• Dedue
    • Felix
    • Sylvain
    • Ingrid
    • Ashe
    • Mercedes
    • Annette

I guess I'm the weirdo that adores all of the new designs. 😛

My favorite goes to Annette. It suits her perfectly.

If I had to pick a least favorite, I guess Sylvain, but only because I like all the others just that much.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

33 minutes ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

Ingrid is my least favorite of the new Blue Lions designs. I will say that I have gotten used to it, I really disliked the new design when they first revealed it but I don't necessarily dislike it so much anymore. It isn't necessarily a bad design, but it isn't all that great of one, either. It seems somewhat off to me and it's entirely because of the hair.

Yeah; it's definitely because of the hairstyle. I wasn't a fan of Ingrid's post-timeskip hairstyle in Three Houses, but her Three Hopes hairstyle makes her post-timeskip hair look amazing in comparison.

Two things surprise me about these results:

1) The mixed reception to Annette. She is by far the most liked design in the wider FE community.

2) The very negative reception to Ashe. While I would certainly make some tweaks to the design (slimming the platemail and lengthening the coat to match his timeskip coat), this design actually feels the most true to character. It's a mix of both the lowborn thief he is, and the idealistic knight he wants to be. In that sense, it's a great idea, executed almost-ideally.

3 hours ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

1) The mixed reception to Annette. She is by far the most liked design in the wider FE community.

2) The very negative reception to Ashe. While I would certainly make some tweaks to the design (slimming the platemail and lengthening the coat to match his timeskip coat), this design actually feels the most true to character. It's a mix of both the lowborn thief he is, and the idealistic knight he wants to be. In that sense, it's a great idea, executed almost-ideally.

1) I don't think it's that surprising, rather than not liking the design some think it looks out of place.

2) As someone who voted for Ash as least favourite, I actually like his armor, but that doesn't matter if I find his hair horrible.

8 hours ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

I'm bummed at the Ashe dislike.

Heck, I think his hair looks pretty good. Kind of got that protagonist style hair going on which kind of suits the person he wants to be.

And no one will ever convince me that Annette's look is unfitting, because no way is that true.

Just now, Sentinel07 said:

I'm bummed at the Ashe dislike.

Heck, I think his hair looks pretty good. Kind of got that protagonist style hair going on which kind of suits the person he wants to be.

And no one will ever convince me that Annette's look is unfitting, because no way is that true.

I actually agree on both counts. And Annette's is at least as fitting as Lissa's outfit is.

Now, if she walked in wearing a Fire Emblem Heroes bunny suit, THAT would be unfitting.

I think I will say Mercedes simply due to how big of an upgrade it is to her three houses design. I don't mind Ingrid's resdesign that much really. As for least favorite I am going to be honest none of the male designs other than Dedue are really great imo. I think Ashe and Felix are probably the two I like the least.

I'm kinda bummed at the mixed reception to Ashe's and Annette's designs. I don't understand how Annette's could be unfitting, and I really don't get a baker vibe (and I think I can say that with certainty, since I actually have a sibling who is a baker and have other relatives who were in food service). And Ashe's hair really doesn't look that different from Three Houses, does it? I mean, enough to really make his design the least favorite?

1 hour ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

I'm kinda bummed at the mixed reception to Ashe's and Annette's designs. I don't understand how Annette's could be unfitting, and I really don't get a baker vibe (and I think I can say that with certainty, since I actually have a sibling who is a baker and have other relatives who were in food service). And Ashe's hair really doesn't look that different from Three Houses, does it? I mean, enough to really make his design the least favorite?

I don't mind Annette's appearance either. I can kind-of see the "baker" look (it's mainly the hat, and the white part of her dress vaguely resembles a baker's apron).

As for Ashe, I honestly didn't notice anything about his hair at first (and I'm someone who dislikes Ingrid's hairstyle, so that should say something); what threw me off was that his outfit can make him look weirdly buff at certain moments in the trailer (but it's clearly the outfit, as various angles show that he's as skinny as he normally is in Three Houses).

40 minutes ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

I think for me and Ashe its a by comparison thing I think they are upgrades but unfortunately there has to be ones I like the least and it happens to be Ashe. I actually like Annete's new design even if I am not the biggest fan of the cloth. Although to be honest I think just don't like hats/Helms in general as when ever I have the option in games I hide helmets.

9 hours ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

I mean, I like Annette's design (even though I have to get used to her bangs), I'm just saying that I understand why someone would think it looks out of place, it suits her personality, but not so much her role as a noble and/or someone who is fighting in war.

