[CYOA] Jeralt's guide to raising children

Shrimpica

Prologue: Goodbye Fodlan

This is it, Jeralt knew. With the fire he just made, he needed to get his kids not only out of the monastery but preferably out of Fodlan and go as far away as possible.

He can't risk Lady Rhea getting her hands on the kids. Not when he didn't know what she did to them. When he wasn't even sure what happened to Sitri.

His best option was to go as far away as possible. And with his skills, he knew he could work as Mercenary anywhere.

The question was where to head to? Most countries around Fodlan don't exactly have the best relation with it, what's with the constant wars and invasions between them, so he probably won't be welcome there, and while the kingdom is improving relations with it's neighbors, the kingdom is also the nation closest to the church.

He couldn't risk it. He needed to go farther away.

So as far as he knew, Jeralt had three options:

• Jugdral. A continent with a similar system to that of Fodlan, Jeralt heard.
  • Tellius. Apparently a continent with animal people. Jeralt saw much in his more than a century of living, but never animal people.
  • A newly discovered continent with 2 countries, Nohr and Hoshido. Not much is known about that continent, not even it's name.

Soon he will reach the port, and until then, he should've made his decision.

Vote here!

Information post

Jo, everyone!

Welcome to my second attempt at a CYOA.

This is a plot bunny that didn't wanna leave my head lately, so i decided to just do it.

As for why i chose these 4 settings for the crossover, it's because they are the ones i am most familiar with.

Unlike my last CYOA, i won't be keeping a strict daily schedule, and deadline for vote will be between 24-48 hours. i also won't be using the forum poll function because it's a pain to edit, so i will be using strawpoll instead. Hopefully, we can see this through to the end!

-This post will get updated with more information and an index as the CYOA goes on-

Index

Party

Jeralt_portrait.png

Leader: Jeralt Eisner

Crest: Major Crest of Seiros

Classes: Paladin, Holy Knight.

Weapons: Lances, Swords, Light Magic.

Current Affiliation: Kingdom of Nohr

Party Members

Byleth (Class: Child), Bylass (Class: Child)

NPC

Spoiler
  • Anna

3Ap1s7E.png

Class: Adventurer

Weapons: Bows, Light Magic.

Current Affiliation: N/A

Kingdom of Nohr

Spoiler
  • Garon

yFulDHH.jpg

Class: King

Weapons: Axes, Swords.

Current Affiliation: Nohr

• Arete

55dtsvQ.jpg

Class: Valkyrie

Weapons: Anima Magic, Light Magic.

• Gunter

Gunter_official.png

Class: Great Knight.

Weapons: Axes, Lances, Swords.

Edited by Shrimpy

2 minutes ago, Awoken Dayni said:

So, twins I see.

Oh no, they're going to get split up in Fateslandia aren't they?

well, we will see where the choices will take us lol

5 hours ago, Awoken Dayni said:

So, twins I see.

Oh no, they're going to get split up in Fateslandia aren't they?

Byleth bought Birthright and Bylass bought Conquest. It wasn’t meant to be.

Chapter 1: Boat Maps and Pirate Booty, oh my~

Current Location: Derdriu, the Aquatic Capital

Port

Reaching his destination, Jeralt heads to the ship heading for the new unnamed continent. There, he meets a familiar face.

3Ap1s7E.png

She looks a bit different, but he's pretty sure that's the merchant that was able to sneak in his favourite yet not quite legal stuff.

"Anna, that you?" 

"Do i know you, Sir?" She responds, confused, then "Oh! You must be a valued customer of my sister at Garreg Mach!"

Sister? That merchant has a sister?

"I didn't know she had a sister." 

"Sisters." She tells him.

"Excuse me?"

"There are as many Annas as there're continents out there."

Huh. Anyway.

"What can you tell me about this new continent we're heading to, Anna?" He asks her.

"That's gotta cost you, Sir."

Well, seems all the sisters are the same in their love for money. But their merchandise is always on point, so...

