Does the GBA FE games and FEFates need new characters?

11 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

I'm not sure I would support this idea; it'd already be a pretty big step backwards to go back to individual promotion items.

I've always liked the worldbuilding feel of different promotion items. A "Master Seal" is generic, where an Elysian Whip or Orion's Bolt make sense for the classes involved. It also puts a constraint on player options, encouraging diverse class usage. If we get a remake of any of the GBA games, I'd absolutely prefer they remain faithful on this front.

10 hours ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

Aw yeah, I can have Garcia as a warrior or a warrior! That's awesome!

The illusion of free choice.

12 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

In conclusion- Monk!Saul for the entire game would be a less: evasive, accurate, and crit-protected, and slightly less powerful, Lugh, if a tad faster. 

Impressive analysis! It sounds like making Saul go Monk would be trading a (broadly) better Ellen, for a (broadly) worse Lugh. Not the most promising trade-off.

14 hours ago, Jotari said:

Alright, I'll bite. Share ideas for Magvellian overclasses. Doesn't necessairly need to be here.

I'll @ you when I make the thread, likely sometime later this week.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

Shove niche? Low-tier player detected. Shove is one of the strongest skills in Fates, I would actually say it's better than Lancebreaker. It's not as fancy, but the practical applications of giving +1 movement to any unit you want each turn, ignoring terrain for that one movement, is pretty slick. No longer must an enemy taunt you from just out of range.

I'm not gonna lie, I found it MUCH more useful in the Tellius games, where it was innate to any non-mounted unit (thus I didn't need to go out of my way to make use of it), as opposed to needing to use one of several select units to even make use of it. To put things into perspective, only six characters have Oni Savage access without friendship/partner seal shenanigans, which don't even help that much because only one character can even give it to others... and she's often considered laughable, with the offensive presence of a dying hamster and defensive ability that is undermined by poor HP and luck. Also, one of those six is only available on Revelation.

12 hours ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

Sure, that might be an issue of Oni Chieftain's generally or as a concept (which basically means Rinkah), but Kumagera is actually really good at tanking and dealing physical damage.

You know who else is really good at tanking and dealing physical damage? Xander. Except I don't have to deploy a specific character that struggles to dent him and have him defeat him to get him. He's also nigh immune to critical hits, which Kumagera most definitely is NOT.

Edited by Shadow Mir

On 6/12/2022 at 7:31 PM, Jotari said:

Fates,  I'm not sure why it's even part of the conversation while Awakening and Tellius aren't.

Path of Radiance could have used a few extra characters. First, and most important, I think it would have benefited from a Bishop. There's a huge drought of recruitable staff users between getting (underleveled) Mist in chapter 9 and getting Elincia in chapter 26. Furthermore, Rhys is the only playable unit who can use light magic. Having a playable Bishop would solve both problems. Somewhere around about chapter 17 or 18 would be a natural storyline fit. Second, there should be a playable non-royal Raven, since you don't get one and there's no real reason why you shouldn't. Nealuchi could have been added fiarly easily, or there could have been anew original character, but to me, the obvious choice would have been to have Vika join at the same time as Tormod and Muarim. Finally, I think it would have been nice to have seen a second Fighter or Warrior, since Boyd is the only one, but I don't think that's too big a deal.

Radiant Dawn definitely doesn't need more characters. It already has a huge cast. Some tweaks to availability and to class frequency might have been nice, but not more people. If anything, maybe it would have been nice if they could have found a way to bring Largo back, but I can easily live without him.

On 6/12/2022 at 1:31 PM, Jotari said:

Fates,  I'm not sure why it's even part of the conversation while Awakening and Tellius aren't.

Honestly, I would say Radiant Dawn is stuffed character wise as is.

