Will this be your first Musou/Warriors game?

The games do have a level of real-time strategy when balanced well. They're less what you do, so much as when and where you do it, and that's engaging in its own way.

The weird focus on the 1,000 in criticism is one of my biggest complaints regarding haters of the format. Like, I'm sorry, but the peons aren't supposed to be a threat, and you need to stop trying to make them one. Stop trying to turn these games into every other game. They exist to contextualize your greatness, while the enemy officers exist to actually fight you. If you complain about the canon fodder not being aggressive enough, you're the equivalent of someone asking for every wild Pidgey and Team Rocket grunt to put a strain on your health potions. And you deserve to have to play a game where every Zubat is a threat to your team.

Edited by Fabulously Olivier

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

My attitude is not to justify them as more challenging, but rather to spit on the challenge conversation entirely. It's literally not the point. Challenge is not inherently desirable to everyone, some games are meant to be less challenging by design, and if these games suddenly decided to become literally Dark Souls, I would stop playing them entirely.

And that is what makes them a perfect formula for licensed spinoffs. They're empowering and accessible. With a fighting game or Souls-like spinoff, the average player may not click with it at all, let alone as the characters they actually want to play. With a Warriors spinoff, anyone can have a good time, and (almost) every character is intuitive and viable enough to click with anyone. That's a good thing in my opinion. We need more games that provide positive reinforcement.

Honestly, I am a challenge gamer, but I love Warriors games precisely as a way to blow off steam between other games.

They have challenging missions sometimes, yes, but by and large it's just a very cathartic game when it lets you run around sweeping hundreds of enemies away with a single attack.

In fact, that might be part of why I disliked Age of Calamity. While it's not a difficult game per se, the reduced emphasis on destroying tons of enemies at once in favor of chipping away at annoyingly durable Moblins made it much less satisfying to play, at least compared to the original Hyrule Warriors or FE Warriors.

Thankfully, even what little gameplay footage we've seen of Three Hopes so far looks promising on that front.

Edited by Anomalocaris

I haven't played a Warriors/Musou game before. I've never really find myself drawn to the style of gameplay. That said, I'm willing to give it a try when it stars a cast I know I'll care about. And I've officially placed a pre-order on this one. So I'm pretty much set on getting and playing it.

On 5/27/2022 at 2:58 PM, Fabulously Olivier said:

Other non-Koei games in the genre I've played are Sengoku Basara 3 Samurai Heroes (the only localized one)

Liar.

I'm sort of a Warriors nutcase. I started with the three DW5 games, then shortly afterwards convinced a friend to let me borrow their copies of 3+XL, 4+XL, SW1+XL, and SW2+XL as I was curious how each game improved on the last, so when it comes to mainline Warriors games (not counting the fighting game) and then from there played the games as they released for the most part. If we were to exclude non-localized games, I've only missed out on the Chronicles subseries, the first Warriors Orochi, DW7E, and the first DQH, though from what I've been told I didn't really miss out on much with those games.

As for the collaboration games, I skipped out on HWL (No N3DS and the performance was garbage on o3DS), played all the Gundam ones, played HW, HWDE, FEW and still consider FEW to be superior to HWDE. Despite the name, Touken Ranbu Warriors is not a Warriors game which becomes evident if you've played the demo, and I don't consider P5S to be a Warriors title either due to having a much different structure. Oh and AoC is trash, enough said.

As for non-Koei developed games in the same style; I've played the first Fate/Extella, Neptunia U, and both Sengoku Basara games that have been localized. Yes, both. The first one was localized under the name Devil Kings

Edited by Vexal

I'm really disappointed in the lack of a demo because that really would have helped me figure out whether I would be getting this game or not! I've never played a Musou/Warriors game before, and I've had minimal interest in them too. My preferred game style is base FE games, Pokemon, Dragon Quest, and other turn based games. Real-time fighting games like FE: Three Hopes appears to be never really held my interest, especially if they lack a solid story as most of my loved games have a pretty set storyline and great characters.

That being said, I have been trying to expand my gaming portfolio. I'd never played a rogue/rogue-lite before Hades and that's one of my favorite games. I've gotten better with real-time games and have enjoyed playing quite a few of them. I love Three Houses and it appears I'm one of the few people interested in Shez as a protagonist? (The internet has been surprisingly biased against him/her.) Since I already love the characters, this feels like a good entry point to the Musou genre. So I have been considering picking it up, but I wanted the demo to see if the gameplay would be a deal-breaker for me or something that I could enjoy.

For those of you who have played FE Warriors or similar games, could you maybe let me know of things about the genre you enjoy or that you think would appeal to someone like me? Because I'd like to give this game a try, but not enough to waste $60 if a demo never ends up coming out.

