Will you still be here when you're 30?

This is mostly a question for the young'uns like @Shaky Jones and @Benice, and to a lesser extent @Saint Rubenio and myself.

Do you see yourself still posting on SF when you're 30 years old?

To be honest, I think that would be kinda weird. I enjoy talking smack and all, but different things are appropriate for different ages, and I would probably rather have other hobbies and commitments than online communities by then. It's funny- I'm also in this online tabletop group with a bunch of people who are all well over 30, but I don't think I want to keep that hobby going to that age either.

I feel like I should have other things to do by then, but I'm not exactly sure what. Build a gazebo or something. Read a lot of books. Set up a rocking chair by the side of the road and sell strawberries. Y'know?

Anyway. Asking my bros what their plans are concerning that.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been here since I was 16 (and lurking since I was 15 and a half), and I'll turn 30 next year. So yes, I definitely see myself here next year. XD

Wow, I'm close to having been a Serenes member for half my life.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

I hope so! I've met some great people on this site, and I enjoy the community. We'll see what happens in the next 14 years, though; that's a pretty meaningful chunk 'o time.

33 minutes ago, Shrimpolaris said:

This just in guys: when you are 30 you automatically lose interest in FE and in talking about it online

I was going to have a line about how "I'll probably still be playing FE, even if I stop posting about it online", but 7 years is a lot of time to be playing Conquest. There will new games, but how can I be sure they'll actually appeal to me? Would I want my kids to see it?

27 minutes ago, Benice said:

I hope so! I've met some great people on this site, and I enjoy the community. We'll see what happens in the next 14 years, though; that's a pretty meaningful chunk 'o time.

Who can say what will happen? I mean, 14 years ago was 2008. Most of my cousins didn't exist 14 years ago (depending on your ideas about the soul and definition of existence). People get cell-phones for work now. That would have been insane in 2008.

Edited by AnonymousSpeed

I get that there's a ton of 30s in this site. I would say that makes this normal to me, but honestly, I do get a bit weirded out by the idea. I lost interest in many things as I got older, and I'm still a young skeleton. We don't age in appearance, but the law doesn't allow us to remain children forever. I really hope I move onto other things. Preferably, I get into a relationship and focus on that, but if not, there's always creating a business dedicated to manipulating the uneducated. Unsure what my full time job will be, but I imagine I'll be pretty caught up in that, unless I end up becoming a youtuber, then FE will be in my bloodstream as I lay dyying again in my redeathbed. I dont want to say bye to Fire Emblem just because I reach a certain age, but I also would rather not remain an addict to a gaming franchise so far into my life. I could post on Serenes just to interact with pals, but will I really be doing lp's or having full discussions over binding blade at 34 years old? Well, I guess its better than arguing over pokemon as a middle aged fan who refuses to grow up. I probably don't have the nicest perspective on this, but they call me Honest Jones. I don't find comfort in talking over a game full of silly anime teen chess pieces while double that age. Then again, I'll be 40 before IS ever remakes Shadow Dragon or New Mystery again. I'd probably just DM friends over it though. Not trying to stick in with the next several generations of FE fans. No offense to the boomers here. Okay, maybe a teeny tiny bit of offense, but I'm just a gen Z fool. What do I know?

Serenes is one of the first online communities I really felt part of

idk where I'll be eight years from now (if I'll have a family of my own and such, or anything life throws my way), but I'll prob still be checking in unless something happens where the folks I know most here all leave or something

I'll damn sure still be playing FE then, if nothing else

Y'know when you get to that age you tend to take things one day at a time. Live in the moment instead of worrying what next year or next decade will bring. Next decade and a half in your case, OP?

Edited by Zapp Branniglenn

1 hour ago, Sooks said:

Ok boomer

1 hour ago, Shaky Jones said:

Unsure what my full time job will be, but I imagine I'll be pretty caught up in that, unless I end up becoming a youtuber, then FE will be in my bloodstream as I lay dyying again in my redeathbed. I dont want to say bye to Fire Emblem just because I reach a certain age, but I also would rather not remain an addict to a gaming franchise so far into my life.

Both sounds like rather terrible fates.

1 hour ago, Shaky Jones said:

I could post on Serenes just to interact with pals, but will I really be doing lp's or having full discussions over binding blade at 34 years old?

I'd probably just DM friends over it though.

Yeah, I can see myself doing this. Not exactly sure who I'll still be in touch with, but I do have DM-friends from other websites which have either been shut down or long fallen off my radar. There's not many of them and even those friendships can fizzle out- someone could just stop responding one day, Tom. But I can see myself talking to them about this-and-that for a lot longer.

Just now, Zapp Branniglenn said:

Next decade and a half in your case, OP?

Not quite. Actually not even really close, more like 7 years.

Edited by AnonymousSpeed

Oh definitely. I'm a gamer at heart for life. And I always wanted to know how online communities stayed active even far into the furute. That always interested me. Usually when I check on ome after not being active on one for a while, they are already closed down and it saddens me. Hoping this community stays alive forever!! 😊

For me, it's not about the age but where life takes me. If my plan works out and I graduate college, get my masters, and get the job I want then somewhere along the way I predict my interest in FE and video games as a whole will fade into the background. I've spent my life playing FE and other games, and it's sad to an extent to see that I will give it up.

That's a bit cheesy to say, but it's a real thought I'm having because that could be in only a year or 2, or maybe when I'm thirty in 5 years from now. At least I probably will go back to being a lurker like I was in the earlier SF days, and even now I don't post anything but check this site often.

8 hours ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

This is mostly a question for the young'uns like @Shaky Jones and @Benice, and to a lesser extent @Saint Rubenio and myself.

Wait, why "to a lesser extent"? I'm 23, that's not old.

Anyway, my answer is as follows:

Oh I hope so. I haven't lived long but so far I've gained many interests and hobbies yet rarely have I ever lost any said interests.

Though do expect great long breaks. I'm someone who needs variety in their life and requires time away from even my most beloved interests.

So that's months away, is it?

I mean, I guess?

1 hour ago, Shrimpolaris said:

Y'all know you can have a social life, job and still play FE and talk about it online, right?

I mean yes, technically.

Me at the minute ain't in the best position when I've got to fix myself enough as is.

I'm well past 30 now.

That said I somehow ended up marrying somebody who is as big a Fire Emblem nerd as me, and since our interests feed off each other at this point I can't see myself becoming less into this series any time soon. And this is still a far better place to talk about the games than GameFAQs or Reddit, as far as public spaces go. So I expect to be here a while still.