What's your favorite Nintendo Franchise?

PostZordem

What's your favorite Nintendo IP?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. What's your favorite Nintendo Franchise from the choices below?

• Mario
    • The Legend of Zelda
    • Pokémon
    • Kirby
    • Fire Emblem
    • Metroid
    • Animal Crossing
    • Donkey Kong
    • Pikmin
    • Super Smash Bros.

Nintendo's released a whole bunch of games exclusive to their own lineup of systems, whether it be Mario, Pokémon, Fire Emblem, or another title. These First-Party games are usually the best that Nintendo has to offer on their consoles, and are highly regarded among Nintendo fans. So today, I have created a poll to figure out what people's favorite Nintendo franchise is. 

My vote will be rather boring, but I love the series that got me into video games too much to not pick it: The Mario Series. New Super Mario Bros. Wii was my first ever Mario game back when it first released, and I've played almost every single entry, whether it be a mainline title or a spinoff game, ever since. Hell, I'll probably buy a port on a newer system even if I already had a copy of the original game (For example, Super Mario 3D All Stars, New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe, and Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury just to name a few). A shanty mate I interacted with once implied that I was a superfan of Mario, and I won't deny it because they're absolutely right. 

I've decided to make a few requirements for the poll so that we don't end up having more than 10 choices to pick from. The 3 bullet points below go over the requirements that decide whether or not a particular Nintendo IP gets placed on the poll. 

Requirements:

• Each series has to have at least 5 games released over time. Spinoffs don't count. 
  • Subseries like Luigi's Mansion and the Yoshi/Wario games won't be included since they were all created due to Mario in some way, and therefore are related to the Mario series. 
  • The newest game in each series has to have been released on the Nintendo Switch.

Honorable Mentions that didn't make the list due to not meeting the criteria listed above: Any Mario/Pokémon spinoff series, Star Fox, Splatoon, Xenoblade Chronicles, Punch-Out!, Mother/Earthbound, F-Zero, Kid Icarus, and Wii Sports.

So, now I ask my fellow members of Serenes Forest, what's your favorite Nintendo IP from the 10 that are listed in the poll?

EDIT: Super Smash Bros. technically has a vote, but when I was editing the poll, it bugged out and Smash lost its vote unfortunately (I apologize to whoever it was that voted for Smash as the fave, it won't go unacknowledged). Oddly enough, the poll still counts that person as having voted, but when you total all the votes, one extra vote is missing due to this.

Edited by CyberZord

It's a tough call. Fire Emblem has my favourite video game of all time: Path of Radiance, but for overall series, I have to say The Legend of Zelda is my favourite. Not only are a lot more of its games fantastic, but it was the series that introduced me to, and really made me interested in the fantasy genre and stuff like swords and knights and such.

Not only that, but I'm left-handed, so Link being essentially the left-handed hero was really cool and was something I really appreciated. Of course, Nintendo had to go and ruin that by making Link right-handed in Skyward Sword and Breath of the Wild...

3 hours ago, CyberZord said:
  • Each series has to have at least 5 games released over time. Spinoffs don't count. 
  • Subseries like Luigi's Mansion and the Donkey Kong/Yoshi/Wario games won't be included since they were all created due to Mario in some way, and therefore are related to the Mario series. 
  • The newest game in each series has to have been released on the Nintendo Switch.

How does Star Fox make it in under those criteria? Has it had a Switch release that I've managed to sleep through? And for that matter, how does Pikmin make it in? Not that I'm disputing the quality of either series, but they don't seem to meet your requirements. Although, I will dispute the non-inclusion of Donkey Kong. If anything, Mario is a spinoff from Donkey Kong, not the other way around.

2 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

It's a tough call. Fire Emblem has my favourite video game of all time: Path of Radiance, but for overall series, I have to say The Legend of Zelda is my favourite. Not only are a lot more of its games fantastic, but it was the series that introduced me to, and really made me interested in the fantasy genre and stuff like swords and knights and such.

I think I'd say that I'm the other way around. A Link to the Past has a strong claim to be my single favourite video game, but it doesn't have as many other games that has really held my interest as Fire Emblem does.

That said, my favourites tend to fluctuate a lot over time. Ask me today and I'll say Fire Emblem and A Link to the Past, but if you ask me agin in 6 months, you might get a completely different answer.

When I saw the title of this thread pop up I thought, how silly, asking such a question on a Fire Emblem forum. FE would obviously win. But then I saw the list and was reminded of series like Zelda and Pokémon, yeah, that's a tough one.

I voted Fire Emblem though. No matter how amazing LoZ is, FE has a strong hold on my heartstrings.

Pokémon, hands down. I've always loved this IP since I watched the anime when I was like 3 years old. Pokémon Gold was my first video game ever, and since then I've had at least 1 game for each generation. The games being the epitome of easy (except for maybe USUM and BW2 Challenge mode, although they aren't anywhere near close to hard outside of a battle or 2) is a plus for me because that makes them a chill game where I can turn off my brain and just see all the creatures the game has to offer. 

Shoutout to Majora's Mask and New Mystery because those two are some of my favorite games of all time and easily surpass many Pokémon games, but as a whole I'd still give it to Pokémon. 

1 hour ago, lenticular said:

How does Star Fox make it in under those criteria? Has it had a Switch release that I've managed to sleep through? And for that matter, how does Pikmin make it in? Not that I'm disputing the quality of either series, but they don't seem to meet your requirements. Although, I will dispute the non-inclusion of Donkey Kong. If anything, Mario is a spinoff from Donkey Kong, not the other way around.

Yeah... I had a good feeling that somebody was going to call me out on that. My "reasoning" was that Star Fox had a "presence" on Switch because Star Fox 2 wasn't localized until 2017, where it was put on the SNES classic. The Switch did get Star Fox 2 as well, but it was afterwards in 2019, so that argument falls apart. The only other thing Star Fox-related on Switch outside NSO was some Star Fox DLC for a Ubisoft game, though since Nintendo didn't develop that game, it doesn't count either. I was definitely reaching for straws when it came to Star Fox (My brain must've been in low power mode or something. My bad), so I've removed it from the poll and put it in the Honorable Mentions pile.

Pikmin only manages to barely get in because I count Pikmin 3: Deluxe as an individual title (By counting Pikmin 1, 2, 3, Hey, and 3 Deluxe, the series can qualify for the poll), despite it being a port of Pikmin 3 from Wii U to Switch. For example, Zelda: Twilight Princess (GCN/Wii) and Zelda: Twilight Princess HD (WIi U) are technically different titles because 1. The port was designed for a different system, and sports a different case + disc to boot. 2. The HD version gave the game a visual upgrade, and changed the controls to fit the system it was ported to. 3. New content was added, which makes the HD version a different release as a result.

Donkey Kong was a bit of a hard one to initially not include, because DK himself appears in a lot of Mario spinoff titles, and in the original arcade game, both Mario and DK technically debuted (But Mario got his own main series first with the original Super Mario Bros, while DK wouldn't get his own individual lineup of games until Donkey Kong Country). Though DK's Donkey Kong Country titles are unique enough to separate the series from the Mario universe (Besides, Mario never has appeared in a Donkey Kong game since Donkey Kong Jr.). So, I've decided to replace Star Fox with Donkey Kong in the poll, and have updated it now.

Edited by CyberZord

This is a tough choice mainly because of LoZ and FE. But if I had to pick one, it would be LoZ

While I would say FE is my favourite series overall, LoZ has more games that have impacted me and that I love. OOT and MM are masterpieces of games and are timeless and Skyward Sword is something I hold very close to my heart.

I like many FE games but I love very few FE. While I have less experience with LoZ since I've only played a handful of games versus having played every FE, the LoZ games I have played I love.

18 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

Not only that, but I'm left-handed, so Link being essentially the left-handed hero was really cool and was something I really appreciated. Of course, Nintendo had to go and ruin that by making Link right-handed in Skyward Sword and Breath of the Wild...

I'm right-handed, so ever since Twilight Princess for Wii came out, I felt that controlling Link felt more natural since he was also right-handed. I personally prefer the change, but that's probably just due to my dominant hand being my right one. That, and I've seen Link's right-handed sword wielding (with the shield in the left) so many times that I've gotten used to it more than the original left-handed Link.

15 hours ago, whase said:

When I saw the title of this thread pop up I thought, how silly, asking such a question on a Fire Emblem forum. FE would obviously win. But then I saw the list and was reminded of series like Zelda and Pokémon, yeah, that's a tough one.

