What returning class that wasn't featured in Three Houses do you like to see appearing in the next brand new Fire Emblem Nintendo Switch (or next gen console) mainline title?

Since I was thinking of creating this thread for my ideal list of what returning classes that I do want to see brought back in the newer mainline games that released after Three Houses. I was thinking of starting off a list that I searched through from the Fire Emblem Wiki to see what wasn't included in Three Houses and see what I think which should return if there's going to be a new mainline Fire Emblem title released after Three Houses. I was thinking of so far was:

1. Gold Knight (I definitely think this should have been returned in Three Houses as the Cavaliers' Third-Tier class instead of using Great Knight Class as a Third-Tier class)
  2. Silver Knight
  3. Baron (could be useful for enemy and personal playable character classes)
  4. King (maybe use it on the new character as his personal third tier class similar to like how Edelgard became the first playable Emperor in the series)
  5. Priestess (Not the Cleric looking class, I was talking about like the ones used in Gaiden & Echoes: Shadows of Valentia)
  6. Griffon Rider (maybe have it returned as a separate flier class line outside of the Pegasus and Wyvern classes instead of returning it as a promoted unit for Wyvern Rider)
  7. Mage Knight (as a polar opposite of the Dark Knight)
  8. Halberdier & Sentinel (they deserve to come back in the series since they are a unique promotional class for the Soldier line)
  9. Ninjas (since Awakening (Myrmidons & Swordmasters) & Three Houses (Swordmasters & Mortal Servants) did have some little bit of Asain style parts outside of Hoshido, I do like to see some more Asain style classes brought back in outside of Hoshido settings)
  10. Prince & Princess (as personal class)
  11. Blade Lord (since Fire Emblem did majorly using Great Lords since Awakening, I do think some new main character should get the Blade Lord class since Lyn had used it for The Blazing Blade & Fire Emblem Warriors)
  12. Seraph Knight (as one of the Third-Tier classes deserves to be return, I don't understand why Seraph Knight wasn't brought back as a Third-Tier class in Three Houses instead of making Falcon Knight as the Third-Tier Class in Three Houses while Pegasus Knight as the Second-Tier class in Three Houses?)

If you had any ideas of what returning class that wasn't featured in Three Houses do you like to see appearing in the next brand new Fire Emblem Nintendo Switch (or next gen console) mainline title? Feel free to list them.

Edited by King Marth 64

Wait, returning as in it has already done it before, or it can also just be returning for the first time?

Because if the latter I'd say Brides, just for the hilarity of being able to make a bride army all over again. lol

Definitely Halberdier and Sentinel.

Another I'd like to see return that wasn't in Three Houses is the hero class. The hero class is generally a really cool class when it appears in Fire Emblem, and it is a real shame it never appeared in Three Houses.

Spoiler

Before anyone corrects me, this is a joke about how useless and redundant the hero class was in Three Houses, to the point where there was no reason to use it and there were few characters suited for it, and those that were suited for it were better off in other classes.

Baron would also be interesting; a general-like class that can use magic would be cool. That's something that Edelgard could've been if the armoured lord and emperor classes allowed the use of magic; it was a real shame that they didn't.

I'm probably in the minority, but I would like to see ballisticians return; they're a cool concept and I don't think that the concept has ever reached its full potential, so I'd like to see IS give ballisticians one more try.

The Ninja family would be nice to see return, but only if Shurikens come back. Hopefully nerfed, relative to their dominant role in Fates. Make them more into fast, mobile utility units.

Troubadour was also a peculiar omission - outside of DLC, no pre-Master magical classes had more than 4 movement. Having a horse was always neat for prior healers.

Finally, there be the Pirate. They earn their gold with axes bold, and sing a seafaring song; so bring them back! Let them attack, and waterwalk all day long!

Ninjas definitely. (With the shurikens of course). We need a Fire Emblem game with good writing attempt to tackle the ninja class characters. As cool as all 3 of then are in Fates, they are boring characters imo.

I agree with the picks people have already made of Halberdier and Troubadour. To them, I will add:

Dread Fighter. Because mage killer is an interesting feature to be able to add on to sword infantry units.