Also, while I don't want to sound too condescending, I don't see how your sibling being a baker matters, there's a difference between a modern baker and a medieval one. This and this is what people have in mind when they say she looks like a baker, at least at a first glance.

As for Ashe, well, you are right that the hair is not that different, but his time skip design was already the one I liked the least on the BL, so it just made it worse.

2 hours ago, Sbuscoz said:

Also, while I don't want to sound too condescending,

You failed.

2 hours ago, Sbuscoz said:

I don't see how your sibling being a baker matters, there's a difference between a modern baker and a medieval one. This and this is what people have in mind when they say she looks like a baker, at least at a first glance.

I know exactly what people have in mind, thanks, and I stand by exactly what I said.

16 hours ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

And Ashe's hair really doesn't look that different from Three Houses, does it? I mean, enough to really make his design the least favorite?

It's certainly not enough to mark him as least favorite (that dishonor goes to Sylvain for me, even though it could be argued to be the best design since it makes him look every bit like the fuckboy he is), but I'm not a fan of Ashe's new hair either, it looks too... I don't know, too put together? feels like they're trying to take his design in an almost "princely" direction, when boyish cuteness was more his thing. His freckles being less visible (it took me a rewatch to notice that they were still there) doesn't help. Still cute, of course, but a downgrade.

Annette does look like a medieval baker, but the first thing that came to my mind at her kerchief and braids was a Heidi-like cosplay.

Mercedes is the best, but I voted for second best Felix because i've heard too many praises of her paired with criticisms of her perfectly good timeskip haircut.

I actually like Ingrid's hair.

My favorite is Annette, and that's totally not just my Annette bias at work, no sirree. The headkerchief, plus her cruller braid, are just the definition of cute.

As for Ingrid... they just had to give her TERF bangs, didn't they. I guess she's been seeing Lorenz's stylist? I'm not a fan, truthfully. 

9 minutes ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

As for Ingrid... they just had to give her TERF bangs, didn't they. I guess she's been seeing Lorenz's stylist? I'm not a fan, truthfully. 

I don't know what "TERF" stands for, but otherwise I agree. I wasn't a fan of Ingrid's post-timeskip hairstyle in Three Houses, but her Three Hopes hairstyle is making her post-timeskip hairstyle look amazing in comparison.

5 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

My favorite is Annette, and that's totally not just my Annette bias at work, no sirree. The headkerchief, plus her cruller braid, are just the definition of cute.

...how- how are these TERF bangs, what did these guys do now, to add hair to the list of everything they've tainted by association?

14 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

I don't know what "TERF" stands for, but otherwise I agree. I wasn't a fan of Ingrid's post-timeskip hairstyle in Three Houses, but her Three Hopes hairstyle is making her post-timeskip hairstyle look amazing in comparison.

Providing a spoiler box, since this is a mostly-irrelevant aside:

Spoiler

TERF stands for "Trans-Exclusionary Radical Feminist". It's a person who assumes a one-to-one correspondence between a person's observed sex at birth, and their gender. So to a TERF, trans women are men, and trans men are women, based on how they were born (regardless of the degree to which they have transitioned). It's generally a derisive exonym - an accused TERF is more likely to call themselves "gender-critical", or else espouse an allegiance to second-wave feminism. 

Any more I could say on this would belong in "Serious Discussion" or "Far from the Forest".

9 hours ago, Kori said:

...how- how are these TERF bangs, what did these guys do now, to add hair to the list of everything they've tainted by association?

TBH it's a pretty silly meme. In my experience, it generally refers to women's bangs cut in a straight or slightly curved line, sometimes with visible gaps. Obviously, there's no meaningful line between the hairstyle and the ideology. If I knew hairstyle lingo better, I could have a less ambiguous and loaded term to describe what I don't like about Ingrid's new hairdo.

Edited by Shanty Pete's 1st Mate
Mistake.

5 minutes ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

TBH it's a pretty silly meme. In my experience, it generally refers to women's bangs cut in a straight or slightly curved line, sometimes with visible gaps. Obviously, there's no meaningful line between the hairstyle and the ideology. If I knew hairstyle lingo better, I could have a less ambiguous and loaded term to describe what I don't like about Ingrid's new hairdo.

...oh. Well, better a silly meme than a serious association. 😅

On 5/20/2022 at 9:40 PM, Kori said:

feels like they're trying to take his design in an almost "princely" direction, when boyish cuteness was more his thing

I think the new Ashe still has that to some degree. Now just in a ''mommy Mercedes dressing him in his Sunday's best'' kind of way. 

