Fire Emblem Warriors Three Hopes has gotten its reviews

The reviews are looking good so far.

Fire Emblem: Three Hopes Reviews: DigitiallyDownloaded- 10/10 ScreenRant- 10/10 Destructoid- 9/10 GodisaGeek- 9/10 Inverse- 9/10 NintendoLife- 9/10 Vooks- 9/10 NintendoNews- 9/10 Game Informer - 8/10 SixthAxis- 8/10 Twinfinite- 8/10 IGN- 8/10 VGC- 8/10 WellPlayed- 8/10

I'm interested in what Famitsu has to say. They scored that Touken Ranbu trash extremely well, so anything less here would be a joke.

While the scores aren't glowing, one doesn't expect that from a musou game. It's currently outscoring Age of Calamity and it's right on par with Persona 5 Strikers (the highest rated musou game of all time).

Edited by Fabulously Olivier

gamexplain also made a review and they said new game + mode? they didn't just call it new game plus?

from the datamines the route ends the same way so maybe a new story? maybe byleth?   

26 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Those are....strangely flattering score for a Warriors game. That's a good sign. 

Scores for the games have been trending up a bit, at least for spinoffs, because of games like AoC and P5S that aspire to more prestige gaming experiences. It's honestly to be expected, because critics care more about the things these games offer (story, game design) than things fans of these games might care more about (content, roster, replayability, etc.). But yes, it is reassuring, if only because FEW3H seems to have found more of a middle-ground between traditional musou experiences and something like Strikers.

The reviews posted on Metacritic as seen by Reddit are about what I expected, but it's nice to see more positive ones here as well. It's interesting to listen to and watch the video reviews. Most of them find the out-of-combat stuff more interesting than the combat, but they also say that it's because there's so much to do as the game goes on, that it starts to drag. I'm personally curious to see if that'll be the case for me, since I didn't really tire of the monastery stuff in Three Houses until my fourth or fifth full playthrough. 

I also thought the reviews would come out tomorrow and not today, so this is a happy surprise. 

Overall, this is definitely ramping up my excitement for the game. Friday can't get here soon enough! 

24 minutes ago, Use the Falchion said:

The reviews posted on Metacritic as seen by Reddit are about what I expected, but it's nice to see more positive ones here as well. It's interesting to listen to and watch the video reviews. Most of them find the out-of-combat stuff more interesting than the combat, but they also say that it's because there's so much to do as the game goes on, that it starts to drag. I'm personally curious to see if that'll be the case for me, since I didn't really tire of the monastery stuff in Three Houses until my fourth or fifth full playthrough. 

I also thought the reviews would come out tomorrow and not today, so this is a happy surprise. 

Overall, this is definitely ramping up my excitement for the game. Friday can't get here soon enough! 

Oh man, the monastery fatigue hit my before the end of my second playthru. It only got worse from there. However due to the small camp size it shouldn’t be as much as a problem and you can teleport right to any facilities or allies so that helps too. I think the faster pace battle will keep the fatigue down too.

I never actually got monastery fatigue. Though it's because I skipped fishing and lost items entirely past the first playthrough.

Now, I got auxiliary battle fatigue like Hell in my 2nd and 3rd playthroughs. Side battles in a strategy RPG which are forced down your throat in a use-them-or-lose-them fashion due to the calendar system? Just kill me now.

Edited by Fabulously Olivier

I got monastery fatigue on my second playthrough of Three Houses, but this is due to my completionist tendencies and the desire to talk to absolutely everyone to hear every single piece of dialogue.
-- It didn't help that Part One was similar on multiple playthroughs, and that Verdant Wind and Silver Snow routes were also practically identical. (It didn't help I did SS and VW back to back.)
-- I still have yet to go back properly and replay all four routes to hear the Ashen Wolves and the Abyss' perspective on the main storyline...

At any rate, guess its time to delve for some more info by checking around the Internet. I already got the game pre-ordered digitally, so I'm also wondering when the unlock happens (been hearing either midnight or noon depending on the title).

3 hours ago, Sire said:

I got monastery fatigue on my second playthrough of Three Houses, but this is due to my completionist tendencies and the desire to talk to absolutely everyone to hear every single piece of dialogue.
-- It didn't help that Part One was similar on multiple playthroughs, and that Verdant Wind and Silver Snow routes were also practically identical. (It didn't help I did SS and VW back to back.)
-- I still have yet to go back properly and replay all four routes to hear the Ashen Wolves and the Abyss' perspective on the main storyline...

At any rate, guess its time to delve for some more info by checking around the Internet. I already got the game pre-ordered digitally, so I'm also wondering when the unlock happens (been hearing either midnight or noon depending on the title).

I hope midnight 

On 6/21/2022 at 6:46 AM, Etrurian emperor said:

Those are....strangely flattering score for a Warriors game. That's a good sign. 

