either means we definitely have another trailer, or they’re holding back showing off characters, which bodes well either way.

I definitely think we’ll get a Church trailer after Golden Deer next week, then beyond that I’m not sure. I would love an Ashen Wolves trailer, especially if they add new characters, but I could see them being in a trailer of miscellaneous characters that includes Monica. If they want a few more new characters, they could have an heir to House Kleiman to have some interesting interactions with Dedue, a Sreng character for interactions with Sylvain, and an Albinean character, to name a few.

So far I’ve liked all the designs. Unpopular opinion but I really like Caspar’s design, but it’s probably just bias since I love him so much. Ferdie is also the perfect middle ground between the two designs I think.

Just now, TheCraigadile said:

If they want a few more new characters, they could have an heir to House Kleiman to have some interesting interactions with Dedue, a Sreng character for interactions with Sylvain, and an Albinean character, to name a few.

Yeah, Kleiman being absent despite him being the main architect of all of Dimitri and friend's trauma was always really weak. Its a wrong this game should really make right.

3 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

One of the most significant aspects of the trailer is the revelation that we won't be having an attack of the clones.

Etcetera

Its a good sign. It also implies the budget for this game is pretty decent.

Well, on the potentially negative side, it may hint at a smaller roster than we would hope for.

An early press release from Koei (before the Feb 9th reveal) stated that they had multiple major unannounced games in the works, including one that has been in the works for years. I initially thought that would have been something they've been talking about for a long time, like Star Wars Warriors, but it seems more and more like this is their big, ambitious game.

2 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Yeah, Kleiman being absent despite him being the main architect of all of Dimitri and friend's trauma was always really weak. Its a wrong this game should really make right.

Yes I always found it odd. I think having an heir of Kleiman who was a similar age to Dimitri when the Tragedy of Duscur occurred would be an interesting dynamic, and have him grow to realise his future region was gotten through a genocide after having a fairly privileged life would be good. Would make for good supports anyway imo.

54 minutes ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

I hear you. I really want to play Jeritza. But I can also see why they'd hold back on revealing him in a trailer, because spoilers abound.

Yeah, I get it. Though I wonder about what they'll do with Count Bergliez and Holst... Will they make a trailer with them if they are playable? It'd be kinda silly to have them as a "surprise" when they have already appeared in a trailer.

14 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Etcetera

I wouldn't be so sure about that, by focusing on their specials they can get away with not showing so much about the normal movesets.

Aside from the "shooting like crazy and then crouching when the arrows fall" special, we see Bernie shooting an arrow while doing a backflip, which isn't something particularly unique.

Petra was never going to have Felix moveset, she is an assassin (or a dragon rider), not a swordmaster.

Aside from his specials, Linhardt only does a normal "weak" combo, while we see Mercedes doing strong attacks.

I'm not saying that it's impossible that they actually have unique movesets, just that... we should be prepared for disappointment. XD

2 minutes ago, Sbuscoz said:

Yeah, I get it. Though I wonder about what they'll do with Count Bergliez and Holst... Will they make a trailer with them if they are playable? It'd be kinda silly to have them as a "surprise" when they have already appeared in a trailer.

I wouldn't be so sure about that, by focusing on their specials they can get away with not showing so much about the normal movesets.

Aside from the "shooting like crazy and then crouching when the arrows fall" special, we see Bernie shooting an arrow while doing a backflip, which isn't something particularly unique.

Petra was never going to have Felix moveset, she is an assassin (or a dragon rider), not a swordmaster.

Aside from his specials, Linhardt only does a normal "weak" combo, while we see Mercedes doing strong attacks.

I'm not saying that it's impossible that they actually have unique movesets, just that... we should be prepared for disappointment. XD

Just having them playable would be a surprise. Though I could easily see them being dlc.

Thing is though, if Holst isn't playable, who else is going to rock the Hero moveset? The class is too iconic to leave out, but it is no one's canon class.

