Classic Final Fantasy content

Lord_Brand

While Final Fantasy VII may be one of the series' most iconic and popular installments, I feel it was unjust to ignore the older entries that helped lead up to VII's release, especially the original game that started it all. In this topic, we discuss what classic Final Fantasy content we'd have liked to see in SSBU and what we'd like to see in SSB6. (Please refrain from posting comments like "SSB6 won't happen" as those contribute nothing to the topic at hand and will be reported as spam.) This post will be updated over time as I come up with new content to add to it or choose to reorganize the existing content.

Fighters

There are easily a dozen or more FF characters who could make great additions to Smash, but for now I'm focusing on three in particular.

Chocobo & Moogle

Spoiler

First up are the series mascots, Chocobo & Moogle, working as a team. Their moveset references some of the more notable roles played by Chocobos and Moogles in the series. For starters, the Chocobo started as a mount in FFII and has played that role in almost every game it's appeared in after. Naturally, the Chocobo runs quite fast, is able to fly, and uses its beak, talons, and wings to attack. The Moogle rides on the Chocobo and handles items. As a nod to Mog's ability to equip spears in FFVI, the Moogle uses a polearm as a weapon. The Moogle can use Dance to cause various random effects depending on the stage, again referencing Mog from FFVI. Their Final Smash, Chocobo Stampede, is similar to Yoshi's; they dash forward, trapping foes in their path. Trapped foes are then dropped in a field where a bunch of Chocobo trample them. Finally, a Fat Chocobo lands on the hapless foes.

Chocobo & Moogle's costumes reference the various colors of Chocobo seen throughout the years.

• P1: Yellow Chocobo
  • P2: Black Chocobo
  • P3: White Chocobo
  • P4: Red Chocobo
  • P5: Green Chocobo
  • P6: Blue Chocobo
  • P7: Purple Chocobo
  • P8: Gold Chocobo

Garland

Spoiler

Next up is Garland, the villain of the original Final Fantasy. His moveset wouldn't have too many fancy gimmicks, though he would pull a lot of inspiration from his appearance in the Dissidia series, complete with transforming sword. His specials represent the four Elements to which the Crystals and the Fiends are aligned. His Final Smash, Chaos Flare, transforms him into Chaos and has him cast Flare, the most powerful Black Magic spell in the original Final Fantasy. His crouch pose references his classic battle sprite.

Warrior of Light

Spoiler

Finally, there's the Light Warrior, representing not only the heroes of the original Final Fantasy but many heroes throughout the first six Final Fantasy games. Their signature ability is Job Change, which allows them to change jobs and in the process movesets. There are six major jobs the Warrior of Light can access: Warrior, Thief, Black Mage, White Mage, Red Mage, and Monk. Ninja and Dragoon could also be included due to their status as two of the series' most iconic jobs, bringing the number up to eight. Though the Warrior of Light represents mainly the original Final Fantasy, the job change ability comes from FFIII, which also introduced the signature Steal, Jump, and Throw commands for the Thief, Dragoon, and Ninja respectively. Many of the job outfits also come from or are inspired by those in FFIII and FFV.

Regardless of job, the Warrior of Light's Final Smash is Summon Bahamut, in which they use a crystal (or possibly Magicite) to summon the mighty dragon king who unleashes his Mega Flare attack. Obviously, this is a nod to the Summon skill introduced in FFIII, and features Bahamut, a recurring figure in the series who was likewise introduced in the original game (albeit not as a summon).

The Warrior of Light's costumes alternate between male and female (similar to a multitude of other fighters such as Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, Robin, Corrin, Byleth, and Inkling), and each features a hair color and style designed to evoke one or more heroes from the classic FF games.

• P1: Red - Male, red hair, references the Warrior from FFI and FFIII as well as Firion's original sprite in FFII
  • P2: Purple - Female, long purple hair, references Maria from FFII and Faris from FFV
  • P3: Blue - Male, short blue hair with a tuft in front, references Leon from FFII
  • P4: Yellow - Female, blonde ponytail, references Rosa from FFIV and Krile from FFV
  • P5: Brown - Recolor of P1 that references Bartz from FFV
  • P6: Pink - Recolor of P2 that references Lenna from FFV and Shirma from Chocobo's Dungeon.
  • P7: White - Recolor of P3 that references Firion from FFII and Cecil from FFIV
  • P8: Green - Recolor of P4 that references Terra from FFVI

Stages

To go with the three Fighters I've suggested, I have a stage corresponding to each.