32 minutes ago, lenticular said:

Path of Radiance could have used a few extra characters. First, and most important, I think it would have benefited from a Bishop. There's a huge drought of recruitable staff users between getting (underleveled) Mist in chapter 9 and getting Elincia in chapter 26. Furthermore, Rhys is the only playable unit who can use light magic. Having a playable Bishop would solve both problems. Somewhere around about chapter 17 or 18 would be a natural storyline fit. Second, there should be a playable non-royal Raven, since you don't get one and there's no real reason why you shouldn't. Nealuchi could have been added fiarly easily, or there could have been anew original character, but to me, the obvious choice would have been to have Vika join at the same time as Tormod and Muarim. Finally, I think it would have been nice to have seen a second Fighter or Warrior, since Boyd is the only one, but I don't think that's too big a deal.

I'm more miffed that light magic is a complete joke in Path of Radiance, personally. Honestly, it's no big loss that Path of Radiance has only one user of light magic when it's just plain awful (2 might and 4 weight on the basic light tome?? What a frigging joke! Adding insult to injury, the ultimate light tome is in the final chapter... but is not obtainable without a convoluted series of steps, because the enemy that has it doesn't drop it when killed. Also, Nosferatu is just bad in this game; probably even worse than it was in Blazing Blade and Sacred Stones).

Edited by Shadow Mir

14 hours ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

By "they only made one class instead of two, I mean that each trainee promotes into pre-existing classes. Only one class has to be created for each trainee. By re-adding nomads to Sacred Stones for the bow trainee, you have to add two classes basically for one character.

Make that three classes.

I still just don't understand what you're saying. Ross can promote into fighter or pirate, and from there into warrior, berserker or hero. Aside from his default trainee class, all of these were pre-existing classes in Fire Emblem. Amelia and Ewan also promote into pre-existing classes. At third tier they get summoner and great knight which didn't exist in previous games (though maybe great knight existed in Jugdral as a name or something, as a concept it didn't) but this really has nothing to do with the trainee classes and everything to do with branching classes as a concept. Shaman needs something promote to other than Summoner. And even with all that, a bow locked tier 1 class wouldnt even be a new class for the series. Even in the strictest sense of it needs to have the same aesthetic and weapon types, bow locked cavalry existed in Jugdral as Arch Knights. So nothing new is being invented aside from something for Arch Knights to promote to aside from Bow Knights. You're just cha gong the aesthetic they had with nomads which was already done with bow knights at tier 2.

1 hour ago, lenticular said:

Wow I never noticed that staff drout, but youre right, that's kind if insane. Even the sages you get dont come with staves.

1 hour ago, lenticular said:

Radiant Dawn definitely doesn't need more characters. It already has a huge cast. Some tweaks to availability and to class frequency might have been nice, but not more people. If anything, maybe it would have been nice if they could have found a way to bring Largo back, but I can easily live without him.

Despite having the second biggest cast in the series, Radiant Dawn still manages to have some oddities. Like Ilyana being the only thunder mage and thus having exclusive access to Rex Thunder. But over all I agree that Radiant Dawn's cast is already stuffed to the max and such oddities would be better addressed via a reclassing mechanic. Which is why I made a thread precisely about that not too long ago.

1 hour ago, Jotari said:

Wow I never noticed that staff drout, but youre right, that's kind if insane. Even the sages you get dont come with staves.

That has to be one of their dumbest design choices ever. There's no scenario where a sage would want to use knives, because one, they're fragile, and two, they are always gonna do more damage with magic. It'd make sense if there were enemies that were immune to magic, like was the case in SD and New Mystery, but the only enemies in PoR who this applies to are also immune to pretty much everything else, and one of those is the final boss of the game. Adding insult to injury, Bastian comes with a stiletto, but armored units, which it is effective against, have much higher defence than resistance, and second, Path of Radiance has 2x effectiveness in all versions.

