Special Heroes (Taken by the Tide)

Well finally a banner where all I want is the 4* I can save orbs!  For me Seth being the TT unit is great I hope he is actually good this time instead like of his OG version which I haven't used in years.  

I feel bad for Eirika fans, they can never recover their orb stash before IS throws another alt at them again.

Lmao, the censorship for the goddess alt is hilarious.

Edited by Nym

This summer banner feels a bit underwhelming compared to the first one, where even the demote unit had a prf weapon and a prf skill.

Duo!Thórr is tempting, but a ranged flier with no speed is not that good. Plus, CYL is around the corner and I need to save after sparking for Summer Dimitri.

As someone who actually likes Eirika ... why. She has five alts, give someone else one already. Eirika already had one more alt than her brother (whom admittedly I'm not too fond of) because of the random mage alt when he won CYL before her, and now they're even further lopsided. If they were determined to make this half Sacred Stones, why not Ephraim? Nifl and the Duo would've been enough female units on the banner to make people want to pull, and Ephraim would've pulled in money too. Seth finally getting an alt is good, but still not sure why it had to be Sacred Stones or why Celica hasn't gotten anything in forever.

The only good thing is that green Eirika means that she finally covers the entire weapon triangle now at least.

Even when they finally give him an alt, IS still sent Seth out to die by making him a freebie axe cav after four straight premium axe cavs. And speaking of being sent out to die, Summer Lyon has got to be one of the most dead on arrival 4* seasonals of all time. He's literally just meant to be fodder. 

But if you can put the excessive male shafting aside, this banner looks great but at the same time significantly less impressive than the previous Summer banner (and that'll probably be reflected in the sales numbers).

5 minutes ago, Sunwoo said:

As someone who actually likes Eirika ... why.

Maybe she needed to keep matching with Tana? I mean, they both have young alts, same type of Resplendent, and now Eirika has a Summer alt like Tana. Just watch, by the end of the year Tana will get a Winter alt to complement Eirika's.

---

Also, on the subject, I like how Eirika only has clownfish... then bam, surprise blue tang in her special attack. lol

If I had a nickel for every possible Finding Nemo reference in a Summer alt I'd have two nickels, which isn't much but strange it happened twice...

Edited by Acacia Sgt

Insta pull. Luckily I skipped on the 3H banner to see what's coming, and it was worth it. All in for Summer Eirika, let's goooooo! She looks gorgeous. 

Alright, bias aside let's do proper first impressions on the whole banner. 

So S!Eirika is the best and overshadows everything else has a stat spread of 39/39/42/25/22 which is not too shabby. Her Prf has Slaying, Spectrum +5, offensive half of NFU and Guard. Combine it with Moonlit Bangle F (same as B!Eirika except the Canto is only 1 space) and she'll nuke pretty hard. She doesn't have effectiveness or dmg reduction like her Brave counterpart so she's going to struggle a bit against DC users, in other words Bector is going to be a pain despite S!Eirika being green. Moonlit Bangle dealing true dmg based on Def is also a bit iffy when S!Eirika targets Res, but nowadays tanks tend to be quite bulky on both sides so she's probably going to be fine until she's faced with the likes of Micaiah and Guinivere. 

S!Nifl was easily guessed from the silhouettes. Still has her support capabilities from Domain of Ice. Her Prf is Slaying, NFU, +6 Atk/Spd and a Firesweep effect if she doubles her opponent. Simple but strong. She's certainly going to be annoying for Near Save units as they won't be able to counter her (unless they are of the Savvy Fighter category like V!Lucina). 

S!Lyon is the demote, and from what it looks like he's going to be a slow sword infantry like S!Helbindi. The guaranteed follow-up on his weapon is nice as it frees the B or seal slot from QR. 

And the Duo is Thorr & Loki. Duo Skill is Gravity Ploy and buff neutralization. Worldbreaker is still amazing so it's nice that S!Thorr keeps it. The prf has Slaying, the Spendthrift effect, CD reduction if she's close to allies, and a new debuff alongside Stall with the same condition as Riev's prf. The new debuff is basically that foes take 10 true dmg per hit, no conditions attached. Seems pretty nifty to deal with those pesky Hardy Fighter armors that like to live at like 4 HP. Being a blue mage is kinda eh, as that class feels a little oversaturated lately. 

S!Seth is the TT+ reward and he's going to have the same weapon as Lyon. Not too exciting when we have a lot of inheritable axes with more nifty effects. 

