Best merc whistle uses in each route?

Just curious what everyones thoughts regarding what the best recipients for this is.

I only finished Edelgard's route, and am only half way through Dimitri's so far. So i'm a bit unfamilar with most of the abilities for everyone Claude's route.

But I believe the best choices for it are Felix and Sylvain so far. Since their personal skills are incredibly good for a variety of characters. But I would love to see others thoughts regarding this item. Since its going to take 30+ playthroughs to get all the items. And its something that should be prioritized using on those with the most valuable skills to copy.

Honestly I don’t think the Merc whistle was implemented to well.  No one personal is that bad, that it need to replace. Forcing the personals to change is like removing what make characters different. Shez’s personal is strong and shouldn’t be replaced.

Felix, Ferdinand, Sylvain are excellent choices for a variety of characters. Balthus is also a good general choice for gold farming. Byleth's skill is overpowered.

I reckon Ashe specifically would benefit from a more useful wind skill, such as from Claude, Linhardt, or Yuri.

All of the Lord abilities are good fits for anyone with the matching "Essence of Element" skill.

The main problem I have with the merc whistle items is that they are accessories, so you have to give up your accessory slot in order to use them. And a change in personal ability really isn't gonna be worth that, given how many useful accessories there are in the game, and also given that none of the characters seem to have actually bad personal abilities. So generally you're spending your one and only accessory slot to replace an ability with an ability that is usually not better, just different, only slightly better if anything. It's still a neat idea, but it needed its own equipment slot rather than taking up your one and only accessory slot.

I actually think merc whistle is going to be pretty important for maddening mode min/maxing stuff, but it's almost for sure not worth the effort even on hard mode. I think Felix/Ferdinand personals are actually going to be S tier on any carry unit you plan on using that can't get Stalwart Stance so you can hit your combo strings fast enough that it doesn't matter (someone like Hilda comes to mind) but there's zero chance that's better than using experience/knowledge gems until you get all the abilities you want.

Here's my thoughts.

Best choices:

Byleth - overwhelmingly powerful time freeze.

Balthus - gold farming.

Ferdinand, Felix, Sylvain, Leonie, Holst, and Catherine - universally useful damage boosts.

Marianne - powerful damage and crowd control, especially on characters with Essence of Ice.

Lorenz - makes you damn near invulnerable.

I was also thinking the elemental personal skills from the main lords would be good options to grab at some point, since I feel they would be good on certain other characters with bad personal skills.

Anyone in particular you feel would benefit most from those wind, lightning, and fire effects over their regular personal skill?

I'm a bit unclear on if those elemental personal skills benefit from the Essence of [Element] skills. Some people seem to indicate that they do, but the description at least doesn't seem to include abilities in the list of effects that it empowers, so I'm uncertain. But if they do, pretty much anyone with Essence of Fire, Lightning, or Wind could get some serious benefit out of those abilities.

Honestly, Essence of [Element] are some of the best abilities in the game, they dramatically improve a ton of combat arts, spells, and combos.

2 minutes ago, Faellin said:

I was also thinking the elemental personal skills from the main lords would be good options to grab at some point, since I feel they would be good on certain other characters with bad personal skills.

Anyone in particular you feel would benefit most from those wind, lightning, and fire effects over their regular personal skill?

Bad wind skill - Ashe. Petra's is debateable since it's so defensive in nature, but it has so much utility. Maybe Linhardt? I don't know how much those turrets actually contribute?

I don't feel like any of the fire and thunder skills are actually bad.

2 minutes ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

Bad wind skill - Ashe. Petra's is debateable since it's so defensive in nature, but it has so much utility. Maybe Linhardt? I don't know how much those turrets actually contribute?

I don't feel like any of the fire and thunder skills are actually bad.

Hilda has a bad lightning personal ability. I mean, it isn't bad per say, but WL doesn't have aoe problems, so she'd probably rather have Dimitri/Holst/Felix/Ferdinand personal.

As for fire...there are a handful of units with unrelated personal abilities that have Essence of Fire. If you don't want more attack speed on Balthus, I think he would REALLY enjoy Edelgard's personal, for example. 

3 minutes ago, Burklight said:

Hilda has a bad lightning personal ability. I mean, it isn't bad per say, but WL doesn't have aoe problems, so she'd probably rather have Dimitri/Holst/Felix/Ferdinand personal.

It's great for Great Knight Hilda.

