What do you think the chances are of the faculty being added?

With all 24 students + Shez and Monica confirmed, that will give the game a base roster of at least 26 characters which is really big for a new musou game. It makes me wonder if they'll even have room to squeeze in characters such as Seteth, Flayn, Shamir etc. And those are the faculty members people actually like. Never mind the less popular ones like Alois, Hanneman and Gilbert.

Manuela, Hanneman, Rhea, and Seteth - high. Shamir, pretty good. Everyone else, eh.

Also, FEW had 32 characters. If literally every playable from 3H returned, plus Shez, this game would have 36. Sounds reasonable to me.

Edited by Fabulously Olivier

Interestingly, with Gilbert excluded, assuming Jeritza does his own thing, and Rhea being some sort of higher order NPC situation, faculty actually make a core of 8 units themselves:

Seteth
Flayn
Catherine
Shamir
Manuela
Hanneman
Alois
Cyril

There's a decent weapon mix here, but Seteth and Cyril both on wyvern (or Cyril doubling up on archer with Shamir) and Flayn and Manuela both being faith magic users may make the 'default' preferred class composition a bit repetitive. I suppose you could toss Cyril for Rhea and make her a unique Saint.

I'm hoping they'll be playable (Hanneman, Flayn, and Shamir are some personal favorites of mine) but I'm not holding my breath. The 24 students plus Shez and Monica is already a really beefy roster. Having the... nine recruitable faculty members is stretching it, especially when they have to compete for slots with the Ashen Wolves, Byleth, Jeritza, Anna, and possibly new characters.

7 minutes ago, Seazas said:

I'm not confident. I could easily see the majority of them locked to DLC.

Which... would be fine. If the full base roster we get is everything we've seen, plus the GD being revealed Friday, that is still a damn good base roster, and better than some of us were expecting. That's a bigger base roster than FEW had.

I agree that having all three houses with no cuts is already quite a feat of roster crafting. On the other hand Seteth and Flayn not being playable would be kinda rough since they're essentially co lords in one route. Also Seteth's pretty much the only candidate for a melee based wyvren class. 

1 hour ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

Which... would be fine. If the full base roster we get is everything we've seen, plus the GD being revealed Friday, that is still a damn good base roster, and better than some of us were expecting. That's a bigger base roster than FEW had.

I don't have a problem with that. The roster is actually good this time.

Every student plus Shez and Monica makes 26 characters, not to mention that we'll likely get Byleth and a few other characters as well. So the final roster will probably be over 30 characters, but not too much more than that. I'm pleased with every student being playable so I'm not too concerned over who else will get in.

I consider Seteth, Flayn, Catherine, and Shamir to be the most likely of the "neutral" characters, if we get any, and a handful of them we don't get will likely be DLC. Additionally the missing characters can appear as NPCs even if they aren't playable. The Death Knight is the obvious choice for the Lu Bu analogue, but that doesn't mean Jeritza will be playable.

Also there are three different routes, and we don't know how many characters each route will have. It's possible any neutral characters (and Ashen Wolves, if/when they get in) can be used in multiple routes, so Seteth and Flayn can join in Azure Gleam and Golden Wildfire but not Scarlet Blaze.

1 hour ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I agree that having all three houses with no cuts is already quite a feat of roster crafting. On the other hand Seteth and Flayn not being playable would be kinda rough since they're essentially co lords in one route. Also Seteth's pretty much the only candidate for a melee based wyvren class. 

No Seteth would be disappointing. He's my 3rd favorite wyvern after Cormag and Haar.

And he's a brilliantly written character. A reverse Edelgard. Gave everyone massive villain red flags before the game came out and revealed him as a hero.

Edited by Fabulously Olivier

At the very least, I'd be shocked if Seteth, Flayn, and Catherine weren't playable.

Seteth and Flayn are obvious for their story importance, plus how Flayn is an honorary student through out White Clouds. Catherine is not only an important Church character but also wields a Relic.

46 minutes ago, Sentinel07 said:

At the very least, I'd be shocked if Seteth, Flayn, and Catherine weren't playable.

