Three Hopes General Discussion Thread

Is there really anything in the game that challenges you to get max stats with multiple characters? I've just fed stat boosters into my 120 Shez and it's been sufficient to S rank almost every Maddening Map.

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

32 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Is there really anything in the game that challenges you to get max stats with multiple characters? I've just fed stat boosters into my 120 Shez and it's been sufficient to S rank almost every Maddening Map.

Nah, even without tons of stat boosters, by the time your troops are hitting 120, Maddening really has little to challenge you with, even before then really. Maddening is certainly a huge difficulty spike compared to Hard, but even Maddening still gets easy eventually.

I'm curious as to what Warriors fans will define as 100% completion in this game. They do tend to get anal about things like maxing out every character.

Obviously, this is a game where stat capping everyone is grossly impractical, and getting all the merc whistle items would take over 40 runs. Even I don't like it enough to do that nonsense.

25 minutes ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

I'm curious as to what Warriors fans will define as 100% completion in this game. They do tend to get anal about things like maxing out every character.

Obviously, this is a game where stat capping everyone is grossly impractical, and getting all the merc whistle items would take over 40 runs. Even I don't like it enough to do that nonsense.

At last we have a completion goal that's more tedious than unlocking Ashnard in Path of Radiance.

Edited by Jotari

2 hours ago, Archeleon said:

Definitely would recommend resetting levels and leveling up as a certain class to acquire desired stats. If you are smart about it you can get very high on the stats with minimal booster investment. I made myself a calculator that predicts somewhat accurately what stats will look like leveling as each class. Don't underestimate getting some quality time grinding on each character as you learn about their personal and level up their Combat Arts/Spells. I personally am not going for full 120 stats on everyone as it would be very painful to get 120 Def on Lysithea for example. Will I get Hubert's Mag to 120? For sure.

Guess Level Resets may be required then, although I'll be needing a lot more gold now since I'm not finished forging my weapons yet.
-- I'm more interested in mastering all classes than leveling everyone up to 120 and capping stats. Maybe I'll cap out the House Leaders and Byleth, but doing everyone seems like a hassle.

While I do have a fair amount of maxed MT weapons, I still want to max out the MT of every Sacred Weapon, Relic, and Unique Weapon before I start attempting Durability. This also gives me time to wait for good weapon drops worth forging, which I personally find Reckless Power being a requirement.
-- It also doesn't help Durability isn't really needed as there's plenty at baseline, with leveling up the CA/Magic reducing the cost as well as certain foods reducing the cost further. The only weapons that really want Durability are those with the CA/Magic cooldown reduction, as they can burn through the points rather quickly.

1 hour ago, Jotari said:

The only thing that I think qualifies for a "superboss" or an "Awakening Apotheosis" equivalent is the Gatekeeper Paralogue on Maddening.
-- Even then though, I managed to fly through it fairly easily with my nearly maxed Shez. The main issue was meeting the HP Threshold requirements for S-Rank as one good hit can ruin the run.

But yeah, while Maddening is indeed more difficult than Hard, characters who are fresh off of a Hard Mode playthrough (level 50+) should be able to handle themselves without much issue.

3 minutes ago, Sire said:

While I do have a fair amount of maxed MT weapons, I still want to max out the MT of every Sacred Weapon, Relic, and Unique Weapon before I start attempting Durability. This also gives me time to wait for good weapon drops worth forging, which I personally find Reckless Power being a requirement.
-- It also doesn't help Durability isn't really needed as there's plenty at baseline, with leveling up the CA/Magic reducing the cost as well as certain foods reducing the cost further. The only weapons that really want Durability are those with the CA/Magic cooldown reduction, as they can burn through the points rather quickly.

I can certainly attest that even with maxed out durability, Suttungr's Mystery can still run dry on a longer length mission, the more powerful spells are expensive, even with the cost reduction from cooking and higher levels of the spells. The cooldown reduction combined with the natural cooldown reduction from Gremory allows for spamming spells all day. And given that one of my favorite combos remains Excalibur + Agnea's Arrow, neither of which are cheap, if you don't have Armsthrift, you'd be amazed how quickly the durability can deplete.

Personally I've been maxing might and durability whenever I can, but my play style is very heavily focused on CA/Magic use, so it pays off.