6 hours ago, Jotari said:

I still just don't understand what you're saying. Ross can promote into fighter or pirate, and from there into warrior, berserker or hero. Aside from his default trainee class, all of these were pre-existing classes in Fire Emblem. Amelia and Ewan also promote into pre-existing classes. At third tier they get summoner and great knight which didn't exist in previous games (though maybe great knight existed in Jugdral as a name or something, as a concept it didn't) but this really has nothing to do with the trainee classes and everything to do with branching classes as a concept. Shaman needs something promote to other than Summoner. And even with all that, a bow locked tier 1 class wouldnt even be a new class for the series. Even in the strictest sense of it needs to have the same aesthetic and weapon types, bow locked cavalry existed in Jugdral as Arch Knights. So nothing new is being invented aside from something for Arch Knights to promote to aside from Bow Knights. You're just cha gong the aesthetic they had with nomads which was already done with bow knights at tier 2.

One of us must be the dumbest boy alive.

For all three trainee units, their trainee class is the only class that is unique to them. Brigands and pirates may only appear as enemies apart from Ross, but they do actually appear.

However, for this bow trainee, their tier 0 class would not be the only class of which they were the game's only instance. There are no nomads in FE8, either recruitable or as an enemy. Even if the "culturally indistinct nomad" could promote to Ranger, there are no other mounted bow classes for them to promote into, so that would be a third class which the bow trainee was your only potential instance of.

In other words, there would be three classes which only exist so this one character can use them, which I think is a little excessive. We're not talking about Corrin here, but some trainee unit.

cha gong

9 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

You know who else is really good at tanking and dealing physical damage? Xander. Except I don't have to deploy a specific character that struggles to dent him and have him defeat him to get him. He's also nigh immune to critical hits, which Kumagera most definitely is NOT.

"A unit who is not as good as Xander is bad"

I mean, if that's your chosen battleground.

Shove is still good.

Edited by AnonymousSpeed

8 hours ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

Being worse than Xander is one thing. But when I have to jump through a bunch of hoops for someone who is inferior to Xander, as well as most of my other units, which Kumagera is, they don't even deserve to be given the time of day.

2 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

Being worse than Xander is one thing. But when I have to jump through a bunch of hoops for someone who is inferior to Xander, as well as most of my other units, which Kumagera is, they don't even deserve to be given the time of day.

They are fictional characters, they have no time of day. Out of the 20 characters you're likely to have by Chapter 14, how many are better than Kumagera? Is Charlotte? Nyx? Arthur? Niles? Odin?

The hoops which you have to jump through:

• Walk up with Niles
  • Select "Capture"
  • Reduce Kumagera's HP to 0

Kumagera has 21 defense on Lunatic. Niles has a base 9 strength, +10 from a +1 forged iron bow (you'll want this for the Kinshis anyway), and then basically any strength pair-up or a tonic will let him capture Kumagera. On 0% growths. Poison Strike and Savage Blow and basic math can be used to bring him to low HP, and then you may jump through the unnecessarily complicated three-step process of hoops listed above.

15 hours ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

One of us must be the dumbest boy alive.

For all three trainee units, their trainee class is the only class that is unique to them. Brigands and pirates may only appear as enemies apart from Ross, but they do actually appear.

However, for this bow trainee, their tier 0 class would not be the only class of which they were the game's only instance. There are no nomads in FE8, either recruitable or as an enemy. Even if the "culturally indistinct nomad" could promote to Ranger, there are no other mounted bow classes for them to promote into, so that would be a third class which the bow trainee was your only potential instance of.

In other words, there would be three classes which only exist so this one character can use them, which I think is a little excessive. We're not talking about Corrin here, but some trainee unit.

cha gong

Shove is still good.

Ah okay. I got you now. Though I don't really see it as a massive issue as throwing some enemies in wouldn't be the most infeasible thing (and I think Ross is the only Pirate in Sacred Stones, certainly the only playable pirate. And I can't think of any pirate bosses, maybe there's a few ylgeneric pirates though, in which case refer back to what unsaid before about adding enemies not being difficult).

6 hours ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

They are fictional characters, they have no time of day. Out of the 20 characters you're likely to have by Chapter 14, how many are better than Kumagera? Is Charlotte? Nyx? Arthur? Niles? Odin?