"I will owe you one when we head to the new continent." He offers her.

"With interest?"

"With interest." He agrees.

"We have a deal". 

She tells him about the countries of Nohr and Hoshido, and the voyage starts.

'Farewell, Fodlan. Farewell, Lady Rhea.'

'Farewell, Sitri. I will take care of these kids until my dying breath.'

------------------------------------

-A few weeks later-

Enjoying the ride, taking care of the kids, fishing and thinking about the future. That's what Jeralt has been doing lately.

Nohr and Hoshido. He will have to head to one of these countries once he lands.

According to Anna, Hoshido is more peaceful and prosperous, and thus will be better for raising his kids.

But it will also mean he will have a harder time finding a job as a mercenary. Not to mention they are apparently wary of outsiders there.

Nohr on the other hand will offer better job opportunities, but it won't be as safe for him or his kids. If he was alone he would've probably went to Nohr, but now...

he has to think about this.

Readying himself to leave his cabin, he suddenly notices a commotion outside.

"PIRATE ATTACK!"

'Oh hell'.

Taking his trusty spear, the former captain of the Knights heads to battle.

They are no match for him, but their numbers are higher than expected.

A stab, a pirate down. A swing, another one goes down.

From the corner of his eye, he spots Anna fighting with some kinda magical bow and trying to keep them far away from herself. But sooner or later they will overwhelm her. Deciding to help her, he throws his spear at the pirate that almost hit Anna with his Axe, and jump after his spear and starts clearing the area around her of pirates.

"Can i consider my debt repaid?" He tells her and continues to take down pirates.

Anna just tsks and continues to shot the pirates with her bow.

A while later, they push the pirates back out of their ship and defeat them. Going to their ship with Anna and a few guards to inspect it, there he finds...

CPxY6yO.jpg

Pirate Booty.

From the corner of his eyes he can see Anna drooling at the sight.

"Yes, captain Jeralt, with this your debt is more than repaid." She tells him.

"Hey hey, calm down there, this isn't only yours. Let's split this among those who fought the pirates back." 

He needs the gold to raise his kids after all, and with this much money, even split among those who fought, he can live worry-free for a while.

"And what about your debt, captain?" She asks him.

"Already paid for it by saving your life." He responds.

"That's mean, captain. Anyway, i have a job proposal for you."

Oh?

"I am listening."

"Once we head to the new continent, i would like to hire you as a guard while i go around the countries."

Definetly not a bad proposal, Jeralt thinks to himself. Will offer him a steady income for a while too and he won't have to blow all the gold while he is searching for a new contract. However, moving around with two babies... He will have to think about it.

"Can you give me time? I will think it over." 

"Sure, captain, just give me an answer before we land." 

And so they take the gold back to split it and the voyage continues.

A few weeks later, they approach the continent.

And with that, Jeralt has to arrive to a decision. These are his options:

• Accept Anna's proposal.
  • Head to Hoshido.
  • Head to Nohr.

Chapter 1, End.

Vote here!

By the way guys, a small question that won't majorily affect the story, but might add some fun: Are you ok with some characters not from Fateslandia or Fodlan appearing? I was actually planning to introduce one here first and have them join Jeralt's party, but i thought i'd ask you guys first if you want that or not.

Poll up for 2 days!

Edited by Shrimpy

1 hour ago, Shrimpy said:

By the way guys, a small question that won't majorily affect the story, but might add some fun: Are you ok with some characters not from Fateslandia or Fodlan appearing?

Yeah, sure. The more craziness the better.

3 hours ago, Shrimpy said:

Are you ok with some characters not from Fateslandia or Fodlan appearing?

Sure, that way I get to bully you into putting characters I like in this.

8 hours ago, Shrimpy said:

By the way guys, a small question that won't majorily affect the story, but might add some fun: Are you ok with some characters not from Fateslandia or Fodlan appearing? I was actually planning to introduce one here first and have them join Jeralt's party, but i thought i'd ask you guys first if you want that or not.

