Game suggestions

Capt. Fargus

Thinkin about picking up a PS5 this weekend. Need some suggestions for a few decent games for it since I been outta this loop for a good while

Obviously I like Fire Emblem. Heroes of Might and Magic I liked if anyone here knows that one. Always liked Final Fantasy and Dragon Warrior.... stuff like that. 

Thoughts?

If you're into JRPGs, I can highly recommend Yakuza: Like A Dragon! It's a JRPG with an outstanding plot, incredible side content and hundreds of hours of content, and one of my very favorite games.

Aside from that, the PS5 has access to classics like Bloodborne and the Demon's Souls remake, but I dunno if you're into Soulslikes or action games; if you are, though, both are definitely worth a look.

Finally, I'm told that Persona 5 is generally considered to be very good, and I think it's on PS5? It's also a JRPG, and the Persona series is kinda the one that made a bunch of other JRPGs turn into school simulators, such as Three Houses.

FF7R should be on PS5.  It's only the first third or so of the game, but it's well worth it.  If only to make Aerith more spirited.

On 7/7/2022 at 7:15 PM, Benice said:

If you're into JRPGs, I can highly recommend Yakuza: Like A Dragon! It's a JRPG with an outstanding plot, incredible side content and hundreds of hours of content, and one of my very favorite games.

Aside from that, the PS5 has access to classics like Bloodborne and the Demon's Souls remake, but I dunno if you're into Soulslikes or action games; if you are, though, both are definitely worth a look.

Finally, I'm told that Persona 5 is generally considered to be very good, and I think it's on PS5? It's also a JRPG, and the Persona series is kinda the one that made a bunch of other JRPGs turn into school simulators, such as Three Houses.

Whats a JRPG?

Well, I know what it stands for but whats really the difference between that and a western rpg? 

7 hours ago, Capt. Fargus said:

Well, I know what it stands for but whats really the difference between that and a western rpg? 

This is about a decade old, but it does try to explain the difference between the two

Technically there is a third part, but it is literally a decade out of date.

1 hour ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

This is about a decade old, but it does try to explain the difference between the two

Technically there is a third part, but it is literally a decade out of date.

The second part actually made a little more sense. If those are accurate, then I guess it could be said I like both

I own an Xbox Series X instead of a PS5, so I'll mostly be recommending titles that are available on both systems. 

I strongly second Benice's recommendation of Yakuza: Like a Dragon. Amazing story with an amazing new cast of characters + a few returning ones from the previous titles. Like a Dragon is technically the 7th Yakuza game in the series and turned it from beat-em-up into JRPG, though you don't really need to play the previous 6 in order to enjoy it. It's also the first Yakuza game since the original PS2 Yakuza to have an English dub if you prefer Engish voice acting for these kinds of games, but there's also the Japanese audio with English subtitles if you'd like. If you like JRPGs or at least harbor an interest in the genre, I highly recommend you give this game a shot. 

There's also the Judgment titles if you've got an interest in beat-em-up style games. Judgment is a Yakuza series spinoff that takes place in the same universe of Kamurocho, Japan. However, the story and characters are completely different from the main series its based on. You also don't need to have played the Yakuza games in order to enjoy these titles. 

(But enough of my Yakuza propaganda) As for a non-Yakuza related title, I'd recommend Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age. Fun Fact: Dragon Quest and Dragon Warrior are actually the same series, but it was called Dragon Warrior in the West (due to copyright concerns) until around 2005. Dragon Quest 11 has the same turn-based JRPG gameplay that the series is known for with a whole new cast of characters (including a new "Hero") in a big world to explore. It's only available to play on the PS5 thanks to backwards compatibility, but I recommend this one if you've enjoyed previous titles in the Dragon Quest series. 

I also recommend the titles that have been mentioned by the others above, though I should let you know that Persona 5 Royal is a very, VERY long game that takes around 100+ hours to beat. But I did enjoy it all the way through to the end, so if you've got the time and/or determination, then this title is definitely one you should pick up.

• 2 weeks later...

Take a look at Valkyria Chronicles Remaster. Similar vibe to Three Houses imo, has permadeath, overall a great strategy game. 

And for scratching the Heroes III itch I'd recommend Age of Wonders: Planetfall. Although the setting is sci-fi rather than high fantasy.