Edited by Fabulously Olivier

2 hours ago, Sentinel07 said:

Characters to the side for a moment, can we acknowledge just how awesome the music is? 😄

I love that, more similar to Age of Calamity, it won't just be all rock, but will also feature music more fitting with Three Houses style.

If only they weren't so difficult to find their source track inspirations... D8

===

Before I get to analysis, if we go by the 3H character website order and noting how the 'left hands' of the leaders (Felix and Ferdinand) are the midway markers - I'd expect the Deer trailer order to be: Claude, Hilda, Raphael, Lysithea, Lorenz, Ignatz, Marianne, Leonie.

===

Gameplay wise:

- Edelgard threw her shield!! Nothing else super exciting other than some teleporting during her musou.

- Hubert's dark spike personal has embedded quite a lot of enemies here, and some appear a bit... larger than others? The detonation AOE is terrifying to face, lol

- Dorothea seems to have a similar leadup to her Thoron C...not sure if 3 or 4 but overall seems to be similar to Annette's string prior to her not-Bolganone, but you can feel that Dorothea seems to fire Thoron faster (does Dorothea have higher Spd bases vs Annette while both are Mages?). In comparison to the Robin/Tharja C4 it seems to be an instantaneous shot. (The question here is: do characters actually get different Charge attacks dependent on their base game spell list, or is this simply a different charge attack in the sequence?) The music note attack that follows looks like a musou. The large orb looks very similar to N7 from Robin/Tharja. Meteor finish is probably still part of the same musou given her music orbs just before the summoning of the meteors. Also her magic summoning circles have no crest in the centre (not that she'd have them), which matches base 3H but differs from Annette.

- Bernadetta's personal actually looks like an Encloser effect, the enemies are frozen around her. Her flip jump attack is the same as Claude's from the February trailer, and since it follows Ashe's turn-slash standard attack (which could be N3 or N4, leaning towards the latter) this would make it C4 or C5. I think this is probably a soft confirmation of Archer's standard attack strings and probably a fair few charge attacks being innate to anyone in the class. I think her panicked firing is the middle of the musou, with her cowering pose and then crouching as the arrow rain murders the enemy the opening and closing parts of said musou. (Also, she's screaming in fear at the end there; poor Bernie...)

- I am Ferdinand von Aegir indeed. A few significant things to note here: (1) he seems to have something akin to Felix's dodge instinct afterimage, but how this applies to him isn't clear at the moment (recall his 3H personal as a hit/avoid boost at full health, though I doubt pigeoning the HP condition in a musou personal skill is all that fair tbh); (2) even if we consider the dodge dash N1 stab, he has a very different N2 to Sylvain (a double horizontal slash compared with Sylvain's heavy vertical slash), which then leads into a stab charge C3. I'm not sure what to make of this; whether it suggests Sylvain might prefer going down Great Knight (I don't think Ferdinand's dextrous strikes fit Great Knight very well), if the Lance of Ruin has its own standard attack string, the supposed N2 is actually a dashing specific N2, a combat art is in play, or if it's just that Sylvain and Ferdinand play differently in their standard attack strings, any of these outcomes suggests we don't know enough and that some movesets could have quite some variation (if this wasn't already evident comparing Dorothea with Annette). Ferdie's horse seems more athletic than Sylvain's at least going by the musou opener (which closes his segment; his opener is the end of same musou, lol). Also, I swear it took me a few replays, but Ferdie actually promoted to Holy Knight?! (refer to the hindquarter shields on his steed; Cavalier has round shields, Paladin has inverted teardrop shaped ones)

- We don't get a look at Caspar doing any standard attack here, so nothing to compare against Hilda. The light effect spin attack seems like it could be the Lissa C3 counterpart but less clumsy; is light because of justice perhaps? He seems to want to channel his inner hedgehog as well with his musou opener doing a midair spin slam. Also why do you have gauntlets on your waist but then don't use them when actually punching past your enemies?

