Remember when Micaiah was really hated?

♠Soul♠

1 hour ago, Florete said:

I never understood why this was so strange to people. She won him the throne. She's his general. She trusts him. When he gives her orders she follows them, even if she doesn't understand them, because she trusts that his decisions are made in the best interest of Daein. And hey, she was technically right about that.

Well, she went against the explicit wishes of basically everybody above or equal to her in the hierachy when saving those prisoners in the swamp. I find that Micky regresses from somebody with independent thoughts to somebody "just following orders" to, eventually, Yune's sock puppet, making way for Ike to take over as Mr Super Awesome Shonen Protagonist again. And that last part is something that irks me about FE in general, the general inability to allow a female character to have and remain in a leading role.

I will say that I can see good reason for her to not act on her own morality: Izuka accused her of actively trying to outperform Pelleas in order to take the throne for herself, and if I recall correctly, the soldiers hailing her after the swamp map signaled to her that yeah, OK, maybe I could come across that way. From that angle, I would understand that she defers to Pelleas's authority even against her own judgement. However, I don't think that this line of thinking is brought up at all in pt.3. And besides, I don't think she even speaks up behind closed doors because of the whole "he means well" sense that she's getting.

(Plus, it really annoys me that what brings the plot forward end up being Sothe acting especially precious-waifu-must-protect over Micaiah. Have I mentioned lately that I don't like RD!Sothe?)

1 hour ago, Shrimpolaris said:

Many of us don't see a good reason for that trust.

There are reasons that her trust for Pelleas isn't just the everyday normal trust you see between two characters. Not sure if you remember or not, but one of her powers would make her feel that Pelleas's heart was in the right place (and it was) 

Also idk why people assume had Micaiah asked Pelleas "why" he would have just told her everything right there and then. If he wanted to tell her something that he thinks she should know, he would have told her from the start, and I think she knows that. One of her lines hints that she knew he's likely not telling her everything and that there has to be more to the story.

Micaiah: I don't know. I do know that King Pelleas wants what's best for Daein...just like us. He must know something we don't.

1 hour ago, Shrimpolaris said:

And following your (army) supervisor/leader no matter what is a recipe for disaster, atleast in my opinion (and @ping as well)

Even if she didn't follow his wishes, Daein would had joined the war anyway. Micaiah, who's even more beloved than the king, going against him after their country had just begun to be rebuild is also a recipe for disaster. You make her situation sounds way more simple than it actually is.

And lastly, she legit asks Tauroneo to try and talk Pelleas and see if he could make him change his mind. But somehow people never mention this when they talk about early part 3 Micaiah. 

Edited by Rose482

21 hours ago, Rose482 said:

Like for example, the two people above me calling her a "nationalist" for not going the route that would lead her country to ruins really sorta showcases this.

I am Sock Puppet, not Straw Man. I never said that. 

2 hours ago, Rose482 said:

You make her situation sounds way more simple than it actually is.

No, i know her situation and that Daein would've joined the war amyway thanks to the stupid blood pact, and i also know about Miccy's power.

Doesn't change my opinion on her or character. Thr end result might've been the same, but the rebellion leader of part 1 to appearcin some kind, even with just a simple question like "why?" would've really increased my opinion on her. The King could mean well, but with an advisor like Izuka...

Not to mention one could question the king or have a private audience without openly rebelling.

Pelleas in neither charismatic nor does he have good advisors.

Edited by Shrimpolaris

It's not that she isn't hated anymore, it's just that Fire Emblem reached new lows in term of Mary Sueness. Kris, Robin, Corrin...

It's hard to complain about an old thing when the new things are way worse than the old thing.

Edited by B.Leu

Honestly...no. Like I was around in that time. But I don't actually remember anyone with decent take downs of her. More people trying to argue whether she was or not (while simultaneously decrying the term as generally bad). But no significant number of people truly, actually, upset with her like with the more recent Edelgard and Rhea.

5 hours ago, Original Johan Liebert said:

She'll never be as cool as her sister Sanaki, am I right Soul?

jajajajaaj, why are you asking me.

