Three Hopes General Discussion Thread

10 hours ago, Anomalocaris said:

Question for anybody who's unlocked the secret (non-character-specific) class:

Reveal hidden contents

Can you have more than one Dancer, or can only one person certify for it like in Three Houses? Are there restrictions on who can use it, or can anybody (even Rodrigue) be a Dancer?

Once unlocked it available for everyone and there is no hard limit on it.

Spoiler

I got a kick out of making Rhea a dancer because why not?

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trickster is an absolutely amazing class for Shez. Plow through half the level, juggling multiple captains simultaneously and the weapon triangle becomes irrelevant because you're going to crit rush one of them and all their friends come along for the ride.

There's also an ability that causes enemies you knock back to hurt people they hit, makes reaching your kill goals trivial. 

2 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

That sounds strange since you'd think Caspar's the first person to jump ship and fight for JUSTICE. Maybe its because they need his presence to flesh out count Bergliez?

I think it's because Edelgard isn't as obviously villainous on the other routes as she is in Houses. She didn't spend a year working with the worst people ever deploying zombie viruses, desecrating tombs, kidnapping children, etc. (Yes, I know it's more complicated than that, but from the perspective of the people she blindsided it wasn't at the time.)

Got to Part II in the Scarlet Blaze route. Hard Difficulty is rather challenging!

I had Hubert die in one map when I was trying to channel the Dark Mage class action (got an arrow to the face). I reset and learned how squishy spellcasters are.
-- Then, on a main chapter map, Balthus got combo'd by Catherine and Shamir in another. I reset, and then proceeded to bring out "Try-Hard Shez" with a +20 Rapier. I S-Ranked that chapter, having exactly the amount of damage taken and not a single percent over. // As an aside, enemy Armor Knights are actually pretty resistant to physical attacks when one does not have effectiveness. Who knew.
-- Also, screw Snipers and their "Tornado Spin" ability. It messes up my melee combos and can easily lead to being juggled.

As a special item one obtains at the start of Part II...

Spoiler

It's the Merc Whistle. Give it to someone who has an A-Rank with Shez, and they will give you a unique accessory that replaces your Unique Action Skill with theirs.

I'm probably gonna go with Ferdinand, as the faster attack speed is nice and can easily apply to everyone. At first I thought about putting it on Shez (unless the unique acessory is Shez only), but I think maybe Dorothea may benefit as I don't spam normals that much, meaning her personal skill doesn't shine as much. Also, Shez's unique is actually pretty good, even though I don't use the dash that much since I'm swapping characters a lot.
-- I thought about Edelgard as setting everything on fire sounds fun, and it has synergy with Monica's 2nd personal skill. However, if I understand the "Essence of (Element)" skill correctly, it basically adds elemental effects to strong attacks and augments existing abilities. // I guess El's applies the element to everything though instead of being limited, but we'll see what all happens.

I'm likely to get Sylvain for Blue Lions since its similar to Ferdie's, but for damage and range instead of speed. As for the Golden Deer, I'm probably gonna pick up Jeralt's for the guard break as I feel like I'll need that if/when I got into Maddening difficulty. Marianne's is good too, but I'm going Jeralt as my 2nd round of playthroughs don't recruit Byleth.
-- Man, I already on the main 3 playthroughs as male protags for the "good ending/save everyone," then I have the alt 3 playthroughs as the female protags for the "bad ending/limited recruitment." Then there's Maddening Mode on top of that, as well as potential other runs...

As for a surprise MVP, Balthus has carrying me against Tomes as I don't have a Gauntlet user. The Gauntlet playstyle is rather fun too.
-- Otherwise, my main lineup of 8 are Shez, Edelgard, Hubert, Petra, Balthus, Ferdinand, Jeritza, and Lysithea. I am maxing out different classes and make sure to field those who are Energized for the EXP Bonus, so my composition does shift a bit. // I do wish I could use more characters, like Monica and Hapi, but I just don't have the space...
== As an aside, the Dark Mage moveset is really fun. At first I wasn't really using Hubert as he was yet another magic user, but when I got to Dark Mage, everything changed.