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that Fire Emblem's got the most votes, considering that Serenes Forest is dedicated to Fire Emblem, and just about everybody on this site is a fan of FE (I mean honestly, who wouldn't be on this kind of forum?). But yeah, Nintendo's got a lot of solid IPs under their belt that are great contenders for #1, whether it be Mario, Zelda, Pokémon, Fire Emblem, or the others listed in the poll. It makes it a little hard to choose because of it, especially when we've got titles like Super Mario Odyssey, TLoZ: Breath of the Wild, Metroid Dread, Fire Emblem: Three Houses, Kirby: and The Forgotten Land, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, and many, many more to consider.

15 hours ago, Alexmender said:

The games being the epitome of easy is a plus for me because that makes them a chill game where I can turn off my brain and just see all the creatures the game has to offer. 

Pokémon's easily the easiest RPG of the genre (though Mario & Luigi comes close simply because you can counterattack every enemy turn), but I like it that way too. It serves as a great gateway RPG for people interested in the genre, and I feel that it's a great series to start off with due to its easy to understand gameplay and mechanics. The main thing that prevents me from having Pokémon as my personal favorite is that most of the mainline entries basically play the same when you break it down. Create player avatar, get introduced to new region and characters, pick one of 3 starter Pokémon, catch Pokémon, fight rival/Team "Insert name here" on several occasions, beat every gym leader, eventually catch the legendary you paid MSRP for, and defeat the final boss. Rinse and repeat for the next generation but with some sort of new gimmick to freshen it up a bit. Because of this, I can't really get myself to play Pokémon games pre-X/Y (not counting remakes), since they'll just feel like I'm repeating the same things that I've already done in X/Y and Sword/Shield (not like it'll stop me from buying Scarlet/Violet and Ultra Sun/Moon, but I'm just based like that), but more dated than the newer titles.

I can't really hate the series for following the same trends, though, because my favorite Nintendo series: Mario, also follows similar tropes for the main games. At least the spinoffs (particularly Pokémon Mystery Dungeon and Channel) did interesting things with the franchise. 

2 hours ago, CyberZord said:

I'm right-handed, so ever since Twilight Princess for Wii came out, I felt that controlling Link felt more natural since he was also right-handed. I personally prefer the change, but that's probably just due to my dominant hand being my right one. That, and I've seen Link's right-handed sword wielding (with the shield in the left) so many times that I've gotten used to it more than the original left-handed Link.

Why? Most of the time, it's just pressing a button to attack (and even in the Wii version of Twilight Princess, it was just shaking the Wii remote, i.e. waggle); why would him being right-handed feel more natural for you?

Besides, when it comes to video game protagonists, right-handed players have basically every other video game protagonist that has ever existed; let us left-handed players have this one; just one, please.

Interesting; I don't think I will get used to right-handed Link. In my head, Link is left-handed, not only because I grew up with games like Ocarina of Time and all the others, but also because, without him, there is no left-handed hero. The next best thing is Alm: Shadows of Valentia's Mary Sue protagonist that no one outside of Fire Emblem fans has ever even heard of.

Speaking of Link's handedness, I've never actually been able to play and enjoy Skyward Sword because they made its 1:1 motion controls right-handed only. If they really needed to change his handedness for the motion controls, then it should've been a choice: it should've been that, at the start of the game, it asked if the player was left-handed or right-handed, and it would have Link match for the sake of the motion controls. That was something the Switch remaster could've easily implemented, but instead, the very first thing said in the announcement was, "swing the right joy-con to swing the sword; raise the left joy-con to raise the shield". Since you said you feel more comfortable when Link is right-handed, do you at least agree that, for Skyward Sword, it should've been a choice to have Link be either left-handed or right-handed depending on the player?

23 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

Why? Most of the time, it's just pressing a button to attack (and even in the Wii version of Twilight Princess, it was just shaking the Wii remote, i.e. waggle); why would him being right-handed feel more natural for you?

Interesting; I don't think I will get used to right-handed Link. In my head, Link is left-handed, not only because I grew up with games like Ocarina of Time and all the others, but also because, without him, there is no left-handed hero. The next best thing is Alm: Shadows of Valentia's Mary Sue protagonist that no one outside of Fire Emblem fans has ever even heard of.

Speaking of Link's handedness, I've never actually been able to play and enjoy Skyward Sword because they made its 1:1 motion controls right-handed only. If they really needed to change his handedness for the motion controls, then it should've been a choice: it should've been that, at the start of the game, it asked if the player was left-handed or right-handed, and it would have Link match for the sake of the motion controls. That was something the Switch remaster could've easily implemented, but instead, the very first thing said in the announcement was, "swing the right joy-con to swing the sword; raise the left joy-con to raise the shield". Since you said you feel more comfortable when Link is right-handed, do you at least agree that, for Skyward Sword, it should've been a choice to have Link be either left-handed or right-handed depending on the player?

It's a bit of a story involving Skyward Sword, but to put it simply, the Wii's motion controls were tied to Link's sword (that he holds in his right hand), and it felt kind of immersive to move the sword in different directions with the Wii remote compared to how it worked in Twilight Princess, where a simple flick of the Wiimote would result in Link swinging the Master Sword. Skyward Sword basically got me attached to the right-handed style Link sports in more recent Zelda titles, and that's why I find it to be more natural than when he was left handed, especially since I'm a righty myself.

Now I've heard about Corrin being called a Mary Sue, but Alm? I didn't think he of all FE characters would be considered one. What about him makes you consider him a Mary Sue? No spoilers please (if there are any), I plan to begin my first playthrough of FE Echoes: Shadows of Valentia soon, and would like to go into the game blind.

The Nintendo Wii remote was primarily designed to be held in the right hand of players (mainly because most of the population is right-handed), and the add-on, the Nunchuck, was primarily designed to be held in the left hand of players. Ergo, Skyward Sword (Twilight Princess, Metroid Prime 3, etc.) was designed around this, so the Nunchuck was mostly used for movement, while the Wiimote would be used for most of the motion-related things, which can be done in either hand regardless of whether you're a righty, lefty, or ambidextrous. If a right-handed person switched the Nunchuck to their right hand and the Wii remote to their left hand and tried to play a game like Super Mario Galaxy 2, it'll feel very awkward to play the game that way compared to the marketed playstyle, and it won't work well because the controllers were not intended to be swapped around, regardless of whether you're right-handed or left-handed (for lefties, it would feel more natural to have the Wiimote in their left hand and Nunchuck in their right. Swapping the controllers around would produce the same result as mentioned in the previous sentence).

I'm going to have to disagree with you when it comes to adding left-handed controls to Skyward Sword. I believe that Nintendo had good reason not to implement them for either the Wii or Switch versions of the game. I describe why it doesn't work in the Wii version in the mini-paragraph above, and my reasoning is also similar for the Switch. Do note that there are always two pairs of Joy Cons in every set (including the ones that come with the original or OLED models), one left Joy Con for the left hand, and one right Joy Con for the right hand. It's similar in style to the way you'd hold a Wii remote and Nunchuck, but with the Switch they aren't connected by a cord that may disconnect on you randomly during a play session. Skyward Sword HD takes the Joy Cons and basically applies the Wii + Nunchuck's controls onto them (for motion control mode). Left Joy Con for movement, lock ons, and pulling up the map, while the Right Joy Con is used for swinging the sword, doing actions, controlling the camera, and pulling up the inventory (as well as the good old gyro reset button in case the motion controls start getting funky). If you swap the left and right Joy Cons and try to play SS HD, you're going to have a hard time playing it. The motion controls are definitely more for right-handed people, but the Switch version did add a button control style, which I feel works for both righties and lefties. I don't think Skyward Sword could have worked with a left-handed option, but if you've got any ideas, I'd be interested in hearing them.

Edited by CyberZord

My answer is probably expected since we're on a Fire Emblem forum, but Fire Emblem is my favorite Nintendo franchise. If I had to rank my Top 5 Nintendo franchises, it'd go Fire Emblem > The Legend of Zelda > Mario > Metroid > Super Smash Bros.

To join in on the left-handed Link vs. right-handed Link discussion, I, too, am a left-handed person and changing Link to right-handed in Skyward Sword is legitimately one of the worst things Nintendo has done. "But it's more natural!" Not for a left-handed player, it isn't. It's incredibly difficult and almost impossible for many people to reliably switch hands like that to their non-dominant hand. And insinuating that left-handed players aren't natural, intentionally or not, is, quite frankly, insulting as all heck. Stop talking. That's it. Full stop, stop talking.