Seems what I meant to say went completely over your head. I guess I shouldn't be surprised. What I meant to say is that, someone who needs that much effort to get on my side just to be inferior to most of the units I'll be using by the time I can actually make use of him doesn't deserve to be acknowledged, only treated like the gum on the bottom of my shoe. I take that back, I'd treat the gum on the bottom of my shoe better than Kumagera, or any character that needs capture to get, for that matter.

4 hours ago, Jotari said:

Ah okay. I got you now. Though I don't really see it as a massive issue as throwing some enemies in wouldn't be the most infeasible thing (and I think Ross is the only Pirate in Sacred Stones, certainly the only playable pirate. And I can't think of any pirate bosses, maybe there's a few generic pirates though, in which case refer back to what unsaid before about adding enemies not being difficult).

There are some pirates in Sacred Stones. Namely, in chapter 9 Eirika, chapter 10 Ephraim, and chapter 13 Ephraim. Especially the former, which has that one village that all but needs Seth to save.

6 hours ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

The hoops which you have to jump through:

• Walk up with Niles
  • Select "Capture"
  • Reduce Kumagera's HP to 0

Kumagera has 21 defense on Lunatic. Niles has a base 9 strength, +10 from a +1 forged iron bow (you'll want this for the Kinshis anyway), and then basically any strength pair-up or a tonic will let him capture Kumagera. On 0% growths. Poison Strike and Savage Blow and basic math can be used to bring him to low HP, and then you may jump through the unnecessarily complicated three-step process of hoops listed above.

Nice of you to tell me what needs doing, but of course, there was no point, because when I play Conquest Lunatic, I'll do it my way. The only issue I have is that the only unit with has Poison Strike also has a TERRIBLE matchup against him.

Edited by Shadow Mir

14 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

Seems what I meant to say went completely over your head. I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

I'm rubber you're glue I'm rubber you're glue.

You turned me into a condom, Mir. I expect reparations!

What I meant to say is that, someone who needs that much effort to get on my side just to be inferior to most of the units I'll be using by the time I can actually make use of him doesn't deserve to be acknowledged, only treated like the gum on the bottom of my shoe. I take that back, I'd treat the gum on the bottom of my shoe better than Kumagera, or any character that needs capture to get, for that matter.

Right, the better characters, such as the long list you gave, consisting of Xander, and, uh...

Rally Man OP, sorry.

Nice of you to tell me what needs doing, but of course, there was no point, because when I play Conquest Lunatic, I'll do it my way. The only issue I have is that the only unit with has Poison Strike also has a TERRIBLE matchup against him.

That's fine, you don't have to use Kumagera. I didn't use Camilla my first run. Both of them are still good.

You really only need to survive one round. His terrible match-up is almost a boon, since he runs very little risk of killing Kumagera. Shuriken defuff also makes it even easier to Niles to capture.

4 hours ago, Jotari said:

Ah okay. I got you now. Though I don't really see it as a massive issue as throwing some enemies in wouldn't be the most infeasible thing (and I think Ross is the only Pirate in Sacred Stones, certainly the only playable pirate. And I can't think of any pirate bosses, maybe there's a few ylgeneric pirates though, in which case refer back to what unsaid before about adding enemies not being difficult).

Adding enemies has the potential to be messy, if the new formation is worse than the original. A 7-move unit which deals effective damage could mess things up quite a bit.

There are some pirates in Sacred Stones. Namely, in chapter 9 Eirika, chapter 10 Ephraim, and chapter 13 Ephraim. Especially the former, which has that one village that all but needs Seth to save.

Yeah, that chapter sucks. I only remembered chapter 9 Eirika, thanks for bringing up the Ephraim route chapters.

13 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

Yeah I thought there's probably pirates in that one chapter. Still, I think the boss is a Warrior. No named Pirates.

Adding enemies has the potential to be messy, if the new formation is worse than the original. A 7-move unit which deals effective damage could mess things up quite a bit.

Well that's a poor excuse. Sure, high move high range enemies can be awful to fight, Anna's paralogue definitely proves that. But just...don't use them badly. Of course it needs to clarified what we're talking about, either what should have been done from the start or what could potentially be done in a remake. But in either case, assuming a decent amount of additional content in a remake, it's kind of moot.