Kinshi Knight. I like the visual design here, shooting arrows from a flying mount is always cool, and air superiority is another fun niche.

Some sort of healer on a winged horse. Whether that's letting Falcon Knight heal again, a unique class like Elincia's or something else, I don't really care. I just want this combination back in some form. If it were me, I'd probably have a branching promotion for Pegasus Knight, with Falcon Knight being purely offensive and Seraph Knight getting healing access. But any other way of doing it would work too.

And while I'm here, two classes that I hope won't come back are Malig Knight and Ninja. Malig Knight is just personal preference, but I have a bit of reasoning when it comes to Ninja. I'm not sure I want to see any weapon types permanently added to the core FE weapon canon (sword, lance, axe, bow, tome, staff) and would rather that extra weapons -- like shuriken and gauntlets -- be a distinctive feature of their individual game. So, no more ninjas, but leave space for some other new weapon if they have good ideas for one.

I had to look it up to make sure I wasn't imagining it. Fates had the Apothecary class. Wow, I love that idea for fire emblem. A literal doctor, rather than a magic-using cleric. Taking a look at the associated skills they did for it...it looks like they just based it off some old school Final Fantasy abilities. Item Lore and Quick Drink. I would make it a proper support class where you deal drugs to allies. Compared to a healing staff, it would heal considerably less HP, but instead impart buffs and bonuses. This could be the replacement for Rallies, a dedicated Rally-er class.

And it's a huge lore opportunity to give us a world with both medicinal and magical health care. Most fantasy fiction skirts around such a fascinating topic. Like, if you can't use magic, what are you even doing trying to become a healer? How can you justify pushing the boundaries of medical science when magic is so much tidier? So much more natural. So much more godly. Would somebody in a fire emblem setting pass on life saving medicine, because they don't trust in it? That's a support chain right there. A side quest, even.

Edited by Zapp Branniglenn

Dread Fighters Give me my mage murderers back.

Halberdiers Because I like the idea of dedicated lance users.

Summoners  (From FE8, and functionally from SoV.) It's an interesting idea and could be explored more.

Edited by Wintails
Spelling

Definitely Ballisticians. They were really fun in Shadow Dragon and while they're not quite as good in Fates, they're still fun to use. It's amazing how well they fit into both games despite the games not actually being designed around their use. And while such I wouldn't want such long range weapons being seen as a core part or a necessity of the game, it would be fun to see how a game implements them knowing it's a tool the player has access to.

Another fun thing Shadow Dragon gave us was Xane's transformation class, the Chameleon. It's a useful thing in gameplay to have just another copy of your powerful units, and it's kind of naturally limited via weapons, HP and the risk of untransforming at an inopportune time. But more than anything I'd like to see it come back as I think there'd be great plot potential to have a character, particularly villainous characters, that can do that (Three Houses kind of had it but didn't use it a whole lot with its villains).

3 hours ago, King Marth 64 said:

similar to like how Edelgard became the first playable Emperor in the series)

Ahem

Sanaki_Artwork_FE10.png

Edited by Jotari

3 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Wait, returning as in it has already done it before, or it can also just be returning for the first time?

It can be either of them.

1 hour ago, Jotari said:

Ahem

Sanaki_Artwork_FE10.png

That's the Wrong class, Sanaki isn't an Armored Unit that I was referring to. The Emperor class has merely been used by Enemy Antagonists like (Book 2 Hardin and Arvis) till Edelgard became the first proper playable unit to get the Emperor class.

I do like to see the King class make a return since that was stuck to Zephiel for The Binding Blade for so long that hadn't been returned for 20 years.

Edited by King Marth 64

4 hours ago, King Marth 64 said:

It can be either of them.

That's the Wrong class, Sanaki isn't an Armored Unit that I was referring to. The Emperor class has merely been used by Enemy Antagonists like (Book 2 Hardin and Arvis) till Edelgard became the first proper playable unit to get the Emperor class.