Skyward Sword was virtually unplayable for me, no matter how hard I tried. There was no reason, not one single reason to not add left-handed options to SS. They already showed they could do that with as early as the Wii's launch, Wii Sports gave you the option between left-handed and right-handed. It could literally be as simple as adding a mirror mode, something very common (even back then) and clearly not too hard to do. But no, Nintendo went the objectively bad route, instead.

6 hours ago, CyberZord said:

The Nintendo Wii remote was designed to be held in the right hand of players (mainly because most of the population is right-handed), and the add-on, the Nunchuck, was designed to be held in the left hand of players. Ergo, Skyward Sword (Twilight Princess, the Mario Galaxy games, Metroid Prime 3, and any other Wii game that used the Nunchuck) was designed around this, so the Nunchuck was mostly used for movement, while the Wiimote would be used for most of the motion-related things. If you switch the Nunchuck to your right hand and the Wii remote to your left hand and try to play a game like Super Mario Galaxy 2, it'll feel very awkward to play the game that way compared to the intended play style, and it won't work well because that's not how the controllers were designed to be used.

As someone who is left-handed and had zero issues playing the Metroid Prime Trilogy, both Mario Galaxy games, Resident Evil 4 Wii Edition, Wii Sports and Wii Sports resort, and a plethora of other things, I can 100% confirm this to be not entirely true. Just the simple fact that Wii Sports, the very first Wii game that launched and was packaged with the Wii, specifically asks you to choose your handedness proves that the Wii remote and nunchuck was not specifically designed to be held in specific hands. The expectation, as early as LAUNCH DAY, was that everyone, both lefties and righties, would be able to reliably use the Wii remote in their dominant hand. And, for the most part, that was what happened. The remote itself was not specifically designed for right-handed players.

Mario Galaxy, for another example, had NOTHING in it that specifically requires your right hand or your left hand. I have no idea where you're getting that idea. It simply is not true. I've played both of those games to 100% completion (including Super Luigi Galaxy), with my left hand, and there's nothing there that requires either specific hand. Unlike Skyward Sword.

Honestly, Metroid Prime is another one. The motion controls are literally just "point the remote at the screen and shoot." Samus being right-handed had zero bearing on that. Not any bearing whatsoever. Both righties and lefties can do that (and do do that, as I can testify to) with zero issues, it works exactly the same. I don't know why you think that's something supposed to be for righties? It works exactly the same for both hands.

6 hours ago, CyberZord said:

I'm going to have to disagree with you when it comes to adding left-handed controls to Skyward Sword. I believe that Nintendo had good reason not to implement them for either the Wii or Switch versions of the game. I describe why it doesn't work in the Wii version in the mini-paragraph above, and my reasoning is also similar for the Switch. Do note that there are always two pairs of Joy Cons in every set (including the ones that come with the original or OLED models), one left Joy Con for the left hand, and one right Joy Con for the right hand. It's similar in style to the way you'd hold a Wii remote and Nunchuck, but with the Switch they aren't connected by a cord that may disconnect on you randomly during a play session. Skyward Sword HD takes the Joy Cons and basically applies the Wii + Nunchuck's controls onto them (for motion control mode). Left Joy Con for movement, lock ons, and pulling up the map, while the Right Joy Con is used for swinging the sword, doing actions, controlling the camera, and pulling up the inventory (as well as the good old gyro reset button in case the motion controls start getting funky). If you swap the left and right Joy Cons and try to play SS HD, you're going to have a hard time playing it. The motion controls are definitely more for right-handed people, but the Switch version did add a button control style, which I feel works for both righties and lefties. I don't think Skyward Sword could have worked with a left-handed option, but if you've got any ideas, I'd be interested in hearing them.

I'm sorry, but no, there is not one single reason, not one, that left-handed options couldn't be added to Skyward Sword. Other Wii games did it to perfect effect. It was just laziness, stubbornness, or both on Nintendo's part. The Wii remote wasn't specifically designed for righties and Skyward Sword SHOULDN'T have been specifically designed for righties. That is it, full stop. There's no discussion to be had. Right-handed people continuously crying "but-but more natural! just switch hands!" and other such things grew old a decade ago. I don't want to hear the "reasons" from righties anymore, they're crap and objectively wrong. Let left-handed people have a hero for once.

Edited by Fire Emblem Fan

Fire Emblem is not the only Nintendo franchise I like, but it is the only one I can consider to be among my favorite franchises.

I like 3D Mario and Kirby well enough. They're fun.

I used to love Pokemon, and maybe I'll get back into it now that my mindset is more casual and less competitive than it's ever been.

It says a lot for my indifference to Zelda that Hyrule Warriors is my favorite Zelda game. It's not even one of my top favorite Warriors games.

7 hours ago, CyberZord said:

Now I've heard about Corrin being called a Mary Sue, but Alm? I didn't think he of all FE characters would be considered one. What about him makes you consider him a Mary Sue? No spoilers please (if there are any), I plan to begin my first playthrough of FE Echoes: Shadows of Valentia soon, and would like to go into the game blind.

I really can't say too much about it without spoilers, so I'll just say that, just like Corrin, Alm unnaturally distorts the plot around him to the point where it ruins the story's themes and makes it seem like the story itself thinks that Alm's perfect.

The Nintendo Wii remote was designed to be held in the right hand of players (mainly because most of the population is right-handed), and the add-on, the Nunchuck, was designed to be held in the left hand of players. Ergo, Skyward Sword (Twilight Princess, the Mario Galaxy games, Metroid Prime 3, and any other Wii game that used the Nunchuck) was designed around this, so the Nunchuck was mostly used for movement, while the Wiimote would be used for most of the motion-related things. If you switch the Nunchuck to your right hand and the Wii remote to your left hand and try to play a game like Super Mario Galaxy 2, it'll feel very awkward to play the game that way compared to the intended play style, and it won't work well because that's not how the controllers were designed to be used.

That's not correct at all. The Wii remote and nunchuck were designed to fit comfortably in either hand. I should know; I played every Wii game with the Wii remote in my left hand and the nunchuck in my right hand. That's how I played the Wii Sports & Wii Sports Resort games, that's how I played the Metroid Prime Trilogy, that's how I played Twilight Princess, etc., and I never had any problems with the controller itself. Skyward Sword is the only case where it becomes a problem, due to the gyro controls Link being made right-handed.

Hard disagree about the Switch controls. Unlike with the Wii remote & nunchuck, the joy-cons are identical when it comes to motion-control hardware: each one has both a gyro and an accelerometer, so either can theoretically due the gyro stuff (swinging the sword, etc.) and the accelerometer stuff (raising the shield). 

Nintendo, if they had bothered, would not need to have anyone swap joy-cons (that would be uncomfortable anyway as they were not designed to fit comfortably in either hand); for a left-handed mode, they could've done a simple remapping: remap the gyro controls to the left joy-con's gyro and the accelerometer controls to the right joy-con's accelerometer (and then made Link left-handed to match). This would've meant that all the button and stick controls could be kept the same while adding a left-handed mode for left-handed players.

2 hours ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

To join in on the left-handed Link vs. right-handed Link discussion, I, too, am a left-handed person and changing Link to right-handed in Skyward Sword is legitimately one of the worst things Nintendo has done. "But it's more natural!" Not for a left-handed player, it isn't. It's incredibly difficult and almost impossible for many people to reliably switch hands like that to their non-dominant hand. And insinuating that left-handed players aren't natural, intentionally or not, is, quite frankly, insulting as all heck. Stop talking. That's it. Full stop, stop talking.

Thanks. Yeah; I fully agree, especially about how easy it would've been to just add a mirror mode for making Link left-handed. I agree with pretty much everything you said; I just can't quote it all as my reply is already rather long.

The excuses do stink; perhaps the worst ones were the ones Eiji Aonuma made about Link being right-handed in Breath of the Wild when he was asked about it in multiple interviews.

"The attack buttons are on the right side of the controller" that's true for every Nintendo console except the Wii, let Link was left-handed in prior games.

"It was a matter of chance that Link was left-handed in prior games" It was not chance; it was because Shigeru Miyamoto favours his left hand and likes creating left-handed characters; just look at Bowser Jr. for another example. (Finds out that they made Bowser Jr. right-handed in Bowser's Fury) Oh, come on, Nintendo!

There was no point whatsoever to Link being right-handed in Breath of the Wild; it was just dumb.

