Choose 16 fighters to add to Smash 6's starting roster

Lord_Brand

For fun, I thought of this little game where we each get to choose 16 new fighters to add in a theoretical Smash 6's base roster. Both first party and third party fighters are allowed.

1. Waluigi
  2. Tetra/Toon Zelda
  3. Twilight Link/Wolf Link & Midna
  4. Dixie Kong
  5. Waddle Dee
  6. Krystal
  7. Octoling (Echo of Inkling)
  8. Alucard
  9. Proto Man
  10. Mega Man X
  11. Zero
  12. Chun-Li
  13. Dr. Eggman
  14. Crash Bandicoot
  15. Spyro the Dragon
  16. Shantae

I'm assuming all of the playable characters in Smash Bros. Ultimate are not included for this, because we'd assume they're already in Smash 6? With that thought, I'd add...

1. Crash Bandicoot (Crash Bandicoot)
2. Lyn (Fire Emblem)
3. Spyro the Dragon (Spyro)
4. Waluigi (Mario)
5. Impa (Zelda)
6. Second Gen/Johto Pokemon Trainer (Feraligatr, Quilava, Chikorita) (Pokemon)
7. Zael (The Last Story)
8. Shovel Knight (Shovel Knight)
9. Crono (Chrono Trigger)
10. Terra (Final Fantasy)
11. Dixie Kong (Donkey Kong)
12. Peppy Hare (Star Fox)
13. Medusa (Kid Icarus)
14. Kumatora (Mother/Earthbound)
15. Balloon Fighter (Balloon Fight)
16. Samurai Goroh (F-Zero)

I limited myself to one character per series. My other considerations had I decided to use multiple characters from one series were Dr. Neo Cortex (Crash Bandicoot), Dingodile (Crash Bandicoot), Cranky Kong (Donkey Kong), Funky Kong (Donkey Kong), Ninten (Earthbound), Kass (The Legend of Zelda), Ephraim (Fire Emblem), Hades (Kid Icarus), Magnus (Kid Icarus), and Jin Kazama (Tekken), along with Captain Syrup (Wario Land) and Soma Cruz (Castlevania) for their respective series that I didn't include a character for.

Edited by Fire Emblem Fan

1. Francis 'York' Morgan (Deadly Premonition) 
  2. Rawk Hawk (Paper Mario TTYD)
  3. Scrooge McDuck (Ducktales)
  4. Gooey (Kirby's Dreamland 3)
  5. Vi (Bug Fables)
  6. Hsien-Ko (Darkstalkers)
  7. Sabrewulf (Killer Instinct)
  8. Albert Wesker (Resident Evil)
  9. Codsworth (Fallout 4)
  10. Liara T'Soni (Mass Effect)
  11. Geralt (Witcher)
  12. Sif (Dark Souls)
  13. Nero (Devil May Cry)
  14. Razputin (Psychonauts)
  15. Captain Qwark (Ratchet & Clank)
  16. Dominic Toretto (Fambly)

Here's the list that I would announce:

1. Alm
  2. Sigurd
  3. Seliph
  4. Leaf
  5. Eliwood
  6. Lyn
  7. Ephraim
  8. Erika
  9. Elincia
  10. The Black Knight
  11. Ryoma
  12. Xander
  13. Edelgard (armed with a sword)
  14. Dimitri (armed with a sword)
  15. Claude (armed with a sword)
  16. Rhea (armed with a sword and a shield)

Then, after enough time passed for people to think this might be the actual roster and get angry, I would announce the real list of characters:

1. Micaiah (Radiant Dawn)
  2. Edelgard (Three Houses, armed with axe and shield)
  3. Celica (Echo of Robin; takes damage from spellcasting in exchange for never running out of magic)
  4. Tetra (Wind Waker)
  5. Wolf Link & Midna (Twilight Princess)
  6. Zach (Echo of Cloud)
  7. Kabbu, Vi & Lief (Bug Fables: The Everlasting Sapling)
  8. Mega Man (Battle Network; uses battle chips rather than boss data)
  9. Shovel Knight (Shovel Knight)
  10. Captain Toad (Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker)
  11. Paper Mario (Paper Mario)
  12. Waddle Dee (Kirby)
  13. Decidueye (Pokémon Sun & Moon, Pokémon Legends Arceus)
  14. Adol Christin (Ys)
  15. Dana (Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana)
  16. Bass (Mega Man)
Edited by vanguard333

