Radiant Dawn drought.

FailWood

Radiant Dawn has by far the longest drought of any game of getting a dedicated New Heroes banner, with the last one being over 3 years ago.  It's gotten a seasonal banner and base versions of a few characters since then (most recent one was Pelleas), but it's mostly been alts (mainly Micaiah and Nailah) or Path of Radiance banners for Tellius.  What do you all think of this?

Edited by FailWood

To list off everyone who's left:

Not in at all:

Edward, Leonardo, Nolan, Laura, Aran, Meg, Volug, Fiona, Heather, Danved (different character then Devdan), Nealuchi (wasn't playable in Path of Radiance so I'm counting him here),  Renning, Skirmir, and Gareth (same reason as Nealuchi).

Missing their base version:

Rafiel, Vika, Kyza, Lyre, Sephiran/Lehran, and Kurthnaga.

Grand Hero Battle Candidates:

Jarod, Ludveck, Valtome, Lekain, Dheginsea (you don't fight him in Path of Radiance so I'm counting him here), and Izuka (same reason as Dheginsea).

It's strange that this game hasn't gotten much. I guess the excuse is that a majority of the game's beast units come from here. It would be funny that when they get around to giving this game another banner characters like Meg and Fiona are actually competent. I guess Meg can just be some Save Fodder and Fiona another Lance Cavalier with some non-seasonal seasonal weapon.

It seems like it's sharing a Tellius slot in the rotation with Path of Radiance, which has gone to Radiance for the past few years. Personally I think that's a bit odd, since Tellius really could use more attention and I expected them to alternate like FE4's generations. So I'm guessing it'll return around the end of Book 6, but I'd prefer giving it its own slot in the meantime.

For most units I don't think its too much of a problem. They share their roster with POR and they still get banners. So normally it would be fine, but I do think FEH has a bit of a lack of interest to the fe10 exclusive cast. Pelleas is a pretty major character, but it was years till he came around. The dawn Brigade isn't even in yet at all.

Maybe they feel they don't have a 'big hitter' unit. If thats the case then perhaps it wasn't the smartest idea to cram every single Laguz royal in two banners. All of them could work as a banner star, but maybe they don't feel the weaker units could carry a banner.

19 hours ago, LoneStar said:

It's strange that this game hasn't gotten much. I guess the excuse is that a majority of the game's beast units come from here. It would be funny that when they get around to giving this game another banner characters like Meg and Fiona are actually competent. I guess Meg can just be some Save Fodder and Fiona another Lance Cavalier with some non-seasonal seasonal weapon.

I made a thread about that once, how the unpopular characters would get into Heroes last with broken effects due to power creep. Can't remember the title now but some people had funny suggestions (while others accurately predicted ascended heroes would be a thing).

46 minutes ago, Sasori said:

For most units I don't think its too much of a problem. They share their roster with POR and they still get banners. So normally it would be fine, but I do think FEH has a bit of a lack of interest to the fe10 exclusive cast. Pelleas is a pretty major character, but it was years till he came around. The dawn Brigade isn't even in yet at all.

Maybe they feel they don't have a 'big hitter' unit. If thats the case then perhaps it wasn't the smartest idea to cram every single Laguz royal in two banners. All of them could work as a banner star, but maybe they don't feel the weaker units could carry a banner.

They still haven't touched the Dragon Laguz yet though (outside of seasonals), which I feel they'll have to soon since they're some of the only regular Dragon units left in the series.

Edited by Jotari

4 hours ago, Sasori said:

The dawn Brigade isn't even in yet at all.

3 hours ago, Jotari said:

They still haven't touched the Dragon Laguz yet though (outside of seasonals), which I feel they'll have to soon since they're some of the only regular Dragon units left in the series.

If Radiant Dawn were to get a new banner, I'd much prefer it being a Dawn Brigade banner and not another Laguz banner.  Laguz units have gotten a decent amount of seasonal slots since they were added to FEH, while a Dawn Brigade banner would be easy to do.  Edward, Leonardo, and Nolan each have their own Prf weapons, and if they still wanted to do an Ascended unit, they have Sothe.

2 minutes ago, FailWood said:

If Radiant Dawn were to get a new banner, I'd much prefer it being a Dawn Brigade banner and not another Laguz banner.  Laguz units have gotten a decent amount of seasonal slots since they were added to FEH, while a Dawn Brigade banner would be easy to do.  Edward, Leonardo, and Nolan each have their own Prf weapons, and if they still wanted to do an Ascended unit, they have Sothe.

One of Leonardo/Nolan will have be booted off the banner to make space for Laura/Meg/Fiona tho. Otherwise no female character on the banner itself which has never happened.

49 minutes ago, GrandeRampel said:

One of Leonardo/Nolan will have be booted off the banner to make space for Laura/Meg/Fiona tho. Otherwise no female character on the banner itself which has never happened.

