Special Heroes: Bridal Blossoms

Okay, I have to admit that I genuinely enjoyed the story for this banner, even if only out of amusement.

• Bringing Shanna back to emphasize that this is the banner of Roy the Pimp Lord
  • Lampshading Sue's absence because that's not how they do things in Sacae
  • Larum being blatantly thirsty while Lilina is just pining
  • Roy the Pimp Lord completely circumventing everyone's expectations by giving Eliwood the bouquet for his wife that totally isn't Ninian, we swear

About the only thing missing was some sort of reference to Hector being his overprotective self, possibly with Lyn and/or Matthew trying to keep him calm.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, KMT4ever said:

Okay, I have to admit that I genuinely enjoyed the story for this banner, even if only out of amusement.

Yeah, I didn't expect them to explicitly write a story about the "Roy's harem" thing, so that caught me off-guard hard too xD

8 hours ago, KMT4ever said:

Lampshading Sue's absence because that's not how they do things in Sacae

Same; it was nice to have that given so many people were complaining that she wasn't around for it but Cecilia was...

Speaking of, Cecilia hinting that she was also interested in Roy was a bit... hmm.

17 hours ago, KMT4ever said:

About the only thing missing was some sort of reference to Hector being his overprotective self, possibly with Lyn and/or Matthew trying to keep him calm.

You mean like when Eliwood (or Cicilia -- can't remember which) told Lilina that (s)he's sure Hector thinks her dress looks nice (or whatever it was)? (His absence is explained pretty easily: he can't even think about Lilina participating in this event without crying his eyes out, so he can't attend.)

Hmm... Just a thought because of how written English works, Roy's mom is named Mother (with a capital M) since that is how he referred her, while Cecilia just referred to her as Roy's mother (with a lowercase M), so it is possible that the canon mother is not Lyn, Ninian, or Florina, but the fourth unnamed woman, and that unnamed woman is called Mother.

2 hours ago, XRay said:

Hmm... Just a thought because of how written English works, Roy's mom is named Mother (with a capital M) since that is how he referred her, while Cecilia just referred to her as Roy's mother (with a lowercase M), so it is possible that the canon mother is not Lyn, Ninian, or Florina, but the fourth unnamed woman, and that unnamed woman is called Mother.

I don't think it's unusual for people to capitalize terms like that as if they were names.

3 hours ago, XRay said:

1 hour ago, Othin said:

I don't think it's unusual for people to capitalize terms like that as if they were names.

In English, it is flat-out incorrect to not capitalize titles that are used as if they were names.

• When I got home, Dad was already asleep.
  • When I got home, my dad was already asleep.
  • Good morning, Doctor.
  • The doctor will see you now.

2 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

In English, it is flat-out incorrect to not capitalize titles that are used as if they were names.

• When I got home, Dad was already asleep.
  • When I got home, my dad was already asleep.
  • Good morning, Doctor.
  • The doctor will see you now.

I learned something new today.

So if I and Ice Dragon are arguing, I would call him Know It All and he would call me Smarty Pants. But if we are not referring to each other directly, then we would describe each other as a know it all or smarty pants?

If I am talking to Plumeria, I would say "Hello, Babe." And she would reply with "Yes, Pervert?" And Peony would respond with "Stop being rude, Meanie." On the other hand, if we are saying things another way, it would be "Plumeria is a babe," "XRay is a perv," and "Plumeria is a meanie."

Roy and Lilina would greet each other with "Hi, Love" and "Yes, Love." But they would say "You are my love."

Are all that right?

32 minutes ago, XRay said:

So if I and Ice Dragon are arguing, I would call him Know It All and he would call me Smarty Pants. But if we are not referring to each other directly, then we would describe each other as a know it all or smarty pants?

If I am talking to Plumeria, I would say "Hello, Babe." And she would reply with "Yes, Pervert?" And Peony would respond with "Stop being rude, Meanie." On the other hand, if we are saying things another way, it would be "Plumeria is a babe," "XRay is a perv," and "Plumeria is a meanie."

Roy and Lilina would greet each other with "Hi, Love" and "Yes, Love." But they would say "You are my love."

Are all that right?

These are... oddly specific examples but yeah that sounds about right.

3 hours ago, Xenomata said:

These are... oddly specific examples but yeah that sounds about right.

I tried to think of fun titles, but I ran out of ideas related to the current Focus and story so I just went with something basic.

5 hours ago, XRay said:

Are all that right?

Direct addresses are a bit of a muddy area because you can address people by words that aren't actually used as names. (As a correction, it really should be "as a name" instead of my previous post's "as if it were a name", which is a bit too broad.)

The case of "dad" above should be capitalized because it is used as the person's actual name. As a general rule, if you would normally use the word as a name outside of a direct address, it counts as a name. For example, if you would normally actually say the sentence, "When I got home, Meanie was already asleep," then you'd capitalize "meanie" in a direct address, but if you wouldn't normally refer to them in that way in a sentence, then you wouldn't capitalize "meanie" in a direct address.

