Billy Kametz, VA of Ferdinand, Passes Away.

ZeManaphy

I don't know if this belongs in serious discussion, or if there has been a thread on it, but Billy Kametz, VA of Ferdinand von Aegir, has passed away after fighting colon cancer at age of 35. Rest in Peace Billy. We miss you and we will never forget our you warmed our hearts with " I am Ferdinand von Aegir ! "

https://www.gofundme.com/f/support-billy-kametz?viewupdates=1&rcid=r01-16549830623-e0f52d6ae9cd11ec&utm_medium=email&utm_source=customer&utm_campaign=p_email%2B1137-update-supporters-v5b

Spoiler

Hello,

This isn’t the update I wanted to write. Billy left us earlier this week.

I ask that you forgive the slightly delayed update as we worked to notify loved ones first.

His full obituary is below. Please note the link to the guestbook, I’m sure his family would love to hear your memories and well wishes.

I am going to close this GFM formally on Tuesday, June 14, to allow for final thoughts and donations. Anything contributed that wasn’t already used for Billy’s treatments will go toward his celebration of life and funeral. The family would equally love contributions to the Colon Cancer Coalition in Billy’s honor if you prefer that. Details are below.

Most importantly, I hope you know how appreciated you all were and how much strength you provided. Billy and I would regularly share thoughts of disbelief and joy at the outpouring of generosity you all gave him.

Know that he left this world peacefully, knowing how loved he is and always will be. I miss my friend terribly. But it comforts me that his legacy will continue with his work and all of the fans who are even now discovering what an extraordinary man he was.

Thank you.
-Jinnie
——

Billy Kametz Obituary
Billy P. Kametz, 35, of Middletown entered eternal rest on Thursday, June 9, 2022 at M.S. Hershey Medical Center.

Edited by ZeManaphy

Bro I am so sad.... Playing Three Hopes and hearing his voice is gonna hit so different..... I'll share a story of how his character impacted me:

When I first played Three Houses, I remember falling in love with all the students, even the ones I didn't recruit. Their voce acting and personality was so filled with life, I was so surprised how much I enjoyed their character. Before the game, Ferdinanad was a character I was sure I wouldn't care for, but he was actually the first student I ever talked to ironically when getting to meet all the students. His character gave me a taste of just how charming the cast can be. He was a really cool and funny guy!! Later throughout the game, I didn't get to recruit everybody, including Ferdinand, this will lead to me getting to the timeskip and meeting him on the battlefield. Seeing him again and battling him was so tragic to me, and after his death, it was honestly the most surprisingly saddest moment for me regarding a character death.... I didn't expect to feel the most sad from Ferdinand of all characters compared to all the other students I had to fight. Billy Kametz knocked it out of the park with Ferdinand.  He will always be an iconic FE character and remembered forever. After all, how do you forget a character that announces his name proudly: The great Ferdinand von Aegir!

R.I.P.

Little did I know, I will be heartbroken from the person behind the voice's passing as well.... Great guy!! Great voice!! Thank you for being apart of the Fire Emblem franchise, one of my favorite series ever!! ❤️

Edited by TheChoZenOne

It usually takes a few different characters for a single recognizable voice to start clicking in my brain, especially so with the LA voicecast, though I have generally become more aware of those voices now in recent years. First time I heard Billy's voice was of course Ferdinand von Aegir, and then the next one that helped make it click was--as I hinted last time--Naofumi Iwatani, titular hero of The Rising of the Shield Hero, currently my favorite anime. Billy really brought Naofumi to life; his delivery made made me really feel the hell the character was going through. And while he was recast for Season 2 (and now likely onwards), I've gotta say even after just five episodes the new actor's been doing a fantastic job. His portrayal is nearly spot on, I almost wouldn't have realized it wasn't Billy.

Usually I'm a little bummed when I hear one of these voice actors has died, but with this one I'm rather torn.

Billy Kametz, you will be sorely missed. 😔

Praying for the family. 

Billy's role as Ferdinand is all I really know him from, but he brought that character to life in so many ways, as I'm sure he did to every role and character. Though he may be gone, through his work he'll live on. In our hearts and the hearts of thousands if not millions of future players and viewers of his work, he will continue to live on. May he rest in peace and in power, and may his family be granted peace. 

I'm still at a loss right now, I was looking through the FEH reddit when the news dropped and I couldn't believe it when I first read it. 

RIP Billy, you were a talented voice actor who gave a great performance in characters like Ferdinand and Blue, and my heart goes out to your friends and family.