I'm fine with that.

4 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Sure, that way I get to bully you into putting characters I like in this.

Maybe we can even add characters from ROM Hacks like Kelik, or Trachina SoHaE.

I'm voting for the glory of Nohr, so we can recruit Arthur as soon as possible.

Edited by AnonymousSpeed

I'd rather not use hack characters honestly.

I might use Kagasaga ones however. Will have to see however how to implement non Fate or Fodlan character into this. Especially since i don't wanna go full "Deeprealms".

Edited by Shrimpy

28 minutes ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

Yeah, can we ignore the 2nd half? Burn it to the ground? Or maybe burn her.

I'm really liking the idea of Kelik in this Fateslandia plot.

28 minutes ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

I'm voting for the glory of Nohr, so we can recruit Arthur as soon as possible.

When I first saw the post, the first thing I thought of was that Arthur is mandatory. I'm glad that we've come to make the correct conclusion for the setting. 

3 minutes ago, Shrimpy said:

Fair enough.

3 minutes ago, Shrimpy said:

I might use Kagasaga ones however.

I really hope Ruben doesn't go on a power craze.

Edited by Shaky Jones

22 minutes ago, Shaky Jones said:

Yeah, can we ignore the 2nd half? Burn it to the ground? Or maybe burn her.

26 minutes ago, Shrimpy said:

Mission accomplished.

22 minutes ago, Shaky Jones said:

I'm really liking the idea of Kelik in this Fateslandia plot.

When I first saw the post, the first thing I thought of was that Arthur is mandatory. I'm glad that we've come to make the correct conclusion for the setting.

Not the weirdest Fire Emblem crossover I've thought of. That would be the Three Houses crossover with Mega Man Star Force.

A real hero of justice for our army.

I thought Anna’s proposal sounded swell because, assuming everything goes how it sounds it will, we’d get both Nohr and Hoshido, which means both funny justice man and funny pineapple man. But well, looks like it’s probably not going that route.

5 hours ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

What's with the meme that I particularly care for that character, seriously

5 hours ago, Shrimpy said:

Understandable.

I might use Kagasaga ones however.

Karajan Sag-- Okay no, you still don't know the man, so you can't do Karajan Saga.

Sadly.

Will have to see however how to implement non Fate or Fodlan character into this. Especially since i don't wanna go full "Deeprealms".

You can say they are Garon's children now.

1 hour ago, Sooks said:

I thought Anna’s proposal sounded swell because, assuming everything goes how it sounds it will, we’d get both Nohr and Hoshido, which means both funny justice man and funny pineapple man. But well, looks like it’s probably not going that route.

No but you see, if we do that, it means less funny seed man. I cannot have that.

2 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

You can say they are Garon's children now

I still want the story to make some sort of sense xD

Yeah ik it's Fates, still...

5 minutes ago, Toncka said:

if your taking suggestions, then one of the awakening trio would make a great mercanary

They will have a bigger involvement in the plot for sure considering how much they know. How they will be implemented however will depend on how the story will go

Welp, looks like other options got ig-Nohr-ed.

Yeah yeah, I'll get set on fire.

On 7/11/2022 at 2:17 AM, Shrimpy said:

I might use Kagasaga ones however. Will have to see however how to implement non Fate or Fodlan character into this. Especially since i don't wanna go full "Deeprealms".

Are Deeprealms relevant for otherworldly characters? I didn't think any of them were.

3 hours ago, Awoken Dayni said:

Are Deeprealms relevant for otherworldly characters? I didn't think any of them were.

No... since the ones for that are the Outrealms. There's a difference.

Chapter 2: More than 300 years, only 1 language

'Damn that merchant'.

Jeralt cursed the merchant, for she forgot to tell him one of the more important pieces of information...

That the people of the new continent don't speak fodlani.

Now he is stuck alone with his kids, after he refused the merchant's offer, in an to him unknown land without the ability to communicate with it's people.

'In hindsight, i should've realised that, but i've lived more than 300 years only speaking fodlani.' 