Edited by Jotari

On 6/12/2022 at 4:40 PM, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

IMO this would just make Amelia worse. At least as a Recruit, she can get into a couple really good classes (Cavalier -> Paladin). Getting another Armor Knight could be interesting, but I'm not sure where they'd fit in. Maybe a Rausten Knight who's trying to catch up with L'arachel?

Yeah, it would definitely make her even weaker. But I personally just don't mind having a Wendy-tier unit in a game. :lol: For an actually "viable" Knight, a Rausten soldier joining in the midgame in the 12-15 level range would be a much better idea, of course.

On 6/14/2022 at 7:22 PM, AnonymousSpeed said:

Right, the better characters, such as the long list you gave, consisting of Xander, and, uh...

Rally Man OP, sorry.

I mentioned Xander specifically because he comes not too long after the chapter in question, and he's pretty much Kumagera on steroids, and in a superior class. Also, this is the point where the characters that comprise my main team start promoting, which only makes matters worse for Kumagera. Which makes me wonder, when do your other units start promoting? Around the chapter 15/16 mark?

On 6/14/2022 at 7:22 PM, AnonymousSpeed said:

That's fine, you don't have to use Kumagera. I didn't use Camilla my first run. Both of them are still good.

You really only need to survive one round. His terrible match-up is almost a boon, since he runs very little risk of killing Kumagera. Shuriken defuff also makes it even easier to Niles to capture.

The thing is, Camilla would be pretty much impossible to replace, largely because no one else can replicate her personal skill. 

On 6/15/2022 at 8:05 AM, Jotari said:

Yeah I thought there's probably pirates in that one chapter. Still, I think the boss is a Warrior. No named Pirates.

Correct. Not that we're talking about it, have there been any named enemy pirates since the Archanea saga? Because most of the only ones I can think of happen to be bandits or brigands, class wise (Barth in Gaiden/SoV [he calls himself the Pirate King], Havetti, and Nedata in PoR).

On 6/14/2022 at 1:08 PM, AnonymousSpeed said:

Out of the 20 characters you're likely to have by Chapter 14, how many are better than Kumagera?

No answer?

1 hour ago, Shadow Mir said:

Which makes me wonder, when do your other units start promoting? Around the chapter 15/16 mark?

No answer.

2 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

I mentioned Xander specifically because he comes not too long after the chapter in question, and he's pretty much Kumagera on steroids, and in a superior class. Also, this is the point where the characters that comprise my main team start promoting, which only makes matters worse for Kumagera. Which makes me wonder, when do your other units start promoting? Around the chapter 15/16 mark?

The thing is, Camilla would be pretty much impossible to replace, largely because no one else can replicate her personal skill. 

Correct. Not that we're talking about it, have there been any named enemy pirates since the Archanea saga? Because most of the only ones I can think of happen to be bandits or brigands, class wise (Barth in Gaiden/SoV [he calls himself the Pirate King], Havetti, and Nedata in PoR).

Surely the pirates that attack during the first chapter with Mist and Rolf in Path of Radiance are named pirates. Or, well maybe not. They have dialogue and talk about Shanty Pete at least.

23 hours ago, Jotari said:

Surely the pirates that attack during the first chapter with Mist and Rolf in Path of Radiance are named pirates. Or, well maybe not. They have dialogue and talk about Shanty Pete at least.

That's Nedata. And he and the enemies that show up along that end of the map are identified as pirates on the conditions screen iirc.

On 6/17/2022 at 6:31 PM, AnonymousSpeed said:

No answer?

No answer.

Okay, you asked for it. I find Corrin, Xander, Camilla, Elise, Leo, Azura, Effie, Benny, Selena, Ophelia, Soleil, Nina, Beruka, Percy, Sophie, Midori, Felicia, and Velouria all to be better than Kumagera (as I said before, by the time Kumagera is relevant, my own units are all starting to promote, so yeah).

