• Edelgard
    • Hubert
    • Ferdinand
    • Petra
    • Dorothea
    • Bernadetta
    • Linhardt
    • Caspar

The only thing I hate about Caspar is that he's got gauntlets on his belt. Did someone drop him on his head many times as a child? Even if you're mainly wielding an axe, gauntlets are still just armor, they aren't even bulkier than what he's wearing, and it's a lot easier to punch someone if you don't have to slip on a pair of steel mittens first.

Edited by Fabulously Olivier

55 minutes ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

The only thing I hate about Caspar is that he's got gauntlets on his belt. Did someone drop him on his head many times as a child? Even if you're mainly wielding an axe, gauntlets are still just armor, they aren't even bulkier than what he's wearing, and it's a lot easier to punch someone if you don't have to slip on a pair of steel mittens first.

to be fair, the gauntlets in 3H aren't worn like gloves, but are held via a small handle

5 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

What was it that you found unpleasant about Edelgard's post-timeskip design? I thought it fit her and gave her a commanding presence.

I won't deny that the Part 2 design fit her well and gave her a fitting presence considering her position in the timeskip part of the game (especially when you're fighting against her in every route not called Crimson Flower), but I didn't like the crown thing that she wore throughout Part 2. It just looked bad on her imo. In New Game + runs, you can change her design a little bit and remove the headpiece that she wears, and she looks far better without it honestly. Though that accursed headpiece still shows itself in special scenes, illustrations, or Edelgard's portrait (The part 2 variation), which kind of sucks. Honestly the biggest thing that I disliked about her post-timeskip design in Three Houses. Glad the developers removed it and gave her a far better headpiece for Three Hopes with her redesign. 

Favourite is between Dorothea and Petra. I like the almost gothic/vampire vibe Dorothea has going on, it really matches with how sombre her character becomes post TS. It also is imo the best in between where I can see her going from Pre-TS>Three Hopes>Post-TS. As for Petra, I just think she's extremely pretty. I think the hair piece adds to the fact she is supposed to be royalty which is nice to see.

For least favourite, probably Edelgard tbh. While I find Caspar's and Bernie's hair stupid, I think it matches their characters and again, is a nice medium between their pre-TS and post-TS looks. Edelgard however just looks really generic? Especially when compared to her amazing time skip design, I just think she's lost some flavour, especially with all the silver armour which feels really out of place on her.

Overall, I think the Blue Lions got the better redesigns so far (tho I am biased to be fair lol). I am excited to see the GD now however as I really don't know what to expect. Am hoping for Marianne to have her hair down however.

2 minutes ago, CyberZord said:

I won't deny that the Part 2 design fit her well and gave her a fitting presence considering her position in the timeskip part of the game (especially when you're fighting against her in every route not called Crimson Flower), but I didn't like the crown thing that she wore throughout Part 2. It just looked bad on her imo. In New Game + runs, you can change her design a little bit and remove the headpiece that she wears, and she looks far better without it honestly. Though that accursed headpiece still shows itself in special scenes, illustrations, or Edelgard's portrait (The part 2 variation), which kind of sucks. Honestly the biggest thing that I disliked about her post-timeskip design in Three Houses. Glad the developers removed it and gave her a far better headpiece for Three Hopes with her redesign. 

Nah. The new headpiece is actually worse, and it's another reason I hate the new look. A gold headpiece does not look good with an otherwise pure red and silver color scheme.

1 hour ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

I honestly love it. I can hear him say "If Felix can have a spare sword, I can have a spare gauntlet. Or four."

Now that I've had time to think on them, Hubert's is probably my favorite, though unlike with the BL, there isn't one that I dislike this time around, at most I'm indifferent towards like, a third of them

Edited by Vexal

3 hours ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

Nah. The new headpiece is actually worse, and it's another reason I hate the new look. A gold headpiece does not look good with an otherwise pure red and silver color scheme.

I actually like the combination of red, silver and gold that's going on with Edelgard's new design. Besides, I believe that if the headpiece was silver, it would kind of blend in with Edelgard's white hair, and would be harder to notice compared to a solid gold one. Though you could argue that the headpiece should've been made red in order to complete the pure red and silver color scheme look, which admittedly would've been better than the gold one they went with. I kind of like the new design Edelgard sports in Three Hopes, though it's second to last when it comes to the list of my favorite redesign of the Black Eagles.

16 minutes ago, CyberZord said:

I actually like the combination of red, silver and gold that's going on with Edelgard's new design. Besides, I believe that if the headpiece was silver, it would kind of blend in with Edelgard's white hair, and would be harder to notice compared to a solid gold one. Though you could argue that the headpiece should've been made red in order to complete the pure red and silver color scheme look, which admittedly would've been better than the gold one they went with. I kind of like the new design Edelgard sports in Three Hopes, though it's second to last when it comes to the list of my favorite redesign of the Black Eagles.

Yeah I honestly think most of Edelgard's new design is excellent, especially from a color perspective.

The truly thing about her design I'm not super high on is the lower half with the shorts and skirt that has given her the "magical girl" label.

3 hours ago, CyberZord said:

I honestly like the dragon-horn headpiece that she wears post-timeskip. I honestly think it looks cool as a crown, and it fits the rest of the outfit. Admittedly, I didn't like the Leia hair that it gives her at first, but it has grown on me.

