Feh Channel June 5, 2022

49 minutes ago, Mercakete said:

Edit again: Feh, you're cruel. "This GUY here is GHEE!" No. Guy is a guy named Guy. Urgh. (This bothers me. Knowing me, I'm not going to be swayed despite IS' localization team having the right to decide how to pronounce their characters' names.)

His name is spelled "Guy" and pronounced "ghee" even in Japanese (ギィ, gyi).

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As someone whose knowledge of the Japanese language is limited to most katakana ... yeah. Guy's name is not and never was ever pronounced "guy". FE7 deliberately chose for it to be pronounced "Gi" a long time ago.

28 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

His name is spelled "Guy" and pronounced "ghee" even in Japanese (ギィ, gyi).

Nice to know, but I don't see what that has to do with what I said. I already said, even in the bit of my post you quoted, that IS has the right to decide how their characters' names are pronounced. I was mostly talking about how Feh delivered that news, which seemed kind of scathing. Made it burn more, you know? (And, like I said, I feel the need for internal consistency, so I'm probably still going to call him "Guy" instead of "Ghee" even though I acknowledge that that's not how it's intended to be read, given my track record with not adjusting to pronunciation corrections. I.e., I still pronounce Renais as "ren-ay-ihs" and Lethe as "leth" with a short "e.")

Interesting that Letizia was added as a normal hero, and not as a Legendary or Mythic. Now I don't see why Ótr couldn't have the same fate.

Curious about Chaos Aether Raids. Looks interesting from what I saw, but I will wait for the notification to say more. One thing I liked is that Chaos AR has the One Dancer and One Savior limitation. That should be applies to normal AR too, honestly, but I know people would complain a lot so... better not.

Garland Moon Cup... Oh boy... I can't wait to receive my free Yuri later this month... I voted for Constances since one of my friends is +10ing her and because I wouldn't mind getting her.

12 minutes ago, Sunwoo said:

As someone whose knowledge of the Japanese language is limited to most katakana ... yeah. Guy's name is not and never was ever pronounced "guy". FE7 deliberately chose for it to be pronounced "Gi" a long time ago.

...Huh? When before now was his name ever said out loud for us to hear?

17 minutes ago, Florete said:

When it was written as "ギィ". Japanese phonetics tend to be pretty clear - that can only be pronounced "Gi".

Nice to see Guy, Ive been waiting for that guy. (hoho 😛)

But getting enough characters from the 4 star pool to get a +10 has been getting harder and harder Ive noticed, how big is that pool now?

18 minutes ago, Othin said:

When it was written as "ギィ". Japanese phonetics tend to be pretty clear - that can only be pronounced "Gi".

To be fair, the localization team does sometimes deviate from the Japanese pronunciations even when the spelling stays the same, but only rarely. Like very rarely.

"Renais" is the most notable one, as the "s" is pronounced in Japanese (ルネス, runesu) but not in the English localization.

There are also a few names where the Japanese and English pronunciations are different because the English localization uses an Anglicized pronunciation of the name, such as with Camus (JP: "kah-mü", EN: "kah-moo") and Thracia (JP: "trah-kee-uh", EN: "thray-see-uh"), but I don't really count those since the "original" pronunciation isn't really used in English.

Go figure Kent and Sain get added not long after I made a poll about Red & Green duos in Fire Emblem.

Nergal is still missing.  Not many Primary Antagonists left to add, and it doesn't help that he's one of those "evil sorcerer" villains which isn't original, so I think his chances are slim.

I was another who incorrectly thought Guy would be "Guy" and not "Ghee".

So much for Ascended Heroes following a theme.  While this is Florina's first alt, I don't think she fits the bill for an Ascended slot.

IS's **** sucking for Three Houses continues.  "Fatigue?  What's that?"

So when is Yune retroactively being changed to a Chaos Mythic instead of that blasphemous Dark Mythic?

Regarding the midpoint trailer... yeah fucking right. There's no way Veronica is actually going to die. Not only does IntSys not have the backbone, but with all the lead-up to this arc, not even IntSys could mess up so hard as have Embla solely be a plot device saying "Veronica will not be saved, fuck you."

Edited by Some Jerk

10 hours ago, Sunwoo said:

Lol, I totally didn't realize we even had a FEH channel. Until like 10 minutes ago.

