What's your stance on Monica?

What's your stance on Monica?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. How will Monica be implemented?

• She's the real one
    • It's Kronya again
    • Other

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/12/2022 at 09:38 AM

From my experiences discussing the game, she's an interestingly divisive point of discussion. I wanted to take the opportunity to talk about this character while she's still a mystery. I'm personally hoping she's the real deal.

Edited by Seazas

Definitely Kronya.

Simply because Kronya's crest is important in the story and we know that they disguise themselves as other people rather than possessing their bodies.

We know that they do crest transplants but they do it with humans, I don't think they do it themselves otherwise Solon and Thales would have Crests too.

There is also Monica using a weapon that has an icon similar to the artificial Aghartan weapon.

Plus Kronya has more fans than Monica so chances are they will do something with Kronya so they side with Shez.

Something that TWISTD were lacking in during Three Houses was depth; I personally hope that we get a lot of it for them in Three Hopes if they are present in it.* Personally, I think that a decent way to do that could be to have Kronya be a stand in for Monica again, provided that there's some kind of thing done with it- Whether it's a twist towards the end of the game revealing that it isn't real Monica, she's working for us, she's being clandestine with her identity because of the animosity to TWISTD or something else entirely. If she and/or the organization were just there as a cartoony villain or something, I don't feel like they'd be particularly worth bringing into the narrative.

*As a side note, I haven't seen the story trailers or anything 'cause I prefer to be more-or-less blind when I play a game, and story trailers can be kinda spoilery at times. If TWISTD have already been confirmed, she's probably worth bringing back as one of their members. I still do hope that there's more interesting stuff done with 'em, though.

I don't object to getting the original Monica as well either, I just think that having a developed TWISTD member would probably be more interesting than another developed student character.

Edited by Benice

To me it's weird to do the whole Kronya is Monica plot line again, but I guess it is possible if she doesn't get exposed the way she does in the original story. Something about Three Hope's narrative has to be different, like why do the three lords make peace at some point. Considering that TWSITD were a driving force in starting the original war, it seems strange for one of their spies to still be in cahoots with Edelgard. Granted we haven't seen much of Monica, she wasn't even shown in the Black Eagles showcase, but she isn't apart of the class's year anyway. The other thing is that she's was shown to be a Mage wielding a tome Sacred Weapon, and not an Assassin like Kronya. There's also her father showing up in one of the Ashen Wolves paralogues, so i feel that it's reasonable for the Ochs family to be explored more.

Part of me suspects it'll be the original Monica just because of them calling attention to her, but it doesn't really make much sense timeline-wise if Monica got killed a whole year before the start of the game.

I think its Monica. She has a new design which implies she'll survive white clouds, and from what little we see of her she comes across as calm rather than the obviously evil serial killer that ''Monica'' was after she was rescued. Didn't we also see that she had a crest of Maquil, which Kronya certainly didn't have. 

I also don't think that you can really do much with Kronya narratively. Because like all the Slitherers she's just a cartoon villain. 

2 hours ago, kratoscar2008 said:

Definitely Kronya.

Simply because Kronya's crest is important in the story and we know that they disguise themselves as other people rather than possessing their bodies.

We know that they do crest transplants but they do it with humans, I don't think they do it themselves otherwise Solon and Thales would have Crests too.

There is also Monica using a weapon that has an icon similar to the artificial Aghartan weapon.

Plus Kronya has more fans than Monica so chances are they will do something with Kronya so they side with Shez.

I don't think Kronya "having more fans" is a great point as Monica isn't really a character originally. Koei also has shown interest in doing things with Monica and her bloodline as they made her dad an actual character in the DLC. 

1 hour ago, LoneStar said:

To me it's weird to do the whole Kronya is Monica plot line again, but I guess it is possible if she doesn't get exposed the way she does in the original story. Something about Three Hope's narrative has to be different, like why do the three lords make peace at some point. Considering that TWSITD were a driving force in starting the original war, it seems strange for one of their spies to still be in cahoots with Edelgard. Granted we haven't seen much of Monica, she wasn't even shown in the Black Eagles showcase, but she isn't apart of the class's year anyway. The other thing is that she's was shown to be a Mage wielding a tome Sacred Weapon, and not an Assassin like Kronya. There's also her father showing up in one of the Ashen Wolves paralogues, so i feel that it's reasonable for the Ochs family to be explored more.