3 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Maybe she needed to keep matching with Tana? I mean, they both have young alts, same type of Resplendent, and now Eirika has a Summer alt like Tana. Just watch, by the end of the year Tana will get a Winter alt to complement Eirika's.

I don't see any reason for Eirika to be matching with Tana instead of her brother. It's not like Ephraim and Innes are matching, while Innes and Tana generally are.

2 minutes ago, Sunwoo said:

I don't see any reason for Eirika to be matching with Tana instead of her brother. It's not like Ephraim and Innes are matching, while Innes and Tana generally are.

It was just a humorous statement. But at this point they now match three times now.

Eirika: Beach Restorer is going to die to counter attacks. What she needs are Windsweep, Watersweep, and Desperation as Sacred Seals. Lots of nukes released in the past several years would also appreciate these Seals.

Nifl: Tropical Ice God is nice. That Firesweep would be very helpful so she can actually participate in combat more compared to her regular self.

Thórr: Sun-Kissed Gods is flying Blazing nuke, but only once per turn, so I am not too impressed. As a combat and support unit, I am kind of iffy too, since I do not think it is worth it to give up a Dancer/Singer just to deal a bit more damage. You can use her in a Save tank team too I guess so you can run something other than Breaths for the Sacred Seal, but Flayn and Elimine are just too good in my opinion.

Oh boy! I normally do not comment much on inheritable Weapons, but Coral Saber is really nice. That is better than a lot of old exclusive Weapons, even the Refined ones! In other words, can Hector get a Refine yet? Like, Hector is literally better off with an inheritable axe version of this Weapon than Armads.

Edited by XRay

Eirika is one of my favorite Sacred Stones characters, so on one hand, I'm not too bothered by her presence here. The same can be said of Lyon. Yet, at the same time, I'm disappointed that they fell back to Eirika and Lyon yet again when we could have gotten someone like Cormag, or Natasha, or Gerik, or Tethys. But, again, I'm not too upset, because I still really like Eirika and Lyon, and it's really neat seeing Seth finally get some attention. Shame that Seth's first alt is doomed to mediocrity, though.

And I'm also really, really glad that this banner wasn't completely and totally dominated by OCs. Phew.

I'm so used to LynCYL Eirika now that her regular look threw me off. Still looks a good unit, but neither she or the Duo unit are must-haves this time around despite flying mages being a class I like using. Will hold until I see what's available around the time the banner expires. I haven't even looked at last year's summer units and can't remember who they are since I wasn't around then so who knows if they're better.

I'm debating if i should try a few pulls for Eirika. It's sad that they did not give her canto 2 instead of just canto 1, didn't they give Eitri canto 2? And i'm sure if she had been a 3Houses character they probably would have, for the bias. Range flyers are in such a bad spot for B skills i wish they would at least be more daring when they give them personal B skills. It doesn't have to be fallen star, but still.

I wasn't expecting Eirika showing off her swimwear. But, it looks like Tana might be happy to see her friend finally appearing for the summer. (I was trying to remember what Tana said to Eirika, doesn't she said that Eirika was too nervous coming to the beach back then?)

1 hour ago, Nym said:

Lmao, the censorship for the goddess alt is hilarious.

Are you talking about Nifl or Thorr & Loki?

I really think Nifl had to wear her sun dress because she couldn't stand the heat due being an Ice Goddess. Plus, that she might have gotten that giant Shaved Ice to cool herself down from the heat.

Edited by King Marth 64

Um... what the fuck. Coral Saber is amazing for an inheritable weapon. It literally has the one effect that slow melee units want the most on top of a good stat boost. And it's on the banner's 4-star unit. And Seth's axe probably has the same effect. What the fuck is this. There's no way they're being this generous.

I'm torn between pulling for Nifl and Thorr.

On the one hand, Thorr is a Duo unit and will therefore be great for Arena scoring during her bonus weeks and after it. On the other hand, I already have three high-scoring units for my two non-Legendary slots and don't really need another unit for scoring. And while she's good, she doesn't really do anything out of the ordinary.

And on the other hand, Nifl is adorable. Her shaved ice changes color from blue to red when she attacks.

And we're finally getting tier-4 Oath skills. And they're amazing. Normal summoning pool when?

2 minutes ago, Sil/phire said:

It's sad that they did not give her canto 2 instead of just canto 1, didn't they give Eitri canto 2? And i'm sure if she had been a 3Houses character they probably would have, for the bias.

Eitri's Canto is limited to the first 4 turns. Units with Canto only on the first 4 turns get 1 extra range added to their Canto.