2 hours ago, Sire said:

The only thing that I think qualifies for a "superboss" or an "Awakening Apotheosis" equivalent is the Gatekeeper Paralogue on Maddening.

I wouldn't compare it with Apotheosis, Anna was another than the house leaders, the Gatekepper Chapter was more like a medicore max level challenge.
I got the S rank in maddening with my first try on this difficulty, my Shez wasn't 120 at this point, so I used my first 120 unit Lysithea (as a mortal savant). However I had already maxed out all her stats, but Luck, so it will be more challenging with a fresh 120 character.

Hopefully we get a Lunatic+ mode, or something else in the future. We need more challenging content for max level, currently I don't have a lot of motivation to max out everyone, because of the lack of postgame content. After the 3 routes and the maddening runs, are only a few achievements left to complete.

I have a bit of issue with the difficulty curve in general. I wouldn't say Maddening is necessarily easier than Hard, but it does feel a lot more mindless as I just Shez and whomever else I can afford to level up using money to accomplish everything. For Hard I had to pay attention to who I was using and where I was sending them a lot more. Maddening just involves getting the under levelled units out of the way by assigning them as Adjutants or something. What's the alternative though? Don't use New Game+ and a massively over levelled Shez? Well that doesn't sound fun at all as it would involve pounding at level 150 enemies with a level 1 character for an excessively long time. And for all that effort they'll only level up once. Maybe they expected me to play through all the routes on Hard and then play through all the routes on Maddening when I had a team full of end game units, but that just sounds like it would compound the Shez problem if anything, as if he can do everything by himself, a level 120 Claude or Edelgard helping him isn't gong to reduce the difficulty by any measure. I really like the idea of max levelled enemies throughout the entire game designed to be tackled with New Game+, and I'd like to see it in traditional Fire Emblem, but for this game the route system makes it seem uniquely unfit for such a mode. At least not without increasing the level of exp you can garner by defeating high level enemies so my new recruits aren't trapped at single digit levels until I can put aside enough cash (which is very limited in the early game) to level them up artificially.

On 8/7/2022 at 7:58 PM, Sire said:

1. Depends on playstyle, really.
-- If you plan on switching characters a lot, stacking advantages (greater advantage) can be good as they are unlikely to be facing enemies that grant them disadvantage.
-- If you plan on maining a single character, one may want to negate any disadvantages so one can solo the entire map with said character without much difficulty. Alternatively, get a battalion to increase the range of what the character has advantage over.
-- The third option is to just place your favorite battalion (or the unit's personal battalion, unlocked through Paralogues) and just don't worry about it.

2. Tomes vs Bows and Gauntlets vs Tomes can be a hard matchup, mostly due to the aggression of the AI. I know the "Tornado Move" from enemy Snipers is rather annoying, and if an enemy spellcaster manages to hit you with a charged attack, it can hurt a lot.
-- Enemy Gauntlets can sometimes catch one off guard due to their juggle capabilities, and enemy Lance Cavalry can be annoying when they charge forward. However, I'll say it's mostly the Snipers and Spellcasters that tend to be troublesome.

3. I think they are a random drop. Just keep in mind all normal weapons (not Relics, Sacred, or Unique) can have modifiers, so you may want to hold off on super-forging a weapon until you get a combination of attributes you want.
-- For example, I got a +80 Rapier with no attributes, as I didn't know Rapiers can drop with them.

These are helpful. Thanks. Speaking of weapon attributes, is Reckless Power crappy? Because halved weapon durability for a slight power boost sounds like a poor tradeoff. And on the subject of enemies, do all the Brawler line classes use Rushing Blow as enemies? Because that can easily catch you off guard if you either aren't focused on them or happen to be dealing with something else.

Edited by Shadow Mir

4 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

These are helpful. Thanks. Speaking of weapon attributes, is Reckless Power crappy? Because halved weapon durability for a slight power boost sounds like a poor tradeoff. And on the subject of enemies, do all the Brawler line classes use Rushing Blow as enemies? Because that can easily catch you off guard if you either aren't focused on them or happen to be dealing with something else.