So, uh, Ascended Florina is ... interesting? I'm a bit more okay with this than I was with Ishtar and Mareeta since Florina isn't a carbon copy of her base self and was in desperate need of a new, relevant alt (no, Ninja Lyn doesn't count) but unless we want to pretend she's Hector's wife in this universe or something what does she "ascend" to? Clearly, if there ever was a theme with the ascended heroes, it doesn't exist anymore.

I dunno. It makes perfect sense to me. If legendary heroes often aren’t actually legendary, and if almost none of the mythic heroes are actually mythic then it makes sense the ascended heroes won’t actually be ascended.

Pinch me, I must be dreaming. 

I finally get to have Guy in my barracks AND he's a free unit?!

Too bad those notes I made 4 years ago for build ideas are irrelevant now lol

So no one has been talking about the Three Houses " a hero rises" yet?  Anyway I will post here since I haven't found the thread if there is one.  I voted for S!Ashe first since he is the one I don't have but really want.  I think I will go with Dedue and Yuri as my other options since they both have good fodder, though I am tempted to vote for S!Dorothea but since I have her harmonic it wouldn't be that useful to me.  

As to the rest of the channel seems ok I am happy Askr is male (finally another male on team "good") and seeing Limstella in especially in Pride month is great. 

51 minutes ago, EricaofRenais said:

So no one has been talking about the Three Houses " a hero rises" yet?

Non-Nintendo Account voters can also vote. There was a high chance of it happening anyway, but enjoy your free og!Edelgard everyone(!)

Yeah, I'll vote for characters, but I fully expect Edelgard or something to win this Three Houses-themed Hero Rises.

On another note, I noticed that in the little section showcasing the Blazing Blade units, Fiora is there with Kent. Perhaps a reference to their supports.

10 minutes ago, EricaofRenais said:

So no one has been talking about the Three Houses " a hero rises" yet?  Anyway I will post here since I haven't found the thread if there is one.  I voted for S!Ashe first since he is the one I don't have but really want.  I think I will go with Dedue and Yuri as my other options since they both have good fodder, though I am tempted to vote for S!Dorothea but since I have her harmonic it wouldn't be that useful to me.  

Oh yeah, thanks for the reminder. I completely forgot about it myself. In case anyone else wants the link to easily find it: <https://garregmach.campaigns.fire-emblem-heroes.com/en-us/heroes>.

5 minutes ago, DefyingFates said:

Non-Nintendo Account voters can also vote. There was a high chance of it happening anyway, but enjoy your free og!Edelgard everyone(!)

I already got everyone I need, so I plan to vote for what I think are the most useful Heroes that players might need. But if a lot of random Heroes like Claude and Dimitri are topping the list during the mid term results despite having very little value, then I might as well just freaking vote Edelgard. Players deserve to suffer from Edelgard: Hegemon Husk at that point.

— — — — — — —

I do not want any 4* units, even if they are Special Heroes, cause I can just get them easily on their Foci myself. I already got all the 5* units I want, and the ones I do not have are not particularly great or I have no interest in. I really want to pick Edelgard, but she is not very useful right now and her Refine is still a long ways off.

If I did not have any of them, I guess the most useful would be Hapi for killing tanks, Yuri for extreme mobility, and Flayn for Save tanks. I do not think I will go for Flayn though, since she has been out for a long while, and players who want her should have plenty of chances to get her by now. I think I will go with Hapi for now, but I do not mind voting for Yuri either. Ingrid and Catherine can Sweep, but players keep complaining about melee sweeper being difficult to use. Shamir can sweep too, but she is not exactly reliable. I do not mind voting for them, but I am not sure if people want them.

Bernadetta: Frosty Shut-In can help set up HP conditions and Annette cam increase mobility, but both have very narrow and specific applications, so I will not vote for them either. Rhea: Witch of Creation got Dragon Wall, Dedue got Save, and Marianne got Duel, but I do not think I want to vote for fodder.

7 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

"Renais" is the most notable one, as the "s" is pronounced in Japanese (ルネス, runesu) but not in the English localization.

Quick question since you use Eiri & Eph's country for an example. How does Japanese spell and pronounce "renaissance"?

The term that casually means a revival. And more specifically when capitalized as a formal term, refers to the late-Medieval/Early Modern period in Europe that began in Italy and spread throughout the rest of the continent. (Can also be applied to earlier supposed cultural-intellectual flourishing periods in Dark/Middle Ages Europe, and other things like African-American culture in Harlem, NYC in the 1920s.)

Renaissance has made me think the royal twins got their country named after the time period. Have I been speculating on a connection that doesn't actually exist?