14 minutes ago, Sire said:

As a special item one obtains at the start of Part II...

Reveal hidden contents

It's the Merc Whistle. Give it to someone who has an A-Rank with Shez, and they will give you a unique accessory that replaces your Unique Action Skill with theirs.

I'm probably gonna go with Ferdinand, as the faster attack speed is nice and can easily apply to everyone. At first I thought about putting it on Shez (unless the unique acessory is Shez only), but I think maybe Dorothea may benefit as I don't spam normals that much, meaning her personal skill doesn't shine as much. Also, Shez's unique is actually pretty good, even though I don't use the dash that much since I'm swapping characters a lot.
-- I thought about Edelgard as setting everything on fire sounds fun, and it has synergy with Monica's 2nd personal skill. However, if I understand the "Essence of (Element)" skill correctly, it basically adds elemental effects to strong attacks and augments existing abilities. // I guess El's applies the element to everything though instead of being limited, but we'll see what all happens.

I'm likely to get Sylvain for Blue Lions since its similar to Ferdie's, but for damage and range instead of speed. As for the Golden Deer, I'm probably gonna pick up Jeralt's for the guard break as I feel like I'll need that if/when I got into Maddening difficulty. Marianne's is good too, but I'm going Jeralt as my 2nd round of playthroughs don't recruit Byleth.
-- Man, I already on the main 3 playthroughs as male protags for the "good ending/save everyone," then I have the alt 3 playthroughs as the female protags for the "bad ending/limited recruitment." Then there's Maddening Mode on top of that, as well as potential other runs...

Spoiler

I started Blue Lions, and while I haven't made the decision as to who I'm giving that to, I'm strongly leaning towards Felix, probably for the same reason you're leaning Freddy. In addition to the attack speed, Felix ends up with movement speed faster than mounted units just by pressing attack and instantly dash cancelling it. Your attack doesn't even need to connect with anything.

27 minutes ago, Fabulously Olivier said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I was thinking someone with a dark element passive like Hubert or Lysithea would work best since Shez has Dark Essence from Dark Mage.

Of course, Ferdinand, Sylvain, and Felix also have wildly OP passives.

Spoiler

I originally thought about what might be best oh Shaz, but the conclusion I came to was that Shaz's own personal is likely best. It's hard to quantify how impactful the long distance dash is in a pinch. It's single handedly saved me from failing missions a few times (better planning would have avoided those situations entirely, in fairness). Also you can just as easily pair up with Lysithea for Dark Assist on two of the routes.

22 minutes ago, Burklight said:
  Hide contents

I originally thought about what might be best oh Shaz, but the conclusion I came to was that Shaz's own personal is likely best. It's hard to quantify how impactful the long distance dash is in a pinch. It's single handedly saved me from failing missions a few times (better planning would have avoided those situations entirely, in fairness). Also you can just as easily pair up with Lysithea for Dark Assist on two of the routes.

Spoiler

I agree. The problem is that Shez's unique is too useful for the Merc whistle to really be optimal. But I guess flexibility is its own reward.

3 minutes ago, Fabulously Olivier said:
  Hide contents

I agree. The problem is that Shez's unique is too useful for the Merc whistle to really be optimal. But I guess flexibility is its own reward.

Spoiler

Is it a Shaz exclusive? I didn't read it too carefully, but I was under the impression anyone could use it.

Of the new characters I've taken quite a shine to count Gloucester due to how different he is then you'd think. In Three Houses he came across as Darin-light with only a lack of screentime not making him an outright villain. But here he's strangely nice. A pragmatist to be sure but its really drilled down that rather than being a bad person he just looks out for his own subjects with all he got. Lorenz even says his commoners love him. So with the count it seems that he's a nice guy and that its his job that makes him do shady things. 