They could do Ascended Ilyana alongside Edward/Nolan/Leonardo, especially since Sothe seems like a strong legendary candidate.

2 hours ago, GrandeRampel said:

Even though they've done 5 female only banners, but knowing them you're likely right.

3 hours ago, GrandeRampel said:

Meh, Grand Hero Battle Nolan, makes about as much sense as Panne. Either that or have Leo/Nolan/Edward and ditch Sothe for Ascended Jill or something.

49 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Meh, Grand Hero Battle Nolan

And have another Axe Infantry grail unit?  No thanks.  Jarod would be better because of the lack of Lance Infantry units as grail options.

55 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Either that or have Leo/Nolan/Edward and ditch Sothe for Ascended Jill or something.

Wooo, I didn't think about that but Ascended Jill would be breathtaking. Now I'll be extremely disappointed when she doesn't happen.

21 minutes ago, FailWood said:

And have another Axe Infantry grail unit?  No thanks.  Jarod would be better because of the lack of Lance Infantry units as grail options.

I agree, he would be better, I wasn't being entirely serious. Though I was sort of serious about the Jill thing.

Once again, it goes back to this game's #1 priority: Making Money. And in order to make money, the best solution is to promote the games that are the most familiar to the audience including the international ones, which are the ones after Awakening, since Awakening is the game that saved the franchise and brought it to be a Nintendo Staple; AKA Awakening, Fates, and Three Houses. 

2 hours ago, Jotari said:

I agree, he would be better, I wasn't being entirely serious. Though I was sort of serious about the Jill thing.

28 minutes ago, Othin said:

Jill/Edward/Nolan/Leonardo banner plus Jarod GHB sounds lovely.

It makes no difference to me who would get the Resplendent slot.  I mentioned Sothe because he's also a Dawn Brigade member, and part of me doubts that he'll get a Legendary even though he fits the bill for one.  Jill fits for a Resplendent because of her character growth in Path of Radiance despite not being plot important.

Edward/Leonardo/Nolan are the main ones I care about, and still think Jarod would be a good GHB unit.  Can respect how he held nothing back as a villain.

Edited by FailWood

34 minutes ago, ZeManaphy said:

Once again, it goes back to this game's #1 priority: Making Money. And in order to make money, the best solution is to promote the games that are the most familiar to the audience including the international ones, which are the ones after Awakening, since Awakening is the game that saved the franchise and brought it to be a Nintendo Staple; AKA Awakening, Fates, and Three Houses. 

That used to be true, but they've pulled way back on that approach. Awakening and Fates got a ton of attention early on and that burned through a lot of the playerbase's interest in them, then Three Houses followed a similar pattern later. In recent years, Fates has been getting New Heroes banners at the same once-per-cycle rate as most other games, even Thracia, and Awakening has been getting less than that.

19 hours ago, Othin said:

That used to be true, but they've pulled way back on that approach. Awakening and Fates got a ton of attention early on and that burned through a lot of the playerbase's interest in them, then Three Houses followed a similar pattern later. In recent years, Fates has been getting New Heroes banners at the same once-per-cycle rate as most other games, even Thracia, and Awakening has been getting less than that.

They didn't just burn through the audience's interest, they burned through a lot of the potential units. Awakening has like four banners left in total before alts or minor bosses are the only options, and that's assuming an ascended on each banner.

And four is probably being too generous. The only major Awakening characters not in the game are Gregor, Inigo, Kellam, Laurent, Noire, Ricken, Severa, Vaike, Validar and Excellus. It seems like a lot when you list them like that, but that's just ten characters, which at five characters per banner is two banners without alts. Even assuming they jump to an ascended+another alt you barely make four banners (three new characters per banner means the fourth banner will have just one new character).

Mustafa wasn't some obscure minor character pick, that was them trying to tackle the issue early. The next Awakening banner will almost certainly be bringing us the likes of Cervantes, Phila and Old Hubba, because they genuinely don't have any other options for Awakening. And the only reason they have more options for Fates is because it naturally had a larger cast, but in time we'll probably start seeing child paralogue bosses put in Heroes if the game continues for another few years. I understand why they put a bunch of Awakening and Fates characters into the game in the early days, as they were uncertain the game would actually flourish and it was the most surefire way. But it seems a bit short sighted on retrospect. The characters they should have bulked up the initial cast with were Archanea characters, as it's the largest cast in the series and none of them are all that popular, so they wouldn't need to struggle to carry banners now in the hayday of the game. No one is ever going to get excited about Matthais and Radd (sorry Archanea fans, it's true), so they'd would have worked best as filler for the low level units in the early game while the Fates and Awakening characters could have been the premium units you actually want.

Edited by Jotari