Don't feel that strongly to them really.

Like Mercedes and Ingrid though I also liked them in Houses.

Dimitri is the most disappointing one. Don't really like his new design. It's not only that his original post skip is such iconic either. Just noticed the new hair I can give Dimitri and that one is league's above Hopes.

8 is my least favorite, 1 is my most favorite.

8. Ingrid - It just doesn't look good to me. Plus her armor was barely changed.

7. Sylvain - his hair looks worse, but at least his armor is more colorful.

6. Ashe - I feel neutral on this. It just isn't the most memorable redesign imo.

5. Annette - It's cute, but she looks like a baker.

4. Dedue - He actually looks older than his post timeskip design. I wish it was switched but it's pretty cool.

3. Dimitri - what a handsome, twisted boi

2. Mercedes - I wish her dress was a different, more vibrant color.

1. Felix - He looks awesome. His hair looks awesome, his cape is awesome, his armor is awesome. Awesome.

On 5/18/2022 at 1:52 PM, CyberZord said:

The best design for me would have to be Mercedes. Easily an improvement from her Three Houses design imo. 

Worst design for me would have to be Annette, for the same reason that @twilitfalchion lists in his reply.

@Past CyberZord Y'know, past me, I have to disagree with your opinion now that I've given the Blue Lions redesigns some more thought. 

Ever since I did a 5-day timeskip, I've had a change of opinion regarding the Blue Lions redesigns. I figured that I'd do a detailed list here, as I already did one for the Black Eagles redesigns. So, I've changed my votes (the poll results should reflect that), and Annette's no longer my least favorite redesign, while Mercedes' is no longer my favorite redesign.

8. Ashe. Ashe's redesign is the only BL redesign that doesn't really stand out to me, which is why it's unfortunately my least favorite redesign. Though for the record, I don't dislike any of the Blue Lions redesigns.

7. Ingrid. I'll say that her hair looks better than it did in the Three Houses timeskip, but not by much. Otherwise, a pretty comparable outfit. 

6. Dedue. The beard looks both badass and a little weird on the big guy, but at least those pesky battle scars are gone. 

5. Sylvain. I might surprise a few people by placing Sylvain so high on the list. Definitely an unpopular opinion on this thread. I personally like his redesign, as it fits his character rather well.

4. Mercedes. My previous #1 pick. Definitely an improvement over her Three Houses design, and I like what they did to her redesign for Three Hopes. The main reasons why I've dropped her redesign down to #4 is because: 1. I don't like the color of her outfit. 2. The top 3 redesigns were just that much better.

3. Annette. Yes. She jumped all the way up to #3 despite being my previous least favorite. I've grown to like her design a lot more. She looks pretty adorable, and I like her outfit. Though I still think she looks like a baker.

2. Dimitri. If it wasn't for Dimitri's Three Houses post timeskip design looking SO. DAMN. GOOD, I'd probably have placed his redesign at #1. I like how his hair is a mix between pre timeskip and post timeskip (alternate style). His armor looks awesome. Overall, I'm happy with how they redesigned my favorite 3H lord. Though I have taken a sneak peak at Claude's redesign, and... well (hot damn), I'll save it for the Golden Deer thread.

1. Felix. My new favorite redesign, Felix just looks straight up awesome in every aspect. From his attire to his ponytail, everything is simply excellent. 

8. Sylvain. Taking a character who is already very punchable and giving them a look based on an ugly villain isn't a great starting point. It would be like doing a Tellius Warriors in which Makalov got a redesign based on Senator Valtome.

7. Ingrid. Much like Caspar, it's basically just her timeskip look with worse hair.

6. Mercedes. From this point on, I actually like the designs. But I've always viewed Mercedes with indifference. It's her best design, but still bland.

5. Annette. It's definitely good and iconic, but I honestly found her regular timeskip look perfect.

4. Ashe. It's definitely got some things I'd tweak, but I like it, and it really fits him.

3. Dedue. It's not terribly different from his normal look, but the changes they do make are for the better. Only critique I have is that I wish his chinstrap beard were thicker to match the texture of his hair.

2. Dimitri. An excellent look, with his best hair yet. But it really isn't competing with his perfect timeskip design. It's his 2nd best look.

1. Felix. I really, really like it. But I do hope he also has a more generic black and blue swordmaster trenchcoat as an alt costume, so the dude who plays like Vergil can also look like him.