Courtesy titles (e.g. "mister") and professional titles (e.g. "doctor"), i.e. titles that go in front of a name, behave a bit differently. They should be capitalized if they are functionally a shortening of the person's name with the title attached (e.g. "Doctor Smith"). For example, even though "sir" is a courtesy title, it shouldn't be capitalized if it isn't used specifically as a courtesy title, such as in "Yes, sir."

So even though you typically wouldn't say, "When I got home, Doctor was already asleep," you would still say, "When I got home, Doctor Smith was already asleep," and so it should still be capitalized in a direct address.

"Reverend" is a weird case because even though it is a professional title, it is typically worded as "the reverend" when used in a sentence as a title. I honestly have no idea how this one is capitalized. (As a direct address, it's used without the "the" and should be capitalized. It's just a weird case of whether it should be capitalized in the middle of a sentence that I have no clue.)

At least, this is how I was taught. I would go take a look at an actual style guide, but I don't have one here with me (I have Warriner's at my parents' house, though).

Edited by Ice Dragon
"Reverend" is weird.

10 hours ago, XRay said:

Are all that right?

I don't think I've ever seen pet names or expressions of affection capitalised like that. It's formal address and honorifics that are capitalised, according to my style guide (and my gut feeling, which has rarely failed me) so things like "Mother", "Uncle", "Your Majesty", "His Holiness", "Madam President", "Professor" and, yes, "Reverend".

And a specific point: when Plumeria calls you "pervert", she isn't saying that the name she knows for you is "Pervert", she's just calling you a pervert (probably because she knows what kind of dreams you have about her...). It wouldn't make sense to me to capitalise that. It's not even a pet name; she's just insulting you.

1 hour ago, Seafarer said:

I don't think I've ever seen pet names or expressions of affection capitalised like that. It's formal address and honorifics that are capitalised, according to my style guide (and my gut feeling, which has rarely failed me) so things like "Mother", "Uncle", "Your Majesty", "His Holiness", "Madam President", "Professor" and, yes, "Reverend".

And a specific point: when Plumeria calls you "pervert", she isn't saying that the name she knows for you is "Pervert", she's just calling you a pervert (probably because she knows what kind of dreams you have about her...). It wouldn't make sense to me to capitalise that. It's not even a pet name; she's just insulting you.

Hm... Now that just makes me more curious and a bit confused. So the Álfar conversation should be like: "Hello, babe," "Yes, perv," and "Stop being rude, meanie?"

What if a person is using honorifics to mock a person? Would it be: "Hello, Miss Babe," "Yes, Mister Perv," and "Stop being rude, Miss Meanie?" So if these are nicknames, these capitalization would be correct, but if these are general insults, then these are wrong? Or would it be "Hello, Miss babe," "Yes, Mister perv," and "Stop being rude, Miss meanie?" (This seems the least likely, but I just want to be sure.)

If Ninian tells Roy to play nice with manaketes, Roy would respond with "Yes, Mother." If Lilina tells Roy to take out the trash, is Roy going to retort with "Yes, Mother" in this case too since he is addressing his wife as if she were his mother in a mocking way? But if Roy is just comparing Lilina to mothers in general, then he would retort with just "Yes, mother?"

Edited by XRay

20 hours ago, XRay said:

Hm... Now that just makes me more curious and a bit confused. So the Álfar conversation should be like: "Hello, babe," "Yes, perv," and "Stop being rude, meanie?"

What if a person is using honorifics to mock a person? Would it be: "Hello, Miss Babe," "Yes, Mister Perv," and "Stop being rude, Miss Meanie?" So if these are nicknames, these capitalization would be correct, but if these are general insults, then these are wrong? Or would it be "Hello, Miss babe," "Yes, Mister perv," and "Stop being rude, Miss meanie?" (This seems the least likely, but I just want to be sure.)

If Ninian tells Roy to play nice with manaketes, Roy would respond with "Yes, Mother." If Lilina tells Roy to take out the trash, is Roy going to retort with "Yes, Mother" in this case too since he is addressing his wife as if she were his mother in a mocking way? But if Roy is just comparing Lilina to mothers in general, then he would retort with just "Yes, mother?"

There's a point at which the line becomes so blurry that there's no way to have a good hard rule, and you just have to defer to your gut feeling or a company style guide (if applicable in the context). For example, I was thinking about it, and I'm not sure whether I would capitalise a girl calling her brother "Big Brother" or not. I think it would really depend on the context of the phrase. My style guide advises using a down style as much as possible (meaning minimise use of capital letters).

For what little it's worth, I would never call anyone "Miss Babe" -  it just sounds wrong to me. "Miss", yes. "Babe", sure. Both? Nope nope nope nope nope. I'd go with "Mister Pervert" though, probably, in the given context.

Anyway, if you want more advice on the finer points of English grammar, you can PM me. I'm happy to discuss it with anyone. Perfection isn't really necessary on an internet forum, though; this is hardly a formal writing context. 😛