Reckless Power is widely considered to be one of the best weapon attributes in the game, because while it does reduce weapon durability, that effect rapidly diminishes as you upgrade the weapon's durability. At maximum durability, Reckless power is the difference between a top tier weapon having around 520-530 durability, and it having 450-460 durability. Meanwhile, the might of said weapon goes from around 520-530 to around 630-640. It's a very good tradeoff, if you really invest in that weapon.

3 minutes ago, ZanaLyrander said:

At maximum durability, Reckless power is the difference between a top tier weapon having around 520-530 durability, and it having 450-460 durability. Meanwhile, the might of said weapon goes from around 520-530 to around 630-640. It's a very good tradeoff, if you really invest in that weapon.

Hmm. Assuming you have >100 strength or magic by that point, that's a... ~14% damage upgrade? Seems decent though not exceptional, considering it actually has a downside (albeit, not much of one by that point for most builds).

At lower levels I think the skill is definitely more of a tradeoff. It really depends how much you're using CAs/spells with the character in question, and/or how expensive those are.

5 minutes ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

Hmm. Assuming you have >100 strength or magic by that point, that's a... ~14% damage upgrade? Seems decent though not exceptional, considering it actually has a downside (albeit, not much of one by that point for most builds).

At lower levels I think the skill is definitely more of a tradeoff. It really depends how much you're using CAs/spells with the character in question, and/or how expensive those are.

I've found that even with Reckless Power, I rarely run dry on durability, and that's coming from someone who uses CAs/spells heavily. If you could get Reckless Power and something that decreases cooldowns for CAs/spells, that would be a problem, but you can't. It's a significant increase in damage, with a downside that rarely becomes relevant. That's a win in my book.

Edited by ZanaLyrander

Midgame I had a Reckless Power axe which limited me to just three uses of War Strike even after upping its durability a fair deal. It definitely can come up, it just depends on build and point in the game.

edit: oh wait, I realize you were responding to my first paragraph rather than my second, sorry. In that case, yeah, that makes sense.

Edited by Dark Holy Elf

8 minutes ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

Midgame I had a Reckless Power axe which limited me to just three uses of War Strike even after upping its durability a fair deal. It definitely can come up, it just depends on build and point in the game.

edit: oh wait, I realize you were responding to my first paragraph rather than my second, sorry. In that case, yeah, that makes sense.

Oh yeah, I should have clarified, when I said earlier that you need to really invest in the weapon for it to be a good tradeoff, Reckless Power is a late game attribute. You need to really upgrade the durability for it to be viable. If you're not at the point where you are beginning to max out your weapons, upgrade them to +100, steer clear of Reckless Power. Once you do reach that point, it becomes not only viable, but possibly the best in slot. But it is not meant for early or mid game use, the drawback is too costly.

The Factor abilities seem like they might lead to more damage on paper (+25% damage with a stat of 100), but I suppose they're part of the blender with other abilities like Offensive Tactics so it would depend how many of those you have. Do we know how good the abilities are that raise specific things like regular attacks, strong attacks, magic/CAs, and monster damage?

6 minutes ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

The Factor abilities seem like they might lead to more damage on paper (+25% damage with a stat of 100), but I suppose they're part of the blender with other abilities like Offensive Tactics so it would depend how many of those you have. Do we know how good the abilities are that raise specific things like regular attacks, strong attacks, magic/CAs, and monster damage?

Sadly no. The way Three Hopes calculates damage is still incredibly vague, so evaluating the relative strength of various weapon attributes is extremely difficult still.

3 hours ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

I do prefer Factors over Reckless Power in general if the unit already makes good use of a stat, like Shez with Spd.

On 8/9/2022 at 12:39 PM, ZanaLyrander said:

Reckless Power is widely considered to be one of the best weapon attributes in the game, because while it does reduce weapon durability, that effect rapidly diminishes as you upgrade the weapon's durability. At maximum durability, Reckless power is the difference between a top tier weapon having around 520-530 durability, and it having 450-460 durability. Meanwhile, the might of said weapon goes from around 520-530 to around 630-640. It's a very good tradeoff, if you really invest in that weapon.

Okay then. Admittedly, I'm still early in the game, which might have something to do with it; it's hard to be impressed when my weapons are only boosted by 10-ish points.

