How many Fire Emblem games do you actually like?

Jotari

Literally the only entry I genuinely don't like is Fates: Conquest - maybe also Fates: Revelation because the level design uses the mentality of an MMO to pad out gameplay (that is, they just waste your time) and I want to smash something every time I play that stupid ice-breaking level or Mr. Fuga's Wild Ride or literally anything that takes place in Valla.  It's frustrating for Conquest because I want to like it but I can't bring myself to for some reason, though I think I've ranted on this plenty of times before so I just won't bother going into it this time.  Also, I kinda stopped playing FEH after half a year, so I suppose I don't like that game much either - mainly they did something so that it's frustrating/impossible to play on an emulator at some point so I just dropped off the game altogether (though honestly I probably would've gotten sick and tired of the gacha elements eventually anyway).  Don't even know if it's actually playable on emulator again, I stopped caring, lmao.

I guess I could say I technically don't "like" the Tellius games either, but that's because I haven't really played through them so I literally can't say I like them since I've yet to truly sit down and enjoy them proper.  Every other entry, though, I think I actually like.  Even the entries that are easy like Gaiden, Genealogy, Sacred Stones, or Echoes; even the ones that are frustrating or tedious like Binding Blade or Three Houses; even the ones that are archaic like the NES games.  I generally like every game in the series I've played.  Like, this is what I'd say for each game:

• FE1: Archaic, but still kinda charming and still has enough strategy to keep me engaged
  • FE2: Sorta same as FE1, only instead of strategy focus there's more adventuring and dungeoneering
  • FE3: It's everything I imagine when someone asks to describe "Fire Emblem" minus support mechanics, it's really, really good
  • FE4: Hilariously broken, but damn do I love the story
  • FE5: Interesting gameplay dynamics going on, and I like exploring a more localized story within the world of Jugdral
  • FE6: Tedious as all heck, but I like the characters well enough
  • FE7: Sorta the same deal as FE3, except it also has supports and an enjoyable trio of protagonists
  • FE8: Infamously easy, but again I like the characters (also has some messed up stuff, like Orson's whole story)
  • FE11: Feels a bit gutted without supports (which is funny when the Archanea games never had support convos), but it has solid gameplay and a decent enough story; also the first time I think ballisticians have been actually useful in the Archanea games (why did they have a range of 2 in FE1???)
  • FE12: The case FE11 fans will make for why the previous remake was better off without supports (lmao), but I do like the dynamic of the 7th Platoon, Katarina's story, and how the new mechanics freshen up the story of Marth's second adventure, even as far as how interesting having a customizable avatar unit can make repeat playthroughs
  • FE13: Literally the first game in the series I played, it's my first love and I will never not love this game
  • FE14: Barring previous mentions, I liked my first time through Birthright and came to love certain characters from that game
  • FE15: There were things that were really dumb about the story, and I think they skewed what Alm should've been like in this game, but apart from presentation I do like a good number of the character interactions - it's also the first time the Whitewing Sisters got somewhat in-depth characterization outside of Japan-exclusive media, I think, so I like that
  • FE16: One of the most tedious games to play through after you had already completed your first playthrough - possibly even moreso than FE6 - but I actually think the story's pretty good (maybe even the best in the series that I'm aware apart from the Jugdral games) and I really enjoy most of the characters; and I actually do like how they've handled character ideologies, I like seeing characters with firm, solid ideals that are tangible enough (and aren't just simplistic self-interest) that I could see people in the real world adopting them even if they aren't 100% rational or fact-based (also, don't get me wrong, I can enjoy a simplistic antagonist, it's just I also really enjoy idealistic antagonists or flaw heroes)

i'd say all of them except Awakening, Fates, Warriors and 3H, though i haven't played BS Akaneia Saga

i just like FE's gameplay in general, so i'm likely to be fine with whatever i get, as long as it isn't altered to what i think is an excessive degree
Awakening, Fates and 3H did exactly that

I have played every FE game since 6, except Birthright and that pop song spinoff.

When it comes to Fates, I can respect that game for the gameplay, both Conquest and Revelations. But when it comes to story or characters, there's nothing for me there. So I decided not to even play Birthright. I like Conquest enough to have played it multiple times, so I decided to give Fates a pass and actually sort of like it.

That pop song game I refuse to call an FE game, it sounds like horror to me, and not the good kind.

Heroes is a game I really liked in the beginning, but the dislike has grown and now I hate it. I hate that the units that I poured all my love and effort into are just not viable anymore. I maxed out Lute and decided that meant I finished the game. Never returned and never missed it. (Especially not missing those horrible alts.)

Warriors was okay for what it was, but is it truly a FE game? It's just a fighting game with FE characters, it's no more a FE game than Smash Brothers is.

As for all the other mainline games, I either love them to death (3H, PoR, BB), really like them (SS, RD, SoV), or like them enough to replay every now and then (BS, NM, A, SD, F).

30 minutes ago, whase said:

That pop song game I refuse to call an FE game, it sounds like horror to me, and not the good kind.

I don't think I've ever been less invested in a video game's story than TMS, but I'd still recommend it because the gameplay is really tight (that's a good thing). If you ever wanted to play an RPG variation of Fire Emblem, this is it.