We're on a Fire Emblem fan forum

Fire Emblem gets the most votes

Shocked_Pikachu.jpg

...Ahem. Yeah, I went with Fire Emblem. That's... why I'm here. It's probably my all-time favorite series. Pokemon is up there for me as well. I'm more of a casual fan of the likes of Mario, Legend of Zelda, and Super Smash Bros. The others, my experience with ranges from "limited" to "none"

Anyway, I'll echo @lenticular that the inclusion of Pikmin doesn't seem quite consistent with the rules. Calling 3 Deluxe its own game is a stretch, and how is Hey! Pikmin not a "spin-off" title (which, per your rules, doesn't count)? But then again, it is your poll, and it's not like the rules actually matter. It'd be impossible to represent all the "iconic" or "marquee" franchises with only 10 poll options, so I can't fault you for picking some arbitrarily over others.

15 minutes ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Anyway, I'll echo @lenticular that the inclusion of Pikmin doesn't seem quite consistent with the rules. Calling 3 Deluxe its own game is a stretch, and how is Hey! Pikmin not a "spin-off" title (which, per your rules, doesn't count)? But then again, it is your poll, and it's not like the rules actually matter. It'd be impossible to represent all the "iconic" or "marquee" franchises with only 10 poll options, so I can't fault you for picking some arbitrarily over others.

"Hey! Pikmin is an action game in the Pikmin series developed by Arzest and published by Nintendo for the Nintendo 3DS handheld video game console. It is a standalone sequel to Pikmin 3 and is the series' first installment on a handheld console." 

I haven't played a Pikmin game due to a lack of interest in the series, but while Hey! Pikmin certainly could feel like a spinoff and could be considered one, the game could very well have taken place after 2 or 3, and could be considered canon (a main entry is usually canon, while a spinoff isn't). Since Hey! Pikmin isn't clearly stated to be either, I count it among the other Pikmin games. Also, I already went over why I count 3 Deluxe as a separate entry (not its own game, because it's just a port of Pikmin 3 on Wii U). Refer back to my reply to @lenticular for my reasoning. 

10 hours ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

As someone who is left-handed and had zero issues playing the Metroid Prime Trilogy, both Mario Galaxy games, Resident Evil 4 Wii Edition, Wii Sports and Wii Sports resort, and a plethora of other things, I can 100% confirm this to be not entirely true. Just the simple fact that Wii Sports, the very first Wii game that launched and was packaged with the Wii, specifically asks you to choose your handedness proves that the Wii remote and Nunchuck was not specifically designed to be held in specific hands. The expectation, as early as LAUNCH DAY, was that everyone, both lefties and righties, would be able to reliably use the Wii remote in their dominant hand. And, for the most part, that was what happened. The remote itself was not specifically designed for right-handed players.

Honestly, Metroid Prime is another one. The motion controls are literally just "point the remote at the screen and shoot." Samus being right-handed had zero bearing on that. Not any bearing whatsoever. Both righties and lefties can do that (and do do that, as I can testify to) with zero issues, it works exactly the same. I don't know why you think that's something supposed to be for righties? It works exactly the same for both hands.

I'm sorry, but no, there is not one single reason, not one, that left-handed options couldn't be added to Skyward Sword. Other Wii games did it to perfect effect. It was just laziness, stubbornness, or both on Nintendo's part. The Wii remote wasn't specifically designed for righties and Skyward Sword SHOULDN'T have been specifically designed for righties. That is it, full stop. There's no discussion to be had. Right-handed people continuously crying "but-but more natural! just switch hands!" and other such things grew old a decade ago. I don't want to hear the "reasons" from righties anymore, they're crap and objectively wrong. Let left-handed people have a hero for once.

If you're trying to shut me down because you assumed that I was insulting left-handed people, that's seriously low of you to do dude. Allow me to clear this up before I get to anything else in your reply. I never implied or stated that left-handed players are abnormal. There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with holding the Wiimote in your left hand and the Nunchuck in your right. Do what best suits you according to your dominant/preferred hand. You just took my words the wrong way. Where are you getting that silly idea from? 

I'll give you Mario Galaxy 1 + 2, RE4: Wii, and the Wii Sports games (and basically every Wii game except Skyward Sword and Metroid Prime 3/Trilogy). The Galaxy games and RE4 on the Wii never specify which hand to use, so it doesn't really matter there. The Wii Sports games do indeed give you the option to choose between right-handed or left-handed, and I'm not saying that the Wiimote couldn't be held in the left hand. I'm 100% positive that Nintendo took left-handed (or ambidextrous) people into account when creating the Wii, which is why most Wii games are made to suit both styles of play. What I meant (in my initial reply to vanguard333) is that the Wii Remote was generally designed to be held in the right hand of players, while the Nunchuck would be held in the left hand in order to suit the play style of right-handed people, and if a right-handed person were to try and play a game like SMG with the Wiimote in their left hand and the Nunchuck in their right, it would feel off due to how they usually play Wii games. Do keep in mind that most people in the world are righties, so it makes sense that Nintendo would try and gear the Wiimote + Nunchuck towards a right-handed style. Just by looking at most pictures (or videos) of the Wiimote and Nunchuck together, you can see this. 

I have to disagree with Metroid Prime. Since Samus is right-handed, wouldn't you want (key word here is "want", not "prefer") to point the Wiimote at the screen with your right hand while your left hand uses the Nunchuck for movement? The motion controls may be as simple as most other Wii titles, but wouldn't it feel unnatural to use the left hand to aim & shoot despite the fact that Samus aims with her right? Like how controlling a right-handed Link's sword attacks with your left hand just feels off. Besides, on the back of the Metroid Prime 3 case, you can clearly see the Nunchuck is in the left hand, and the Wiimote in the right hand (which is how Nintendo thought most players would play the game, and Samus being right-handed only adds to support this particular playstyle).

Yes, there is a good reason why Skyward Sword never got a left-handed option. If Skyward Sword had a left-handed option, it would just be Twilight Princess all over again with the GameCube and Wii (but the other way around this time). The entire game would've been mirrored in order to fit a left-handed option, because I doubt that Nintendo would want to put in the time to change Link's animations when they could simply flip the world and get the same effect. Also, there were complaints about the mirrored version of Hyrule in the Wii version of TP, and they'd probably just resurface if Skyward Sword did the same thing to fit two playstyles. Besides, we've got Skyward Sword HD on the Switch with button controls (my personal preferred method of play), so there's really no longer any need for a left-handed playstyle for the game anymore (and you can now enjoy Skyward Sword without having to worry about those pesky motion controls, so isn't that a good thing?).

Righties can't be "objectively wrong" for an opinion just because they're naturally more comfortable with using their right hand (their dominant one). A switch of hands is literally not an issue. Just play the way you feel most comfortable with, end of discussion. Lefties got heroes anyways. Sure, there aren't nearly as many compared to the righties, but at least you've got some. Do keep in mind that every Zelda game has a DIFFERENT INCARNATION of Link (excluding games like OoT and MM, or BoTW 1 + 2), so it's not like every Link is canonically right-handed. There are more left-handed Links than there are right-handed ones, so it's not like you're lacking a left-handed Hero of Time. 

2 minutes ago, CyberZord said:

If you're trying to shut me down because you assumed that I was insulting left-handed people, that's seriously low of you to do dude. Allow me to clear this up before I get to anything else in your reply. I never implied or stated that left-handed players are abnormal. There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with holding the Wiimote in your left hand and the Nunchuck in your right. Do what best suits you according to your dominant/preferred hand. You just took my words the wrong way. Where are you getting that silly idea from?

I took nothing the wrong way. When you say that the Wii remote was designed for right-handed players, and that the reason for that is because the majority of the population is right-handed, you absolutely, 100% give the implication that lefties are abnormal, whether you meant to or not. I'll even quote it back to you again:

19 hours ago, CyberZord said:

The Nintendo Wii remote was designed to be held in the right hand of players (mainly because most of the population is right-handed)

You even did it again:

12 minutes ago, CyberZord said:

Do keep in mind that most people in the world are righties

So, no, don't you dare start telling me I'm taking a low blow, or that I'm getting silly ideas. You implied it, whether you meant to or not, just own up to it and don't do it again.