I think that I got a few ideas what to add in for the next Super Smash Bros. installment after Ultimate. I managed to think of what 16 Fighters that I could pick that fits in the bill:

1. Noah from Xenoblade Chronicles 3
  2. Next Protagonist from the next mainline Fire Emblem title on Switch or one on the next gen console
  3. Gen 9 or 10 Pokémon
  4. Mike Jones from StarTropics
  5. Haohmaru from Samurai Shodown or Kaede from The Last Blade (as the 2nd SNK Franchise Fighter)
  6. Impa from The Legend of Zelda
  7. Dixie Kong from Donkey Kong
  8. Mona from WarioWare Series
  9. Jin Kazama from Tekken Series (I was thinking of Ms. Pac-Man for the echo fighter of Pac-Man earlier, but it looks like that AT Games Legal Lawsuit managed to made Bandai Namco lose rights to Ms. Pac-Man)
  10. Bandana Waddle Dee from Kirby Series
  11. Ninten from EarthBound Beginnings (giving him some different clothing like how Marth and Roy had gotten to make less resemblance of Ness)
  12. Master Chief from Halo (as the 3rd Microsoft Mascot) - but since Crash was now owned by Microsoft, I think Master Chief deserve the chance since he's the Mascot for Microsoft
  13. Maybe an Atari Franchise Rep
  14. 2nd Atari Franchise Rep
  15. Ayumi from Famicom Detective Club
  16. Black Shadow from F-Zero
Edited by King Marth 64

90% of this stuff is never gonna happen but a man can dream:

1. Neku from TWEWY (ideally with Rindo as an alt or echo)
  2. Jibanyan from Yo-Kai Watch
  3. Oliver from Ni no Kuni
  4. Yamamura from Mario Maker 
  5. Bandana Dee from Kirby
  6. Revali from Zelda
  7. Tom Nook from Animal Crossing (I dont even care if he's a clone of villager/Isabelle, he was robbed and deserves to be in)
  8. Vent/Aile from MM:ZX
  9. Percy from Shovel Knight (biggest pipe dream here but im fine with just shovel knight or one of the other campaign knights)
  10. Agumon from Digimon
  11. Ghost from Hollow Knight
  12. Maxwell from Scribblenauts

I had some difficulty coming up with 16, but I tried to make a combination of realistic and personal choices.

1. Waluigi
  2. Tingle
  3. New Pokémon
  4. Bandana Waddle Dee
  5. Octoling
  6. Dixie Kong
  7. A Nintendo swordsman (from FE/Xenoblade/Isaac, etc.)
  8. Chorus Kids (Rhythm Heaven)
  9. Officer Howard (Astral Chain)
  10. Ring Fit Trainee
  11. Takamaru (The Mysterious Murasame Castle)
  12. Ryu Hayabusa (Ninja Gaiden)
  13. Eggman/Tails/another Sonic character
  14. Another Capcom character (from Resident Evil/Monster Hunter/Dante, etc.)
  15. Adol Christin/Estelle Bright/Rean Schwarzer/another Falcom character
  16. Doom Slayer
Edited by Lightchao42

On 6/21/2022 at 1:17 AM, vanguard333 said:
  • Alm
  • Sigurd
  • Seliph
  • Leaf
  • Eliwood
  • Lyn
  • Ephraim
  • Erika
  • Elincia
  • The Black Knight
  • Ryoma
  • Xander
  • Edelgard (armed with a sword)
  • Dimitri (armed with a sword)
  • Claude (armed with a sword)
  • Rhea (armed with a sword and a shield)

Absolute madlad. Could use a bit more Fire Emblem, though.

Anyway, my list of 16, I guess, 'cuz why not.

1. Isaac from Golden Sun. I have no personal affection for this character or his series, but hey, these games could always use more pretty anime sword boys.

2. Phoenix Wright from Ace Attorney. He was in one of the MvC games, so it could happen. Love the idea of turning his "Objection!" bubble into an attack.