What makes it a "proper" playable unit to get the Emperor class? All of these classes use different weapon types (closest to consistency is Sanaki and Alvis specializing in Fire Magic) and aren't even called the same thing in Japanese (the closest two are Sanaki and Edelgard where, rather amusingly, in Japan Sanaki takes the male form and Edelgard takes the female, while it's reversed in English). Hell Hardin and Alvis's classes have never even been localized and they might even end up going with different names for them if we ever do get remakes for them. So if wearing armour and being a villain is the only unifying factor then you might as well consider Sacred Stone's General Class an Emperor class since that's what Emperor Vigarde uses (obviously I'm joking, but my point is that these are actually separate classes that only appear to share a unifying theme).

Edited by Jotari

Honestly, I'm all for less classes, making it more streamlined. I'd love to see them keeping it to the following 8 classes: Swordfighter, Lancefighter, Axefighter, Archer, Mage, Cleric, Sorcerer, Thief. But then let them equip an affinity giving them added bonusses and penalties: Heavy Armor, Horse, Pegasus, Wyvern (and maybe Shield and Dual Wield).

That said, I'd love them to bring back Laguz, though they do need their role within the story and really fit in. (The Taguel in Awakening were great but it felt disconnected. Fates didn't do too much better on this regard.)

3 hours ago, Zapp Branniglenn said:

I had to look it up to make sure I wasn't imagining it. Fates had the Apothecary class. Wow, I love that idea for fire emblem. A literal doctor, rather than a magic-using cleric. Taking a look at the associated skills they did for it...it looks like they just based it off some old school Final Fantasy abilities. Item Lore and Quick Drink. I would make it a proper support class where you deal drugs to allies. Compared to a healing staff, it would heal considerably less HP, but instead impart buffs and bonuses. This could be the replacement for Rallies, a dedicated Rally-er class.

And it's a huge lore opportunity to give us a world with both medicinal and magical health care. Most fantasy fiction skirts around such a fascinating topic. Like, if you can't use magic, what are you even doing trying to become a healer? How can you justify pushing the boundaries of medical science when magic is so much tidier? So much more natural. So much more godly. Would somebody in a fire emblem setting pass on life saving medicine, because they don't trust in it? That's a support chain right there. A side quest, even.

I love this idea, Triangle Strategy did something similar and I'd love to see Fire Emblem have a crack at this beyong just some mentions by Manuella.

Ninjas - fun, and I like their focus on speed, debuffing, and mage-killing

Dread Fighters - The true mage-killers and such a fun class

Malig Knights - Magic wyvern riders. Magic wyvern riders. MAGIC WYVERN RIDERS

Pirate - I like this class

Nomadic Trooper - I know Bow Knight is pretty much the same thing, but I always liked Nomadic Trooper better. While I'm at it, Nomad. 

Gold/Silver Knight - This is a sort of conditional thing. I personally don't like the Tellius Duology class system in several cases, so I'm not really fan of this over Great Knight. THAT BEING SAID, I do think there's room for these classes, Great Knight, and Holy/Dark Knight, depending on the game.*

Dark Mage/Druid/Summoner - I miss GBA magic, honestly. It was simple and everything felt mostly balanced. Yeah, Dark Magic did kind of get the short end of the stick with units, but they were always at least fun to use...except for Sophia... I'd like to see a return to this. 

Priest/Bishop - Like I said, I miss GBA magic. 

Halberdier - I like infantry classes

Griffon Knight - I think it could be a flying sword unit to balance out the lance-using Pegasus Knights and the axe-using Wyvern Riders. 

Kinshi Knight - The Bow version of the above. 

23 hours ago, Jotari said:

Definitely Ballisticians. They were really fun in Shadow Dragon and while they're not quite as good in Fates, they're still fun to use. It's amazing how well they fit into both games despite the games not actually being designed around their use. And while such I wouldn't want such long range weapons being seen as a core part or a necessity of the game, it would be fun to see how a game implements them knowing it's a tool the player has access to.

I'm glad I'm not alone in wanting to see ballisticians return. They have a lot of potential.

Yeah; they were really fun in Shadow Dragon; their only real problem being their extremely low movement. Obviously, a dedicated long-range unit should have some sort of drawback, but I think their inability to double-attack and the fact they can't fight back at close range was enough.

11 hours ago, Use the Falchion said:

Griffon Knight - I think it could be a flying sword unit to balance out the lance-using Pegasus Knights and the axe-using Wyvern Riders. 