5 minutes ago, Sentinel07 said:

The truly thing about her design I'm not super high on is the lower half with the shorts and skirt that has given her the "magical girl" label.

I think you just helped me figure out what I didn't like about Edelgard's Three Hopes outfit. Her pre-timeskip and 1st post-timeskip outfit both look, for lack of a better word, dignified, and I just don't think her Three Hopes outfit, with the short cape and the skirt among other things, looks nearly as dignified. The hairstyle looks good, but I'm not sure about the rest.

Linhardt has my favorite hair of the new designs. Just splendidly combining the bun-ponytail with side hair that frames his face. I would do anything to protect him.

As for Bernadetta, her new hairstyle is straight outta Whoville. I get it fitting her character, but the crown-ponytail is a big "no" from me.

Since Black Eagle and Blue Lions are here. I have a prediction favourite and least favourite for Golden Deer.

Favourite : Claude and Marianne (If Loose Hair)

Least favourite : Lysithea (Winter cloth like they do for Annette (Cap, Coat and Boots)). Marianne (If Ponytail Hair).

9 hours ago, Sentinel07 said:

Yeah I honestly think most of Edelgard's new design is excellent, especially from a color perspective.

Here's the thing. If her silver armor also had gold trim, the color balance would look good. But it doesn't. I dislike it for the same reason I dislike many lord armor/weapon combos (IE: Chrom having a red/gold weapon with an entirely blue/silver/white outfit). I like color cohesion.

The skirting is definitely a big part of the magical girl thing, and then there's the completely unsubtle heart motif. Yes, I know she already had one if you really looked for it, but it's worse here. She looks like a rejected sailor scout - Princess Adrestia!

20 hours ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

Bernie be looking like the creepy baby from Twilight Princess.

Oh my god, you're totally right lmao

*AHEM*  Petra came to slay and she did in more ways than one

While Bernie's can be argued to be somewhat in character, I still don't like it. 

Least favorite maybe Caspar because I don't care about him.

Favorite. Petra and Bernadetta. I didn't like much that Bernadetta had normal hair in the original post skip so I'm glad that she has messy hair again. Petra looks slightly Hindu inspired which is pretty cool.

As for Edelgard I think this works because unlike in 3 houses there won't be a TS and thus Edelgard won't have time to dress all regal and manage the Empire as a new emperor, instead she will have to get into battle right away. She doesn't looks like a heavy armor unit but closer to a berserker so she having her legs exposed gives her more flexibility (I'm always hesitant to use the realism argument because no one wears helmets which is arguably a death sentence in any battlefield) which makes sense to me.

8 is my least favorite, and 1 is my most favorite.

8. Caspar - there's a scar we've never heard of and it's on his hair???????????? And they barely changed his armor.

7. Edelgard - I'm not a fan of this redesign. It looks too magical girl-ish and doesn't look like it's her style.

6. Bernadetta - I don't have a strong opinion on this one.

5. Hubert - Like Bernie, but I like it more.

4. Linhardt - looks really good! I like his lil ponytail.

3. Ferdinand - I'm glad he still looks handsome.

2. Petra - This is awesome. The headpiece, the fabrics... it's cool.

1. Dorothea - I'm biased and she looks fantastic. I wish she had a hat though. A cute lil red beret would've been great.

It's interesting to break it down by full ranking. Mine would be:

8. Edelgard. Absolutely atrocious from color scheme to the magical girl aesthetic. It isn't Edelgard.

7. Bernadetta. It's growing on me, but I still don't like it.

6. Caspar. It's honestly the look that changes the least.

5. Linhardt. I like everything except for the frilly collar. And well, a longer ponytail would have been nice, but this is still his best hair yet.

4. Dorothea. Does nothing for me in either direction.

3. Ferdinand. So close to the top 2 that I debate back and forth over where to place it. He looks regal, and excellent. Only thing is that some of the coloration is surprisingly drab.

2. Hubert. He looks and plays like a goth Roy Mustang, and I dig it. The new suit is both militaristic and elegant. 

1. Petra. Hard to argue with objectively high quality work.

Allow me to continue this chain of full rankings. Here's mine:

8. Petra. A rather unpopular opinion on this thread, but there's just something about that headpiece and overall design that I'm not a fan of. 

7. Edelgard. I don't find the color scheme to be terrible, though I will say that a red headpiece (or none at all) would've worked better with the outfit. The lower part of her outfit is giving me serious F! Corrin design vibes, and I don't like it.

6. Caspar. Not really a fan of the spiky hair, the scar looks out of place, and its not much of a change from Three Houses. Overall an "eh" design. I'd say its passable.

5. Bernadetta. I don't mind what they did with her hair here, it looks good to me. A rather decent design, and from this point on, every redesign is one I like.

4. Linhardt. The ponytail looks quite nice on him, and I personally think its the perfect length. Solid design.

3. Hubert. Great outfit, better hair than Three Houses, and this design suits him perfectly. A great design overall.

2. Dorothea. Love what they did with her redesign for Three Hopes. Easily my favorite design of her, and its a close second to Ferdinand's design.

1. Ferdinand. His design strikes a perfect balance between pre and post timeskip Ferdinand in Three Houses and I love it. Excellent design.