Create a Nintendo Spinoff That You Think Will Never Happen

vanguard333

Create a spinoff of a Nintendo franchise that you think will never happen; bonus points if it's a popular franchise or at least one that has had spinoffs. Be sure to say why you think it will never happen.

Here's mine:

The Legend of Zelda: Into the Zelda Timeline

Basically, a 3D Legend of Zelda spinoff that takes the main premise of Into the Spider-verse and applies it to the Zelda universe. After a Link is killed while trying to stop Ganondorf, a young hero must save the day despite not being chosen. Fortunately, he isn't alone: Links from across the Zelda timelines have ended up appearing in his time period and are ready to help save this Hyrule so they can return to their time periods. These Links would look just like they did in their original games while still integrating into this game's art style, and they each would utilize a unique ability based on their respective game(s).

The playable Links from other timelines would include the following heroes (one for each major component of the Zelda Timeline):

• Skyward Sword Link (initial timeline): just like in Skyward Sword, this Link would utilize motion controls.
  • Ocarina of Time Link (the Link who caused the timeline to split): this Link would utilize the masks from Majora's Mask.
  • Wind Waker Link (adult timeline): Um... this one can pilot a ship? This one can utilize cartoon logic? I'm honestly not sure what to do with this one.
  • Twilight Princess Link (child timeline): This Link can turn into a wolf. I thought that using the Four Swords Adventures Link would be more distinct in gameplay, but Twilight Princess Link is more visually distinct and more representative of the child timeline.
  • Original Legend of Zelda Link (downfall timeline): This Link would be 2D and 8-bit, in a 3D game (it would sort-of work like Paper Mario). This means he can, among other things, hide by pretending to be a wall painting as a joking reference to the A Link Between Worlds Link.
  • Breath of the Wild Link (converged/Nintendo has officially given up keeping track timeline): This Link can scavenge enemy weapons and random items only for them to break quickly.

Apart from obviously copying Into the Spider-verse, the reason I think such a spinoff would never happen is that I think Breath of the Wild demonstrated that Nintendo wants to wash its hands of the Zelda timeline going forward.

Edited by vanguard333

Fire Emblem Dungeons and Dragons

I've been working on my own tabletop system using combinations of these 2 games, focussing on the gameplay of Fire Emblem. But it would be really nice if an official Fire Emblem Tabletop RPG in the same vein as D&D would drop. Unlikely though (but hmu Nintendo if you ever need it developed).

Hyrule Wars

A mashup of The Legend of Zelda and Fire Emblem. The setting and characters are Zelda, while the core gameplay and class system is pulled from Fire Emblem.

Reason why I doubt this will happen is the same reason I doubt Paper Zelda will happen: the thought of two series actually sharing ideas like that is inconceivable to Nintendo. Though we did get both Hyrule Warriors and Fire Emblem Warriors, so who knows. But outside of Smash, Nintendo rarely does crossovers between their own IPs.

Edited by Lord_Brand

Fire emblem maker.

A Mario maker for Fire Emblem. Using the gba graphics so maps and characters are easy to make.

It will never happen because Fire Emblem isn't Mario big and because making maps is probably a bigger pain then I think it is.

i'd say:

1) a classic JRPG FE game similar to Dragon Quest and older Final Fantasy games

2) a proper 2D FE fighting game like Street Fighter or Guilty Gear, or even 2.5D like Tekken

i also agree with the idea of Fire Emblem Maker @Sasori suggested

Edited by Yexin

Fire Emblem maker, as @Sasori said (although that's a great idea and I think the FE community would have a BLAST if that was made...imagine if you could even choose the style of game, like GBA, Tellius, DS, or 3DS...and then a way to globally share each other's games...that's a missed opportunity!)

A Pokemon-FE crossover. I imagine it more like the Redwall book series or even Pokemon Mystery Dungeon than Pokemon Conquest. In this, players would start out as a knight and a noble of a fallen Pokemon kingdom, and they'd must fight to gain allies and retake their land. There'd be some exploration to gain allies and evolve. The combat would be more of a mix as well, where things like sticks, branches, and stones could be used and crafted into weapons that could be used for physical attacks and combat arts, while the standard Pokemon attacks are still there and allow for even more effects and combos. 

