Would you still want FEW2 even after Three Hopes?

Alright girls, girls, you're both pretty. Can I go home now? (Please don't take that personally. It's just a quote from Megamind. Say what you will, I liked that movie.)

While I absolutely want a proper FEW2 after 3Hopes, at this point I'm not even sure how to go about "balancing" the roster. Mainly I just at the very least want some playable villains (need I even mention BK again? He's tailor-made for Warriors for the same reasons as Ike).

Edited by Baron the Shining Blade

3 minutes ago, Baron the Shining Blade said:

Alright girls, girls, you're both pretty. Can I go home now? (Please don't take that personally. It's just a quote from Megamind. Say what you will, I liked that movie.)

While I absolutely want a proper FEW2 after 3Hopes, at this point I'm not even sure how to go about "balancing" the roster. Mainly I just at the very least want some playable villains (need I even mention BK again? He's tailor-made for Warriors for the same reasons as Ike).

You have good taste in movies. And it's a classic.

And yeah. If it were easy, Koei and Nintendo would have done it. Or at least did better.

On 6/22/2022 at 11:41 PM, Anomalocaris said:

With Three Hopes upon us and proving to go in a radically different direction from the original Fire Emblem Warriors in many ways, does anybody here still want a proper, direct sequel to the original game?

If so:

• Assuming the gameplay structure is primarily built upon FEW1, what mechanics/features from Three Hopes would you like to see backported in?
  • How should this hypothetical sequel handle Three Houses and its cast now that they've got their own dedicated Warriors game? Should Three Houses be skipped for now in favor of other games? Included but with less emphasis than the others? Go all-in on them yet again?

1) yes, a billion times yes, it's literally the only FE spin-off i'd willingly buy (aside from a potential 2D FE fighting game) and they still managed to disappoint me and many others not once but twice

2) i don't know, i haven't played the 3Hopes demo and i don't intend to, but i'd be fine with literally anything

3) assuming you don't mean "sequel" as a continuation of FEW's story and original characters because i'd hate that, and if you want me to be 100% brutally honest, i would completely skip 3H in a potential FEW2, or add Edelgard, Claude and Dimitri as secret, non plot-relevant characters (just like Lyn and Celica in FEW1) at most, because they surely can't throw their "easy money" token in the trash can now can they

Edited by Yexin

On 6/22/2022 at 2:41 PM, Anomalocaris said:
  • Assuming the gameplay structure is primarily built upon FEW1, what mechanics/features from Three Hopes would you like to see backported in?
  • How should this hypothetical sequel handle Three Houses and its cast now that they've got their own dedicated Warriors game? Should Three Houses be skipped for now in favor of other games? Included but with less emphasis than the others? Go all-in on them yet again?

Honestly, I dunno that I'm that interested in a "true" FEW2, at least not any time soon. Three Hopes should scratch the gameplay itch just fine. If/when they do it, there are a few choices, near as I can tell

• Focus primarily on the most popular games at the time, which will be probably be Awakening/Fates/3H/possible new game. Makes the same people who dislike FEW1 unhappy but that game's sales numbers kinda show how little that matters. But... this game also doesn't serve any real purpose.
  • Focus on games that FEW1 and Three Hopes didn't. Obviously a bad idea.
  • Try to have a balanced focus on the entire series (though I wouldn't go for any sort of "perfect" balance, Thracia doesn't need many reps etc.). This would probably work as a pure fanservice game though the plot would likely be even more incoherent than FEW1. Maybe that's not much loss, though. So I guess this is the best idea, but I'd wait a few years on it. And I can't say I'd be personally super-excited by it.

3 hours ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

Honestly, I dunno that I'm that interested in a "true" FEW2, at least not any time soon. Three Hopes should scratch the gameplay itch just fine. If/when they do it, there are a few choices, near as I can tell

• Focus primarily on the most popular games at the time, which will be probably be Awakening/Fates/3H/possible new game. Makes the same people who dislike FEW1 unhappy but that game's sales numbers kinda show how little that matters. But... this game also doesn't serve any real purpose.
  • Focus on games that FEW1 and Three Hopes didn't. Obviously a bad idea.
  • Try to have a balanced focus on the entire series (though I wouldn't go for any sort of "perfect" balance, Thracia doesn't need many reps etc.). This would probably work as a pure fanservice game though the plot would likely be even more incoherent than FEW1. Maybe that's not much loss, though. So I guess this is the best idea, but I'd wait a few years on it. And I can't say I'd be personally super-excited by it.

I don't think you need to focus on the entire series at once. Keep the existing roster (Shadow Dragon, Awakening, and Fates) and add three new games to it (Three Houses, PoR, and Blazing Sword?), with those three games getting more focus in the story than the old ones.

Assuming the franchise keeps going after that, each successive game could phase in more FE games to the roster.

• 6 months later...

After having recently started, played and enjoyed Three Hopes for only 15 hours and having never played FEW1 because I'm not a fan of the oldFE disrespect, yes I absolutely want a FEW2.  So long as it's made by people that don't despise the series' history and doesn't feel like a downgrade on Three Hopes.  If it's just FEW1's roster but with the House leaders, Byleth and some Engage characters I will never hope for anything ever again.

But seriously.  I just hope the game's development isn't led by people that haven't even played Fire Emblem again and at least don't pretend the 21 years of games that released inbetween Shadow Dragon and Awakening don't exist.

And also keep the War Map.

14 hours ago, Florete said:

I despised Three Hopes while I loved Warriors 1, so yeah, I'd 100% love to see a true FEW2. The only thing I would want to see from TH is class-changing, but only 1 or 2 options per character.

Yes, agreed, Warriors 2 with more TH-style gameplay (but only 1 or 2 reclass options) but a cast with several FE games is ideal for me.

15 hours ago, Florete said:

I despised Three Hopes while I loved Warriors 1, so yeah, I'd 100% love to see a true FEW2. The only thing I would want to see from TH is class-changing, but only 1 or 2 options per character.

Class-changing (specifically each character having a secondary class), combat arts, and each unit having a personal skill for me. Most of the rest of the gameplay I honestly think FEW1 did better than Three Hopes.

I definitely don't want to see the war map return, keep Story Mode and History Mode separate.

4 hours ago, Anomalocaris said:

Class-changing (specifically each character having a secondary class), combat arts, and each unit having a personal skill for me. Most of the rest of the gameplay I honestly think FEW1 did better than Three Hopes.

I definitely don't want to see the war map return, keep Story Mode and History Mode separate.

I actually forgot about personal skills, those are nice.

Combat arts...I could take or leave them. One of the problems I had with TH was that there were just so many things to manage and those were one of them, but on their own they work fine.

2 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Yes. The original Fire Emblem Warriors was a gold concept handled very poorly, and so it still deserves a game where the concept is done justice. 

I've come to the conclusion that both Warriors games succeed where the other fails. FEW has stellar content and objective design. Three Hopes has better story, RPG mechanics, and roster.

Ideally, FEW2/FEW3/FEW Ultimate/FEW Burrito Supreme would take lessons learned from both. A competent story AND an expansive postgame side mode. A roster that both satisfies fans of the whole series AND isn't afraid to make some of the deep cuts that Hopes does. Keeping the advancements to combat that Hopes made while reigning in the gamebreaking bits (spells are a bit much). Making enemies a bit tougher as they are in Hopes AND a lot smarter/more aggressive as in FEW1.