Played most all of them to some extent, with the exception of conquest and Revelation. Also 3/4 routes of 3H. And technically I haven't finished Radiant Dawn.

I have ones I preferred of that bunch but I liked pretty much all of them. Including the NES games that I've heard are supposedly "unplayable" due to age. 😛

Going over the ones I`ve played

• FE4: At first, I did enjoy it. Now, not so much, moving units around
  • FE7: Enjoyed a lot when I first played it, less so nowadays
  • FE8: Greatly, especially Ephriam`s route
  • FE13: First game bias is strong, but I recognize that the game has flaws
  • FE14: Actually enjoyed it a lot, except for certain maps (CQ10, ninja cave, Brithright Fort Dragonfall)
  • FE15: Enjoy it a fair bit, even if the maps get very samey
  • FE16: Got exhausted with it quickly, but still enjoy it
  • FEH: It`s fine, a nice time in short bursts so long as I avoid the competitive modes

On 5/22/2022 at 6:05 PM, Jotari said:

Most responses are saying they do generally like them all though. The worst we're getting is mixed feelings. The only real difference is that most people haven't played literally every game in the series.

I was speaking from memory. I do know a few people who admitted they like every game in the series, but one, they were a very small minority, and two, this was before SoV and 3H were a thing.

Actually 3 :

- Radiant Dawn (Like Post-timeskip Character)

- Echoes : Shadow of Valentia (Design and Overclass character)

- Three Houses : War Phase (Silver Snow, Azure Moon, Verdant Wind and Crimson Flower) (Like Post-timeskip character and gameplay)

I have to admit that I never got too far into FE1 and Gaiden because the gameplay is really slow and clunky. I didn't hate playing them, since (as @Fire Emblem Fan pointed out) FE still has very solid basic gameplay, but I'd rather replay Shadow Dragon than wrestle with FE1's inventory management.

But other than that, I genuinely like every game I've played through (which is 6-12). Urge to replay them varies, but I think they're all, at worst, good games.

I like almost all of them. I probably wouldn't be on a FE side if the balance of how many games I like tilted to the negative end of the spectrum. Even the games I complain about the most(Fates) are ones I like, and that's why I complain about them, because I think they deserved better.

The only exception, the only Fire Emblem I do not like is Shadow Dragon, because I just do not respect the game or the design philosophy behind it. And even that one I consider good enough from a pure gameplay standard. 

Anyway yeah, didn't answer, just asked Jotari questions that I would ask people.

I did the math and I like less than half the series (assuming I end up liking Thracia). If you count Fates as three games, it comes out to exactly half. I personally don't think it is a terrible evil to dislike a video game, so please enjoy your daily reminder than Path of Radiance is a slog and Binding Blade is the master r- uh, FE game.

The only one I'd say I actively dislike is FE1. It's so archaic and clunky, to the point of just feeling unpleasant to play. No combat forecast or visible movement ranges? Simply unforgivable.

All the other games in the series, even those I haven't yet beaten (Thracia, New Mystery, technically FE6), have offered me some kind of satisfaction. I haven't played FE2 or FE3, so no verdict on those.

So far there are 4 I greatly enjoyed and regularly feel like playing again : FE4, FE5, FE8 SS and FE9 PoR

Three more I did enjoy but most likely will not play more of: SoV, 3H and Awakening

I had some fun with FE1 but it's pretty limited, playing through Conquest at the moment so too early to say, and I have never been able to finish RD it just bores me way too much

I don't really hate any of them except Heroes, and that's more for its predatory nature than its actual gameplay loop. I'll divide them into 3 groups:

Would happily play again: Genealogy, Blazing Blade, Sacred Stones, Path of Radiance, New Mystery, Echoes (and TearRing Saga lol)

Not bad, but there's something that makes a replay uninviting: Gaiden, Mystery, Radiant Dawn, Shadow Dragon, Awakening, Fates

Tedious to replay in a fairly big way: FE1, Akaneia Saga, Thracia, Binding Blade, Heroes, Three Houses

Haven't played any FE spinoffs or the rest of Kaga Saga, so they're not on there.

Edited by Seafarer

• 2 weeks later...

I liked FE7, loved Echoes and have a love/hate relationship with Three Houses. (Since I love the basic gameplay but some of the map gimmicks are abhorent.)

Only played a small bit of FE1 but I Liked it so far.

Hated Awakening and Fates was so bad that I didn't even get to the route-choice before calling it quits. (and regretting my choice of a digital copy I couldn't re-sell.)

Edited by Samz707

i like around half of it at least. while the rest range from indifferent because i didnt played it (archaic FE, FE12) to borderline hate it (Fates)

while i dont want to play FE4 due to remake rumour, i've seen and know enough that im sure im going to like more than hate it (even if its problematic remake like SoV)

Actually not all that much.

Lost interest, won't purchase: Tellius duology and their false billing with Micaiah.

Won't play again: Fates Conquest and its atrocious story. Awakening for its lack of good gameplay.

Might not play the original, but interested in a remake: Jugdral

Played twice, enjoyed it: Elibe Binding Blade, Sacred Stones. Also Shadow Dragon for its value as the game that started it all.

Will play again at some point: Three Houses. Looking forward to Verdant Wind next. But geez, as much as I'm enjoying the story, the whole thing is a slog to get through.

Edited by henrymidfields