A Fire Emblem-Persona (and possibly Sakura Wars?) crossover. TMS and Three Houses were as close as we'll probably get, but I could easily see one of two things happening, and they're complete reversals of each other. The first thing I could see is Persona 5 as a Fire Emblem game, particularly one set at Garrag Mach. Many of the characters in Persona 5 feel as if they could slot right into FE's archetypes and units, so it's not too big of a stretch for me.* The other way this could go is seeing the Lords and other various characters of Fire Emblem in a modern setting. I think this could work as a sort of eldritch, meta, multi-versal crossover. Basically, the Lords are trapped in a lotus-eater machine where they're given a great life and some enemies to fight as a way to keep them entertained, but someone - the player character most likely - breaks in and has to wake them up. From there, it becomes a more standard JRPG. Or maybe a Musou game? Or maybe mechs like in Sakura Wars? It would become something. I only have the core concept for that, and it'd need FAR more detail to actually work. 

A Pokemon life/farming & dating sim like Rune Factory and Stardew Valley. Imagine being able to farm crops and create lakes and rivers and permaculture stuff in order to attract Pokemon. And then being able to date other trainers or even Nurse Joy and Officer Jenny, or special guest appearances. (Cynthia would be very popular DLC I'd assume.) DLC can be added to travel to other regions and bring in Pokemon from there. (Although due to worries about invasive species, if the Pokemon from other regions grow beyond a certain percentage or catch rate, those "extra Pokemon" will automatically be shipped back; think back to Gold/Silver/Crystal when the player's mom would spend the extra money she couldn't keep. It'd be similar to that.) You can do small quests and stuff to help out around the town...I think this could have some potential and maybe reaching a demographic that used to like Pokemon in a new way. I can also see it potentially competing with Rune Factory and Stardew Valley, and I know with the former it'd feel like competing with oneself. Then again, this could be a great game to bring to life between versions of Rune Factory and even Animal Crossing. 

I'm sure there are more crossovers and spinoffs, but those are the only ones I can think of at the moment. 

EDIT: For an April Fool's Joke, I'd love to see IntSys do a life/farming & dating sim set on Magvel, that also has a potential monster raising thing. Set in the far future of Sacred Stones, our character decides to head out to an island off of the coast of Magvel to start a new life. There, they meet an interesting cast of characters (that bear a slight resemblance to the Sacred Stones cast) and can farm, fish, explore dungeons, and even breed monsters. It would be hilarious and I love it. 

*For just the Phantom Thieves & close associates (not all confidants):

Spoiler

Joker - Lord -> Trickster

Mona - Thief -> Adventurer 

Skull - Fighter 

Panther - Mage (Fire) 

Fox - Myrmidon

Queen - Pegasus Knight

Oracle - Rallybot

Noir - Wyvern Rider

Crow - Dark Flier

Violet - Dancer

Wolf - Wyvern Lord

Sophie - Manakete

Sojiro - Paladin/Great Knight

Shiho - Troubadour 

Mishima - Archer (nothing else really fits him)

Takemi - Druid

Sae - Falcon Knight

etc.

Edited by Use the Falchion

17 hours ago, whase said:

Fire Emblem Dungeons and Dragons

I've been working on my own tabletop system using combinations of these 2 games, focussing on the gameplay of Fire Emblem. But it would be really nice if an official Fire Emblem Tabletop RPG in the same vein as D&D would drop. Unlikely though (but hmu Nintendo if you ever need it developed).

They could also choose to base it off an actual good tabletop system instead.

I've actually been lackadaisically working on something like that, we should compare notes.

The Binding of Kirby

No, I will not be taking questions at this or any time.

14 hours ago, Sasori said:

It will never happen because Fire Emblem isn't Mario big and because making maps is probably a bigger pain then I think it is.

I think making maps would be fine. A harder aspect would be a competent and varied character creator. Even harder would be allowing the player to write their own supports and story scenarios, with nothing more than the Switch's innate keyboard.

27 minutes ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

I think making maps would be fine. A harder aspect would be a competent and varied character creator. Even harder would be allowing the player to write their own supports and story scenarios, with nothing more than the Switch's innate keyboard.

Just remove all the plot.

28 minutes ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

Animal Crossing Warriors

No, I don't even know how that one would work.

I can see it now:

Villager and Isabelle would fight much like they do in Smash Bros., but 3D and far more OP.