Hmmm... maybe make character recruitment's choices more often? (Like picking Arran and his other counterpart who's name sadly escape's me. RIP that guy)

This way, you could have different units for multiple playthroughs, and more characters? And ofc not giving them the same statspread/skills if viable in X game.

On 6/17/2022 at 9:07 PM, Jotari said:

Nedata? He be a mere poser! He claims the life of a pirate, but in reality, a bandit be he.

On 6/19/2022 at 8:33 AM, lightcosmo said:

Hmmm... maybe make character recruitment's choices more often? (Like picking Arran and his other counterpart who's name sadly escape's me. RIP that guy)

Samson.

I like the idea of unit choices, although I prefer they happen for substantial narrative reasons. Like route-exclusive units in 3H.

13 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Samson.

I like the idea of unit choices, although I prefer they happen for substantial narrative reasons. Like route-exclusive units in 3H.

SAMSON! That's it! Thank you! 

I thought we were going from a gameplay PoV only, sorry about that!

On 6/21/2022 at 7:47 AM, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Nedata? He be a mere poser! He claims the life of a pirate, but in reality, a bandit be he.

Samson.

A Bandit who can walk on water! I guess they just gave that ability to bandits and didn't make pirate a dedicated class as that's the one chapter in the game that actually has pirates in a narrative capacity. Weird to think, but it's true, Archanea is the only place in the series with names enemy pirates (and pirates in general as a class haven't been seen since Sacred Stones where there was only the hypothetical Ross).

On 6/18/2022 at 9:06 PM, Shadow Mir said:

Okay, you asked for it. I find Corrin, Xander, Camilla, Elise, Leo, Azura, Effie, Benny, Selena, Ophelia, Soleil, Nina, Beruka, Percy, Sophie, Midori, Felicia, and Velouria all to be better than Kumagera

I did ask for it, thank you. Benny very good, of course. I've been wondering if it's best to insta-promote him.

I don't typically recruit child units, so I can't speak too terribly much to the quality (which depends on your pairings, naturally). I do think you'd have a lot of trouble recruiting Midori, Soleil, or Velouria before Kumagera though. With Conquest giving you around 15 deployment slots on an average chapter, you'd have room for characters off that list depending on how efficiently you managed your supports.

On 6/18/2022 at 9:06 PM, Shadow Mir said:

(as I said before, by the time Kumagera is relevant, my own units are all starting to promote, so yeah).

I don't really see why this would matter, though. Kumagera is already promoted and has competitive stats with your own characters on Lunatic difficulty.

On 6/19/2022 at 8:33 AM, lightcosmo said:

Not sure what I think of that, it could be interesting. Presumably, as implied by the word choice, this would be more mix-and-match than something like Fates was, where your roster necessarily comes in sets depending on the game you play?

8 minutes ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

Not sure what I think of that, it could be interesting. Presumably, as implied by the word choice, this would be more mix-and-match than something like Fates was, where your roster necessarily comes in sets depending on the game you play

I'm not really totally sure of how it would work, it was just an idea!

11 minutes ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

I did ask for it, thank you. Benny very good, of course. I've been wondering if it's best to insta-promote him.

I don't typically recruit child units, so I can't speak too terribly much to the quality (which depends on your pairings, naturally). I do think you'd have a lot of trouble recruiting Midori, Soleil, or Velouria before Kumagera though. With Conquest giving you around 15 deployment slots on an average chapter, you'd have room for characters off that list depending on how efficiently you managed your supports.

I don't really see why this would matter, though. Kumagera is already promoted and has competitive stats with your own characters on Lunatic difficulty.

Not sure what I think of that, it could be interesting. Presumably, as implied by the word choice, this would be more mix-and-match than something like Fates was, where your roster necessarily comes in sets depending on the game you play?

This off topic Kumagera thing has been going on quite a while. It's fun (though Mir will never, ever change his mind about anything), but what about a dedicated topic about capture units? They're not something I've ever messed around with myself, so I'd like to see a few more opinons float around about other enemies worth capturing that people could suggest and compare.