14 minutes ago, CyberZord said:

What I meant (in my initial reply to vanguard333) is that the Wii Remote was generally designed to be held in the right hand of players, while the Nunchuck would be held in the left hand in order to suit the play style of right-handed people, and if a right-handed person were to try and play a game like SMG with the Wiimote in their left hand and the Nunchuck in their right, it would feel off due to how they usually play Wii games. Do keep in mind that most people in the world are righties, so it makes sense that Nintendo would try and gear the Wiimote + Nunchuck towards a right-handed style. Just by looking at most pictures (or videos) of the Wiimote and Nunchuck together, you can see this. 

And, again, that's wrong. The Wii remote was not generally designed to be held in the right hand, that's exactly why almost every game on the Wii can be played comfortably, reliably, and exactly the same, for both righties and lefties. By your own admission...

17 minutes ago, CyberZord said:

I'll give you Mario Galaxy 1 + 2, RE4: Wii, and the Wii Sports games (and basically every Wii game except Skyward Sword and Metroid Prime 3/Trilogy).

...basically every Wii game is not designed with any specific handedness in mind. If the Wii remote was generally designed to be held in the right hand, then those games would be designed similarly. But they're not, because the Wii remote was not generally designed to be in either the left or the right hand.

22 minutes ago, CyberZord said:

I have to disagree with Metroid Prime. Since Samus is right-handed, wouldn't you want (key word here is "want", not "prefer") to point the Wiimote at the screen with your right hand while your left hand uses the Nunchuck for movement? The motion controls may be as simple as most other Wii titles, but wouldn't it feel unnatural to use the left hand to aim & shoot despite the fact that Samus aims with her right? Like how controlling a right-handed Link's sword attacks with your left hand just feels off. Besides, on the back of the Metroid Prime 3 case, you can clearly see the Nunchuck is in the left hand, and the Wiimote in the right hand (which is how Nintendo thought most players would play the game, and Samus being right-handed only adds to support this particular playstyle).

No, I would not want nor would I prefer it. No, it does not feel unnatural to use my left hand to aim & shoot, despite the fact that Samus uses her right (hmm there's that unnatural lefty implication again...). It is literally exactly the same as Resident Evil 4.

Comparing Metroid Prime and Skyward Sword is a bad comparison. In Skyward Sword, you have very specific motions and movements that are required to play the game. Metroid Prime does not have that, you literally just point the remote at the screen, just like RE4 and a plethora of other Wii games where the protagonists are righties. This specificness makes comparing SS and MP a bad comparison. And, I'm sorry, but the demonstration on the back of the box is a poor argument, it doesn't support a single thing about any right-handed playstyle, it very literally just means that the hand model they used just so happened to be a righty. Lol.

35 minutes ago, CyberZord said:

Yes, there is a good reason why Skyward Sword never got a left-handed option. If Skyward Sword had a left-handed option, it would just be Twilight Princess all over again with the GameCube and Wii (but the other way around this time). The entire game would've been mirrored in order to fit a left-handed option, because I doubt that Nintendo would want to put in the time to change Link's animations when they could simply flip the world and get the same effect. Also, there were complaints about the mirrored version of Hyrule in the Wii version of TP, and they'd probably just resurface if Skyward Sword did the same thing to fit two playstyles. Besides, we've got Skyward Sword HD on the Switch with button controls (my personal preferred method of play), so there's really no longer any need for a left-handed playstyle for the game anymore (and you can now enjoy Skyward Sword without having to worry about those pesky motion controls, so isn't that a good thing?).

No, there is not a good reason why Skyward Sword never got a left-handed option. Not one, single good reason, none whatsoever. What you're failing to understand about the Skyward Sword vs. Twilight Princess comparison is that the change in TP was pointless. There were no specific movements or motions to make, nor was there any real implementation of motion controls other than a very simple flick of the wrist, easily done by everyone, both righties and lefties. Because of that, mirroring the game was pointless, and that's why a lot of people didn't like the change.

That would not be the case with Skyward Sword, because it does use specific motions and movements. If you keep that, and then mirror the game, you're doing exactly what needs to be done for lefties to have an option. There would not be any complaints like there was for TP, because it isn't a pointless addition or change, it's a practical one that's serving a purpose and allows your left-handed audience to actually experience your game.  Lefties are essentially doing the motions backwards, and SS does not register that in any way that could be considered passable, it simply does not work very well. A mirror mode for lefties fixes this entirely. You literally just have to have people pick what their handedness is on the main menu when they start a new game. Righties select the right-handed option and get what we have now, lefties select the lefty option and the game gets mirrored. It's such a simple, easy, practical solution that, again, would have been incredibly easy to implement.

There is no good reason, not one, why SS never got a lefty option.

43 minutes ago, CyberZord said:

Righties can't be "objectively wrong" for an opinion just because they're naturally more comfortable with using their right hand (their dominant one). A switch of hands is literally not an issue. Just play the way you feel most comfortable with, end of discussion. Lefties got heroes anyways. Sure, there aren't nearly as many compared to the righties, but at least you've got some. Do keep in mind that every Zelda game has a DIFFERENT INCARNATION of Link (excluding games like OoT and MM, or BoTW 1 + 2), so it's not like every Link is canonically right-handed. There are more left-handed Links than there are right-handed ones, so it's not like you're lacking a left-handed Hero of Time. 

You're not objectively wrong for being naturally comfortable for using your dominant hand. You're objectively wrong for continuously, over the span of a whole decade, belittling lefties and continuously telling us that a switch of hands is not an issue, when it actually is. You are objectively wrong for telling us for a decade that it isn't a big deal, that it's good that there was never a lefty option, that it's more natural for righties, and whatever else have you. You are objectively wrong, you're continuously (even now, in your posts) trying to inject your right-handedness in and telling us how we're supposed to feel about it. You aren't having a discussion. Heck, even now in the paragraph I'm specifically replying to (and your whole post, honestly), I can just feel the condescension dripping off of it ("Do KeEp In MiNd ThAt EvErY ZeLdA gAmE hAs..."). Whether you mean it or not, whether you want to admit you've implied it or not, it's definitely present, and it's ridiculous.

I say again, let lefties have it for once, and stop talking. You are, in fact, objectively wrong.

45 minutes ago, CyberZord said:

I played all three Metroid Prime games on my Wii U using the Wii remote and nunchuck, while holding the wii remote in my left hand and the nunchuck in my right. It wasn't awkward at all, as my eyes were mainly fixed on the target and where I was wanting to aim, not on Samus' arm cannon. And I definitely would not have wanted to hold the remote & nunchuck in opposite hands; aiming with my left hand is more natural than with my right, regardless of what hand the character is using on-screen, as using my left hand is faster and more precise than my right hand, especially when it comes to stuff like hand-eye coordination.

51 minutes ago, CyberZord said:

Yes, there is a good reason why Skyward Sword never got a left-handed option. If Skyward Sword had a left-handed option, it would just be Twilight Princess all over again with the GameCube and Wii (but the other way around this time). The entire game would've been mirrored in order to fit a left-handed option, because I doubt that Nintendo would want to put in the time to change Link's animations when they could simply flip the world and get the same effect. Also, there were complaints about the mirrored version of Hyrule in the Wii version of TP, and they'd probably just resurface if Skyward Sword did the same thing to fit two playstyles.

Besides, we've got Skyward Sword HD on the Switch with button controls (my personal preferred method of play), so there's really no longer any need for a left-handed playstyle for the game anymore (and you can now enjoy Skyward Sword without having to worry about those pesky motion controls, so isn't that a good thing?).

That is not a good reason. The very example you're using shows that Nintendo is not above mirroring a game just for the sake of motion controls; they're just apparently only willing to do so for right-handed audiences.

Quick side-note: I have always thought that Nintendo mirroring the Wii version of Twilight Princess to make Link right-handed for the motion controls was pointless; it was just pointer-controls and waggle; nothing affected by the character's handedness. I should know; I played through Twilight Princess with the wii remote in my left hand and the nunchuck in my right, and it was perfectly fine outside of constantly thinking, "Link should be left-handed; he's the left-handed hero. This change was pointless."

Seriously; you're arguing that button controls are enough to make it that the game doesn't need a left-handed mode? The game that was advertised on the idea that you could swing the sword yourself using the 1:1 motion controls, is now fine for lefties because they have button controls now? I wanted to be able to swing the Master Sword in my hand like the game was built for, I should be allowed that option. Instead, if I want to actually play the game, I'm confined to the button controls that the game was not built around. In other words, I'd have only one option while right-handed players have 2 options. That's not enough. Button controls do not fix the problem.

Also, thanks for completely ignoring everything I pointed out earlier and instead only replying to @Fire Emblem Fan (sarcasm).