The only exception is Yuri, who has Canto (2), but his whole schtick is the fact that he has silly movement between both his weapon and his exclusive Assist skill. He probably got Canto (2) instead of Canto (1) to reflect the fact that his weapon gives him +1 movement.

Just now, King Marth 64 said:

Are you talking about Nifl or Thorr & Loki?

I'm pretty sure Thorr. The bottom half of her cleavage is covered by random floating things in every art of her.

11 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

I'm pretty sure Thorr. The bottom half of her cleavage is covered by random floating things in every art of her.

I'm pretty sure you're talking about the Water Effects or the Roses. I don't see any Thorr had any floats like Edelgard or Xander had. I did watch both the trailers that they were kept the same as it is.

Edited by King Marth 64

48 minutes ago, Humanoid said:

I haven't even looked at last year's summer units and can't remember who they are since I wasn't around then so who knows if they're better.

Last year's lineup had:

Hilda + Marianne (Staff Fly, Duo) / Ashe (Lance Cav) / Mercedes (R Tome Cav) / Caspar (Axe Inf, 4* Focus) / Leonie (C Bow Cav, TT)

Caeda + Plumeria (Axe Cav, Harmonic) / Freyja (C Beast Cav) / Freyr (R Beast Cav) / Ogma (Lance Inf, 4* Focus) / Norne (Lance Inf, TT)

Out of those units, the ones without Prf weapons were Mercedes, Caspar, Leonie, Ogma and Norne.

Hilda + Marianne are pretty support based (they grant +6 Atk and +1 Special cooldown charge per foe's attack to any allies within 2 spaces) and can inflict a -7 Atk debuff and Isolation with their Duo Skill while Caeda + Plumeria has Canto (2) mixed with effective damage against swords, lances, axes, colorless bows and armors, and they can refresh a Heroes or Archanean character with their Harmonized Skill.

36 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Um... what the fuck. Coral Saber is amazing for an inheritable weapon. It literally has the one effect that slow melee units want the most on top of a good stat boost. And it's on the banner's 4-star unit. And Seth's axe probably has the same effect. What the fuck is this. There's no way they're being this generous.

I probably should not have, but I spent my Orbs on the Three Houses Foci chasing after those thirteen guaranteed summons and Celestial Stones. I do not want to spend too much on this Foci, but Coral Saber is really trying to milk my wallet. I guess I am the target audience, since I would otherwise just snipe the goddess support units a leave.

Edited by XRay

The usual translation things:

The name of the banner, "Taken by the Tide", is "あの日の砂の城" (ano hi no suna no shiro), "The Sandcastle From That Day".

Eirika's epithet, "Beach Restorer", is "渚の優王女" (nagisa no yasa-ōjo), "Gentle Princess of the Shore". Her epithet in both English and Japanese is a reference to her normal version's epithet in their respective languages, but use different parts. In English, her normal version's epithet is "Restoration Princess". In Japanese, it's "碧風の優王女" (aokaze no yasa-ōjo), "Gentle Princess of the Blue Wind".

Caring Conch is "深き優しさの聖器" (fukaki yasashisa no seiki), "Sacred Vessel of Deep Kindness".

Moonlit Bangle F is "華月の腕輪・遠" (kagetsu no udewa: en), "Bracelet of the Brilliant Moon: Far". For comparison, Moonlit Bangle is "華月の腕輪" (kagetsu no udewa), "Bracelet of the Brilliant Moon", and Lunar Brace is "月の腕輪" (tsuki no udewa), "Moon Bracelet".

Atk/Spd Oath is "攻撃速さの信義" (kōgeki hayasa no shingi), "Atk/Spd Faith".

Nifl's epithet, "Tropical Ice God", is "南国の氷神" (nankoku no hyōjin), "Ice God of the Tropics".

Chilled Breath is "夏氷のブレス" (natsukōri no buresu), "Breath of Summer Ice".

S/R Near Trace is "速さ魔防の近影" (hayasa mabō no kin'ei), "Spd/Res Near Trace". The word "影" (ei) here means "trace" as in "a sign that something was there" referring to the fact that the attacker has moved away.

Lyon's epithet, "Sunlit Prince", is "陽光煌めく皇子" (yōkō kirameku ōji), "Imperial Prince Gleaming with Sunlight".

Coral Saber is "珊瑚の剣" (sango no tsurugi), "Coral Sword".

