I just saw this idea for an MvC:I rewrite

Perkilator

It's no secret that MvC:I was...pretty disappointing, but I did see this video doing a rewrite of the story mode

I think this, along with more development time (some balance changes and more natural animations, for example) and the art style being more like Ultimate Alliance 3, would be my ideal MvC:I.

I'm sure this two and half hour video arrived at a good idea, somewhere, but that's a lot of time investment for somebody's fan fiction rewrite. If I were doing a project like this, I would start with the issues I saw, my thesis statement to fix them while working within the restrictions set by the base game, then if I'm really convinced this is all genius, go into the full scale rewrite so that people still interested can judge the mocked up result of those changes. I stopped the video soon after the beginning because it decides to begin the narrative at the very start of the universal crossover. Not a great idea. MvCI's decision to start halfway in with a huge action set piece involving more than two characters at a time, with all the heroes already having met (because they DID meet each other in previous games), teamed up, and agreed on the threat without having agreed on the best way to deal with the threat was a great call. This really speeds things along from set piece to set piece while also allowing our heroes to still drum up reasons to fight each other over their disagreements.

Not sure I agree with the premise at the top of the video either. The Story Mode is the biggest thing that killed the game for people? I really don't think so. Especially when the series has never attempted something like this. It's not like this is a worse story mode compared to what we got before. This is Capcom's second attempt at a cinematic fighting game story mode and it's miles ahead of SF5's - which wasn't even in the game at launch. Sure it's no NetherRealm-tier effort, but among Japanese Fighting games, Capcom is still leading the pack five years later with MvCI's story mode despite it's flaws. D'you think last year's Guilty Gear or KOF15 even come close? The Ultron-Sigma idea is a frankly brilliant idea for a villain. Lifting the infinity stones and Thanos as plot macguffins is a great way to split up the team for separate missions - it only feels like it's been done before because the MCU was in the middle of the same thing. Poor Thanos is a returning legacy MvC character! The Infinity Stones appeared previously in Marvel Super Heroes (basically Marvel vs Capcom 0.5). And people think they're only here to pander to the damned movies. They're not! It's just unfortunate circumstance. 

If you think a Story Mode Rewrite could have saved the game, then you weren't paying attention to its release and marketing. Sure the Story Mode gave us the clearest look at the game's remarkably bad character models for Chun Li and Dante (which by the way don't match how they look in-game), but other than being a good source of youtube thumbnail screen captures, the biggest problems that fans had with the game was always the scaled back Roster, (seemingly) scaled back gameplay, and the lifeless art style. Leaving out the Fox-owned characters was a tough pill to swallow. And it was made much worse by pre-release developer interviews saying that the missing characters are really just "functions" and that nobody cares about Magneto beyond his eight way air dash. That quote was the point they lost the fans, and if you don't have fans hyping up your game, then you've lost the casuals too because nobody is making positive Youtube videos about it. As for the gameplay depth, there was a lot to worry about when we went from 3v3 to 2v2, and removed Assists entirely. A lot of us couldn't see from pre-release footage that there were actually some cool new things you could do now that you can swap characters more freely. At the onset, it only looked like subtractions when it probably has the most solid, open-ended gameplay of the series according to players that still gave it a chance.

Edited by Zapp Branniglenn