While I like this development I also think the game took it a little bit too far.

Spoiler

The revelation that the death of Claude's uncle and Raphael's parents really was an accident after all just makes the whole affair and the count less interesting. Its also undermined by Three Houses clearly having the beast be controlled by a Gloucester knight who directly says its the count who makes him do it.

Count Bergliez also comes off really well. Despite acting like a wildling he's not quite the hulky bulky barbarian he looks like. He's depicted as someone with a good grasp on tactics rather than someone who just punches his way through problems, and he even seems quite a wise leader. His conversation with Caspar about whether to attack the retreating Alliance or not shows he's a lot less aggressive than he seems.  

I don't really have an opinion about Hevring yet. He doesn't really have a role in the Golden Deer route. So far he just seems to be the straight man to Bergliez's antics. 

6 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Of the new characters I've taken quite a shine to count Gloucester due to how different he is then you'd think. In Three Houses he came across as Darin-light with only a lack of screentime not making him an outright villain. But here he's strangely nice. A pragmatist to be sure but its really drilled down that rather than being a bad person he just looks out for his own subjects with all he got. Lorenz even says his commoners love him. So with the count it seems that he's a nice guy and that its his job that makes him do shady things. 

While I like this development I also think the game took it a little bit too far.

Hide contents

The revelation that the death of Claude's uncle and Raphael's parents really was an accident after all just makes the whole affair and the count less interesting. Its also undermined by Three Houses clearly having the beast be controlled by a Gloucester knight who directly says its the count who makes him do it.

Count Bergliez also comes off really well. Despite acting like a wildling he's not quite the hulky bulky barbarian he looks like. He's depicted as someone with a good grasp on tactics rather than someone who just punches his way through problems, and he even seems quite a wise leader. His conversation with Caspar about whether to attack the retreating Alliance or not shows he's a lot less aggressive than he seems.  

I don't really have an opinion about Hevring yet. He doesn't really have a role in the Golden Deer route. So far he just seems to be the straight man to Bergliez's antics. 

Spoiler

I'm fine with them changing it to be an accident strictly because Houses does nothing with this bombshell. You'd think it's make Ignatz and Raphael further relevant but it doesn't matter at all. Raphael's character was designed specifically to let everything go and no matter what, Count Gloucester is always praised and thought highly. Might as well commit to him being an "okay" guy.

So, I discovered that the "Essence of (Element)" does not give you elemental attacks like the House Leaders. It does exactly what it says, augmenting attacks, combat arts, and magic that use said element. If you want to add elemental attacks, you have to use "(Element) Assist" which requires Pair-Up.
-- Looks like my mass Warlock training will go back to Bandit/Warrior for Death Blow/Heavy Hitter. I know Death Blow is good as making the Stun Gauge last longer is amazing, but I'm not sure about the rate of Heavy Hitter. I'll keep it on for now, but I'm starting to have so many skills I don't know what to do with them all, and I have the max 10 Slots.
-- The House Leaders will likely appreciate the skill though, and I use Shez's Dark Essence when he's in his personal class. Shez's usage is a bit more limited, but it helps thematically when I give him Dark Combat Arts/Magic.

Now, as I'm now playing with Master Classes, there is something that bothers me.
-- The Unique Special Attacks are more limited than expected. For example, Ferdinand only gets his unique as a Cavalier/Paladin, as Holy Knight has a different moveset and special.
-- Gremory also has a unique moveset different from Mage/Warlock and Monk/Priest/Bishop. Maybe this is why some characters only get their special as a Gremory.
-- While I love the variety of movesets, if one enjoyed a previous moveset (say Mercenary, Warlock, Bishop, or Paladin), then one has to play in a lower tier class.
-- I still think the Master Classes are the superior option due to the class skills and "better movesets," but its a shame to lose out on existing movesets.