I resonate with you and Etruian emperor's points. I don't really like the idea of Kronya = Monica being rehashed. It'd be a waste considering Three Hopes is giving Caspar's father and Hilda's brother narrative value now. I would love to see Ochs family be more of a thing.

5 hours ago, kratoscar2008 said:

The colouration is a Sacred Weapon's (see image - we know Labraunda is a Sacred Weapon based on its in game glow):

Panels for Edelgard and Monica showing that both Labraunda and Wind Caller's Genesis as Sacred Weapons

We haven't (I believe) seen Agarthans in disguise 'age up' in appearance, but at the same time I'm not really expecting so see Academy Monica make an appearance.

Remember that events appear to have been altered back in 1179 (year preceding 3H proper), which would have been Monica's graduation year, and it's also impossible to infer what exactly happens during the academy year with Byleth's absence re: Edelgard's ambitions and declaration of war; but something may very well have also altered Monica's fate (e.g. if Shez was taken under Agarthan care after revival, that focus pulls away from plans to abduct Monica; and also what is so potent about Monica that she was kidnapped in the first place? Clearly she must have been as useful as Flayn was as a target).

I think we need to also consider Edelgard's use of (a) a Sacred Weapon and (b) going for a silver predominant battle armour as opposed to the overt oppressive appearance of the crimson Armoured Lord / Emperor, but what it suggests exactly I'm not sure - but it does ring as something a bit brighter than what she's shown in 3H war phase.

On the point of Agarthan crests, I feel that Shez could be a more intriguing driver of such a plot (even if it's a bit shoehorned into a Koei OC, lol).

---

tl;dr I'm hopeful this is Monica as opposed to Kronya, but what her true identity is will likely be dependent on the greater scope changes to Fodlan in the Hopes timeline.

Edited by tipperthescales

Obviously she's going to be Orson's wife

I was really hoping Sheik would be some one else other than Zelda in Hyrule Warriors as a nice little subversion, but nah, it was just the same plot twist from the 90s. Three Houses looks like it's going to be more story dependent than Warriors and probably written by the Three Houses team (haven't looked into the production side of things), but really I don't expect anything more, I don't want to say creative, but, idk, clever(?) unexpected(?) subversive(?) than the simple Kronya twist. That plus even on a basic continuity level the actual Monica running around doing anything just doesn't make a whole lot of sense given she's been missing for like a year before the game starts. But eh, maybe I'll be wrong.

EDIT: I see other people saying she's seen with a tome and a crest, which does change things considerably (if it's a reflection of the final game, sometimes trailers just aren't). Though I feel a bit miffed about her having a crest as it's a specific plot point that her father doesn't have one. Sure she could have got it from her mother, but if her mother was an important heir then why wasn't she brought up at any point?

Edited by Jotari

1 hour ago, tipperthescales said:

The colouration is a Sacred Weapon's (see image - we know Labraunda is a Sacred Weapon based on its in game glow):

Panels for Edelgard and Monica showing that both Labraunda and Wind Caller's Genesis as Sacred Weapons

We haven't (I believe) seen Agarthans in disguise 'age up' in appearance, but at the same time I'm not really expecting so see Academy Monica make an appearance.

Remember that events appear to have been altered back in 1179 (year preceding 3H proper), which would have been Monica's graduation year, and it's also impossible to infer what exactly happens during the academy year with Byleth's absence re: Edelgard's ambitions and declaration of war; but something may very well have also altered Monica's fate (e.g. if Shez was taken under Agarthan care after revival, that focus pulls away from plans to abduct Monica; and also what is so potent about Monica that she was kidnapped in the first place? Clearly she must have been as useful as Flayn was as a target).