Seteth and Flayn are obvious for their story importance, plus how Flayn is an honorary student through out White Clouds. Catherine is not only an important Church character but also wields a Relic.

Plus, Catherine was basically the replacement Lu Bu for Crimson Flower, with Death Knight being the Lu Bu for the other routes.

It's really funny to imagine that because of Byleth's absence including the OP sword that cuts mountains, Catherine becomes a full blown Lu Bu for Scarlet Blaze.  

The fact that they're going with a class system (and hence, have no need to build new skillsets in order to expand the roster) and the fact that the assets from 3H are already around makes me think most of the faculty/knights will be playable, unless we end up with a "Church is always the antagonist" storyline and... even then the important ones will probably get in as bonus/aftergame content. There's an outside chance that we don't get one or two of the less popular ones, I suppose.

3 hours ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

And he's a brilliantly written character. A reverse Edelgard. Gave everyone massive villain red flags before the game came out and revealed him as a hero.

🤨

I mean, everyone can be either a villain or a hero in 3H, but Seteth is definitely one of the more villainous ones, relatively. Censoring books for a corrupt church is not exactly heroic, among other reasons.

(I agree with you that he's well-written, mind.)

Pretty close to 100%. As movesets appear to be class based, adding them is a lot less resource intensive than say adding a new character in Hyrule Warriors where every character's moveset was unique. They won't need an entirely new moveset made just for them, they just need a model, a unique musou, and maybe a couple of unique charge attacks (although I recall unique charges being optional for tertiary characters in Samurai Warriors 5). 

Only "faculty" character that could be questionable is Jeritza since he did have a unique class, Death Knight. I mean I guess Rhea also had a unique class, but since she is probably a final(ish) boss on the Black Eagles route, I assume her unique class will get a full moveset.

13 hours ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

The fact that they're going with a class system (and hence, have no need to build new skillsets in order to expand the roster) and the fact that the assets from 3H are already around makes me think most of the faculty/knights will be playable, unless we end up with a "Church is always the antagonist" storyline and... even then the important ones will probably get in as bonus/aftergame content. There's an outside chance that we don't get one or two of the less popular ones, I suppose.

🤨

I mean, everyone can be either a villain or a hero in 3H, but Seteth is definitely one of the more villainous ones, relatively. Censoring books for a corrupt church is not exactly heroic, among other reasons.

(I agree with you that he's well-written, mind.)

As with most of the Church's flaws, I primarily blame Rhea for such. It's her edict to keep Fodlan's history curated, hold back its technology and medicine, and punish non-believers with an iron fist. I don't excuse Seteth's part in it, but I do think he has a greater deal of nuance at play, and he looks like a saint next to her.

1 hour ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

As with most of the Church's flaws, I primarily blame Rhea for such. It's her edict to keep Fodlan's history curated, hold back its technology and medicine, and punish non-believers with an iron fist. I don't excuse Seteth's part in it, but I do think he has a greater deal of nuance at play, and he looks like a saint next to her.

"Non believers" it was less so non-believers and those who performed crimes against the Church. I haven't seen any instance of Rhea punishing someone who doesn't care for the goddess. 

8 minutes ago, Seazas said:

"Non believers" it was less so non-believers and those who performed crimes against the Church. I haven't seen any instance of Rhea punishing someone who doesn't care for the goddess. 

We could spend all day arguing that point, but I don't think it really undermines my opinion much at all.

I don’t think Seteth had much a part in setting up the church system. He’s implied to be a very new addition to the church leadership. Jerald claims Seteth wasn’t around in his time with the church, and his support suggest he spend most of Flayn’s coma looking after her.

He seems more Rhea’s buddy coming to lend a hand rather than a founding member. This might also explain why he isn’t much for the church doctrine.

And for all the church’s failings a need to convert the non believers doesn’t seem to be one of them. Both Cyril and Shamir are given rank and favor despite being non believers, and Cyril claims Rhea doesn’t want him to change his beliefs for her. Catherine’s also being pretty open about not being a believer, and that she prefers worshipping Rhea’s hips instead.

We could spend all day arguing that point, but I don't think it really undermines my opinion much at all.

But that's literally contradicted in the game. Rhea houses people who don't share her beliefs.