4 hours ago, FailWood said:

I was another who incorrectly thought Guy would be "Guy" and not "Ghee".

It's understandable if you don't get that hefty a dose of foreign culture, which happens to be the case for many of us. I think I was watching a documentary on the Black Death that mentioned a doctor to the Pope where I first realized the name could be pronounced as something other than "Gai".

10 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I think its supposed to be the French’s “guy” which indeed sounds like Ghee. Despite Guy being Mongolian.

"Sacae" -Saka/Scythia- preceded the Mongol Empire by like 1000 years or more.

Let's ignore that the Djutes, the major villain clan of Sacae, I'm guessing is named after a Germanic group -the Jutes- who came from Denmark and settled in England.

And, then we must ignore that Issach was stated in a Kaga interview from way back when to be Central Asia-inspired. And yet, the castle of Tir Na Nog therein is named after a Celtic land of myth, Chulainn a native of the country, has a Celtic hero's name, and the half-1st cousin of the crown prince is named after either the Celtic Queen of the Land of Shadows, or a province of Ireland. And said crown prince uses a legendary sword wielded by Siegfried/Sigurd from Norse-Germanic myth. As for the country's name, Issach sounds like it comes from the near-sacrificed son described in a holy book written in the Levant.

Does Guy having a French name matter all that much then?🤓

11 hours ago, Kori said:

Askr very meh, if the local god looked like some jock and a bovine i'd move to a different country,

At least it's a man this time? Bovine appearances assigned to women... yes I know cows have been important to humanity because they produce milk and only females can do that. Despite that basic biology, cosplaying female humanoids as bovines in popular entertainment... it comes off as misogynistic to me. Even when the character themselves isn't badly written -see Ys IX: Monstrum Nox and its Raging Bull for what I mean. I laughed with "I can't believe how bad this is!" when I first saw her, but I was able to move past that and came to like her well enough as a character actually. Big axe is big fun.

...I shouldn't have written this. I don't want to start the latest in a long line of off-topic sexualization arguments in the FEH forum.😅 

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

21 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

At least it's a man this time? Bovine appearances assigned to women... yes I know cows have been important to humanity because they produce milk and only females can do that. Despite that basic biology, cosplaying female humanoids as bovines in popular entertainment... it comes off as misogynistic to me. Even when the character themselves isn't badly written -see Ys IX: Monstrum and its Raging Bull for what I mean. I laughed with "I can't believe how bad this is!" when I first saw her, but I was able to move past that and came to like her well enough as a character actually. Big axe is big fun.

True, true. It made me wary of what they were going to do with Ash before we knew what her personality was like. At least Askr avoids that.

(Ah, yes, that certainly is a design that cares about the character's, hm, milk production. Glad to know she is fun regardless!)

How does Japan spell and pronounce "renaissance"?

Iirc that's indeed ルネサンス/runesansu.

(Meanwhile, I'm sitting on the opposite side of the Guy reveal, as french is my native tongue so I read it as Gi and expected to be corrected by the trailer.)

Edited by Kori

Embla and Askr be looking very good. Let's just hope they give them to us at the same time. Double Mythic Hero Banners are a good idea that I don't want IS to forget.

Especially since they forgot that having an OC on the banner makes an Ascended Hero not necessary to sell a banner 😞

Speaking of the banner, it is very cool (outside the unnecessary  Ascended that could have been Wil, Lowen, Isadora, anyone...).

Sain and Kent were a glaring hole to fill the FE7 cast. Now the most important character to get in the game is Oswin. And it's also cool that we get Limstella during Pride Month.

13 hours ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

So, for the next Blazing Blade banner (if the game lasts long enough for another one), Nergal has gotta get in, right? Right?!

Nah, we will get Ephidel first.

1 hour ago, DefyingFates said:

Don’t worry, the free Academy Edelgard will totally be worth it when she becomes the second Edelgard to get a busted refine.

8 hours ago, Florete said:

I can read katakana. His name was originally intended to be "Gi", whether it was said out loud or not.

2 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

It's understandable if you don't get that hefty a dose of foreign culture, which happens to be the case for many of us. I think I was watching a documentary on the Black Death that mentioned a doctor to the Pope where I first realized the name could be pronounced as something other than "Gai".

The World Cultures class I took back when I was in school didn't help with pronouncing names.

6 hours ago, DefyingFates said:

Hey, I'd rather have this than suddenly every player in the game having Yuri. If they want to waste their chance, let them do it.