As an aside, I'm starting to get weapons that damage the user when they are above 50% Health, but are really powerful. I imagine they have great synergy with the "HP Threshhold" skills, but as I'm playing on Classic, I'm not sure if I'm going to experiment with such builds.
-- I probably should invest more in the Blacksmith and Forged Weapons, but I've been busy upgrading the camp and trying to learn as many skills as possible. I imagine once the Camp is maxed out, I can then focus on forged weapons and start unlocking some of these special effects.

I played a bit more and managed to recruit Byleth.

Spoiler

Holy crap, Byleth's unique action straight up stops time for a brief period. Not only that, but the allies still get to act, so its easy to get some free hits in or get a breather in bad situations.
-- However, since it is a time stop, there's no juggling or stun gauge action, so who knows how good it actually is when trying to speed-run missions. I have not checked to see if the time stop also actually stops the timer. // EDIT: There is a stun gauge while using the skill. It is amazing, and I need to learn to spam it as much as possible. Still haven't checker the timer though.
-- Byleth's also pretty fun. He can enchant his sword with elemental attacks (Fire, Lightning and Light at Silverheart, default Fire), and mixes up swordplay and magic with his moveset.

As for Jeralt, he's pretty cool, although I was disappointed that his unique special attack only applies to Paladin. I ran a small test since I saw he shared the same special attack as Ferdinand for Holy Knight, and that's how I discovered it.
-- I'm sure the Blade Breaker personal to charge up attacks to break guards will be rather useful.

Now for the Base Camp, Byleth and Jeralt can use the facilities.
-- The only time they may not be able to is during NG+ if they are recruited as "Bonus Characters" through Renown, but I have not confirmed this.

Jeralt's supports are limited, having only Shez, Byleth, and Manuela of all people on Scarlet Blaze. I'm not sure if he gets a support with Leonie has I don't have her yet.

As for Byleth supports, it's an interesting situation. While Byleth only gets voiced convos with Jeralt and Shez, Byleth's rank with everyone actually goes up to A. So, while's there is no conversation, Byleth can still enjoy the support bonuses.
-- This makes me wonder why this wasn't applied to other characters, such as Dorothea and Manuela, or the Ashen Wolves.

I am not looking forward to the alternative route where we actually kill Jeralt and Byleth. It sorta sucked when we couldn't save Jeralt from Kronya in Three Houses, but now we have to be the ones to actually kill him.
-- At least one gets FMVs by doing this route, and I'm wondering how the story changes. I'm sure its mostly the smaller detail stuff and not the overarching narrative, but still.

Edited by Sire

Its funny that this game took the instance of Edelgard doing much worse when siding with Byleth and made it into an outright trend of the countries faring better without their involvement.

In Three Houses Edelgard instantly defeats the church and Kingdom in all routes except the one where Byleth joins where, in which case she's stuck in a five year deadlock without any progress.

In Three Hopes the Kingdom sets the first steps in preventing their collapse precisely because Byleth never sets foot in the academy and the Alliance is far more unified in a world without Byleth in it.

11 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Its funny that this game took the instance of Edelgard doing much worse when siding with Byleth and made it into an outright trend of the countries faring better without their involvement.

In Three Houses Edelgard instantly defeats the church and Kingdom in all routes except the one where Byleth joins where, in which case she's stuck in a five year deadlock without any progress.

In Three Hopes the Kingdom sets the first steps in preventing their collapse precisely because Byleth never sets foot in the academy and the Alliance is far more unified in a world without Byleth in it.

Does that make Byleth the teaching/tactical equivalent of Mr. Bean?

5 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I mean, it's not entirely better, just different. Everything starts so much better, but Hopes makes it apparent that Edelgard, Dimitri, and Claude each have enough power, wits, and resources to cancel each other out, and Shez is not powerful enough on his/her own to really tip the scales (certainly not as much military and cultural cachet as Byleth with Sword of the Creator). So instead of a "death" then "rebirth" of a unified and glorious Fodlan, we get . . . endless stalemate.