Tom Nook would attack enemies by saddling them with housing debt.

The owl will attack opponents with long speeches that go on forever until the opponents fall asleep.

m not sure about the rest; the last Animal Crossing game was the one on the Wii.

22 hours ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

Fox McCloud gets trapped at the Furry Convention

Normally, I would point out that you're supposed to say why you think the spinoff is pretty much guaranteed to never actually happen, but this one is very self-explanatory.

@whase @Lord_Brand @Yexin @Use the Falchion @Shanty Pete's 1st Mate Interesting ideas; I will just point out that you're supposed to include the reason why you think the spinoff will never happen.

6 hours ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

They could also choose to base it off an actual good tabletop system instead.

I've actually been lackadaisically working on something like that, we should compare notes.

Is that shade towards D&D I see there? It's hard to say because I've never seen shade towards D&D before... I'd ask you to explain that shade but that might derail the thread.

I'm all for comparing notes though, send me a pm if you want.

4 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

[...]

@whase [...]Interesting ideas; I will just point out that you're supposed to include the reason why you think the spinoff will never happen.

The reason Nintendo will probably never make a FE-D&D is because tabletop isn't really their bussiness. It also wouldn't make them much money, and it would never have a large fanbase, I'm guessing.

5 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

@whase @Lord_Brand @Yexin @Use the Falchion @Shanty Pete's 1st Mate Interesting ideas; I will just point out that you're supposed to include the reason why you think the spinoff will never happen.

oh right

1) it would probably feel like an unnecessary homogenisation of the series to more classic and "mainstream" series, thus removing what makes the FE series so """""unique""""" (i might add that Gaiden, Echoes and 3H are much more similar to classic JRPGs than they are to other FE games)

2) Smash already exists i think they'd be doubtful about making such a different game compared to what FE fans are used to
i mean, it might happen, but imho they'd be too insecure about it and would then abort the idea

3) it would simply be too complex and unprofitable

9 hours ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

Just remove all the plot.

What's the point of making my own anime battle chess pieces, if I can't even give them personality quirks and arranged marry them?

8 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

Interesting ideas; I will just point out that you're supposed to include the reason why you think the spinoff will never happen.

Very well.

The tonal dissonance between the franchise, and variation in their target audiences, would be nigh-insurmountable.

A visual novel starring Birdo focusing on her transition. Which will never happen because Nintendo don't even like to acknoweldge that Birdo was originally transgender any more, let alone making a full game about it.

Marginally less unlikely: an F-Zero rhythm game. Make it be something kinda like Audiosurf. You have a car going very fast, and then have to weave in and out of other cars in time with the music. This will never happen, because Nintendo doesn't even want to make main-series F-Zero games any more, let alone spin-offs.

Or how about a deck builder in the spirit of Dominion, but based on Animal Crossing? Each player's deck represents their island/town/whatever which they have to build up to attract villagers, build facilities, etc. Which will never happen because the second that anyone mentions an Animal Crossing card game, people will have flashbacks to Amiibo Festival and go catatonic.

On 5/31/2022 at 11:53 AM, Sasori said:

Fire emblem maker.

A Mario maker for Fire Emblem. Using the gba graphics so maps and characters are easy to make.

It's a fun idea, but I don't think it could ever work. Mario levels stand alone much better than Fire Emblem maps do. Fire Emblem maps are typically anchored by thier place in the story, by the characters in your army, and so on. Yeah, trial maps do exist, but I generally find them a whole lot less compelling than a map that is actually a part of a full game. Mario levels, on the other hand, work much better in a vacuum. You can just pick up a random Mario level and have it be fun and make sense without any surrounding context. Mario levels are also typically a whole lot faster than Fire Emblem maps. If I play Mario Maker and get a terrible level, then I can probably be done with it in less than five minutes. Either I'll beat it and move on, or I'll very quickly realise that it's terrible and skip it. I can't see that working so well in a Fire Emblem Maker. Bad maps (and there would be a lot of bad maps) would be an absolute chore to play.

I mean, I'd still buy it immediately if they ever did make it, and I'm sure that some people would use it to create some really cool things, but I fear the oceans of garbage that we'd have to swim through to find the good maps.

Pokemon-FE Crossover: Pokemon seems content with its current level of exploration and expansion, despite it feeling (and being) at a snail's pace. 

