• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, Dayni said:

So that's months away, is it?

Congratulations.

11 hours ago, Shrimpolaris said:

Y'all know you can have a social life, job and still play FE and talk about it online, right?

Yes, however-

16 hours ago, JimmyBeans said:

For me, it's not about the age but where life takes me.

You sort of figure those other things will growth in depth and importance, should things be going well, such that you'll do less forum posting.

13 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Wait, why "to a lesser extent"? I'm 23, that's not old.

It's not old, I'm the same age, but it is older than Shaky and Benice are.

I'll be thirty in 362 days and I don't see myself not posting on Serenes in the future. I kind of wish I won't be though. I don't know where the time seems to go. I do shit all with my days recently and still don't seem to get anything done. How the hell is it June already? Need to exercise and read and write more. Need to have a kid. Though kicking my Quora addiction would be higher onthe list of betterment than getting off Serenes.

Edited by Jotari

17 hours ago, Shrimpolaris said:

Y'all know you can have a social life, job and still play FE and talk about it online, right?

Then comes children, and most of your free time will be gone, in more optimistic news you won't be bored for a long time.

On 6/18/2022 at 1:52 AM, Fire Emblem Fan said:

I've been here for a decade and I'll be 30 next year, so...I think I'll definitely still be here, and continue to be long after.

Spoken like a true Brom fan.

20 hours ago, Shrimpolaris said:

naw, according to people, if you have any sort of activity on online forums, you're a 40 year old social pariah that lives in their mother's basement and lives off of McDonald's.

Edited by ♠Soul♠

On 6/17/2022 at 7:20 PM, AnonymousSpeed said:

different things are appropriate for different ages

Anxiety about the 'age-appropriateness' of something is characteristic of the young. You'll grow out of it. 

3 hours ago, Sock Puppet said:

Anxiety about the 'age-appropriateness' of something is characteristic of the young. You'll grow out of it. 

Maybe in some aspects, but I agree with speed if we are tying where your average person of said age would be in life during that time. I don't think it's appropriate for me spend the entire weekend binging a fire emblem game for example because I would ignoring so many of my other responsibilities doing that. Responsibilities to which, I now have because I am no longer a child and am at college.

There are exceptions to everything, but I don't think speed means that the boundaries for "age-appropriateness" are incredibly rigid.

6 hours ago, Sock Puppet said:

That's what the pedophiles tell me.

8 minutes ago, Original Johan Liebert said:

Why are you talking to pedophiles.

I mean, I guess you're old enough that you have nothing to fear.

Shit man, you got me. I haven't been talking to pedophiles. I'm not nearly rich enough to be in the social circles they hang out.

I like the discussions on here and even though I have been brain rotted by the Soulsborne franchise for the past 9 months (haven't played an FE game in nearly a year) I don't plan on being done with Fire Emblem for a while, so I'll stay here even as I become an old man 

What is this, Logan's Run?

I turn 36 next month, I'm not as active here as I used to be, since I've mostly gone on to Discord, but I still enjoy things I did when I was a teenager. It didn't stop from becoming a doctor, getting married, and having two kids.

9 hours ago, Jotari said:

That's what the pedophiles tell me.

You keep strange company.

11 hours ago, JimmyBeans said:

I don't think it's appropriate for me spend the entire weekend binging a fire emblem game for example because I would ignoring so many of my other responsibilities doing that.

'[A]ppropriate'? What does that even mean here? I understand that it would be unwise to do that, because neglecting those responsibilities yields unpleasant consequences, but 'appropriate' feels...inappropriate...to convey that meaning. Moreover, I think you're mischaracterizing his statements. His words are thus: 

On 6/17/2022 at 7:20 PM, AnonymousSpeed said:

I think that would be kinda weird. I enjoy talking smack and all, but different things are appropriate for different ages, and I would probably rather have other hobbies and commitments than online communities by then.

His concern does not seem to be that he will have too many other commitments to spend time interacting on SF, but rather, that it is somehow unbecoming of one who is 30 to do so. This compulsion to modify how he spends his time based on adherence to some perceived 'age-appropriateness' scale bespeaks a self-consciousness about his maturity; such insecurity is endemic to youth. 

14 hours ago, Sock Puppet said:

'[A]ppropriate'? What does that even mean here? I understand that it would be unwise to do that, because neglecting those responsibilities yields unpleasant consequences, but 'appropriate' feels...inappropriate...to convey that meaning. Moreover, I think you're mischaracterizing his statements. His words are thus: 

His concern does not seem to be that he will have too many other commitments to spend time interacting on SF, but rather, that it is somehow unbecoming of one who is 30 to do so. This compulsion to modify how he spends his time based on adherence to some perceived 'age-appropriateness' scale bespeaks a self-consciousness about his maturity; such insecurity is endemic to youth. 

It's definitely not always the case, but most 30 year-olds I assume would be married, or cohabitating, and possibly have a family and a career. That's why the way he worded it doesn't bother me at all. With the responsibilities opened up at that time, I think the word appropriate fits fine, but it seems that's not the same for you and I don't know what to say about that.

Maybe that was his concern, but his response to me didn't seem that what your saying is the case. But, me and you guessing what he meant is a waste of time, we both took something different away from it.

I am once again reminded of that famous quote from C.S. Lewis

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” - C S Lewis

On 6/20/2022 at 4:55 AM, Sock Puppet said:

He is a teacher. Did you know they fuck more kids than priests? Talking to pedophiles is just an occupational hazard. They are, of course, still the real heroes.

On 6/19/2022 at 4:46 PM, JimmyBeans said:

I agree with speed

i am speed

On 6/20/2022 at 7:38 PM, JimmyBeans said:

But, me and you guessing what he meant is a waste of time, we both took something different away from it.

And that is the true meaning of art.

15 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

I am once again reminded of that famous quote from C.S. Lewis

I am very aware of the Lewis quote, but I feel there's a difference in the way he read fairy-tales and the way I post on Serenes Forest.