Everyone always seems to want to see Griffon Riders using swords despite their sole appearance being an axe wielding class. I can kind of get it as sword is the missing weapon from the aerial weapon triangle, but I'd much rather see Pegasus readopt swords and make it their main thing. Just fits them better as a weapon (at least in games where weight is a thing). I'm also fine with draco knights going back to lances so griffons can retain axes.

6 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

I'm glad I'm not alone in wanting to see ballisticians return. They have a lot of potential.

Yeah; they were really fun in Shadow Dragon; their only real problem being their extremely low movement. Obviously, a dedicated long-range unit should have some sort of drawback, but I think their inability to double-attack and the fact they can't fight back at close range was enough.

I honestly never even found their limited movement much of a problem in Shadow Dragon (I did in Fates despite several skills designed to boost it). The range is so crazy high that you can reach pretty much anywhere you need to reach from the starting position. Honestly, I think I'd even go crazy and reduce their movement even further to just 1 or 2 squares in exchange for more accuracy and power.

Edited by Jotari

3 hours ago, Jotari said:

I honestly never even found their limited movement much of a problem in Shadow Dragon (I did in Fates despite several skills designed to boost it). The range is so crazy high that you can reach pretty much anywhere you need to reach from the starting position. Honestly, I think I'd even go crazy and reduce their movement even further to just 1 or 2 squares in exchange for more accuracy and power.

Huh; for some reason, I misremembered their movement as only being 1-2; never mind.

19 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

Huh; for some reason, I misremembered their movement as only being 1-2; never mind.

It might be because they get hit with some weird terrain blocks. Most notably the one that traps beck in a forested area in the map he joins.

1 hour ago, Jotari said:

It might be because they get hit with some weird terrain blocks. Most notably the one that traps beck in a forested area in the map he joins.

Yeah; that's probably the reason. I do remember Beck being trapped in that one tiny area in the Wooden Cavalry chapter.

Personally not a fan of ballisticians as a class. The ballista-on-a-cart looks silly to me, and map designs really needs to become focussed around them. I would however like it if more maps included one or more ballista, they can make certain maps more interesting.

On 7/16/2022 at 1:22 AM, Samz707 said:

Bard because it's a fun dancer alternative.

I second bard.

I'd like to see Halberdier as well. But with something more unique that lets it stand out from the mounted lance wielding classes. It'd be neat if they got a way to charge at enemies that are 2-squares away with 1-range lances for instance. Just spitballing.

On 7/13/2022 at 10:24 PM, vanguard333 said:

Before anyone corrects me, this is a joke about how useless and redundant the hero class was in Three Houses, to the point where there was no reason to use it and there were few characters suited for it, and those that were suited for it were better off in other classes.

The strange thing about Hero imo in 3H is that it's male-only, I hope they don't do gender-locked classes again generally. But it's far from being a useless class.

Late joining units in Seteth, Jeritza and Alois who all have Battalion Wrath can make for good short-term Heroes and set up a resource-cheap enemy phase unit. Jeritza can already certify it, Seteth is really close, even Alois with goal setting and tutoring on swords (Byleth naturally leans towards them) and saint statues by that point can reach C rank and do the Hero exam by the next chapter latest. Combine innate Vantage + Battalion Wrath, a high crit battalion set up beforehand, forged crit weapon and a breaker skill to handle high movement enemies that come in packs; relevant e.g. include Jeritza with Swordbreaker in ch14 CF to handle the aggro Wyvern Lord reinforcements, or Seteth / Alois with Lancebreaker in ch12 and ch14 in every other route to handle the Pegasus Knights and Cavaliers/Paladins.

There's also Defiant Strength upon mastery, which combines nicely with two of the Vengeance users (Dedue and Cyril). Your mileage will vary depending on your playstyle pace, but still, I see a lot more reason to use Hero over the likes of the Swordmaster, the Meme Savant or unHoly Knight classes. I'd call Hero in 3 Houses niche, but not useless.

Edited by DaveCozy

• 2 weeks later...

