How do you beat the proper conduct tournament?

It says recommended level 20 but I'm level 22 Enlightened One with B+ in swords and two stat meals and I can't even beat the semi-finals. my Byleth has 47 hp, 22 str, 21 dex, 21 spd, 17 lck, 14 def, and 14 res. Equipment and battallions don't seem to affect tounraments. Is there any way to win this thing without having to burn a bunch of stat boosters on whats already one of my strongest units?

Is this some DLC quest? I'm not familiar with it, but the only expiration date for monastery quests is the time skip right? Or is it something you can only do on a certain day?

Try switching around Byleth's skills, or even trying on a different class. Stuff like Authority lv3 or the Enlightened One's class skills (except swordfaire) won't help in the arena.

Edited by Zapp Branniglenn

13 minutes ago, Druplesnubb said:

Can you do it in chapter 12 or do you have to do it in chapter 11?

I think you can do it whenever actually, but I think I usually do it right after Enlightened One. The stats that you mentioned seem reasonable for that point in the game. I guess I would have Death Blow as the only extra thing. Maybe with Sword Prowess you have to get lucky with dodges.

Sorry it's been a while, but I remember doing it pre-time skip after getting EO. What seems to be the issue, not enough damage?

If I have problems with it (which I sometimes do, depending on the stats/class of my Byleth), I'll just wait until Byleth has leveled up a bit and try it again. There isn't a whole lot of incentive for trying to rush to do it early. The rewards are OK, but nothing special, and having the quest active doesn't stop you from doing other tournaments, so there's really no rush. I assume that it goes away when you hti the timeskip, but I've never had a problem finishing it before that point.

2 hours ago, Zapp Branniglenn said:

Is this some DLC quest? I'm not familiar with it, but the only expiration date for monastery quests is the time skip right? Or is it something you can only do on a certain day?

I believe it's DLC, yes. At least, I'm certain that it was only added to the game post-launch, and the FE wiki says it's DLC only.

So one thing to note is that the tournament does not need to be accomplished in the month you receive quest.  If you're finding it too hard, you can just leave it be for a few in-game weeks and come back to it later.  I don't know if it expires later into the game, but it shouldn't for at least a few months.

Second, I'm guessing one of the problems you're having is that you're not getting follow-up attacks in the tournament, at least not against all of the enemies.  If you're getting two hits to your opponents' one, you should be able to defeat the enemies pretty easily.  If you're trading one-for-one, it'll be more of a slog.  So I'm guessing you need to boost your speed a bit.  I'm not sure what the stat blocks are for the opponents in the tournament, so I don't know by how much.

Third, Enlightened One kinda sucks as a class for Byleth in general, and doubly so in particular for this tournament.  Enlightened One is a class that gives supports a jack-of-all-trades support, giving small stat boosts across most stats and allows for both physical and magic attacking.  However, it doesn't allow for specialization in anything, and in particular this tournament doesn't let you attack with magic.  So a great deal of the benefit of using Enlightened One (being able to attack with physical or magic attacks) is negated because you are forced to only use swords.

I think the fastest way to fix this would be to change Byleth's class to a stronger option, at least for this tournament.  If you have B+ swords, you should at least be capable of attempting to get certification in Swordmaster.  Swordmaster is still a below-average endgame class, but it would give you a bonus 3 speed right off the bat even if you didn't gain another level.  You also may be able to get into Assassin, depending on if you've trained any bow so far, which would give a bonus 4 speed immediately compared to Enlightened One.  Assassin is at least a passable endgame class and would be a better option long term for Byleth, and certainly one that would not be too difficult to get into given you're current state.

12 hours ago, LoneStar said:

I think you can do it whenever actually, but I think I usually do it right after Enlightened One. The stats that you mentioned seem reasonable for that point in the game. I guess I would have Death Blow as the only extra thing. Maybe with Sword Prowess you have to get lucky with dodges.

Sorry it's been a while, but I remember doing it pre-time skip after getting EO. What seems to be the issue, not enough damage?

First there's the armor guy who takes way too long to kill. Then there's the mage guy who does 20 damage in a single attack. Then there's the merc guy who does 17 damage and always gets two attacks in due to vantage. Then there's Sylvain wh odoes 18 damage to my 12. I literally lose against him with full hp, and have to hope he misses with his 75% hit, and that's without factoring in him also having fucking Pavise. Haven't even reached the final fight yet. i'm at the end of chapter 11 which is generally when most pre-timeskip paralogues and such have their deadline.

On 7/6/2022 at 6:09 AM, Druplesnubb said:

It says recommended level 20 but I'm level 22 Enlightened One with B+ in swords and two stat meals and I can't even beat the semi-finals. my Byleth has 47 hp, 22 str, 21 dex, 21 spd, 17 lck, 14 def, and 14 res. Equipment and battallions don't seem to affect tounraments. Is there any way to win this thing without having to burn a bunch of stat boosters on whats already one of my strongest units?

Equipment and battalions indeed don't affect tournaments. Neither do stat meals, for future reference. Abilities do matter, of course - if you've gotten skills such as Death Blow or Darting Blow things will be easier, but even if not doublecheck your abilites to make sure you have all your relevant ones (e.g. Stat+2 instead of Vantage or Bow Prowess) equipped.

My suggestion is just to be in a Swordfaire class (Enlightened One works fine in my experience, though yes Swordmaster/Assassin might do slightly better) and keep trying after you gain some levels. I usually do this one in Chapter 10, though I've had to do it in 11 instead on some challenge runs. I imagine you can do it in Chapter 12 on non-CF. Not sure if it sticks around through the timeskip, but I doubt it'll be necessary.

22 hours ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

though yes Swordmaster/Assassin might do slightly better

You're right the abilities like Death Blow or Darting Blow would be more impactful, but if OP doesn't have those abilities already they would be a long way from getting them.  The main reason I suggested Swordmaster/Assassin is because it should be pretty quick to change into those classes given what we know about this Byleth's build to this point and would provide at least some benefit.  Only knowing Byleth has a B+ sword rank, we know they should have a 75+% chance to certify into Swordmaster without having to do anything else.

Being in Chapter 11 time is not dire, but there isn't infinite time either.

I once did it when my Byleth was a Pegasus Knight and I ended up getting a Brave Lance. I had Death Blow and Darting Blow unlocked at the time. But yea, if you want a stronger Byleth for this tournament Swordmaster is generally the better option.

Plus I think it depends on the weekend that you’re doing it don’t quote me on it, but you can get a variety of different opponents. Other passives like HP +5 and Speed/Strength + 2 also go quite nicely. Axebreaker is for that one Fortress Knight but otherwise not needed.

IIRC I managed to do it as soon as Byleth got Enlightened One. Swordfaire really helps.

Last time I did it was with Male Byleth. Checking my save file... ability load-out was Sword Prowess lvl 3, Death Blow, Hit+20, and Str+2. The last one seemed to be filler (model leader).

Mine had 32 strength at level 20 which is when I attempted it; I must've given him all my energy drops for it to get that high that early. On average I think their strength stat should be around 24 give or take by level 20, assuming a Commoner -> Fighter -> Brigand -> Archer -> EO class-path up to that point.

Edited by DaveCozy