I found a bow that i can't tell if it is good or not in the hands of the right character. I'm sure it isn't really all that up for dispute that the bow "The Inexhaustible" is a really good bow. It heals hp (amplifies that effect on Bernie for having Indech crest and hopefully Hanneman gets added in a later update if they ever even get around to updating this game which i'm assuming isn't gonna happen) and as it's secondary effect reduces cooldowns of combat arts by 50%. On top of it having good power/durability at base due to being a holy relic (silver icon) weapon.

Now between Braves and Zoltan weapons having the next best base power/dura for not being a crest/holy weapon or unique, i found a Brave with Dexterity Factor Lv3 and Invoke Crest Effect Lv3 and i'm having a hard time figuring out if this is gonna be even better on Berndetta or not. Shamir, Ignatz, and Ashe are all crestless archers so it wouldn't work on them, and improving Bernie's proc on her crest sounds better than reducing cooldowns by 50%. What do y'all think? Especially late game when Bernie's dex is more than likely gonna be thru the roof.  

26 minutes ago, Tediz64 said:

I found a bow that i can't tell if it is good or not in the hands of the right character. I'm sure it isn't really all that up for dispute that the bow "The Inexhaustible" is a really good bow. It heals hp (amplifies that effect on Bernie for having Indech crest and hopefully Hanneman gets added in a later update if they ever even get around to updating this game which i'm assuming isn't gonna happen) and as it's secondary effect reduces cooldowns of combat arts by 50%. On top of it having good power/durability at base due to being a holy relic (silver icon) weapon.

Now between Braves and Zoltan weapons having the next best base power/dura for not being a crest/holy weapon or unique, i found a Brave with Dexterity Factor Lv3 and Invoke Crest Effect Lv3 and i'm having a hard time figuring out if this is gonna be even better on Berndetta or not. Shamir, Ignatz, and Ashe are all crestless archers so it wouldn't work on them, and improving Bernie's proc on her crest sounds better than reducing cooldowns by 50%. What do y'all think? Especially late game when Bernie's dex is more than likely gonna be thru the roof.  

It might be good for a while, but anything below Zoltan isn't going to be all that useful lategame. Brave weapons only get +4 to might/durability per upgrade (+7 with upgrades to the blacksmith), whereas Zoltan and regalia weapons get +5/+8, so they'll fall off in strength late game.

41 minutes ago, ZanaLyrander said:

It might be good for a while, but anything below Zoltan isn't going to be all that useful lategame. Brave weapons only get +4 to might/durability per upgrade (+7 with upgrades to the blacksmith), whereas Zoltan and regalia weapons get +5/+8, so they'll fall off in strength late game.

What actually is the difference between Zoltan and Regalia if they have the same damage per rank? Is it just base damage?

5 minutes ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

What actually is the difference between Zoltan and Regalia if they have the same damage per rank? Is it just base damage?

Yeah, and it's not a huge difference either, it's like... maybe 10-20 more might/durability? They're pretty much comparable.

Okay another question, i know to take the descriptions of some stuff in this game with a grain of salt cause of some bugs/errors (such as Apex abilities, Pass ability from Trickster incorrectly listing it helps on perfect blocks instead of perfect dodges) but what about this ability. Doest the community know if it is any good?

Innate Ability : Nullify Magic. How exactly does that work? It says nullifies enemie's offensive magic but does that mean all attacks from mages? Such as their y-string combo, x-string combo, and any spells they cast? 

22 minutes ago, Tediz64 said:

Okay another question, i know to take the descriptions of some stuff in this game with a grain of salt cause of some bugs/errors (such as Apex abilities, Pass ability from Trickster incorrectly listing it helps on perfect blocks instead of perfect dodges) but what about this ability. Doest the community know if it is any good?

Innate Ability : Nullify Magic. How exactly does that work? It says nullifies enemie's offensive magic but does that mean all attacks from mages? Such as their y-string combo, x-string combo, and any spells they cast? 

I think it only applies to spells, like Nosferatu for example. I had seen a video about innate abilities, and Edelgard was still taking damage from normal attacks.

Not sure if this is common knowledge and/or true in previous musou games, but I figured out recently that you can heal completely for free (time-wise): just pause the game (doable even mid-animation/etc.), and choose the heal command to use a healing item. You'll be healed instantly with no animation time required when you unpause.

This further devalues my respect for self-healing skills/weapons, and further cements in my mind that Lifeforce and Impossible Feat are great skills.