1 hour ago, SimplyUnknown said:

For those of you who have played FE Warriors or similar games, could you maybe let me know of things about the genre you enjoy or that you think would appeal to someone like me? Because I'd like to give this game a try, but not enough to waste $60 if a demo never ends up coming out.

They're very cathartic. There's just something satisfying about sending literal hundreds of enemies flying away to their deaths by pressing a couple buttons. Very good way to blow off steam after a stressful day, and when you want to actually challenge yourself there's plenty of difficult missions too.

They also tend to last a very long time before you run out of content to play, which is good if you don't have a massive backlog of games to get through or really need to get your money's worth in terms of time expenditure.

21 minutes ago, Anomalocaris said:

They're very cathartic. There's just something satisfying about sending literal hundreds of enemies flying away to their deaths by pressing a couple buttons. Very good way to blow off steam after a stressful day, and when you want to actually challenge yourself there's plenty of difficult missions too.

They also tend to last a very long time before you run out of content to play, which is good if you don't have a massive backlog of games to get through or really need to get your money's worth in terms of time expenditure.

I'll add that they also fit in comfortably between other games. They're a palette cleanser. A good change of pace when you're burned out on games that are either more mentally or reflexively taxing. 

And they fit in well to a busy schedule too. If you've got 15 minutes, you've got time for a mission. Which is perhaps part of why they've been such a good fit for the Switch platform.

No I have played most of the warriors spinoffs but ironically I have no interest in playing the mainline series. Warriors gameplay only appeals too me if I am already invested in the universe and characters thus I have played the entire Dynasty Warriors Gundam series, both Fist of the North Star Musuos, All four Pirate Warriors, Both Hyrule Warriors, Berserk, both Attack on Titan Musuos, and Fire Emblem Warriors. The only Musuo I have not played from series I like is the Dragon Quest ones but I doubt I will go back to them at this point

2 hours ago, assassingriskell said:

No I have played most of the warriors spinoffs but ironically I have no interest in playing the mainline series. Warriors gameplay only appeals too me if I am already invested in the universe and characters thus I have played the entire Dynasty Warriors Gundam series, both Fist of the North Star Musuos, All four Pirate Warriors, Both Hyrule Warriors, Berserk, both Attack on Titan Musuos, and Fire Emblem Warriors. The only Musuo I have not played from series I like is the Dragon Quest ones but I doubt I will go back to them at this point

Attack on Titan has a warriors game where have I been??!!

2 hours ago, assassingriskell said:

You are missing out DQ Heroes 1 and 2 are the best ones. If you don't play both you have to at least play 2 it probably one of omega force's best games. Though the second one is more like a typical action RPG than the first one.

8 hours ago, Queen Hilda said:

Yep. They essentially folded the content from the first one into the 2nd game and released an updated version called Attack on Titan 2: The Final Battle back in 2019 but in the story mode you create your own character who joins the Scouts and experiences the story of the first two seasons of the anime. Afterward they have another mode that covers Season 3. They obvously had too adjust the formula since it would make 0 sense too kill thousands of Titans so instead the gameplay has you attacking each titans body parts too weaken it and then attack the nape and go for the kill. Some people may argue it is not a dynasty warriors game but omega force made it and has the same kill counter method just on a much smaller scale and at least too me definitely still feels like a dynasty warriors game just with AOT

8 hours ago, Hiro Mei said:

You are missing out DQ Heroes 1 and 2 are the best ones. If you don't play both you have to at least play 2 it probably one of omega force's best games. Though the second one is more like a typical action RPG than the first one.

I have heard the second one is really good and I like ARPGs. I forgot too mention really like Persona 5 Strikers which more like an ARPG then a dynasty warriors game but it was made by the same team

8 hours ago, Queen Hilda said:

It has two actually. I'm just not sure if I'd really count them as Warriors games at all since by virtue of the IP, you're focused on a few large enemies rather than lots of small ones. Seems inherently opposite to a Warriors game to me.

4 hours ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

It has two actually. I'm just not sure if I'd really count them as Warriors games at all since by virtue of the IP, you're focused on a few large enemies rather than lots of small ones. Seems inherently opposite to a Warriors game to me.

Oh ok cool ill have to try  it out 

No, this will not be my first Warriors game. The first one I played was Dynasty Warriors 2, and man was that fun. And of course I've played others over the years, including the first Hyrule Warriors and the first Fire Emblem Warriors.

• 2 weeks later...

It will be my first Musou game.

I downloaded the demo just to see if they can make the story/narration worse than Three Houses (it doesn't seem so).

But I kinda like it. It has a nice synergy between action and strategy. Also, it feels like a real war, unlike Three Houses and thats is basically the point of a Fire Emblem game imo.