The Legend of Zelda for me. Zelda has always been my #1 video game series, ever since I was old enough to hold a controller. Link is one of my favorite heroes, Zelda is one of my favorite game girls, the medieval setting of Hyrule really appeals to me, and the gameplay is satisfying.

I also like Donkey Kong Country for the scenery and music. Gameplay's good too. I miss the Kremlings though, hope to see them return preferably with a pirate aesthetic like in DKC2.

Super Smash Bros. is another favorite for the gameplay, variety of characters, and overall coolness factor of a crossover platform fighter. Especially since more recent entries have been leaning hard into nerd references, like one of Simon's victory animations referencing a glitch from the original NES game.

No Star Fox? That's one of my favorites too, mostly for the music and Krystal.

4 hours ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

I took nothing the wrong way. When you say that the Wii remote was designed for right-handed players, and that the reason for that is because the majority of the population is right-handed, you absolutely, 100% give the implication that lefties are abnormal, whether you meant to or not. I'll even quote it back to you again:

You even did it again:

So, no, don't you dare start telling me I'm taking a low blow, or that I'm getting silly ideas. You implied it, whether you meant to or not, just own up to it and don't do it again.

And, again, that's wrong. The Wii remote was not generally designed to be held in the right hand, that's exactly why almost every game on the Wii can be played comfortably, reliably, and exactly the same, for both righties and lefties. By your own admission...

...basically every Wii game is not designed with any specific handedness in mind. If the Wii remote was generally designed to be held in the right hand, then those games would be designed similarly. But they're not, because the Wii remote was not generally designed to be in either the left or the right hand.

No, I would not want nor would I prefer it. No, it does not feel unnatural to use my left hand to aim & shoot, despite the fact that Samus uses her right (hmm there's that unnatural lefty implication again...). It is literally exactly the same as Resident Evil 4.

Comparing Metroid Prime and Skyward Sword is a bad comparison. In Skyward Sword, you have very specific motions and movements that are required to play the game. Metroid Prime does not have that, you literally just point the remote at the screen, just like RE4 and a plethora of other Wii games where the protagonists are righties. This specificness makes comparing SS and MP a bad comparison. And, I'm sorry, but the demonstration on the back of the box is a poor argument, it doesn't support a single thing about any right-handed playstyle, it very literally just means that the hand model they used just so happened to be a righty. Lol.

No, there is not a good reason why Skyward Sword never got a left-handed option. Not one, single good reason, none whatsoever. What you're failing to understand about the Skyward Sword vs. Twilight Princess comparison is that the change in TP was pointless. There were no specific movements or motions to make, nor was there any real implementation of motion controls other than a very simple flick of the wrist, easily done by everyone, both righties and lefties. Because of that, mirroring the game was pointless, and that's why a lot of people didn't like the change.

That would not be the case with Skyward Sword, because it does use specific motions and movements. If you keep that, and then mirror the game, you're doing exactly what needs to be done for lefties to have an option. There would not be any complaints like there was for TP, because it isn't a pointless addition or change, it's a practical one that's serving a purpose and allows your left-handed audience to actually experience your game.  Lefties are essentially doing the motions backwards, and SS does not register that in any way that could be considered passable, it simply does not work very well. A mirror mode for lefties fixes this entirely. You literally just have to have people pick what their handedness is on the main menu when they start a new game. Righties select the right-handed option and get what we have now, lefties select the lefty option and the game gets mirrored. It's such a simple, easy, practical solution that, again, would have been incredibly easy to implement.

There is no good reason, not one, why SS never got a lefty option.

You're not objectively wrong for being naturally comfortable for using your dominant hand. You're objectively wrong for continuously, over the span of a whole decade, belittling lefties and continuously telling us that a switch of hands is not an issue, when it actually is. You are objectively wrong for telling us for a decade that it isn't a big deal, that it's good that there was never a lefty option, that it's more natural for righties, and whatever else have you. You are objectively wrong, you're continuously (even now, in your posts) trying to inject your right-handedness in and telling us how we're supposed to feel about it. You aren't having a discussion. Heck, even now in the paragraph I'm specifically replying to (and your whole post, honestly), I can just feel the condescension dripping off of it ("Do KeEp In MiNd ThAt EvErY ZeLdA gAmE hAs..."). Whether you mean it or not, whether you want to admit you've implied it or not, it's definitely present, and it's ridiculous.

I say again, let lefties have it for once, and stop talking. You are, in fact, objectively wrong.

You are taking everything I'm saying completely out of proportion again. Why? Is it because you can't accept that it is a 100% proven fact that there are more right-handed people in the world than left-handed people? There are literally more important minorities to worry about, whether it be related to race, culture, or a belief (which are to be discussed in the Serious discussion forum). Why take what I'm saying so seriously? This discussion is getting ridiculous and out of hand. Getting offended because of something I never intentionally said is seriously absurd and this argument needs to stop right now.

The whole left-hand vs right-hand argument was between me and vanguard333, and you had absolutely no right to just come in and get on my case for what you claimed I said. Sure, you can state why you think I'm wrong about a certain playstyle or whatever, but straight up attacking me because you took something I said out of context isn't appropriate.

So just because I factually state that Samus is a righty, I'm implying that lefties are unnatural? Does that mean Nintendo is implying that left-handed people are unnatural, too? Are ambidextrous people being misrepresented simply because a fictional character isn't also ambidextrous? No, it really doesn't. Which hand you prefer to use is really a discussion that shouldn't have been brought up in the first place, because it simply doesn't matter (which is the main point I'm getting at in this entire reply, please make sure that you keep this in mind), regardless of whether you're right-handed, left-handed or ambidextrous. 

Really? Comparing two games with right-handed silent protagonists from the SAME COMPANY is "a bad comparison"? What? Was the fact that they're both properties of Nintendo not enough for you??? I refer to the back of that Metroid Prime 3 box because it directly shows the an offscreen person holding the Wiimote + Nunchuck in a very certain way. Oh wait a minute... It's the way that Nintendo has always marketed how people hold those things. It's like that's how they (not me, I can't stress this enough) perceive the player would hold their Wiimotes! Literally every single Nintendo Wii game made that shows a disembodied hand holding a Wii remote holds it in the right hand every. single. time. There has almost never been a left hand holding a Wii remote illustrated onto the box, never. This proves that Nintendo DID in general, design the Wii Remote with the idea that it would go in a person's right hand (they marketed the entire freakin' Wii towards right-handed people. Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword easily prove this with their right-hand focus). That is something that THEY straight-up assumed with their playerbase, not me. You should be going after them for directly showing that playstyle almost every single time, not once truly considering to properly show how a left-handed playstyle would look.

Seriously, don't ever compare me to the likes of those right-handed people who say crap like that. You're just pushing everything you said about THOSE people onto me because I unintentionally upset you. Not everybody thinks like that, and if you can't accept that simple fact, then you've been wrong about this whole thing from the very start.

You're essentially telling me to sit down and shut up because I apparently said something that you very clearly STRONGLY disagree with. You're borderline cyberbullying me right now, especially when you're mocking what I said in little quotations. Why can't you be more open-minded like vanguard333 (or better yet, just do what everybody else did on this thread and simply say what their favorite Nintendo IP was/vote and leave)? vanguard333 never had an issue with my alleged "left-handed people are weird because they're not like us right-handed folk" claim (or at least, they didn't care enough to say it in their replies) and instead chose to discuss what they disagreed with and backed it up with solid points.

(Everything from this point on up to the very last line is 1000% serious, and I want you to take it as such despite what I may have previously said in this reply and the others) Look, if something I say happens to rub you the wrong way, please just approach me (preferably through a DM) and ask for clarification on what I said rather than flat out assume that I was being a Dick Gumshoe and have a prejudice against you and your fellow left-handed group of people (I don't btw). Context really goes a long way, and can prevent arguments like this from spawning in the future.

Believe me, despite what everything I have said in this thread may have come across to you as (and how antagonistic I may appear), I truly don't wish to be doing this with you right now. You and I are better than this, neither one of us are completely in the right OR completely in the wrong either (We were better about this in my Pokémon Best Gen discussion, for instance, We had our differences, but didn't get into a heated discussion despite our differing opinions). I'll be the bigger man and say that I'm sorry. I'm sorry if I said something that might've come across as insulting or negative towards any person or group. It was never my intention, and I truly don't have a superiority complex where right-handed people are "better" than left-handed or ambidextrous people, that's just plain untrue and objectively false. 