3. Shantae from Shantae. Again, no real affection for her franchise, but her design and natural abilities seem a perfect match for a Smash setting.

4. Crash Bandicoot from Crash Bandicoot. This one, I do have affection for. He's an icon of early 3D platforming, with plenty of personality and moves to choose from.

5. Urshifu from Pokemon. Its multiple punches lend naturally to different attacks. Or just sub in some Mon from the latest generation at the time of release, IDK.

6. Crewmate from Among Us. I have no fucking shame, but hey - it's on Switch. Plenty of the tasks, plus the unique kill screens, could make for fun attacks.

7. Andy from Advance Wars. This could be any AW character, honestly, but the series deserves some rep. Could be neat sending tanks and planes at foes.

8. Madeline from Celeste. Never gonna happen, but it's my dream list, alright? Her powers could include dashing, and maybe deploying tools or obstacles from her game.

9. Ghirahim from Legend of Zelda. A top 3 Nintendo franchise, and it hasn't gotten an honest-to-goodness new rep since Melee. Give us someone with style and character!

10. Cuphead from Cuphead. There's no denying the artistry that goes into his game. If anything, the challenge would be to get that aspect across faithfully.

11. L-Block from Tetris. This was the Game Boy's killer app, ensuring Nintendo portable market dominance. It absolutely deserves a character.

12. Birdo from Mario. We all know there's a long-suffering auxiliary Mario character who finally deserves the light of day. Hell, if it's easier, she can just be a Yoshi echo.

13. Shovel Knight from Shovel Knight. He already has an amiibo, so the hardest element is out of the way. Anyway, he's an indie icon of the last decade.

14. Agnes from Bravely Default. She's the star of a Nintendo-exclusive JRPG franchise. And more importantly, she's a backdoor to getting her game's music into Smash.

15. Agent 8 from Splatoon. Perhaps the most successful franchise launched by the Wii U. It could use another rep - particularly one with their own story.

16. Gex from Gex. I haven't had this hard a time coming up with a list since Christmas Eve on Paul Giamatti's yacht! He'll be worth it for the taunts alone.

10 minutes ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Absolute madlad. Could use a bit more Fire Emblem, though.

Unfortunately, the rule said 16 characters.

11 minutes ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

5. Urshifu from Pokémon. Its multiple punches lend naturally to different attacks. Or just sub in some Mon from the latest generation at the time of release, IDK.

I think a new Pokémon should be a grass-type starter. We already have Incineroar for fire-type and Greninja for water-type. I was thinking Decidueye since an archer would be cool and it was one of the starters in Legends: Arceus.

I'm thinking of changing my selections, saving some of my current choices - like Tetra/Toon Zelda and Twilight Link/Wolf Link & Midna - for DLC. Basically, I'd like my list of starting additions to include the more "vanilla" fighters I'd want to add, while an upcoming DLC topic I plan on starting will have more of the flashy, gimmicky fighters.

Edited by Lord_Brand

3 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

16. Gex from Gex. I haven't had this hard a time coming up with a list since Christmas Eve on Paul Giamatti's yacht! He'll be worth it for the taunts alone.

Gex would have a meter underneath his character icon labeled Tail Time.

It's a meter that's always filled. Because it's always Tail Time.

12 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

I think a new Pokémon should be a grass-type starter. We already have Incineroar for fire-type and Greninja for water-type. I was thinking Decidueye since an archer would be cool and it was one of the starters in Legends: Arceus.

Not a bad notion. And Decidueye would be fun to play as! Still, that would overrepresent Gen VII - much as I love Alola, I think another starter deserves the spotlight. Either Sceptile or Rillaboom could be great picks.

9 hours ago, Zapp Branniglenn said:

Gex would have a meter underneath his character icon labeled Tail Time.

It's a meter that's always filled. Because it's always Tail Time.

Or make it actually fill up. But rather than giving him any gameplay boost, he just shows off a new quip when it reaches maximum. Perhaps related to another fighter?

"Note to self: don't eat the omelettes on Yoshi's Island."

42 minutes ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Not a bad notion. And Decidueye would be fun to play as! Still, that would overrepresent Gen VII - much as I love Alola, I think another starter deserves the spotlight. Either Sceptile or Rillaboom could be great picks.