I think we need to also consider Edelgard's use of (a) a Sacred Weapon and (b) going for a silver predominant battle armour as opposed to the overt oppressive appearance of the crimson Armoured Lord / Emperor, but what it suggests exactly I'm not sure - but it does ring as something a bit brighter than what she's shown in 3H war phase.

On the point of Agarthan crests, I feel that Shez could be a more intriguing driver of such a plot (even if it's a bit shoehorned into a Koei OC, lol).

---

tl;dr I'm hopeful this is Monica as opposed to Kronya, but what her true identity is will likely be dependent on the greater scope changes to Fodlan in the Hopes timeline.

I do wonder how Shez survival would change whatever plans they had for Monica and what were the plans for her in the first place. Still Kronya's crest is very important because of the spell so unless they created her or experimented on her on short notice after Byleth started being an annoyance. 

Edelgard armor is mostly because there is no skip in Hopes (That's what she says Shez pushed her to act after all) so she doesn't lead Adestria as emperor like in Houses. But yeah we don't know why she not using Aymr, though she has Seiros blade on her inventory when you face her and she uses it in a cutscene so it's not strange for her using a sacred weapon.

Guess it will depend how much fanservice heavy Hopes may attempt to be, if they decide to prioritize over some story bits I can see her being Kronya. If not I look forward what they do with Kronya instead.

4 hours ago, Seazas said:

I don't think Kronya "having more fans" is a great point as Monica isn't really a character originally. Koei also has shown interest in doing things with Monica and her bloodline as they made her dad an actual character in the DLC. 

I dont think them doing some small nod to Monica's family holds as much as appealing to fans if this game is indeed a fanservice game. Jury is still out there on the golden path as well so it will depend a lot on what's the main aim of this game. If they can do something with both of them then even better.

Edited by kratoscar2008
Adding quote.

Crackpot theory - Kronya will be revealed to be the Byleth that Shez hates, or some other manipulation within the game. 

Hope - Monica is Monica, and Kronya is a different but also recruitable character. (Bonus points for if they can support and possibly romance each other.) 

I think that Monica is actually an evil robot egg in disguise. Just kidding.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if this is the real Monica. My guess would be that, because our OC mercenary character survives, they end up somehow preventing Monica's abduction.

37 minutes ago, Use the Falchion said:

Crackpot theory - Kronya will be revealed to be the Byleth that Shez hates, or some other manipulation within the game. 

Hope - Monica is Monica, and Kronya is a different but also recruitable character. (Bonus points for if they can support and possibly romance each other.) 

Why would you want someone to be able to romance the person who murdered her and stole her identity?

Just now, Jotari said:

Why would you want someone to be able to romance the person who murdered her and stole her identity?

Reason 1 - Because it'd be hilarious. Hilarious in a macabre way, but hilarious all the same. I can imagine Kronya at the end of the support saying "I can't believe I was going to kill you and take your place for XYZ plot!" and Monica going "wait, WHAT." and the support ends. Still, I don't think the game would include it, which is why t's covered under bonus points.

Reason 2 - Because as far as we know about Three Hopes, technically it wouldn't have happened, so there's no party foul. Now, they might change the story to where Monica escapes TWSITD's attack and Kronya's clutches, which would change the relationship a LOT, but we don't know. Even if we did know, that doesn't mean that the characters in-game would know or find out. 

7 minutes ago, Jotari said:

I mean Robin can romance the dude who drove Emmeryn to suicide and the dude who forced Yen Fai to fight their sister.

Besides since this time Kronya did not kill her her (Assuming is the OG Monika) then I can see it happen. Specially if somehow Kronya can realize that she is disposable to Solon and Thales. Maybe do her like a combination of Peri and Jeritza. 

Since Shez enters the Officer`s Academy the same year Monica disappeared, my guess, and hope, is that the Monica we meet is the real one. Since she died before we met her, she is effectively a blank slate, a character they can do more or less anything they want with. While I would say that a Agarthan wouldn`t be caught dead wielding a weapon of (supposed) Nabatean make, like the Sacred weapons, they were willing to use and create Heroes Relics, which were litteraly made of Nabateans.