First is Chocobo's Dungeon for Chocobo & Moogle. The stage is named after and references the Chocobo's Dungeon series. In keeping with the Mystery Dungeon nature of those titles, the stage is somewhat randomized not unlike Minecraft World.

Second is Temple of Chaos, Garland's base of operations in the original Final Fantasy. Statues of the Four Fiends are visible in the background, and each one glows for a bit when their respective hazard activates.

Third is Airship, referencing another common Final Fantasy trope. The Airship flies around various iconic backdrops from the FF series.

Music

Spoiler
  • FINAL FANTASY
    • Main Theme
    • Battle Theme
    • Temple of Chaos
    • Boss Theme A
    • Boss Theme B
    • Airship
    • Last Battle
  • FINAL FANTASY II
    • Battle Scene 1
    • Rebel Army Theme
    • Battle Scene A
    • Battle Scene B
    • Battle Scene 2
  • FINAL FANTASY III
    • Battle Theme
    • Eternal Wind
    • Chocobo Theme
    • Dark Cloud Battle
  • FINAL FANTASY IV
    • Prelude
    • Red Wings
    • Fight 1
    • Fight 2
    • The Dreadful Fight
  • FINAL FANTASY V
    • Battle
    • Battle on the Big Bridge
  • FINAL FANTASY VI
    • Omen
    • Locke's Theme
    • Battle
    • Edgar and Sabin's Theme
    • Kefka
    • Shadow's Theme
    • Gau's Theme
    • Celes' Theme
    • Save Them!
    • The Decisive Battle
    • Cyan's Theme
    • The Unforgiven
    • Terra's Theme
    • Techno de Chocobo
    • Grand Finale
    • Setzer
    • Devil's Lab
    • Mog
    • Strago
    • Relm
    • The Fierce Battle
    • Searching for Friends
    • Gogo
    • Umaro
    • Last Dungeon
    • Dancing Mad
  • Mystic Quest
    • Mystic Quest
    • Battle 1
    • Bone Dungeon
    • Battle 2
    • Focus Tower
    • Ice Pyramid
    • Lava Dome
    • Pazuzu's Tower
    • Doom Castle
    • Battle 3

Items

Excalibur - A battering item that deals good damage.

Excalipoor - A knockoff of Excalibur that deals piddling damage except when thrown.

Ultima Weapon - A Beam Sword-like weapon with a blade that's longer and stronger the closer you are to 0% damage (or maximum starting Stamina).

Magicite - This item works similar to an Assist Trophy, except it summons a creature from the Final Fantasy series in specific.

Spoiler
  • Lich
  • Marilith
  • Kraken
  • Tiamat
  • Bahamut
  • Bomb
  • Ifrit
  • Shiva
  • Ramuh
  • Odin
  • Leviathan
  • Titan
  • Scarmiglione
  • Cagnazzo
  • Barbariccia
  • Rubicante
  • Tonberry
  • Gilgamesh
  • Carbuncle
  • Golem
  • Phoenix
  • Cactuar
  • Alexander

Edited by Lord_Brand

I'm actually in favor of seeing a 6th Super Smash Bros. game. Ultimate may have the: "Everyone is here!" slogan, but I believe that statement is simply untrue because there are still a bunch more characters that could still be added (Like for instance, Paper Mario himself or a Starter Pokémon from Gen 8 like Scorbunny/Grookey/Sobble). Hell, I'd be satisfied if they just ported Ultimate from the Switch and added new fighters, music, and stages to the next Nintendo system. 

As for your proposed Final Fantasy content, it looks pretty good, though it may not sound like much coming from me because I've never played an official Final Fantasy title in my life (I always preferred Dragon Quest over Final Fantasy, despite both being released by Square Enix). Most of my Final Fantasy encounters was with other games such as Smash Ultimate (with Cloud and Sephiroth), and Mario Sports Mix, which had a few Final Fantasy characters included oddly enough (though it doesn't top the oddest crossover to reach the West in a game called Fortune Street, where Mario and Dragon Quest characters battled it out to become the ultimate capitalist).

I could see 1 or 2 more Final Fantasy reps joining the battle in a potential Smash 6, though we don't want to have too many of them in the game like all the Fire Emblem representatives, where most of them play like Marth (Only exceptions to this are Ike to an extent, Robin, Corrin somewhat, and Byleth). It may sound odd coming from a Fire Emblem fan such as myself, but we really didn't need so many sword fighters from the same series (and there's more than enough sword fighters in the game as it is anyways). I'd have preferred some variety such as a pure axe/lance/magic wielder or even something such as an Eliwood/Hector/Lyn trio akin to Pyra/Mythra in Smash Ultimate. But at the end of the day I can't complain too much about it, since I still like most of the reps we got in Ultimate.