Is this some kind of rehash on my past. :awesome:

I only remember one LPer (I already forgot their name) who despised her and called her "Mary Sue" for some reason.

After researching the term, I noticed it does not even match to her character and ideals.

Aside of that I never could hate Micaiah because she is the mascot of my all time favorite videogame.

Micy was indeed hated but you know what FE fans hate more ? Modern FE. So we'll always hear how perfect older FE were and how shitty new FE are.

That and also so few people have played Tellius game, so if nobody played the game, nobody can talk shit about Micaiah. That and a lot of people like her more because of her design or the fact people want Tellius representation into Heroes.

7 hours ago, ♠Soul♠ said:

jajajajaaj, why are you asking me.

Is this some kind of rehash on my past. :awesome:

Not planning on a detailed look, but I think Sanaki is cooler than Micaiah too.

I still think Micaiah is interesting enough.

EDIT-Sorry, I thought this was FftF.

Edited by Original Johan Liebert

Ah, I recall the good 'ol days of "Miccy Sue". A heroine beloved by all, with an unusual appearance trait and even more peculiar powers! She probably has a super special lineage, which is so unlike any other FE lords.

Honestly, the term "Mary Sue" means so many things to so many people, it should probably just be retired. Like, the original "Mary Sue" was a wish-fulfillment self-insert OC, so is being a self-insert character a significant component of the archetype? Who knows?

On 6/16/2022 at 7:08 PM, ping said:

I find that Micky regresses from somebody with independent thoughts to somebody "just following orders" to, eventually, Yune's sock puppet, making way for Ike to take over as Mr Super Awesome Shonen Protagonist again. And that last part is something that irks me about FE in general, the general inability to allow a female character to have and remain in a leading role.

And this is why I lost interest in purchasing the Tellius games (and Shadows if Valentia for that matter). Aside from the games now costing an arm and a leg. She and Ike really gives me the impression that RD pretends to be not b/w when it still is, especially with Ike.

Edited by henrymidfields

On 6/25/2022 at 11:48 AM, henrymidfields said:

And this is why I lost interest in purchasing the Tellius games (and Shadows if Valentia for that matter). Aside from the games now costing an arm and a leg. She and Ike really gives me the impression that RD pretends to be not b/w when it still is, especially with Ike.

I suggest you see the story for yourself before jumping to conclusions... at least, once the Tellius games are affordable. Hopefully a remake or remaster will come along.

As for whether or not RD "pretends to be not b/w when it still is", I have played RD multiple times, and I think that's tricky to answer (though part of that may be because I haven't played Radiant Dawn in a long time). I'd say that it overall is a fairly b/w story that dabbles in grey, if that makes sense. The thing to remember in any discussion about part 3's storyline in particular is that everyone is being played; it's just the most transparent in Micaiah's case because they know they're being played as their being forced against their will to join the war, and that really greys a lot of what was seemingly b/w earlier in the game.

23 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

I suggest you see the story for yourself before jumping to conclusions... at least, once the Tellius games are affordable.

*ahem*

So. I know it's a little off-topic, but you guys ever go dolphin watching?

26 minutes ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

*ahem*

So. I know it's a little off-topic, but you guys ever go dolphin watching?

No, I do not emulate games. I have great respect for video game preservation, but I don't personally emulate games.

Just now, vanguard333 said:

No, I do not emulate games. I have great respect for video game preservation, but I don't personally emulate games.

Ayo, I will not attempt to convince you to veer away from this personal policy.

3 minutes ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

Ayo, I will not attempt to convince you to veer away from this personal policy.

Less of a personal policy and more just a combination of not knowing enough of how to use emulators and not wanting to then have to navigate the minefield of making sure the ROMs I would then have to use are legally-obtained (emulators are 100% legal, but obtaining the ROMs is a complex legal grey area).

Anyway, going back to Radiant Dawn and Micaiah, what's your opinion on @henrymidfields saying that Micaiah and Ike give the impression of "Radiant Dawn [pretending] to be not black-&-white when it is"?