How di the mechanics for winning the White Heron Cup work?

I lost the White Heron Cup despite my dancer having 14 charm. And whatever rng is involved seems to have already been decided some time ago because reesetting doesn't work. How exactly does the calculation for whether you win or lose work? How much charm do I need for 100% chance of winning? And how far back do I need to reset for a second shot with 14 charm?

I dunno, because I always pick someone who is well over 13 charm for it. I would sooner chalk this up to The Computer Is A Lying Bastard.

4 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

I dunno, because I always pick someone who is well over 13 charm for it. I would sooner chalk this up to The Computer Is A Lying Bastard.

It is, somehow someone with 25 charm didn't sweep it.

10 hours ago, Druplesnubb said:

I lost the White Heron Cup despite my dancer having 14 charm. And whatever rng is involved seems to have already been decided some time ago because reesetting doesn't work. How exactly does the calculation for whether you win or lose work? How much charm do I need for 100% chance of winning? And how far back do I need to reset for a second shot with 14 charm?

I always thought that 14 charm was a guaranteed win (I have lost at 13 before, though). Just checking, but the charm figure you're quoting is without any battalions, class modifiers (e.g. from Pegasus Knight, Lord), or accessories, right? Because I'm pretty sure none of those are counted.

I'd guess that to savescum it, you'd need to reload a save in the previous chapter (that's how other certifications work). Or, go back far enough that you can take @Zapp Branniglenn's advice and get in a couple tea times.

That's odd, a charm stat above 13 should warrant a victory in the White Heron Cup. I'd recommend choosing a student with a high charm stat as your representative for the WHC. I'd also recommend choosing a student who's eager to participate in the event, since they'll probably have a better chance of winning if they actually want to take part in it. In all of my Three Houses runs so far, this choice has always worked out as long as my rep's charm stat was over 13, so maybe it plays a factor in deciding the winner. Though you can have any student, willing, neutral, or unwilling, win it anyways, so it may just be down to the charm stat. Make sure you do the practice session with your representative, since it increases their charm stat by 5 points. Tea Time's also a great way to raise charm with the student you pick, so make sure to do a few of those as well. Cooking a meal that raises charm also doesn't hurt if you've got the ingredients. 

You'll probably need to go back to (at least) the previous chapter before the WHC event in order to have a second shot. The higher the charm, the better your chances should be, so I'd recommend that you get your representative's charm stat as high as you can on the next go. 

14 hours ago, ciphertul said:

It is, somehow someone with 25 charm didn't sweep it.

You DID win, though, right? Anyways, unanimous wins are pretty rare to my knowledge.

1 minute ago, Shadow Mir said:

You DID win, though, right? Anyways, unanimous wins are pretty rare to my knowledge.

Yes, I did, however during my first playthru I picked Flayn and she got all 3 votes. I don't remember her charm.

I normally have someone with a charm stat well above 13 before I try it. Sometimes just above 13 would normally work. Also you if have the person you picked for the White Heron Cup to do a practice session where you’ll see Byleth show their student how to dance, you’ll get a +5 to your charm stat thus pretty much giving you the win. I typically get 2 out of 3 votes from the judges. Haven’t gotten all 3 votes on any given play through.