Do you guys use Heavy weapons even if there is a speed penalty?

I guess it doesn't just apply to this game but with the CON affecting speed in relation to weight is there ever a time you folks actually use an absurdly heavy weapon at the detriment of even getting doubled sometimes? Is the only case for most part to use a heavy weapon is it if secures a kill? The reason I ask is because if even if you try to abide by the weight system the most efficient weapons for most of the game without losing speed will just end up being iron weapons for alot of characters.

Sure. I'll equip most units with e.g. both an iron weapon and a steel weapon, using each one as the situation calls for it. The lighter weapon is better to avoid being doubled, or it it lets you double and the heavier one doesn't, while the heavier weapon may be the better choice against enemies that are slow enough to be doubled by that (or conversely, fast enough to be doubled by neither). If you're exclusively using one weapon to avoid being weighed down you probably aren't getting full offensive potential out of your units.

Yeah, there's a number of characters fast enough to double despite a Spd penalty (Shanna with Killer Lances is a big example) or situations where a character doesn't double to begin with, but still doesn't get doubled if they switch to a heavier weapon (e.g. Allen or Lance with a Steel Sword or Gant's Lance, although that's just a single point of Spd penalty before promotion).

If a character still kills with the lighter, weaker weapon, it's generally good to use that for the higher evasion, but heavy weapons can allow for a kill that you'd otherwise wouldn't get, or to avoid a counterattack by one-shotting the enemy.

4 hours ago, DoubleSpeedAttack said:

Is the only case for most part to use a heavy weapon is it if secures a kill?

I mean...what other reason do you need? A dead enemy can't hurt you, so it doesn't matter what your Spd loss is at that point.

All situations must be judged individually. Sometimes the Spd loss can be fatal, but other times it's negligible. Units have 5 inventory slots, so you can bring along different weapons and choose a heavier or lighter weapon to fit the situation.

That heavily depends on the situation. And the unit. For example, a unit like Shanna would best avoid steel lances, as they MURDER her AS (that said, steel lances and steel axes are best avoided in this game in general because they're too heavy and too inaccurate).

"Overweight" weapons are fine to use if:

1. They secure the kill in one shot without risking a counter-attack; AND

2a. The user won't be in range of enemies who can double on EP; OR

2b. You can use trade-strats after combat to switch to a lighter weapon.

The bigger problem with high-weight weapons, I've found, is that they tend to have iffy hit rates. The point of using one is to finish off a foe without risking a counter-attack. But if the Hit rate isn't there, then it can become a bigger risk  using the high-Mt/Wt option than just doubling with Iron. Of course, units with good Skill and Luck can overcome this issue.

On 6/5/2022 at 5:46 AM, Florete said:

I mean...what other reason do you need? A dead enemy can't hurt you, so it doesn't matter what your Spd loss is at that point.

All situations must be judged individually. Sometimes the Spd loss can be fatal, but other times it's negligible. Units have 5 inventory slots, so you can bring along different weapons and choose a heavier or lighter weapon to fit the situation.

You can kill an enemy with heavy weapon on player phase but then get doubled on enemy phase for still having it equipped when they come up to smack you in the face. I assumed you thought the scenario was "securing the kill with nobody around" though.

Because if you have a weapon after getting the kill, an enemy can come up to you on their enemy phase and smack you in the face for double attack since you still have that heavier weapon equipped. I assumed you meant "securing the kill when nobody else is around though"

Edited by DoubleSpeedAttack

On 6/6/2022 at 5:33 PM, DoubleSpeedAttack said:

Because if you have a weapon after getting the kill, an enemy can come up to you on their enemy phase and smack you in the face for double attack since you still have that heavier weapon equipped. I assumed you meant "securing the kill when nobody else is around though"

There can be other enemies around, but you should also have other allies around. If your weighed-down unit is going to be in danger from other enemies as a result of being weighed down, you have 4 options:

1. Trade a lighter weapon to the top of their inventory.
  2. Surround them so none of the other enemies can reach.
  3. Kill the other enemies with other allies.
  4. Rescue the unit and pull back.

At the end of the day it's just...strategy and playing the game. There's no single weapon that is the most optimal for every situation.

Edited by Florete

3 minutes ago, Florete said:

There can be other enemies around, but you should also have other allies around. If your weighed down unit is going to be in danger from other enemies as a result of being weighed down, you have 4 options:

1. Trade a lighter weapon to the top of their inventory.
  2. Surround them so none of the other enemies can reach.
  3. Kill the other enemies with other allies.
  4. Rescue the unit and pull back.

At the end of the day it's just...strategy and playing the game. There's no single weapon that is the most optimal for every situation.

Thanks for the input I do that rescue and pull back strategy alot with boss fighting as well. Unless my healer can just heal them to full again to face tank.