Thorr's epithet, "Sun-Kissed Gods", is "戦神たちの夏" (senjin-tachi no natsu), "The War God's (and Plus-One's) Summer". The Japanese suffix "たち" (tachi) is usually explained as making a word (always referring to something animate) plural, but that isn't quite correct. It more accurately means "and others" referring to others that are considered grouped with the word it's attached to. Compare to English where the plural pronouns ("we", "you", and "they") are all used in the same way ("I and others with me", "you and others with you", "he/she/they/it and others with him/her/them/it", respectively), which is not the same as an actual plural, which is necessarily exclusive of things that cannot be referred to individually by the singular form.

Divine Whimsy is "戦神と戯神の気紛れ" (senjin to gishin no kimagure), "The War God's and Prankster God's Whims".

Exposure is "弱点露呈" (jakuten rotei), "Expose Weakness".

Seth's epithet, "Silver-Sea Knight", is "浜辺の忠臣" (hamabe no chūshin), "Loyal Retainer of the Beach".

Seahorse Axe is "竜の落とし子の斧" (tatsu-no-otoshi-go no ono), "Seahorse Axe". The word for "seahorse", "竜の落とし子" (tatsu-no-otoshi-go), more commonly written entirely in kana as with other undomesticated animals as "タツノオトシゴ" or "たつのおとしご", literally means "the illegitimate child of dragons".

Edited by Ice Dragon

I feel like Oath 4 would have preferred having Null Panic on it instead of Rouse 4 having it, since triggering Oath 4 is more likely to get you Panicked. But then maybe that would have been a little TOO good...

• Eirika gets the slaying effect, 3 effects that all trigger when initiating combat, a post-combat effect, and a Prf skill modified from an existing one. Sigh... these units and their already having overpowered legendary/brave alts...
  • Nifl, instead of inflicting Flash on the enemy, just has a full Wind/Watersweep effect. Along with full NFU and the standard stat boost. Also slaying. I feel like she has even less reason for running Domain of Ice than her base form, but whatever it works still.
  • Atk/Def +5 and a guaranteed follow-up... damn, that sword is looking good. Imagine if equivalents were made for other weapon types, especially Ranged ones... shame that's all Lyon will probably be known for.
  • I just wanna say Exposure sounds weirdly worded. To me it sounds like the enemy is being allowed to deal more true damage, not that the enemy is being dealt 10 true damage.
    That said otherwise, Thorr/Loki look pretty good as AoE nukes.
  • Seth's first alt!

...I dunno, these units feel tame compared to the summer house leaders/Micaiah. Even the inheritable weapon effect, while great, still feels tame compared to the Whitecap Bow. Not bad, just tame.

...why did all of the summer units this year have to be units who have powerful Prf skills exactly? The only ones who don't are Elincia, Lyon, and Seth, all of whom also happen to have no Prf weapon. Even Claude the demote has a good Prf weapon and passive, and he's the demote.

Stats n' stuff [SPOILERS]:

Spoiler

jdqo4xnq2p991.png

Thorr & Loki
Super Asset(s): Atk, Res
Super Flaw(s): HP, Spd

Nifl
Super Asset(s): Spd
Super Flaw(s): HP, Def, Res

Eirika
Super Asset(s): Atk, Spd
Super Flaw(s): HP, Def

Lyon
Super Asset(s): Atk, Res
Super Flaw(s): none
*Atk/Def Ideal 3 is the 4* unlock.

Seth
Super Asset(s): Atk, Spd, Res
Super Flaw(s): HP, Def
*Kit is Seahorse Axe+ (axe version of Coral Sword+), Rally Up Spd, -, Spd/Def Catch 3, -, Def Tactic 3 [4* unlock]

Edited by Tybrosion

1 hour ago, Tybrosion said:

Hilda + Marianne are pretty support based (they grant +6 Atk and +1 Special cooldown charge per foe's attack to any allies within 2 spaces) and can inflict a -7 Atk debuff and Isolation with their Duo Skill while Caeda + Plumeria has Canto (2) mixed with effective damage against swords, lances, axes, colorless bows and armors, and they can refresh a Heroes or Archanean character with their Harmonized Skill.

Thanks, had a look and they're probably nothing I'd spend orbs on. Maybe the 3H Duo as a single-round gamble but there's something really off-putting about Caeda and Plumeria's faces. No strong feelings about any of the characters either and I'd probably rather have 2020's units even.

Eirika looks really nice this time around and Nifl does look pretty hilarious. Lyon looks about how you'd expect a summer alt for him.

Though I can't help, but think that they've retreated a little bit too much into safety this year around. Last year we had some unusual picks like Ogma and the year before we had like Selena and Lute. Now it just  like they opened up a can of main characters for both summer banners.