Yeah; it might overrepresent Gen VII; that's one reason why I was thinking of using the Hisuian variant from Legends: Arceus. But yeah; perhaps Sceptile or Rillaboom would be better in terms of representation, though I personally would prefer Torterra simply because Torterra is my favourite grass starter.

23 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

"Note to self: don't eat the omelettes on Yoshi's Island."

This killed me.

"I haven't tasted anything as sweet as this victory since that party at Peach's Castle"

warning: JRPG overload incoming

1. Tifa Lockhart (FFVII classic design, as well as Advent Children's and FFVII Remake's)
2. Tidus (FFX classic design, and maybe Dissidia's)
3. Celes Chère (both pantsless and pants-abled (?))
4. One between Tiz Arrior, Agnés Oblige, Ringabel and Edea Lee jk there's only Ringabel
5. Rean Schwarzer (4 costumes just like Hero)
6. Estelle Bright (3 costumes + Red Knight costume)
7. Lloyd Bannings (2 costumes + swimsuit + Schwarze Auction)
8. Gen 9 Pokémon (possibly one of Quaxly's stages)
9. Chun Li (Street Fighter)
10. Either Haoumaru (Samurai Showdown), Iori Yagami (King of Fighters) or a heavily censored and irrecognizable Mai Shiranui Rock Howard (Garou Mark of the Wolves)
11. Mark Evans (Inazuma Eleven)
12. 2B (NieR:Automata)
13. Kratos (either from GoW1 or GoW4)
14. Someone from Xenoblade 3 although my heart would say Fei from Xenogears
15. Lenneth (Valkyrie Profile)
16. Tarnished (Elden Ring)/Chosen Undead (Dark Souls 1)

On 6/23/2022 at 9:25 AM, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Or make it actually fill up. But rather than giving him any gameplay boost, he just shows off a new quip when it reaches maximum. Perhaps related to another fighter?

When it's full, instead of a power or speed boost, it just lets you taunt at any time. When you're attacking. When you're being attacked. He'll just yap away. 

"Note to self: don't eat the omelettes on Yoshi's Island."

(To Fox): "You're about to become more like your father"

(To Mario): "Chris Pratt? You're an inspiration to washed out middle aged men everywhere!"

(To Samus): "Several fields of science struggle to answer the age old question. Why can't Metroid crawl?"

1. Bandana Waddle Dee
  2. Waluigi
  3. Geno
  4. Dixie Kong
  5. Impa
  6. Krystal
  7. Serperior
  8. Lyn
  9. Viridi
  10. Alph/Brittany/Charlie (Full promotion to Echo of Olimar)
  11. Noah (Xenoblade Chronicles 3)
  12. Mio (Xenoblade Chronicles 3)
  13. Dr. Eggman
  14. Zero
  15. Chun-Li
  16. Alucard

Anyone know of a good polling program where we can enter names and vote for our top 16? I'm curious to know how our selections all stack up, like who's getting picked the most.

Edited by Lord_Brand

• 1 month later...

Here's my personal selection of 16 fighters to add into a potential Smash 6.

1. Waluigi (Super Mario)
  2. Noah (Xenoblade Chronicles 3)
  3. Phoenix Wright (Ace Attorney)
  4. Tails (Sonic)
  5. Paper Mario (Paper Mario)
  6. One of the Gen 9 Pokémon Starters (Pokémon Scarlet/Violet). Preferably Sprigatito. 
  7. The main character of the next mainline FE (Fire Emblem)
  8. Dante (Devil May Cry)
  9. Leon S. Kennedy (Resident Evil 2/4 design)
  10. Frank West (Dead Rising 1 design)
  11. Bomberman (Bomberman)
  12. Ezio Auditore (Assassin's Creed Brotherhood design)
  13. Kilik (Soul Calibur)
  14. Dixie Kong (Donkey Kong)
  15. Crash Bandicoot (Crash Bandicoot)
  16. Marcus (Gears of War 1-2 design)
  17. Pink Gold Peach (What do you mean there's a limit of 16 characters? Welp, looks like this one's never getting in...)

• 9 months later...