13 minutes ago, ciphertul said:

It's great for Great Knight Hilda.

I haven't actually tried Great Knight on Hilda yet, I'll have to tonight. In general tho I can't stand how slow it feels, and Hilda doesn't get Stalwart Stance, so I'm assuming you just use C2 and C3 with her personal constantly?

3 minutes ago, Burklight said:

I haven't actually tried Great Knight on Hilda yet, I'll have to tonight. In general tho I can't stand how slow it feels, and Hilda doesn't get Stalwart Stance, so I'm assuming you just use C2 and C3 with her personal constantly?

You mostly use it for peons, Freikugel's passive makes her a excellent dueler without using her personal

5 minutes ago, ciphertul said:

You mostly use it for peons, Freikugel's passive makes her a excellent dueler without using her personal

It actually hadn't occurred to me to use her like that. I've been using Darting Blow + Battle Instincts + Burst of Resolve with speedup personals to just stay in awakening mode as long as possible and murder things that way.

1 minute ago, Burklight said:

It actually hadn't occurred to me to use her like that. I've been using Darting Blow + Battle Instincts + Burst of Resolve with speedup personals to just stay in awakening mode as long as possible and murder things that way.

She just ruins commander with Apoc Flame or War Strike, if they survive she shreds the shield gauge with darting blow and overwhelm. I believe that Freikugel has the highest damage out of the Relics and I think it only loses to Reckless power.

2 minutes ago, ciphertul said:

She just ruins commander with Apoc Flame or War Strike, if they survive she shreds the shield gauge with darting blow and overwhelm. I believe that Freikugel has the highest damage out of the Relics and I think it only loses to Reckless power.

Hilda has some of the more nutty passive skill combos for straight damage anyway in addition to Freikugel, anyway. Luna, Offensive Tactics, Big Game Hunter, Undaunted...there aren't THAT many units that have the combination of the first three. I just looked, and the only other main game unit to get Undaunted is Flayn, for some stupid reason.

1 minute ago, Burklight said:

Hilda has some of the more nutty passive skill combos for straight damage anyway in addition to Freikugel, anyway. Luna, Offensive Tactics, Big Game Hunter, Undaunted...there aren't THAT many units that have the combination of the first three. I just looked, and the only other main game unit to get Undaunted is Flayn, for some stupid reason.

She also is one of only 2 that get both Luna and Flare.

Just now, Burklight said:

Is there a reason to use both at the same time?

Any of the magic AC like Lightning Axe do benefit from Flare.

Edited by ciphertul

Yeah, I assumed so. But if you're spamming that you probably don't run Luna? Hilda has more damage passives than she knows what to do with honestly, it's hard for me to imagine that being optimal. But I haven't number crunched it either so it could be.

6 minutes ago, Burklight said:

Yeah, I assumed so. But if you're spamming that you probably don't run Luna? Hilda has more damage passives than she knows what to do with honestly, it's hard for me to imagine that being optimal. But I haven't number crunched it either so it could be.

Depends on how you use it, Lightning Axe's low cooldown make it a great emergency dodge button.

8 minutes ago, ciphertul said:

Depends on how you use it, Lightning Axe's low cooldown make it a great emergency dodge button.

The same could be said for Returning Axe though, and that keeps your damage type consistent. The reason to pick Lightning Axe should be for the status effect. Or, you know, Crusher Annette.

And I certainly wouldn't use both Flare and Luna in the same build.

Edited by Fabulously Olivier

You know what the saddest thing is? Of all the personal abilities I'd want an accessory to replicate, the one I think I'd want the most is Shez's. The increased mobility that Shez has is a godsend for so many time dependent objectives, and eliminates one of the main drawbacks of classes with lower mobility. I'd love to be able to give that ability to some of the Tome wielders so they can get around faster and more easily dodge attacks.

27 minutes ago, ZanaLyrander said:

You know what the saddest thing is? Of all the personal abilities I'd want an accessory to replicate, the one I think I'd want the most is Shez's. The increased mobility that Shez has is a godsend for so many time dependent objectives, and eliminates one of the main drawbacks of classes with lower mobility. I'd love to be able to give that ability to some of the Tome wielders so they can get around faster and more easily dodge attacks.

Wont help with dodging, but any magic user with a crest can use  Fetters of Dromi for move speed. I was using it on Emperor Edelgard towards the end of my SB run.