Maps concept

JungleGoutte01

Here is a little topic for those who want to share how they would design a map for a Fire Emblem game. Here's mine

The level takes place early in the game. The goal is to seize the castle in the center. In this map there are several pre-promoted units. The castle is located in an island. The two bridges leading to the island are guarded by a General each. There are two villages in the map, one near the North bridge and one on the bottom of the map. In the north village, you'll find an armorslayer.

You start on the North-West of the map with your Lord, your red and green knight, 1 mercenary, a priest, an archer and a Paladin (your Oifey). The strategy is to carefully advance and use your Oifey to deal with the promoted units. To defeat the Generals, the best way is to visit the North Village to get the armorslayer and then use your Paladin. The boss is a level 2 Paladin with a Steel Sword and a Silver Lance. When defeated, he drops a master seal. The south Village will give you a C-rank weapon. The promoted units are 5 generals, 1 paladin, 1 Halberdier and a Bishop

Let me know what you think, and share your ideas.

I'd like to see a defend map that feature three siege engines targeting a wall or gate or something. The gate has a certain amount of HP that you can deduct only  by having a unit use the siege engines each turn. Meanwhile you have to fend off enemies who are attacking the siege engines. So you can use the siege engine three times a turn to try and hurry up and clear the level, but in doing so you expose them to more danger as you're giving up the actions of three units. If all three siege engines are destroyed then you lose.

1 hour ago, JungleGoutte01 said:

You start on the North-West of the map with your Lord, your red and green knight, 1 mercenary, a priest, an archer and a Paladin (your Oifey). The strategy is to carefully advance and use your Oifey to deal with the promoted units. To defeat the Generals, the best way is to visit the North Village to get the armorslayer and then use your Paladin. The boss is a level 2 Paladin with a Steel Sword and a Silver Lance. When defeated, he drops a master seal. The south Village will give you a C-rank weapon. The promoted units are 5 generals, 1 paladin, 1 Halberdier and a Bishop

Sounds pretty solid. I imagine the Paladin boss can be trivialized with ranged attackers? But maybe that's intended, IDK.

34 minutes ago, Jotari said:

I'd like to see a defend map that feature three siege engines targeting a wall or gate or something. The gate has a certain amount of HP that you can deduct only  by having a unit use the siege engines each turn. Meanwhile you have to fend off enemies who are attacking the siege engines. So you can use the siege engine three times a turn to try and hurry up and clear the level, but in doing so you expose them to more danger as you're giving up the actions of three units. If all three siege engines are destroyed then you lose.

I like this, but I'd make it so your units can attack the gate directly as well. So, it's quicker to use the siege engines, but it's not the only way to win.

Anyway, I like maps with unusual objectives. Like RD 3-3, where you need to burn all the supplies within a time limit. A map where you have to acquire certain plot-important items, before Thieves abscond with them, could be really interesting. Usually items are used as "side objectives", but I think they could work as a "main". Especially if we're talking about a legendary weapon, or perhaps the "Fire Emblem" itself.

23 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Sounds pretty solid. I imagine the Paladin boss can be trivialized with ranged attackers? But maybe that's intended, IDK.

Well Three Houses (or rather Heroes) introduced distant counter allowing bosses to carry 1 range weapons without being cheesed. That being said, I would really like it if there were a cavalry boss that guarded a throne but made use of canto. So he would move to attack, but only if you're in half his range so he can canto back to the throne on enemy phase. It'd be quite a surprise for a blind player to see a boss act that way, but even for repeat playthrough it would establish a dangerous zone to enter that you have to be careful of (maybe you can give him a movement ring or something to make his range bigger and hint it's something he might do). At the same time, enemy phasing him would be a viable strategy as he would be attacking without throne bonuses.

Edited by Jotari

Ok here is a second map concept.

The goal of the mission is again seizing a castle, but the castle is on a mountain which can only be reached by a small road or flying. The castle is guarded by snipers and mages with wind magic. The road is locked by a general using a tomahawk. There are 2 ballistas (left and right). The boss is a sniper with a killing bow. The rest of the level is filled with basic units. The map is under a blizzard, every unit has an accuracy malus when attacking at 2 squares or more. On hard mode, the ennemy doesn't have any malus.

The best strategy for this map is to use your myrmidons and swordmasters to kill the snipers and the mages.

Let me know what you think.