I'd say it's indicative of how effective these spinoffs are at getting people to associate them with the game they're crossing over with and not Warriors (don't take this as me saying anything bad about Warriors; I'm not saying anything bad about Warriors).

In regards to Three Houses and "monastery fatigue", I'd say that it did eventually get to me on my second playthrough and it's getting to me a little on my third playthrough (though that might be more because my first playthrough was Crimson Flower and now I'm going through the routes that were derived from Silver Snow: Verdant Wind and Azure Moon in that order).

7 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

I'd say it's indicative of how effective these spinoffs are at getting people to associate them with the game they're crossing over with and not Warriors (don't take this as me saying anything bad about Warriors; I'm not saying anything bad about Warriors).

In regards to Three Houses and "monastery fatigue", I'd say that it did eventually get to me on my second playthrough and it's getting to me a little on my third playthrough (though that might be more because my first playthrough was Crimson Flower and now I'm going through the routes that were derived from Silver Snow: Verdant Wind and Azure Moon in that order).

Err, I disagree. I think there genuinely is causation and not correlation.

The mainline Warriors games are actually tired and are actually diminishing in quality. The last mainline entries of DW, SW, AND WO were all inferior to their predecessor at the least, and franchise worsts at most. All of them. Within the span of a few years. The whole mainline Warriors franchise is actually burning right now and it is really sad.

Meanwhile the spinoffs have mostly been considered superior to mainline entries since Hyrule Warriors in 2014 (Berserk and Touken Ranbu non-withstanding). These games are better funded, quality controlled by their publisher, and present creative opportunities that remaking Dynasty Warriors for the 9th time does not.

3 minutes ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

Err, I disagree. I think there genuinely is causation and not correlation.

The mainline Warriors games are actually tired and are actually diminishing in quality. The last mainline entries of DW, SW, AND WO were all inferior to their predecessor at the least, and franchise worsts at most. All of them. Within the span of a few years. The whole mainline Warriors franchise is actually burning right now and it is really sad.

Meanwhile the spinoffs have mostly been considered superior to mainline entries since Hyrule Warriors in 2014 (Berserk and Touken Ranbu non-withstanding). These games are better funded, quality controlled by their publisher, and present creative opportunities that remaking Dynasty Warriors for the 9th time does not.

Yeah; you're right. Association with other brands does help with sales, but quality is definitely the bigger factor for review scores.

24 minutes ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

I can't say I agree with this, at least not about SW5. 

Then again, I know it has the problem with extra modes and replayability, which I couldn't care less about but I know it's a pretty big deal for a lot of people.

7 minutes ago, EarthboundAddict said:

I still think DW 8, 8: Empires, SW 4, 4: Empires, Spirits of Sanada and WO3U are good modern musou games.

And also didn't most people actually like SW 5 from a gameplay perspective?

If by modern you mean at least 6 years old. I don't. It's been a long time since mainline Warriors was good. SW5 was okay. It was a step back from 4 and SoS though it did have good gameplay. (And yes, I'm aware there is a weird divide in the DW/SW community where DW 3-5 and SW2 are literally Dark Souls, and everything else is modern and therefore bad. Screw those people.)

On 6/21/2022 at 10:02 AM, Fabulously Olivier said:

I never actually got monastery fatigue. Though it's because I skipped fishing and lost items entirely past the first playthrough.

Now, I got auxiliary battle fatigue like Hell in my 2nd and 3rd playthroughs. Side battles in a strategy RPG which are forced down your throat in a use-them-or-lose-them fashion due to the calendar system? Just kill me now.

Not gonna lie, for someone with a PFP referencing Olivier this is hardly surprising. Isn't like, half the game spent socializing on the campus of Thors and other hub areas? This is not by any means a criticism, just that the logic tracks. Anyway, back on topic. I honestly love social games like Persona, Cold Steel, and Three Houses so the likelihood of me burning out on the Monastery segments were virtually nil.

Just now, GoddessNobodyKnows said:

Not gonna lie, for someone with a PFP referencing Olivier this is hardly surprising. Isn't like, half the game spent socializing on the campus of Thors and other hub areas? This is not by any means a criticism, just that the logic tracks. Anyway, back on topic. I honestly love social games like Persona, Cold Steel, and Three Houses so the likelihood of me burning out on the Monastery segments were virtually nil.

I actually find the Trails games uniquely exhausting in a way that I don't find Persona exhausting. The easily missable collectibles and slow combat do tire me out. And I'm currently stuck on Cold Steel 3 because I just don't like it in particular.

I just happen to really, really love the characters. And the story. And the world. And the music. 

1 minute ago, GoddessNobodyKnows said:

As someone who beat Persona 3,3FES,4,5,5R and all 4 Cold Steels the school sections on them just don't drag as much as Three Houses.