I just finished Azure Gleam in 45 hours. It was my first musou. I did Dimitri and Edelgard stories in 3H and just read a summary of Claude's lol.

Story :

Spoiler

The beginning was nice, very fast paced. Was about conflict between the nobles. I liked that. Then it was about beating the empire and... somehow something about Edelgard, Thales and Chez ?

I did recruit Byleth so I did the 2 extra chapters about Shez and I didn't understand a single thing lol. It is just NOT EXPLAINED. Why even bother with it ? Why not just make Shez a normal mercenary ? Him being a vessel or I don't know what doesn't impact the story at all.

Byleth is useless. I don't understand why he/she is in the story. Marketing I guess.

Once again, I don't understand what is going on with Edelgard. Very inconsistent character like in 3H.

This story is what I wanted from 3H. This story is complete. We beat Edelgard. We beat Thales. We know that a conflict (war or diplomacy) will arrive because of the church/Claude. It was weird that Claude said "oups cyaa, I'm going home mates" in 3H. It was weird that Thales died by pure luck. It was weird that Dimitri ended up thinking Edelgard war the main  perpetrator of the Duscur tragedy.

The supports were meh, like always in Fire Emblem since Awakening. There are too much of them. You can skip them depending of the music playing lol.

I don't know if the story will be different in other routes, like it was in 3H. The first chapters happen because Dimitri protects Rhea. Shez doesn't have anything to do with it... I will see. 

My problems with 3H was mainly the monastery, the calendar thing, Byleth and the timeskip way too late. Those 4 problems are gone so the story is better. SImple as that.

Gameplay :

I played on normal at the beginning and on hard later on. This game is VERY easy. Near chapter 10 I didn't even bothered with tactics, strategy anymore.. Shez destroys everything at a very high pace. My biggest issue was the death counter haha. Sometimes I just waited patiently in front of a spawner to kill ennemies.

Even tough each character has one special ability, it is the classes that defines how you play. I fear that replayability will suffer from that in other routes.

And not defense map wtf ? It just kill the boss/rout all game.

Nice game, probably won't play the other routes right away since the game (or the genre ?) is VERY repetitive.

Edited by CompteSecours

14 hours ago, Moonlit Knight said:

So instead of a "death" then "rebirth" of a unified and glorious Fodlan, we get . . . endless stalemate.

That's one interpretation. Another, at least in Golden Wildfire, is that

Spoiler

with Rhea gone there's a chance for peace without any Lords dying or a massive five year war. 

I find it curious that the two ''secret characters'' aren't secret characters at all. You don't recruit them by doing something special, but by just dutifully following the not particularly hard mission the game tells you to do. ''Do not persue Lu Bu'' the game told me. Thus, I didn't persue Lu Bu and I got two secret characters because I was a good boy who followed my mission objective. 

I'm not sure the devs put much thought on who should be playable and who not. I mean I guess I can understand Hanneman being unplayable since the game is chuck full of mages, but in Golden Wildfire there are actually very few natural axe units beside Hilda. Having Alois would have helped balance the weapon triangle out a bit as he'd be an axe unit in a route that barely has any. 

I just started the demo and just completed the third chapter, so I thought I'd give my first impressions of the game. Please bear in mind that I've never played a Warriors game before.

The combat is... interesting. It is taking a bit of getting used to, as I'm really not used to combo-based combat like this; my main experience with it has been fighting games (which I don't really play all that much) and Monster Hunter Rise, and for that game, I picked sword-&-shield for its ease of use and the fact that I could quickly use items at any time to compensate for my struggles with pulling off combos while also trying to remain observant of the situation. Personally, I would've liked a way to freely practice using each character and learning their particular combos and abilities; a training grounds, essentially. Monster Hunter Rise offered that, and it was a massive help. As it is, the first two chapters helped a bit, but it meant that I only got used to using Shez and the three house leaders.