Pokemon Farming/Sim - Pokemon has a child-friendly brand image, and this may muddy that again. Add in competition with other parts of Nintendo and the Pokemon Company potentially feeling like they already include bits and pieces of this in other games, and I don't think it'll happen. (Although as I said above, this could be a great "off-season" game for NIntendo and Co. for when Animal Crossing is taking a long time.)

Persona x Fire Emblem - TMS was risky enough as it is, and Atlus is moving on from P5. I think they'd need to find success in a TMS sequel before coming back to these ideas. (And IntSys doesn't actually need Atlus for the Lotus Eater idea.) 

Fire Emblem Maker - Because Nintendo and IntSys either never give us what we want, or they never give it as we want it. 

• 4 weeks later...

Pokemon/Sim City - Basically you have to create the Trainer's Routes and populate the settlements, something similar to Black 2's Join Avenue, except much bigger in scale. Oh and you get to train Gym Leaders too. As your city grows, more and more of past characters from the series come and visit. Doubtful it would happen, considering the amount of characters you have to create, in addition to the all-star nature already done by Pokemon Masters...

On 6/1/2022 at 7:34 AM, lenticular said:

A visual novel starring Birdo focusing on her transition. Which will never happen because Nintendo don't even like to acknoweldge that Birdo was originally transgender any more, let alone making a full game about it.

And if it's a visual novel, I can only assume that Birdo gets her fair share of romantic options! Will she go with the "boy-next-door" Yoshi, the "bad boy" Roy Koopaling, or the "foreign flame" Captain Rainbow? Maybe she can commiserate with her goth best friend, Vivian.

On 6/1/2022 at 7:34 AM, lenticular said:

Or how about a deck builder in the spirit of Dominion, but based on Animal Crossing? Each player's deck represents their island/town/whatever which they have to build up to attract villagers, build facilities, etc. Which will never happen because the second that anyone mentions an Animal Crossing card game, people will have flashbacks to Amiibo Festival and go catatonic.

"I'd play Blathers, but he has a Bug-type weakness! And as long as it's Summer, my Snow Boy is worthless."

On 6/1/2022 at 9:09 AM, Use the Falchion said:

Persona x Fire Emblem - TMS was risky enough as it is, and Atlus is moving on from P5. I think they'd need to find success in a TMS sequel before coming back to these ideas. (And IntSys doesn't actually need Atlus for the Lotus Eater idea.) 

The 3H cast seems a natural fit for "super-powered high-school anime drama", at least.

On 6/1/2022 at 9:09 AM, Use the Falchion said:

Pokemon Farming/Sim - Pokemon has a child-friendly brand image, and this may muddy that again. Add in competition with other parts of Nintendo and the Pokemon Company potentially feeling like they already include bits and pieces of this in other games, and I don't think it'll happen. (Although as I said above, this could be a great "off-season" game for NIntendo and Co. for when Animal Crossing is taking a long time.)

I don't think this would "muddy the child-friendly brand" as long as you're not eating the Pokemon. It could just be "raise Berry trees, bake Poffins, catch various Pokemon for certain tasks (i.e. smashing rocks, cutting trees) that net you resources for crafting", etc. Possibly throw in some Stadium-style minigames, and you've got a great foundation.

4 hours ago, henrymidfields said:

Pokemon/Sim City - Basically you have to create the Trainer's Routes and populate the settlements, something similar to Black 2's Join Avenue, except much bigger in scale. Oh and you get to train Gym Leaders too. As your city grows, more and more of past characters from the series come and visit. Doubtful it would happen, considering the amount of characters you have to create, in addition to the all-star nature already done by Pokemon Masters...

Maybe you could "borrow" Gym Leaders and E4 members from past games? As for generic trainers, it's pretty easy - pick from a pool of classes (i.e. Youngster, Swimmer, Ranger), each with a few pre-post-battle quotes, then either select their team or "auto-fill" based on the Pokemon available in your region.

Maybe Cities and Routes could be constructed in "blocks", like the HGSS Safari Zone, rather than tile-by-tile? It'd be much more approachable that way, even if it reduces your options. Each "Block" could have its own default encounter list, which you then customize. Then you could add custom touches (Trainers, Strength boulders, Berry trees, Grass) at your leisure.

• 5 months later...