Will this be your first Musou/Warriors game?

A lotta people are getting this game simply because its Fire Emblem/3H related so much like HW and AOC, it will probably end up being a lot of people's first musou. Is this true in your case or do you have prior experience with the series? If so, which games have ya played.

I'm kind of a musou veteran myself, I was introduced through the og fe warriors and went on to play both hyrule warriors games and quite a few dynasty, samurai and orochi warriors games too. I even played the one piece warriors games despite never reading the manga or watching the anime because of how much I love the series.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, everyone here knows I very much didn't to say it. But, no, lol.

My first Warriors-like game was Ninety Nine Nights, which I completed except for the freakin impossible secret final boss. Ninety Nine Nights 2 was godawfully difficult from the first full level, so I dropped it quickly. Other non-Koei games in the genre I've played are Sengoku Basara 3 Samurai Heroes (the only localized one) and Fate Extella: The Umbral Star.

Then I played Dynasty Warriors 8 Xtreme Legends years later. Great game. Love it. My only Samurai Warriors experience is Samurai Warriors 4-II, which is meh. I've played Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate and 4 Ultimate.

Then there are the spinoffs that I'm way more passionate about. I've 100%ed Fire Emblem Warriors. Awesome game despite its roster. I like, but don't love Hyrule Warriors. I LOVE One Piece Pirate Warriors 3 and 4 so much that they got me into an IP that I considered myself a hater of. Arslan and Berserk were okay. And Persona 5 Strikers is awesome.

3 minutes ago, Seazas said:

Nope, sadly. The Original Warriors was, which is a shame, if Three Hopes was my first I would've had more hope for it off the bat.

The original FEW had a pretty harsh dev cycle apparently and a lot going against it. For what it's worth, it's amazing that it came out as it did, and this game by contrast has every advantage it could hope for. No other musou spinoff has the privelege of having all of its assets already built on its engine.

This will be my first Musou game. I've had chances to play or buy others, and I did want to play P5 Strikers, but I never goat around to buying any of them. By the time I would have decided to buy them, I had already decided that I wanted Three Hopes to be my first. If I like this game, I have some ideas as to where I'll go next...still, I need to see if I like this format first and foremost. 

Just now, Use the Falchion said:

This will be my first Musou game. I've had chances to play or buy others, and I did want to play P5 Strikers, but I never goat around to buying any of them. By the time I would have decided to buy them, I had already decided that I wanted Three Hopes to be my first. If I like this game, I have some ideas as to where I'll go next...still, I need to see if I like this format first and foremost. 

P5 Strikers is interesting in that it really isn't a Warriors game beyond its most basic details (combos and enemy count). It's Final Fantasy 7 Remake in the Persona universe, and it's very good.

5 minutes ago, Morgan--Grandmaster said:

This'll be my third (not counting the AoC demo) following Hyrule Warriors and the original FEW.

I take it you didn't care for the AoC demo. And that was the best part of the game.

Ha, no. I think the first I played was Dynasty Warrior 3 at a friend's place.

Off the top of my head I have played

• Dynasty : 3, 3XL, 4, 4XL, 5, 5XL, 7, 7XL, 8, 8XL
  • Samurai: 1, 3, 4, Sanada, 5
  • Orochi: 3, 4
  • Gundam: 2, 3, Reborn
  • Pirate: 1, 2, 3, 4
  • All-Stars
  • Hyrule: Og, Legends, AoC
  • Persona 5 Strikers

So this will be my 30th if you include Xtreme Legend type entries assuming I didn't forget any.

1 minute ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

P5 Strikers is interesting in that it really isn't a Warriors game beyond its most basic details (combos and enemy count). It's Final Fantasy 7 Remake in the Persona universe, and it's very good.

I've heard that a couple of times, but despite hearing it, it's probably one of those things I won't fully understand until I compare a regular Warriors game and P5S myself. 

8 minutes ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

I take it you didn't care for the AoC demo. And that was the best part of the game.

Oh no, it's not that. I quite enjoyed it. It's just that the family budget only allows for so many games during the Holidays, and between Smash DLC, Origami King, Three Houses, Pokémon, and Kirby; there are bound to be a few releases that slip through the cracks.

Edited by Morgan--Grandmaster

8 minutes ago, Use the Falchion said:

I've heard that a couple of times, but despite hearing it, it's probably one of those things I won't fully understand until I compare a regular Warriors game and P5S myself. 

To sum it up, Warriors games use a stage-based structure with a timer. You are to take forts and beat the enemy commander, while also defending forts and allies. A well-balanced Warriors game, like FE Warriors and One Piece Pirate Warriors 3, will see you frantically rushing to prioritize objectives as they occur simultaneously. They are at once mindless actions games and paradoxically also real time strategy games.

Persona 5 Strikers uses a linear story-based map structure, with corridors explored at your leisure to progress the game. You know, like a normal JRPG. It also uses the FF7 Remake system where it hybridizes action combat with pause-based spells to simulate turn-based combat, and its those spells that do the real damage.

Edited by Fabulously Olivier

I haven't played any of the main series Warriors games, but I've played some of the other spin-offs.
Hyrule Warriors (Wii U)
Dragon Quest Heroes
Fire Emblem Warriors
Hyrule Warriors Definitive Edition
Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity

I loved the original Hyrule Warriors/DE and FE Warriors. I enjoyed AoC enough, but never went back for the DLC. DQ Heroes had some things going for it, but was way too slow-paced and had the most generic story I've ever seen.