Managing the different units during the battle has reminded me why I'm not a fan of real-time strategy games; the reason I like strategy RPGs is that they allow me to take my time and come up with strategies for an efficient and complete victory; having to do it all in real time makes into more of a game of keeping up with everything around you. Fortunately, keeping up has been straightforward, and so far I've been getting A and S in everything, but I can't escape the feeling that the difficulty is going to spike and it's going to be harder to keep up. Is it?

Opening the game with Shez losing against Byleth was a fun surprise... or at least it would be if I didn't already know about it. But I didn't know what kind of forced defeat it would be, so I was still caught off-guard. When I saw that Shez deals some damage to Byleth, albeit scratch damage, I thought it might've been possible to "win", so I kept avoiding Byleth's attacks and attacked when I had an opening as I wanted to see what would happen. The answer of course was that it's a timed battle the player can't win: survive long enough and the cutscene of Shez losing plays. That felt a little anticlimactic, but it probably wouldn't have been if I hadn't known in advance that the fight is unwinnable.

I chose to pick the Black Eagles. They were my favourite house in Three Houses, and I heard about some of the ways that the game's plot changes (like Monica surviving) and I thought that the Black Eagles would be the most interesting to try first because of it.

I found how long the player stays at the school (i.e. not at all) rather amusing. I was kind-of looking forward to seeing how being a student rather than a professor would change things, and the answer is school effectively stops after only one chapter. A little disappointing, but I understand wanting to get straight to the war part in a Warriors game. Still, it would've been nice to see Shez spend just a little bit of time as a student, even if entirely in cutscenes.

Overall, I thought it was kind-of fun. Trying to get used to it is a bit awkward, but it is fun.

Edited by vanguard333

19 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

1. Personally, I would've liked a way to freely practice using each character and learning their particular combos and abilities; a training grounds, essentially.

2. Managing the different units during the battle has reminded me why I'm not a fan of real-time strategy games...

1. There is a "Training Grounds" option for "Mock Battles" that allows for the freedom of testing out movesets. It should unlock at the start of Chapter 4.
-- The potential "good news" is that Three Hopes has class-based movesets, so if you are playing as a Mercenary, any character in that class will have the same core moveset. It's just the details that change (personal skill, support skill, and tactical skill).
-- Movesets also tend to stay the same as one gets into more advanced classes, as most get expanded combos. There are exceptions to this, but that applies more for the retail game than the demo.
== For a quick rundown, here's how I see most movesets in Warriors games, with this info mostly applying for Three Hopes.
=== Strong Attack 1 - Launcher (knock enemies into the air)
=== Strong Attack 2 - Single Target (Best for fighting enemy officers)
=== Strong Attack 3 - Multi-Target (Best when clearing out regular mobs)
=== Regular Attacks Chains (When trying to deplete a Stun Gauge, or need the safety of being able to dodge/block as strong attacks may have a wind-up)

2. You technically don't have to give orders to your allies and keep constantly changing between your characters. While it is true one may not get S-Ranks for everything this way (mostly due to the timer), its possible to just main Shez and run around the map manually. Your allies can handle themselves well enough.
-- Shezs "ZR" personal skill allows him to "dash" short distances quickly, which can later be upgraded for longer distances.
-- In addition, Shez gets a unique skill that greatly helps with mobility during the main chapter 4 mission, so getting from point A to point B is easy for Shez. However, as this chapter is locked in the demo, one won't get to see it.
== Of course, you could also manage all your forces by giving them orders and making use of their Tactical Skill, which rewards players for giving that character relevant orders (attacking an enemy, guarding an ally, seizing a stronghold, defending a stronghold). There's also swapping between characters, so you can finish an objective on run character, tell them to go somewhere else, and swap to someone who needs to finish their objective. This way one doesn't have to walk everywhere and is constantly fighting something.