- Petra as an assassin / thief is inspired and holds her grip not too dissimilarly to Olivia of all characters, and I think she's a bit more inspired by that moveset over any of the other sword movesets in FEW. I'm not 100% sure if her forward spin attack is definitely a charge attack (though pretty confident), but it certainly isn't Lyn/Navarre C5 - visually and functionally it kinda feels more like Olivia N6 but as a charge attack. Her dodge actually allows her to deal some damage while dashing, and I think we see an N1-N3 string which shares its first two strikes with the overall flow of Olivia's. She uses a bow in her musou closing shot. And yes it does look like she has triple braids.

- Linhardt, why are you lugging a giant scholastic tome on you, why do you carry a second one to attack with, and why are you clipping the attack tome into the other one during your musou? xD I think he may actually be using the earlier attacks in his standard attack string, as he makes a similar pose to Mercedes during his N5 (though the lighting effects feel different, and his attack speed feels slower). Reviewing Mercedes' clip, this would imply she continues to N7 (forward book pose), which would give her a C8 for her rising light rain??? Linhardt N5 also has a wind impact on hit and Linhardt himself gets a windy effect on himself as the move concludes, which seems to tie into his personal as it then appears in his later standard attack string with satellite wind energy next to him. (Light orbs already have a weird green tinge to them which is seen briefly in Mercedes' trailer.) C4 is the giant light burst after Linhardt does a 720 anticlockwise pirouette. Musou gonna musou, but like with Annette (and unlike Dorothea) you can see the Crest of Cethleann in his magic summoning circles.

===

Music wise, the very opening bit before we go into Edge of Dawn Remix #3 feels inspired by part of Tempest of Seasons. The second half has an interesting take on Chasing Daybreak's melodic shapes, but the opening I can't really pin down.

===

Voice wise, I think this was just suboptimal voice direction given to Tara for Edelgard - it's trying to sound a bit too close to academy age although plenty of other clips have her voice closer to war pitch. Ferdinand still sounds like Billy for me.

Edited by tipperthescales

14 minutes ago, tipperthescales said:

[re Ferdinand]...even if we consider the dodge dash N1 stab, he has a very different N2 to Sylvain (a double horizontal slash compared with Sylvain's heavy vertical slash), which then leads into a stab charge C3. I'm not sure what to make of this; whether it suggests Sylvain might prefer going down Great Knight (I don't think Ferdinand's dextrous strikes fit Great Knight very well), if the Lance of Ruin has its own standard attack string, the supposed N2 is actually a dashing specific N2, a combat art is in play, or if it's just that Sylvain and Ferdinand play differently in their standard attack strings, any of these outcomes suggests we don't know enough and that some movesets could have quite some variation (if this wasn't already evident comparing Dorothea with Annette). Ferdie's horse seems more athletic than Sylvain's at least going by the musou opener (which closes his segment; his opener is the end of same musou, lol).

15 minutes ago, tipperthescales said:

Also, I swear it took me a few replays, but Ferdie actually promoted to Holy Knight?! (refer to the hindquarter shields on his steed; Cavalier has round shields, Paladin has inverted teardrop shaped ones)

In retrospect, this would make perfect sense, as Ferdinand is using the Holy Knight moveset in the clip with his C3, and NOT Cavalier.

Intriguing indeed...

26 minutes ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

So with the characters not being clones, what even are the generic movesets for class swapping? Am I to believe that they literally made generic versions of every class moveset, not used by anyone unless you class swap?

Maybe those generic movesets are a baseline that steadily get altered depending on personal class? They kind of HAVE to have generic stuff if they want to make reclassing work.

So, what are everyone's favorite movesets so far? Mine are:

Hubert - like Roy Mustang going through a goth phase.

Ferdinand - I was a Xander main in FEW. And this is making my brain tingle.

Linhardt - he's my favorite 3H character, aside from maybe Hapi. So I am very happy to see that he looks fun.

Felix - I AM THE STORM THAT IS APPROOOOOACHING!!!

Dimitri - I'll at least have one infantry lancer, god damnit.