And so the former captain of the knights of Seiros looks at the map and heads for the nohrian Capitel, Windmire, hoping to find a way to learn the language, a job contract and a safe place to raise his kids.

-A few months later-

All things considered, life wasn't going bad for Jeralt. He would even say he was doing pretty good!

Stumbling upon a village being raided by bandits and saving the village from said bandits landed him in the villager's good graces and a job as a guard.

Even if they don't understand each other's words. He's been slowly picking up the language though.

There's was even a family that took care of his kids from time to time. They even have a kid of their own that's a couple years older than his, Charlotte.

A poor but kind family. 

Hearing the people raising alarm, he leaves the kids with the family, takes his spear, and goes to take out some bandits....

Only to find their numbers bigger than usual this time.

'This will be hard.'

Each time a bandit goes down, two replace him.

Jeralt knew that at this rate, the village will be overwhelmed.

But he can't give up. Not when the village depends on him. Not when the only thing standing between the kids and the bandits is him.

And Jeralt is rewarded. Before the village is overwhelmed, a squad of knights arrives to aid him.

Gunter_official.png

And together they make short work of the bandits. 

After the clean up, he sees the squad leader approaching him, telling him something Jeralt doesn't quite understand yet.

"Sorry, Sir, i don't understand you." Jeralt tells him while shaking his head.

The leader of the knights look at him, and then

"You...same......Queen Arete."

speaks to him in broken fodlani.

'Wait, the Queen is from Fodlan?' Jeralt thought to himself, confused.

"The Queen?" Jeralt ask.

"Yes...Queen. Come with me." The knight tells him.

Saying his goodbyes to the village and to the family, thanking them and taking the kids, Jeralt goes with the knight to meet the suppossed fodlani queen.

Krakenburg.jpg

'Gotta say, the architecture of this plays is certainly unique.' Jeralts thinks to himself on his way to the castle.

Following the knight deeper inside, he sees an old man training with a young kid and the knight going towards them.

"He...king and prince." The knight tells him.

The knight bows to the king, tells him something and then the King tools at him.

yFulDHH.jpg

"You speak the same language as Arete, my knight tells me?" The king ask Jeralt in fodlani.

"Errm, yes, your Majesty." Jeralts asks while shaking the King's head, "Didn't know the queen was from Fodlan though?"

"Fodlan? Is that what her home is called? She never likes to speak of it for some reason."

'Probably a nobleman's daughter who ran away then.' Jeralt concludes.

"What's your name?" The king asks. 

"Jeralt Eisner, your Majesty."

"And did you use to be a knight of some sort?" The king continues with his questions.

"Yes, your Majesty. Did my posture give it away?"

"Not just that, Jeralt. But, before we go in and meet Arete, how about a spar?"

Chapter 2, End.

Vote here!

Poll up for 2 days.

Well, that was a meaty one, hopefully y'all enjoy this. I honestly wanted to write until the meeting with Arete, but i thought it would be better to stop here for today. 

Garon is not Ganon yet, so i am headcanon'ing him as a wise old king....for now. I will go a bit deeper into his life later. Maybe.

Arete is from Fodlan? That's a pretty interesting little idea. It's not like she got much development at all in Fates, so this isn't much of a stretch. This is a headcanon that would probably be interesting to explore--

2 minutes ago, Shrimpy said:

yFulDHH.jpg

GARON

YESSSSSS

BEST CHARACTER

BEST CHARACTER

HE'S HERE WOOOOOOOOOOOOO

...Wait, why isn't he acting hilariously evil? I am disappointed in you, Shrimpy... That wasn't even my best trap.

(Honestly though, got a feeling this is headed to him turning into Seedman halfway through. Not trying to tell you what to do, just... making a prediction)

4 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Arete is from Fodlan?

IcDBPnt.gif

4 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

got a feeling this is headed to him turning into Seedman halfway through.

That will really depend on choices and where they will take us XD

Edited by Shrimpy