It really depends on what they do with TWSitD this time around. We aleady had Kronya replacing Monica, but we are doing a war between the three nations and timeskip again, so anything is possible really.

1 hour ago, Metal Flash said:

Since Shez enters the Officer`s Academy the same year Monica disappeared, my guess, and hope, is that the Monica we meet is the real one.

They don't. They get killed by Byleth one year before 3 Houses but they meets the Lords (And that's how Shez likely gets admitted to the academy) the same date that Byleth met the Lords.

That's why there is the incognito of how that changes the original plan of killing Monica and that's why I say it's still Kronya. I can't see why Shez surviving changes her fate. Its not like the Aghartans knew of Byleth's existance so they probably don't know about Shez either. If their plan changes at all to me it would be Kronya being tasked to stick around, otherwise Monica graduated and for some reason returns.

Edited by kratoscar2008

3 minutes ago, kratoscar2008 said:

I can't see why Shez surviving changes her fate. Its not like the Aghartans knew of Byleth's existance so they probably don't know about Shez either.

Garrag Mach works like the Japanese school year, so you start in and end in March more or less. (Spring Break is the end of the school year.) Monica's class was the one right before Edelgard/Dimitri/Claude's class, it would have gone from Spring 1179-Spring 1180. If Monica went missing before her graduation, then it would have been roughly Spring 1180 that she disappeared. Shez could have been on a mission or training around the time Monica would have been kidnapped and ended up saving her life in a way that they wouldn't have been able to do had they been dead. That's what I thought the general consensus was, anyways. 

37 minutes ago, Use the Falchion said:

Garrag Mach works like the Japanese school year, so you start in and end in March more or less. (Spring Break is the end of the school year.) Monica's class was the one right before Edelgard/Dimitri/Claude's class, it would have gone from Spring 1179-Spring 1180. If Monica went missing before her graduation, then it would have been roughly Spring 1180 that she disappeared. Shez could have been on a mission or training around the time Monica would have been kidnapped and ended up saving her life in a way that they wouldn't have been able to do had they been dead. That's what I thought the general consensus was, anyways. 

Never heard there was a consensus lol.

Anyways the Bio of Shez says that they survived against Byleth and then they were honing their skills until they meet the Lords. I dont think they will develop in between that.

However I have seen a theory saying that maybe Monica/Kronya sides with Shez regardless of route and maybe she being saved by them would allow that. 

I doubt it's Monica also because Edelgard in houses talks with Kronya and knows what happened to the original Monica so I can't see why Edelgard would stick with Monica but I can see why Kronya (I mean her kidnapping was a TWSITD thing and we know that more or less Edelgard let's them to their own devices so cant see her change that). Not to mention that Jeritza works for Edelgard, not TWSITD so Edelgard herself likely ordered her demise too for the sake of whatever TWSITD wanted).

Edited by kratoscar2008

I hope it's Kronya, but even if it's Monica I hope Kronya still has a big role in the game.

1 hour ago, Jotari said:

Because she doesn't kill her and steal her identity this time?

It's like shipping Jaffar and Leila. Obviously in order for the ship to even happen it would have to be a Jaffar that realized Nergal smelled and run away with Nino before what happens in canon. And in this what-if alternate universe I would see nothing wrong with Jaffar teaming up with the good guys and becoming friends (or perhaps more) with Leila.

1 minute ago, Jotari said:

I just don't understanding shipping on some kind of fundamental level.

It's not a ship people would seriously do because they enjoy characters together. It's something people would do because they could. (Then again, if the supports are good and the dynamic works...) Not sure if that makes it better or worse for you though.

Outside of just this one, shipping is a weird, esoteric, and often frightening thing. It's been the cause of many fandom controversies and the thing that has brough fandoms together (both in their love of a ship or their hate of another ship even more). It's perfectly fine not to understand it, and as much as I like it and have seen others love it, it's a part of fandoms that should probably be handled more responsibly than they are. It's an outlet for creative energy and catharsis, but it's also an attachment that can be incredibly unhealthy.