This argument has been pointless from the very beginning. So what if I like to hold a Wiimote in my right hand? So what if you prefer to hold it in your left hand? Does that really affect anything at all? (Spoiler Alert: It doesn't, the controls work either way) It's literally just a matter of preference, and I just want to leave it at that. Right-handed, Left-handed, and Ambidextrous People are all on an equal level. Not one is better than the others, and not one is worse than the others. That's all I've got to say regarding this topic now, and I won't be commenting on this matter any further. I hope you'll accept my apology and that we can get back to simply just discussing things we do and don't like with more of an open mind in the future.

4 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

I played all three Metroid Prime games on my Wii U using the Wii remote and nunchuck, while holding the wii remote in my left hand and the nunchuck in my right. It wasn't awkward at all, as my eyes were mainly fixed on the target and where I was wanting to aim, not on Samus' arm cannon. And I definitely would not have wanted to hold the remote & nunchuck in opposite hands; aiming with my left hand is more natural than with my right, regardless of what hand the character is using on-screen, as using my left hand is faster and more precise than my right hand, especially when it comes to stuff like hand-eye coordination.

That is not a good reason. The very example you're using shows that Nintendo is not above mirroring a game just for the sake of motion controls; they're just apparently only willing to do so for right-handed audiences.

Quick side-note: I have always thought that Nintendo mirroring the Wii version of Twilight Princess to make Link right-handed for the motion controls was pointless; it was just pointer-controls and waggle; nothing affected by the character's handedness. I should know; I played through Twilight Princess with the wii remote in my left hand and the nunchuck in my right, and it was perfectly fine outside of constantly thinking, "Link should be left-handed; he's the left-handed hero. This change was pointless."

Seriously; you're arguing that button controls are enough to make it that the game doesn't need a left-handed mode? The game that was advertised on the idea that you could swing the sword yourself using the 1:1 motion controls, is now fine for lefties because they have button controls now? I wanted to be able to swing the Master Sword in my hand like the game was built for, I should be allowed that option. Instead, if I want to actually play the game, I'm confined to the button controls that the game was not built around. In other words, I'd have only one option while right-handed players have 2 options. That's not enough. Button controls do not fix the problem.

Also, thanks for completely ignoring everything I pointed out earlier and instead only replying to @Fire Emblem Fan (sarcasm).

Look, I'm sorry for not responding to what you said to me in your previous reply. I did read through it, but I would've basically argued the exact same thing I already told you, so I chose to instead only reply to Fire Emblem Fan. That, and I'm losing the will to even bother (I don't even have it in me to properly respond to what you just put in this reply, which is something I'll also apologize for). You seem to have a very firm belief in what you say, and I can respect that, but I feel that you and Fire Emblem Fan are ganging up on me for my right-handed preference (Though I'll give you props for being very mature and backing up your points with solid reasoning). I liked our previous discussions, and I don't want something like this to destroy our fun discussions that we've had across various threads. I'm not sure how you feel about Fire Emblem Fan's claim that I said/implicated that left-handed people are abnormal. I honestly didn't intend to say such a thing, but I apologize if I did offend you in any way. I'm tired of talking about this whole thing in this thread. At this point, I'll only discuss it in DMs, so if you really want to continue this conversation, please do it there.

I'm seriously regretting even creating this godforsaken thread in the first place. I've said my final piece in regards to this whole left-hand vs right-hand argument, and I won't be discussing it anymore on this thread. 

You are taking everything I'm saying completely out of proportion again. Why? Is it because you can't accept that it is a 100% proven fact that there are more right-handed people in the world than left-handed people? There are literally more important minorities to worry about, whether it be related to race, culture, or a belief (which are to be discussed in the Serious discussion forum). Why take what I'm saying so seriously? This discussion is getting ridiculous and out of hand. Getting offended because of something I never intentionally said is seriously absurd and this argument needs to stop right now.

If you think that's what's going on then you have absolutely no idea about what I'm actually saying, you're completely missing everything, and I genuinely can't tell if it's on purpose or not. There wasn't even really an argument about there being more right-handed people in the world?

The whole left-hand vs right-hand argument was between me and vanguard333, and you had absolutely no right to just come in and get on my case for what you claimed I said. Sure, you can state why you think I'm wrong about a certain playstyle or whatever, but straight up attacking me because you took something I said out of context isn't appropriate.

This is a public forum where, if you open a topic, people are going to respond. People are supposed to respond. I absolutely had every right join the discussion, whether you like it or not.

I did not attack you. Pointing out that what you said is insulting, whether you meant it to be or not, is not an attack, nor is saying you shouldn't do it again.

So just because I factually state that Samus is a righty, I'm implying that lefties are unnatural? 

That is not what I said, and you know it. I even quoted your direct words on the matter and Samus wasn't part of that specific portion. And you know it.

And I wasn't the one to bring up handedness in the first place, don't start acting like I'm some big bad villain for this discussion.

Really? Comparing two games with right-handed silent protagonists from the SAME COMPANY is "a bad comparison"? What? Was the fact that they're both properties of Nintendo not enough for you???

Once again, you're not getting it, and I can't tell if it's on purpose or not. I pretty clearly described why it's a bad comparison. It's not the company, or the protagonists, and you know it. I'm starting to think you're doing this on purpose.

I refer to the back of that Metroid Prime 3 box because it directly shows the an offscreen person holding the Wiimote + Nunchuck in a very certain way. Oh wait a minute... It's the way that Nintendo has always marketed how people hold those things. It's like that's how they (not me, I can't stress this enough) perceive the player would hold their Wiimotes! Literally every single Nintendo Wii game made that shows a disembodied hand holding a Wii remote holds it in the right hand every. single. time. There has almost never been a left hand holding a Wii remote illustrated onto the box, never. This proves that Nintendo DID in general, design the Wii Remote with the idea that it would go in a person's right hand (they marketed the entire freakin' Wii towards right-handed people. Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword easily prove this with their right-hand focus). That is something that THEY straight-up assumed with their playerbase, not me. You should be going after them for directly showing that playstyle almost every single time, not once truly considering to properly show how a left-handed playstyle would look.

It. Was. Not. Generally. Made. With. Any. Specific. Handedness. In. Mind. The games for the system prove that. And yes, the games are the most important thing, and you're ignoring all of them. Skyward Sword is the one, singular huge exception and, as you know, many people had an issue with that.

The hand models on the back of the box and the commercials on TV and whatever else mean NOTHING in terms of that, and I cannot stress that enough. Was there any advertisement where they said "look at these happy right-handed people with their right-hand game"? No, there wasn't, because the Wii was not designed or marketed towards any specific handedness. It doesn't prove anything you claim it does. The fact that you think it means the Wii was generally made for righties is honestly very silly.

Seriously, don't ever compare me to the likes of those right-handed people who say crap like that. You're just pushing everything you said about THOSE people onto me because I unintentionally upset you. Not everybody thinks like that, and if you can't accept that simple fact, then you've been wrong about this whole thing from the very start.

I haven't compared you to anyone, nor have I pushed anything onto you. All I have done is literally quote your EXACT. WORDS. And responded to that.

Maybe you need to take a good, long look in the mirror before you start telling people they're wrong or unable to accept things.

You're borderline cyberbullying me right now, especially when you're mocking what I said in little quotations. Why can't you be more open-minded like vanguard333 (or better yet, just do what everybody else did on this thread and simply say what their favorite Nintendo IP was/vote and leave)? vanguard333 never had an issue with my alleged "left-handed people are weird because they're not like us right-handed folk" claim (or at least, they didn't care enough to say it in their replies) and instead chose to discuss what they disagreed with and backed it up with solid points.

Ah, yes, the victim card. Again, don't start acting like I'm some big bad villain here. You haven't been cyberbullied, borderline or otherwise. And you know it, I know you do.

I've brought up plenty of solid points. You've just chosen to ignore them because you apparently don't want to acknowledge that what you've said has negative implications. And the points you have acknowledged have been misused (I'm suspecting intentionally, but again, I can't tell) to fuel this victim schpeel you're on.

Look, if something I say happens to rub you the wrong way, please just approach me (preferably through a DM) and ask for clarification on what I said rather than flat out assume that I was being a Dick Gumshoe and have a prejudice against you and your fellow left-handed group of people (I don't btw). Context really goes a long way, and can prevent arguments like this from spawning in the future.

Again, pointing out that what you said has negative implications is not an attack.