They've all been pretty much said, but I just want to add in my thoughts:

• Kinshi Knight or any flying bow class -- I love flying classes, I like bow classes, and having 2-in-one was a really cool idea imo
  • Malig Knight -- Malig Knight was kind of a missed opportunity in Three Houses, since units like Edelgard and Annette could have made really good use of a magic/axe class, and the class being a flier would be a bonus
  • Gold Knight -- Gold Knight again was kind of a missed opportunity, but moreso in Three Hopes. Three Hopes pushed having a master tier, and Gold Knight would have been a great physically-oriented option for Cavalier units.
  • Seraph Knight -- Same as above but for Falcon Knight. Pegasus Knight has by far the weirdest progression out of any class in 3H/3Hopes because it lacks an advanced tier, so having the class go from Pegasus>Falcon>Seraph would have just been a much smoother progression.
  • Griffon Rider -- Griffon Rider has kind of a sad reputation, I mean it was a very below-average performing class in Awakening and never got a chance to shine after that. I feel like it needs a second chance (and a Griffon even appears on the Blue Lions insignia ?)
  • Unisex Pegasus classes -- I've mentioned time and time again about how much disdain I have for the gender-lock and I'm tired of debating about it, but I just want male Pegasus Knights back 💀

5 hours ago, LJ_Reflet said:

They've all been pretty much said, but I just want to add in my thoughts:

• Kinshi Knight or any flying bow class -- I love flying classes, I like bow classes, and having 2-in-one was a really cool idea imo
  • Malig Knight -- Malig Knight was kind of a missed opportunity in Three Houses, since units like Edelgard and Annette could have made really good use of a magic/axe class, and the class being a flier would be a bonus
  • Gold Knight -- Gold Knight again was kind of a missed opportunity, but moreso in Three Hopes. Three Hopes pushed having a master tier, and Gold Knight would have been a great physically-oriented option for Cavalier units.
  • Seraph Knight -- Same as above but for Falcon Knight. Pegasus Knight has by far the weirdest progression out of any class in 3H/3Hopes because it lacks an advanced tier, so having the class go from Pegasus>Falcon>Seraph would have just been a much smoother progression.
  • Griffon Rider -- Griffon Rider has kind of a sad reputation, I mean it was a very below-average performing class in Awakening and never got a chance to shine after that. I feel like it needs a second chance (and a Griffon even appears on the Blue Lions insignia ?)
  • Unisex Pegasus classes -- I've mentioned time and time again about how much disdain I have for the gender-lock and I'm tired of debating about it, but I just want male Pegasus Knights back 💀

Gold Knights would have been great in Three Houses too. As giving an easily acessobale pure cavalry option would have been nice. Advanced classes generally are as good as Master Classes, but Paladins seems unpopular enough that it could deserve a straight upgrade like Wyvern Lord.

4 hours ago, Jotari said:

Gold Knights would have been great in Three Houses too. As giving an easily acessobale pure cavalry option would have been nice. Advanced classes generally are as good as Master Classes, but Paladins seems unpopular enough that it could deserve a straight upgrade like Wyvern Lord.

That's really weird to hear, Paladins are one of the better classes in that game if you ask me. There's plenty of good lances and combat arts to pair them with, and unlike Wyverns it can equip grounded battalions and adjutants for better support effects. Even if just using a paladin for support; not a flashy role to just gambit or shove, then canto away. But still useful given the mobility they have.

I think it's a pretty good class in 3H, I dunno. I guess Koei wanted Great Knights and Bow Knights to be the "upgrades" though in practice having near-identical stat mods and also having to deviate to another rank in something entirely different to certify does make them more of a "side-grade" more than anything, for most units anyway. Just guessing.

10 hours ago, DaveCozy said:

That's really weird to hear, Paladins are one of the better classes in that game if you ask me. There's plenty of good lances and combat arts to pair them with, and unlike Wyverns it can equip grounded battalions and adjutants for better support effects. Even if just using a paladin for support; not a flashy role to just gambit or shove, then canto away. But still useful given the mobility they have.

Paladin also has the highest Strength modifier of any Lancefaire class (yes, Great Knight actually loses Strength relative to Paladin). Ergo, it's an ideal class for your Swift Strikers, or for anyone with a Brave Lance. Sure, it's not as good as Wyvern Lord overall, but Wyvern Lord is probably the single-best widely-accessible class in the game.