Well, I've already redone my Metal Slug moveset, so I may as well redo Ramza's (the original moveset is here). He'll still be a swiss-army-knife fighter, using various weapons from across the different jobs, like the above Light Warrior idea but without the Job Change. This time I will try to take a little more from FF Tactics itself. Luckily I've been on a kick replaying the game on PS1 so it's fresh in my mind once more. Also helps that we have another swiss-army-knife fighter in the form of Byleth whose moveset could be used as a template.

As before, I will give PS1 names followed by The War of the Lions remake names if applicable.

Spoiler

Ramza Beoulve (Final Fantasy Tactics)

Normal moves

-Neutral: 3 swipes with a Platinum Sword.

-Side Tilt: Jab with a Holy Lance. Good range. Can be angled.

-Down Tilt: Poke forwards with a White Mage's staff. Has a 1 in 10 chance of using a Mace of Zeus/Zeus Mace instead which deals improved damage and knockback.

-Up Tilt: An overarching swing with a Black Mage's rod. Multi-hit. Each use cycles through using Flame Rod, Thunder Rod, and Ice Rod, in that order and dealing the respective elemental damage (so basically Sora's Side B but simplified to an Up Tilt).

Neutral Air: Spins and slashes in a horizontal motion dual-wielding Ninja Blades. (Similar to Marth and co. but faster).

Forward Air: Pokes forward with an Iron Fan (stick/pole).

Back Air: Fires a Romanda Gun/Romandan Pistol behind him. Has a fair range, of about 2½ Mario's*. Deals a fixed 6% damage and does not stale. Projectile, can be reflected. Reference: Guns' base damage is their Atk power squared. Romanda Gun has an Atk value of 6.

Up Air: Swings a Morning Star (mace) above him in a circular motion. Multi-hit.

Down Air: Throws 3 Magic Shuriken/Fuma Shuriken below him, about 1½ Mario's in range. Cannot spike. Shuriken can be reflected. Low landing lag.

Smash Attacks

Side Smash: Over-the-shoulder arcing slash with Ragnarok (knight sword). While charging or attacking, takes ¼ less damage (not a quarter of) from attacks that deal elemental or other special damage such as Aura/PK/Magic (knockback is unaffected). Reference: Ragnarok bestows permanent Shell status to the wielder, which reduces damage from magic attacks.

Up Smash: Raises Chirijiraden (katana) horizontally above his head and draws out its power. A blue flaming dragon head circles horizontally at level with the katana. If fully charged, does high damage and Lucas levels of knockback, but 50% of the time the katana will break, rendering Ramza unable to use his Up Smash for 7 seconds. Multi-hit. Deals Aura damage. Aesthetic: While charging, Ramza holds the katana at chest level, free hand near the tip, arms shaking as he tries to draw out its full power. Reference: The Samurai's Draw Out/Iaido ability uses katana from the player's inventory, with a 1/8 chance of breaking (and thus consuming) them.

Down Smash: Strikes the ground in front of him with a Slasher (axe). Full charge is about half as powerful as Byleth's Down B. Has a 1/8 chance of slowing the opponent for 1 second. Can spike if used at the ledge. Reference: The Slasher has a chance of inflicting the Slow status on whoever it hits.

Specials

Neutral B: Holy. Ramza stands still and charges the spell for about 2 seconds. During that time a green square on the ground with a cursor from FFT above it appears in front of him indicating his target, and you can move it left or right. Think Sephiroth's [Mega/Giga] Flare (charging-wise) combined with Greninja's Shadow Sneak (aiming-wise). When it goes off, a stream of holy light envelops the target area, flowing from the ground straight upwards. Multi-hit. Great overall damage, last hit does great knockback, but full charge has high ending lag while Ramza regains his composure. Deals Aura damage. Reference: The fact that Ramza can use this move infinitely without consuming MP, means he's using the Calculator/Arithmeticians math ability, which can cast various learned magic under specific calculations instantly and without using MP. Yes, it's a mostly broken skill in FFT. The 2-second charge time is roughly the length of the magic-casting animation, which shows while Ramza is charging the Neutral B.

Side B: Earth Slash/Shockwave. Strikes the ground, causing debris to fly up in front of him. Range: About 5 Mario's or all the ground in front of him, whichever is less. If used in midair, he instead uses Wave Fist/Aurablast, launching a Hadoken-esque blast that travels about 3 Mario's horizontally. Both are single-hit.