Oh, right. Add Warriors All Stars and Dragon Quest Heroes 1 and 2 to my already significant list.

Warriors All Stars is to Three Hopes and Age of Calamity what Echoes SoV was to Three Houses. A very bad game with very good mechanics that shine in the future games based off of its experiments. It's a bridge game, and I respect it for its sacrifice.

Dragon Quest Heroes 1 is a tower defense with warriors elements. Super weird. Super good.

Dragon Quest Heroes 2 is a semi open world JRPG with Warriors elements. And it's criminally underrated.

Nope, my first warriors was Warriors Orochi 2 on psp, and not much later I played WO3 (or z, I don't remember how it was called)

Since then, that I can remember, I've beaten Hyrule Warriors, Fire Emblem Warriors, Pirate Warriors and Dynasty Warriors 7.

I have also played yukimura's story in Samurai Warriors 2, but I hated everything about the game so I never touched it again, probably won't play any old school warriors either. I have SW4 SoS though, and I plan to play it soon-ish, but I'm playing too many games at the same time right now. I also really want to play SW5, the Persona one is a bit lower on my list of priorities, but I want to play it one day too.

I didn't like the demo for DW9 at all, but tbh it didn't run properly on my pc.

Not from Koei but from the "warriors" genre, I have also beaten the 2 Fate Extella, one of the Neptunia ones, and Naruto Ultimate Ninja Impact.

10 minutes ago, Sbuscoz said:

Nope, my first warriors was Warriors Orochi 2 on psp, and not much later I played WO3 (or z, I don't remember how it was called)

Since then, that I can remember, I've beaten Hyrule Warriors, Fire Emblem Warriors, Pirate Warriors and Dynasty Warriors 7.

I have also played yukimura's story in Samurai Warriors 2, but I hated everything about the game so I never touched it again, probably won't play any old school warriors either. I have SW4 SoS though, and I plan to play it soon-ish, but I'm playing too many games at the same time right now. I also really want to play SW5, the Persona one is a bit lower on my list of priorities, but I want to play it one day too.

I didn't like the demo for DW9 at all, but tbh it didn't run properly on my pc.

Not from Koei but from the "warriors" genre, I have also beaten the 2 Fate Extella, one of the Neptunia ones, and Naruto Ultimate Ninja Impact.

I genuinely had no idea that there already was a Naruto musou-like, and I've heard of weird obscure shit like the unlocalized musou-likes for Tales, Kamen Rider, Gintama, and Bleach.

Edited by Fabulously Olivier

25 minutes ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

To sum it up, Warriors games use a stage-based structure with a timer. You are to take forts and beat the enemy commander, while also defending forts and allies. A well-balanced Warriors game, like FE Warriors and One Piece Pirate Warriors 3, will see you frantically rushing to prioritize objectives as they occur simultaneously. They are at once mindless actions games and paradoxically also real time strategy games.

Persona 5 Strikers uses a linear story-based map structure, with corridors explored at your leisure to progress the game. You know, like a normal JRPG. It also uses the FF7 Remake system where it hybridizes action combat with pause-based spells to simulate turn-based combat, and its those spells that do the real damage.

Ah gotcha. Thanks. 

4 minutes ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

I genuinely had no idea that there already was a Naruto musou-like, and I've heard of weird obscure shit like the unlocalized musou-likes for Kamen Rider, Gintama, and Bleach.

It was a psp game that came out arround the time of storm 2, so maybe it went under the radar, people tend to speak less about handheld games than console ones (unless they are from nintendo).

This is my third Warriors game. I played Hyrule Warriors when that came out and enjoyed it a lot. Still play it with a friend on occasion.. Got Age of Calamity a year ago, enjoyed it a bit, dropped it after a while. 

Yeah will be my first Musou.

And the main reason I'm playing is because it has an avatar, if it was the crossover that many were expecting or if it was 3H but no Byleth/Shez as MCs I wouldn't play it because I'm not that huge of a FE fan.

I probably won't play as other characters, will likely stick to Shez/Lord for most of it, maybe will play it once as the other students but 80% will likely be as Shez.

Well, since everyone else did I'll list mine too.

Dynasty Warriors 3, 5, 5 Empire, 6, 6 Empire, Strikeforce, 7 Empire, 8, 8 Empire, 9 and 9 Empire.

Samurai Warriors 1, 2, 2 Empire, 3, 4, 4 Empire and SoS. I have no intention of playing 5.

Warriors Orochi 1, 2, 3, 3 Ult, 4 and 4 Ult.

All-Stars

Hyrule Warriors and AoC, DQ Heroes 1 and 2, P5 Strikers, Berserk, N3 1 and 2, FEW, Gundam Warriors 1,2,3 and Reborn. 

Non-Koei games, Neptunia U, Senran Kagura (Estival VS and Burst Renewal if you count those) and both Fate Extellas.

Edited by ciphertul
forgot All-stars

I only played the two Hyrule Warriors games and the amount of microing that you have to do in the first one is somewhat annoying; doubly so if I'm up against an boss that's only vulnerable whenever it attacks, whenever it decides to.

Age of Calamity is an little bit more challenging, but it's still has it's flaws.