I'll be the bigger man and say that I'm sorry. I'm sorry if I said something that might've come across as insulting or negative towards any person or group. It was never my intention, and I truly don't have a superiority complex where right-handed people are "better" than left-handed or ambidextrous people, that's just plain untrue and objectively false. 

This argument has been pointless from the very beginning.

See, "I'll be the bigger man" is the kind of thing that makes me think you aren't being genuine. You're really playing this up like you're being beaten to death and that isn't what's happened. You said something that had negative implications, you refused to own up to it and stop doing it, and now that that hasn't worked you're acting like you've been shot.

You're right, this has been pointless, but only because you've made it so. I am sorry if you've taken anything I've said the wrong way, but you really need to examine how you present yourself if this is your reaction to someone pointing out negative implications in your words.

Edit: I don't tell people to stop talking just for saying things I disagree with. I don't tell people to shut up for having a different opinion. You need to stop talking when you say things like "switching hands isn't a big deal" or "wouldn't you want to play like THIS instead?" or things like that where you're speaking as if you know better than a left-handed person about their comfort, preferences, or whatever else, because you really have NO idea and absolutely DON'T know better.

Edited by Fire Emblem Fan

5 hours ago, CyberZord said:

Look, I'm sorry for not responding to what you said to me in your previous reply. I did read through it, but I would've basically argued the exact same thing I already told you, so I chose to instead only reply to Fire Emblem Fan. That, and I'm losing the will to even bother (I don't even have it in me to properly respond to what you just put in this reply, which is something I'll also apologize for). You seem to have a very firm belief in what you say, and I can respect that, but I feel that you and Fire Emblem Fan are ganging up on me for my right-handed preference (Though I'll give you props for being very mature and backing up your points with solid reasoning). I liked our previous discussions, and I don't want something like this to destroy our fun discussions that we've had across various threads. I'm not sure how you feel about Fire Emblem Fan's claim that I said/implicated that left-handed people are abnormal. I honestly didn't intend to say such a thing, but I apologize if I did offend you in any way. I'm tired of talking about this whole thing in this thread. At this point, I'll only discuss it in DMs, so if you really want to continue this conversation, please do it there.

I'm seriously regretting even creating this godforsaken thread in the first place. I've said my final piece in regards to this whole left-hand vs right-hand argument, and I won't be discussing it anymore on this thread. 

My apologies for assuming the worst earlier. I've been on the internet long enough to have been in arguments with people who would just blatantly ignore any counterargument that they couldn't refute and either just repeat their original argument or selectively respond to only the stuff the could refute and pretend the other counterarguments never happened, so part of me thought that that was happening here. I'm sorry.

I definitely wasn't trying to gang up on you or anything like that; what happened earlier with me and fire emblem fan seemingly replying back-to-back was actually something the forum games topics call getting ninja'd; when you're about to post a reply to something only for someone else to reply to it seconds before you.

13 hours ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

You're right, this has been pointless, but only because you've made it so. I am sorry if you've taken anything I've said the wrong way, but you really need to examine how you present yourself if this is your reaction to someone pointing out negative implications in your words.

Edit: I originally had a lot more stuff here that I was going to say to you, but I don't want to keep arguing, so I'm only keeping in the heart-to-heart stuff.

Look, I've admitted fault and am willing to learn from this, regardless of what you may think of me or what you take away from what I say. We both messed up, that's the truth, and I hope that you can also accept that fact. Like I said before, I want us to discuss things the way we did in my Pokémon thread, because I KNOW that we're both better than this.

I've said my piece. Whether you truly believe me or not, I've told you that I was sorry, I've admitted that I was wrong for what I said, whether I knew it or not. I've shown that I can concede points I once disagreed with, and I am making sure this argument ends now. I expect that you'll respond to this as soon as you see it. Whether you agree with any of my points or not, I want you to know that I consider this argument over, and I won't be responding in relation to it anymore. Hopefully you understand and consider this argument done too. Let's put this behind us and discuss something else in another thread.

11 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

My apologies for assuming the worst earlier. I've been on the internet long enough to have been in arguments with people who would just blatantly ignore any counterargument that they couldn't refute and either just repeat their original argument or selectively respond to only the stuff the could refute and pretend the other counterarguments never happened, so part of me thought that that was happening here. I'm sorry.

I definitely wasn't trying to gang up on you or anything like that; what happened earlier with me and fire emblem fan seemingly replying back-to-back was actually something the forum games topics call getting ninja'd; when you're about to post a reply to something only for someone else to reply to it seconds before you.

Thanks for being very understanding on this whole thing. Trying to respond to two people with hefty arguments relating to a similar topic is rather overwhelming. I would never ignore somebody's counterargument, and I'll read through it and take it into account whether I agree with it myself or not. I believe that an opinion should be heard, and I apologize again for not properly addressing it. This whole (left-hand vs right-hand) situation's just really wearing me down at this point, and I never wanted it to blow up like it did. My offer for privately discussing this matter further through DMs is still up if you want to continue our particular conversation. I promise that I'll properly address your arguments if you do reach out to me. 

This whole argument has really gotten out of hand to be honest. I'm not going to lie, I should've considered left-handed people more when it came to Skyward Sword (Whether it be the original or HD versions). I should've agreed with you from the very beginning (maybe this whole thing wouldn't have turned out this way). Nintendo definitely had some sort of weak reasoning when it came to not adding a left-handed option in the original Wii version, and even less when they had a second chance to add it in for the HD Switch port. Button controls really isn't enough to fix that issue (though I personally love the new button controls over the motion controls as a right-handed person), and it's a shame that it's the only option you left-handed people have when it comes to playing Skyward Sword without feeling off. 

Anyways, that's all I really got to say (because I just love to contradict myself, sarcasm intended). I'm sure we'll see each other in another thread somewhere down the line, and I hope we can have fun conversations that don't lead to this mess of a thread in the future. 

Edited by CyberZord
Trying to patch things up with Fire Emblem Fan

21 minutes ago, Lord_Brand said:

I'm hoping a mod can just delete the arguments and get the topic back on track.

Is that really necessary now that the argument's over?

Anyway, as for having the topic back on track, I already mentioned that The Legend of Zelda is my favourite series despite Fire Emblem having my favourite game. Of the franchises on the list, the order would probably be the following:

1. The Legend of Zelda
  2. Fire Emblem
  3. Smash Bros.
  4. Mario
  5. Pokémon
  6. Metroid
  7. Kirby
  8. Pikmin

Disqualified (as I've never played any game in the series): Donkey Kong

I should note that this is not strictly a reflection of the overall quality of the games in these series (otherwise Metroid would be above Pokémon); it's more of a mix of personal opinion, opinion on my favourite games in these franchises, opinion on the overall series, and familiarity with the series.

Kirby and Pikmin for example are at the bottom because, for each of them, I've only played one game: Kirby and the Forgotten Land and Pikmin 3 respectively. These games were quite fun, but one game is not enough for me to have strong opinion on a franchise as a whole.

I definitely enjoyed the Metroid games that I have played: namely the Prime trilogy, Super Metroid and Metroid Dread. However, I only began playing the Metroid games about half a year ago, and even though I enjoyed these games a lot, I liked the Prime series despite them being FPS games, as first-person games are not my cup of tea. Don't get me wrong; making them first-person was definitely a smart choice and the games definitely utilize them well, every time I struggle with the platforming or lack of peripheral vision, I'm reminded of why I dislike first-person games. Even for the 2D games, while they're great fun, the Metroidvania format is not entirely my cup of tea. They're a lot like playing one huge Zelda dungeon, which sounds great on paper, but I love exploring Zelda overworlds as well as their dungeons; the two complement each other.

Pokémon definitely loses points for me because of how the more recent games have been very rushed. But I still have plenty of nostalgia for the gen 4 games, the formula is still fun, and Pokémon Legends Arceus in particular definitely reignited my enjoyment of the series despite the game's shortcomings.

When it comes to the Mario games, I've generally been more of a fan of the 3D platformers rather than the 2D platformers, and those are the ones that I've mainly played. I didn't enjoy Mario Odyssey as much as most people (the lack of a hub world, the more creative worlds often just being boss arenas, the lack of evolution in the sidequests, and the sheer amount of pointless moons all really dragged the game down for me), but I do really like Mario Galaxy, Mario 64, and Mario 3D World.

Smash Bros. is up there mainly because of fond memories of playing it with my siblings. …Well, mostly fond memories (we could get competitive sometimes; we are siblings after all).