Down B: Scream/Shout. Stands in place and shouts while gathering power for about 3 seconds, causing his next attack to deal more damage. Very similar to Wii Fit Trainer's Deep Breathing, but the attack boost (which affects all moves except the FS) is smaller, doesn't heal, and there's no second input that you can fail. The move must cooldown for 20 seconds after each use. If attempting to use it during that time, Ramza will try for a moment but his arms and upper body will go limp, then he quickly regains his composure.

Up B: Choco Lift. Ramza mounts a Black Chocobo, it steadily flies him up. Movement and control is similar to Pit's old Up B from Brawl.

Throws

Pummel: With a Battle Dictionary/Battle Folio (book) in his free hand, he tightens his grip on his opponent while seemingly reading words (insults...?) from the book (there are no voice clips for this).

Forward Throw: Slashes and then stabs with a Platinum Dagger (knife).

Back Throw: Throws opponent and quickly fires a bolt from a crossbow.

Up Throw: Performs the Lancer's/Dragoon's Jump skill. Leaps above the top of the screen and crashes back down on the opponent. Think like Kirby's or Meta Knight's Up Throw or Charizard's Forward Throw, except the opponent stays put during the leap.

Down Throw: Uses the Dark Knight skill Dark Sword/Duskblade. Deals Darkness damage. Deals around 1.5% damage, and Ramza heals that amount. Deals fixed moderate knockback to prevent heal spamming of this throw. Reference: In The War of the Lions, the Dark Knight class can be accessed by anyone, including Ramza.

Final Smash: Attack Team - For the initial hit, Ramza plays a Lamia's Harp (instrument), and a sound wave hits about 3 Mario's in front of him. Any opponents hit by the sound wave are sent to a small grid from FFT, resembling the ones seen in the tutorials (opponents use the dazed animation at this moment). Ramza begins charging up Ultima, meanwhile 4 specific party members use a barrage of attacks: Agrias uses Stasis Sword/Judgement Blade, Holy Knight!Delita uses Split Punch/Cleansing Strike, "T.G. Cid" Orlandu/Orlandeau uses Lightning Stab/Hollowed Bolt, and a Red Chocobo uses Choco Meteor. Finally Ramza wraps up by casting Ultima, blowing away his opponents. All of this, of course, happens in the span of a few seconds. References: "Attack Team" is the Japanese name of the track that plays on the pre-battle formation screen. The Lamia's Harp can inflict the Confusion status on opponents. Typically you can use up to 5 units per battle, including Ramza (though Holy Knight!Delita never joins your party). And of course, Ultima is a hidden skill that Ramza (as a Squire) can learn if certain enemies cast it on him and he survives.

Other/Aesthetics

When guarding, Ramza brings out the Escutcheon II (shield). Ramza's shield (the bubble, not the Escutcheon) resembles that of Reflect or Shell status magic.

Taunts: Up - Panics in a cartoony fashion, specifically from when he awakened Worker 8 and it blasted Mustadio. "Where's the phoenix down!?"

Side - Flourishes with his sword, like in Dissidia NT. "I'll show you the truth."

Down - Picks up a blade of grass, makes a reed out of it, and blows into it. References a scene in Chapter 1 which was made into a CG cutscene in the remake.

Costumes: (His Dissidia NT artwork will be used for reference, except for the last two)

C1 - House Beoulve Thirdborn A (His appearance in chapter 1)

C2 - Virtuous Mercenary A (His appearance in chapter 2 & 3)

C3 - Heroic Heretic I (His appearance in chapter 4 onward)

C4 - Take House Beoulve Thirdborn C, but make the red a little more pink, make the yellow trim orange, and make all the brown parts except his boots orange; making this a reference to his sister Alma.

C5 - Virtuous Mercenary B. A Smash Dissidia NT original.

C6 - Take Heroic Heretic II, but make his shirt, pants, and the brown portions red; making this a reference to his friend Delita (in his Holy Knight garb).

C7 - Dark Knight (Left one in the image. Would probably be without the helmet)

C8 - Onion Knight (Left one in the image, again. And definitely without the helmet)

And there we go. I hope this revised moveset makes Ramza feel more like a FF Tactics fighter than merely being the FF version of Link or Byleth.

*A measurement of one "Mario" is the width of Mario (via his model in Ultimate) from shoulder to shoulder if he were standing still with arms relaxed.